The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

i think a lot of people are like that

have you considered it as a career path?

Not really? I don't have the same level of passion for it that I do for transportation, so...
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    fair enough
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    FAVOURiTE STAR CHARACTER LIST

STAR:
    Central Avenue, Miko

MARCO:
    Tre, Tachyon

PONY HEAD:
    Section42L

TOFFEE:
    Crystal
    actually i like Star maybe more, i'm not sure

Marco is more relatable for me
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I think Binding of Isaac would cause Aliroz to literally explode.

Like, there wouldn't even be an emotional reaction, the contact would just instantly trigger an explosion the size of a small atomic weapon.
  • i forget a lot of the time that the binding of isaac is kinda offensive to a good number of people
    mostly the binding of isaac strikes me as grotesque
  • edited 2015-08-22 02:55:28
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    You guys would only force me into contact with Binding of Isaac (or similar level things) in case of emergency, right?

Like that episode of Fosters where Bloo had to give Mac sugar to defeat the zombies.

Here Lies Aliroz.

Exploded To Save Us All.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    BoI seems interesting, gameplay wise, but it is kinda gross.
  • BoI seems interesting, gameplay wise, but it is kinda gross.

• kill living beings
    it's really gross

their other games are also gross

gross
    SHEER DISGUSTINGNESS
  • it's really gross

their other games are also gross

gross

It says something that a game with a talking fetus is one of their tamer works.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    I really don't like how the Battletech community tends to have some really pessimistic people who won't be satisfied with anything. When the new game got announced there were like 4 people going on about how they won't get screwed again and aren't going to be interested all because the last time a tactical Battletech game happened it got cancelled and this is from a different company entirety.

I'm also not a fan of the general response to "Hey, why not push for the old games on GOG" because they always say that the rights are a mess and it won't happen.

Basically I wish there'd be a shred of optimism in them
  • naney said:

i forget a lot of the time that the binding of isaac is kinda offensive to a good number of people

I'm pretty sure it'd be up my alley if it wasn't inherently disgusting to me. That's the sad thing.
  • edited 2015-08-22 03:36:59
    My dreams exceed my real life
    Play the first Legend of Zelda.
    Can someone explain to me what The Binding of Isaac is and what is so offensive about it? First person to do so to my satisfaction gets a Princess Token.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    I remember hearing that one of the devs was a bit rude.
  • Can someone explain to me what The Binding of Isaac is and what is so offensive about it? First person to do so to my satisfaction gets a Princess Token.

a video game, based, gameplay-wise, on The Legend of Zelda and roguelikes.

It is offensive to some people because it uses A) quite a lot of toilet humor and B) pokes fun at many different aspects of Christianity, also, the main villain is a mother who is trying to kill her son because God* told her to.
    Also you can't aim in more than four directions, which is annoying to anyone who expects Robotron controls.
  • The gameplay's excellent, obvs, the religious dressings (well, more like eviserating Christian apocrypha and draping its intestines over it) are interesting to an extent. It's just something I don't want to spend money on.
  • the binding od isaac is a video game where you play as a small boy who is trying to escape his mother who is trying to murder him because she thinks god is talking to her after watching too much christian television, these things may or may not be metaphors. the whole game might be a metaphor. who knows

this takes the form of a roguelike where isaac (the boy) collects items which generally change his appearance in interesting ways and battles bosses and stuff

much of the content is sacrilegious/scatological/crude in some manner, and the art style is moderately cutesy
    Has Edmund McMillen ever even read Fear and Trembling? I doubt it.

#Owned
    Odradek said:

Has Edmund McMillen ever even read Fear and Trembling? I doubt it.

#Owned
    yeah I thought that too.

also there is poop. lots of poop
    Look at my horse

my horse is amazing
    RUTH IS A LIGHTWEIGHT
    A GIGGLING GEEKBAIT
    I'M HERE TO THRASH HER
    THAT'S WHAT I SAAAAAID
    *gives Jane a Princess Token for being first, like I said, but also gives Naney one because his explanation was more thorough*

It's basically just a little coin with a picture of my face on it that says "THIS IS NOT MONEY"
  • [00:03:10] <GMH> ok
    [00:03:15] <GMH> so i've installed google earth again once
    [00:03:23] <GMH> and once again the installer just zips through and gives me no options
    [00:03:41] <GMH> it installs to C:\Program Files (x86) , specifically
    [00:04:47] <GMH> so now i need to change Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion which has the key ProgramFilesDir (x86) with value C:\Program Files (x86) to C:\
    [00:05:09] <GMH> or to C: without the backslash? since "C:\Program Files (x86)" has no trailing backslash
  • See, this is why it's important to figure out exactly which letters/numbers/spaces/characters are in a string proper.

Because whether there is a backslash at the end can mean a lot.

That's why it's important to include punctuation that's originally part of a quote inside the quotation marks, and exclude punctuation that's not originally part of a quote from that space.

That way, the text indicates as unambiguously clearly as possible exactly what happened and what is being quoted.
  • incidentally i think that tells me that Google Earth is a 32-bit program
    ...Why do you even use Windows if you hate its design to the point where you won't use "Program Files"??
    I have only half-functional internet access right now

Works: HH, Something Awful, Twitter

Doesn't work: Google, YouTube, Tumblr

It had the audacity to throw up a "youtube.com does not exist" error, even!
    youtube has been defeated at last
  • ...Why do you even use Windows if you hate its design to the point where you won't use "Program Files"??

Because I like other parts of its design, and it's also by far got the most compatibility with various software, including but not limited to games?
  • Also if anything Google (Earth) is at fault for not providing an alternative installation directory option.

However, I discovered a simpler fix, though I am not sure whether this is perfect.  Simply move the Google Earth folder to C:\, out of C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    what the fuck
  • for some reason farfetch has decided that i am in germany and will not change its mind
    And for anyone who's wondering, it's not just the iPad; I tried it on another computer connected to the same wifi and it doesn't work there either.
  • ah now that is better
  • Something is hijacking your DNS or whatever the right way of describing it is.
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-08-22 05:39:07

Tachyon said:

i don't think LW even reads this thread

I read it regularly, actually. I just rarely have much to post.

Part of the reason why I dislike swearing is because of the stuff you mentioned about the use of words as sexist terms of abuse.

I think gendered and sexual swears (the two often go hand in hand in my experience) can be harmful to the extent they are abusive and frequently inject sex into a context where it is not relevant. I understand that sometimes (often perhaps) people use swears simply because they want to express a strong emotion and they do not necessarily intend them as targeted harassment. That said, I do not think that a lack of a malicious intent justifies continuing to use words that can hurt.

Aside from that reason, I mostly dislike swearing because it is just generally unpleasant. That probably sounds a bit silly, but if the point of swearing is to express a super strong emotion, then I think using swears regularly can make one come off as abrasive and unfriendly. I do not think that people who swear are automatically awful people or anything like that though. At this point, I can tolerate it even if I still do greatly dislike it.
  • I don't think I've ever found an occasion when "cunt" or "dick" would be functionally different from "asshole", or even "jerk".

Unless the speaker wants to highlight the person's gender, in which case I say it's an invalid highlighting of gender anyway.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.

fuck simplified chinese

You just need more practice.
  • naney said:

for some reason farfetch has decided that i am in germany and will not change its mind

it knows where you should be, at least
    years ago in Germany
  • MachSpeed said:

fuck simplified chinese

You just need more practice.
    fuck simplified chinese, glory to traditional chinese
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    You need more practice.
  • *opens up a doctor's office*