General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Sex Grips said:

This game is probably gonna be good.

VA-11 HALL-A (they did a really good job of making themselves unsearchable; alt title is "waifu bartending") is a more-animated-than-usual VN where the player's agency is mixing drinks for people as a bartender in a cyberpunk bar. Different drinks, different conversations. There are other similar mechanics in different intermission scenes throughout the game. I like the mechanic and I like the focus of the story (here's a dystopia, but this is about talking to people who live in this dystopia and happen to be visiting your bar). The main page there links the devs' Twitter accounts (@sukebangames has the most game-relevant content)  but the blog is also good for browsing and learning more (and looking at pretty sprite art, of course).

this is cute
  • Ich bin ein jelly doughnut

At least Chicken isn't one of your favorites

Still haven't even figured out how to unlock Rebel
    You have to loop.
    Welp.

Goodbye, Rebel. I shall see you again never.
    The final release will probably keep this requirement, but until they do the final release, youcan just press the "UNLOCK ALL" button on the main menu.
  • So Steam just put trophies on KOTOR II.  The fact that several of them are misspelled is a fantastic sign.

Apparently the update made the game even more crash-prone too.
    imageyoop
    you'll see....you'll all see
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I was surprised when I learned that too.
    A lot of childhood characters were essentially agendered in my mind.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!

This is all part of the process, I swear.
  • Fun fact: Roller Coaster Tycoon was written in Assembly.  Because Chris Sawyer hates himself, I guess.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    He also doesn't like OpenTTD because Transport Tycoon Deluxe was fine as is according to him.

I appreciate him for what he did and coding something in assembly like that takes some serious skill, but that's a pretty low blow considering that TTD has some stuff that was streamlined by OpenTTD.
  • naney said:
    This looks interesting.

I hope it gets an English release.
  • Discovery: Golden Crossbow and Golden Shotgun are all sorts of cool in terms of starter weapons.

Also, two more sightings of the Nuclear Throne as YV. I thought I had resolved the 'not enough ammo' thing. I have not.
  • I didn't know you could unlock gold weapons until tonight, and then I thought you got to keep the weapon forever so I unlocked three more gold weapons
  • edited 2015-08-21 17:21:59
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut

Discovery: Golden Crossbow and Golden Shotgun are all sorts of cool in terms of starter weapons.

Also, two more sightings of the Nuclear Throne as YV. I thought I had resolved the 'not enough ammo' thing. I have not.
    I just jump allll over the ammo mutations. Open Mind is real nice, since it also helps you get the bigger weapon chests more often.

Keep in mind that, when opening ammo chests, the ammo you get is for the weapon you currently are wielding. Also, if you find a weapon whose ammo category is basically full and one of your weapons is basically empty, do consider switching for it, even if said weapon isn't great. If you get the right mutations, YV can compensate for said weapons' crappiness (or, worst case scenario, you just lean on it for undemanding situations.), and it's almost always better to have something you can use than to hope for ammo for something more effective.

I have, thankfully, never encountered this.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Been playing Shadowrun: Hong Kong. It's basically Dragonfall, but bigger in pretty much every way, which I have no complaints about. The writing is still great too. In particular, there's Racter, one of your party members, who at first mostly seems to be a slightly mad transhumanist engineer.

(Note, due to how SR's storytelling works, this is unfolds over the course of like, five missions. You only get small tidbits after each run.)

Early on in his storyline, Racter explains that he believes the limitations of essence can be surpassed (in Shadowrun, everytime you install cyberware, you are essentially ripping out part of your soul, signified by essence. Get to 0 and... really nasty stuff happens.) Later on, he reveals that he was cut in half during an accident, and that he is actually cybernetic from the waist down. He states that this has had no effect on his essence, and that he believes this to be due to his (self-admitted) psychopathy, and that therefore, psychopathy is the next step in human evolution, allowing us to break our limitations in regards to cybernetics.

Throughout it all, the writing absolutely nails just how unsettling it actually is to talk to a guy like this, and I love it. Also the game gives you the option to flat out say "Actually, no, that sounds terrifying.", which is always nice.
    The Shadowrun guys are making a Battletech game next. I'm pretty excited for it.
    unpopular opinion: smash bros brawl had the best #content
  • edited 2015-08-22 03:46:56
    Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    Brawl was okay but the adventure mode was bad

Also I wasn't fond of the music sometimes being "multiple rearrangements of the main theme" including the target test music which wasn't as great as the music from Melee
    It takes all kinds, Glenn. Especially in Brawl.
  • edited 2015-08-22 16:40:56
    I'm not really big on Battletech's story but if someone's gonna animate some Battleteching and maybe make us an online client, I'm all up for that. The setting's tech is a ton of fun to play with.

(If you want to play Battletech online, you can already do this, of course, but. a fancy and official client is always nice!)

EDIT: lol oops prior page post

EDIT EDIT:
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Best new Nuclear Throne feature: Once you loop, IDPD trucks start busting through the walls.
  • edited 2015-08-23 00:38:09
    yeah i just saw that and it's fucking awesome lol

c leaderboards for my daily
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Yeah.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-08-23 06:50:58
    Please tell me that image is at least a year old.  Because it would be so much funnier if it predated the new Smash Bros.
    I don't even know
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    It looks like a Perry Bible Fellowship strip.
  • edited 2015-08-28 00:37:07

Now I remember why I never put much time into CK2. I've been trying to fabricate a claim for 25 years and it still hasn't happened.

Edit: Within 10 mintues of me saying this, I finally got a claim.
  • Va-11 Ha-11-a looks really interesting, horrible name aside.
    it is a pretty awful name, lol. they did it because they figure it'd be better for search engines but it turns out -s are used by google, etc. to exclude words from searches.

I mean if you put it in quotation marks you'd get it anyway. but it's ridiculous
  • hey Stealth Inc. 2 is free today on humblebundle if anyone cares

I haven't played it but I've played the game it's a sequel to and I like it a lot.
    Finally playing through Resonance of Fate.

The music in this game is endearingly obnoxious.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-08-30 04:45:27
    Playing Monster Hunter 4.  I really, really want to like it, because it does a lot of things right in a way that not a lot of other games try to.  And I'll admit it's the first Monster Hunter game I've played, so part of my frustration is learning curve.  But it's difficult to get over how unnecessarily slow almost everything is.

Like, swinging oversized weapons around at a somewhat believable speed or taking believable time to recover from getting knocked across the goddamn room is one thing.  Great, it conveys a sense of power and makes a good strategic gimmick.  What annoys me is how even basic shit like harvesting resource nodes or using items is artificially stretched out with either superfluous animations or making you do it several times.

I duck around a corner to take one second to quaff a potion that refills half my health.  It would be great if it ended there.  But then I get pasted anyway, because after the heal goes off, I spend two more seconds flexing my pecs and busking like a fucking swan for no goddamned reason except to artificially extend the length and risk of the animation.

Or having to (SLOWLY) sheathe your weapon to use items at all.  I'm homo goddamned sapiens.  I have two hands, and if I'm using one of them to fish around in my Rob Liefeld pouches I have a perfectly serviceable floor to rest my heavy weapon against.

Or how ranged classes almost can't carve monster loot at all because half of them fade before you can (SLOWLY) put the weapon away and run up to the corpse.  I end up having to take my big-ass folding sniper rifle to melee range and risking the terrible D-pad quick-aim (why does this not use the circle pad?!  You already have to stand still to quick aim because your left hand doesn't have two fucking thumbs!) when I want to come out with any loot.  Sometimes I still can't get the carve off if I was delayed for even a second between the final shot and putting the gun away (like reloading), and the corpse fades in the middle of the obnoxiously long harvest animation, which of course cancels your loot.
    I really, really love Assetto Corsa. Playing online in it is really fun and it's taught me to run a clean race well.
  • Game design notion I resent: Unilateral hatred of cutscenes/noninteractive segments

Cutscenes are a *tool.* Many games use them wrong. But there is a time and place for them. People bag on Final Fantasy, but most of them are turn based RPGs, and I have a hard time coming up with a game genre that could be more justified in using cutscenes, except maybe visual novels.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-08-30 09:29:57
    but only four of the FF games were turn-based

and they started integrating story into the combat engine the moment they moved to active
  • ATB is essentially turn based, so I would include it.

Also it's not like they could possibly fit ALL story stuff into in-battle dialogue.
    cutscenes must die
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i'm with Kex on this

i do prefer cutscenes to be skippable, and in-game storytelling is a nice trick if you can pull it off, but i've never disliked cutscenes in principle

games can tell stories, sometimes story even adds to the game, and cutscenes are a storytelling device; i see nothing wrong with that
    The worst kind of cutscene is the long unskippable kind placed before a really hard boss.

Other than that, they're fine.