General Video Game Thread

Comments

• So Destiny finally finished installing this morning, after downloading the latest update for literally all night before.

Me being the trash I am, I've been playing through the previous DLC installments' quests, and I'm really enjoying the changes that they made to the leveling and progress since I last played it. Some of the additional missions have been a bit frustrating, but I've been powering through 'em; my main Warlock went up 5 levels today.

(And now, back to your regularly scheduled talk about video games that aren't terrible.)
  • i dont really do 'hype' or anything usually but i guess the upcoming games i'm most interested in getting to play aside from dark souls 3 are grim dawn, hyper light drifter, and radio the universe
  • i dont really do 'hype' or anything usually but i guess the upcoming games i'm most interested in getting to play aside from dark souls 3 are grim dawn, hyper light drifter, and radio the universe

are those last two even still coming out? i feel like i hear news about them once or twice a year at most
  • I don't think I've gotten hype about anything in ages

Mirror's Edge 2's getting a sequel, and I think so's BGAE, and that's nice, I guess.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

and I think so's BGAE

Wouldn't get your hopes up on that one, it's been in dev for 7 years and Ubi have gone into complete radio silence on it.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I have been enjoying Phantasy Star IV quite a bit, in other "Imi plays games from 20+ years ago" news
  • I was going to craft some Monster Hunter armor with more attack bonuses, and for some reason the Tigrex stuff takes Great Jaggi shit and I had to go back and kill a few of them.

I friggen pasted that thing in maybe five hits.  It was beautiful.
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-09-11 02:20:11

I liked the time-travel concept and dark atmosphere of MM, but parts of it annoyed me greatly. If the remake is easier then perhaps I should try it sometime.

It seems to me like most of the changes from the original version were to make things a bit more user friendly. For example, there are a lot more hints about what to do for some of the sidequests and the Bombers' notebook's role in keeping track of that stuff has expanded a bit.

Likewise, I think the fact that you can do real saves using owl and quill statutes (not temporary ones like in the original game) is convenient and makes some of the more time dependent stuff easier to do since you do not necessarily need to do the whole 3 day cycle again if you missed something.

All of the dungeon boss fights have also been changed. I found one of them to be a lot easier this time around and another one of them to be very similar to the original boss battle. There are a couple that just require different strategies than in the original game. I do not think they are really a lot easier or harder.

One change that does seemingly make things a bit more difficult is the decision to make the inverted song of time slow things down less than it did in the original game. I did not find it to be too bad, but it does give you less time during a 3 day cycle than you had if you used that song in the original.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i don't think they should have changed it

at least, not in ways that affected the difficulty

this has been my opinion
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I decided to do a Nuzlocke run of Pokemon Silver because why not.

So far my team is 

Heraclitus
    250px-155Cyndaquil.png
    Socrates

sentret.jpg

Malebranche

kakuna.jpg

And Descartes
    250px-092Gastly.png
    i got the jokes with 2 of those
    Some of them don't have jokes.

I just decided to name the Gen 2 Pokemon after ancient philosophers, and Gen 1 Pokemon after more modern ones.
    ah

i was thinking, Heraclitus: fire as cosmic principle, so Cyndaquil; Descartes: ghost in the machine, so Ghastly

incidentally Cyndaquil is cute and a good starter choice
    Tachyon said:

i don't think they should have changed it

at least, not in ways that affected the difficulty

this has been my opinion

overruled
    :(
    well, I mean, that was just my opinion
    The best Pokémon starters:

Squirtle
    Cyndaquil
    Torchic
    Chimchar
    Oshawott
    Fennekin
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-09-11 05:15:53
    I liked how Majora's Mask was harder.  I mean, Zelda games are fun but they don't exactly have a lot of teeth, and it was fun to at least see two bosses who did more than sit there and take it in the face.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I'm still mad that my Mega Satan kill with The Lost isn't acknowledged by the base game in some way, because seriously. Mega Satan with The Lost. 
    Seriously, Mega Satan.
  • Seriously, Mega Satan.

he's like satan but moreso
    Ultramega Satan
  • dark souls is 5 dollars

i should buy it maybe
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    The Sataning of Satan: UltraOmega Satan 2.0
  • naney said:

dark souls is 5 dollars

i should buy it maybe

yee
  • edited 2015-09-11 05:34:13

naney said:

dark souls is 5 dollars

i should buy it maybe

I don't know if it's the kind of game you'd be into, but speaking only from my personal experience, I highly recommend it. Is it the Prepare to die Edition?
  • yeah it is.

it is not the sort of thing i am into but it is really pretty and "it is pretty" is really the only reason i buy games as i dont really play them ever
  • naney said:

yeah it is.

it is not the sort of thing i am into but it is really pretty and "it is pretty" is really the only reason i buy games as i dont really play them ever

Fair enough.
  • edited 2015-09-11 06:05:00
    @queenpoison yeah. hyper light drifter i preordered and i get emails from them occasionally. rtu i actually backed on kickstarter and i get emails from him every month like clockwork.
  • The best Pokémon starters:

is and always has been bulbasaur, sorry about your wrong opinions friend
  • also majoras mask might actually still be the best 3d zelda.

better than ocarina of time, in any case, no question.
    naney said:

dark souls is 5 dollars

i should buy it maybe

Do you have a controller?
    Monet and Vergo are support-only in Pirate Warriors 3?

i guess they couldn't make everyone playable, but still, boo.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-09-12 03:34:24
    No, game.  I'm not going to fight two frenzying Tigrexes in the same small room.  Move plz.
    finished Phantasy Star IV.

It was pretty great and I have zero regrets about playing it.

That is all
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

The best Pokémon starters:

is and always has been bulbasaur, sorry about your wrong opinions friend
    bulbasaur is cool.  an animal with a plant growing out of its back, how fuckin' cool is that
  • i think a more valid question is what the least cool starter is
    probably tepig because a fire-type starter with a pun on "tepid" is just kinda pathetic
  • edited 2015-09-13 12:58:32
    My dreams exceed my real life
    wrong thread
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I got all the adults hitched in Fire Emblem Awakening, but I forgot about Lon'qu and Henry, so I guess they're going to be stuck as bachelors for the rest of their life.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    If I tried to re-create my save, there would be gender balance and I could get everyone hitched. But then I couldn't romance Lucina.

finished Phantasy Star IV.

It was pretty great and I have zero regrets about playing it.

That is all

See, told you it was better. :P
  • edited 2015-09-13 17:06:01
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Space Moth is a fun shmup with some gorgeous art, I'd say. Haven't played beyond the demo, though I'm also terribad so it doesn't matter much. It's also on Steam Greenlight if you want more of it. Also CCC, though I haven't played it yet.
    now I wonder if I should play PSIII, seems like the black sheep of the series.
  • turns out full bore is a pretty fantastic little platform puzzler type of deal... maybe give it a look if puzzles are your style... it's got really fantastic and satisfying puzzles to solve... the open world exploration and chill, jazzy soundtrack are pretty dope as well...
  • edited 2015-09-16 04:52:56
    Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    I finally beat Takumi in Initial D Street Stage.
  • I'm just going to warn you right now.  Phantasy Star IV was the only good one.  The others were pretty spectacularly awful.
    nah man, II wasn't bad, I just wanted a little more pizzazz in the dungeons department.
  • Anyone else playing Undertale? It's very cute and good, as the demo promised.

In the second area half the enemies are puppies, which fills me with determination to continue the pacifist run.
    Not yet, but I've purchased it.