The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Now that I think about it, I'm also pretty partial to jelly-filled donuts.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    naney said:

im never gonna learn how to drive

#confirmed4pathetic
    Same here
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Thunderstorm~
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS

Thunderstorm~

Whee~
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    :D
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I learned to drive more out of necessity than anything else, personally

I've had my license almost four years
    Touhou MMO where you can only play as Yuugen Magan. Beat every raid and you unlock the ability to play as Kikuri and the Five Magic Stones.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    What would you do as Kikuri, roll around? The other two can't even move!

I learned to drive more out of necessity than anything else, personally

I've had my license almost four years

You live in the suburbs like I did so I totally understand.
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    Driving is liberating but I only learned this after I started driving.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Neil Diamond's songs are only acceptable when performed by The Monkees, I feel.
  • If you live in a place with decent public transport, don't feel bad about not having a license.

If you don't, them until you do, you will always be chained to who you are
    Touhou MMO where you play as Mima. You can't do anything because, like Noisemaster, Mima's dead.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Touhou MMO where you play as Mima. You can't do anything because, like Noisemaster, Mima's dead.

M-Mima isn't dead! :< She's just... taking a hiatus from the living world! ...right?
    Completely Platonic Love Bear Storm.
    Oh cool, I look forward to hearing debates about this for forever.
    Panurge said:

Oh cool, I look forward to hearing debates about this for forever.

I still hear whining about Roger Ebert's stray thoughts on video games, two years after he literally died.
  • my first thought upon reading that headline was "man there have been so many great + thought provoking sci-fi films over the past 5 years or so"
  • which reminds me, i really need to see ex machina
    naney said:

my first thought upon reading that headline was "man there have been so many great + thought provoking sci-fi films over the past 5 years or so"

Oh 4 sure

The fans of thought provoking sci-fi films are not going to be the ones getting angry about this, tho.
  • This is not something we should believe, but it’s something we should worry about. Pegg is right that movies like Star Wars (and Jaws and Indie) were important during the 1970s-80s transition from movies with downtown premieres to the suburban multiplex. Sure, you can’t blame a single film for the shift toward spectacle and merchandising, and we shouldn’t blame science-fiction for the rise of the summer blockbuster...but many of the cherished movies of our collective youth are complicit in an economic and aesthetic transformation of the American cinema that has turned out to be kind of sucky.

The error is mistaking genre for franchising. Blockbusters changed science-fiction, so that we have more films like the dumb-but-fun Independence Day and fewer films with the satirical playfulness of Zardoz and The Day the Earth Stood Still. At its best, as we know, science-fiction is a font of irreverent smarts, and it says things that more respectable culture cannot. But Star Wars is not that; it’s a delightful tissue of nostalgic appeal and technical virtuosity, which is not a problem unless it crowds too many other things out of our lives.

Simon Pegg is not talking out his ass, but the problem is not that genre films are making us dumber but that our justifiable affection for genre tempts us to make something like Age of Ultron into a film whose obvious aesthetic compromises deserve terabytes of prestidigitation. We want the people who make our science-fiction to be worried that the genre says too little that’s worth saying. That doubt is not a betrayal; it’s how you carry the torch.
    i like this commenting person
  • speaking of ex machina

what a hunk
  • Panurge said:

naney said:

my first thought upon reading that headline was "man there have been so many great + thought provoking sci-fi films over the past 5 years or so"

Oh 4 sure

The fans of thought provoking sci-fi films are not going to be the ones getting angry about this, tho.
    point
  • edited 2015-05-19 18:22:48
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I agree with Pegg generally, but I will say that he misses that the era of arty films that had mainstream success that he deifies was a 10/15 year blip in the general shitty state of Hollywood.
  • something simon pegg has completely missed which is a p key factor in whats hes talking about, which is the general globalisation of hollywood's audience

the cultural nuances and subtle plots of films like 'the godfather' et al would not necessarily translate well into being big global blockbusters whereas spectacle, superheroes, robots and big explosions translate pretty well across cultures. foreign markets are incredibly important for hollywood nowadays, way more so than in the 70s/80s.

the move towards merchandising is something tht has just come about with films being more readily available online and also just general capitallist need for continually growing profits
  • this isnt to say that people from other cultures cannot appreciate something like the godfather, but it's much less likely to become a worldwide smash hit than a film where someone can go in and watch superman punch godzilla in the face and a load of skyscrapers blow up and there are robots.
  • i hadn't thought of that
  • im kinda embarrased cuz i didnt think of that tbh

it's something so obvious once it's pointed out
  • what's a word that means "worship" or "idolize" and sounds like "renevate"

never mind it's "venerate"
  • edited 2015-05-19 19:19:25

funny thing is that only on my second listen did i notice the fact that this was advertising a CD

because the first time i listened to it, i switched to another tab as soon as i had clicked the video

lol

also i approve of this advertisement

see, i don't hate all ads
  • i need to buy a can opener

i presume the local Target sells them

i don't know why I didn't go there any sooner
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    Go to a dollar tree. They probably have them cheaper
  • naney said:

im kinda embarrased cuz i didnt think of that tbh

it's something so obvious once it's pointed out
    yes but these things thatseem incredibly obvious often they are not that obvious until they are pointed out

i didnt think of that independently i read it somewhere and have just remembered it.
  • it seems obvious but itis a bit of a cognitive leap to go from 'hollywodd is more about spectacle nowadays' and to then think of the consumption of hollywood films in china
  • edited 2015-05-19 19:32:02
    Boney said:

I bought one from Dollar Tree.

It gradually hewed outward and now I have two barely-even-functional can openers.  I feel like I'm actually dreading opening cans because of this.

The first one was this expensive one bought years ago in Hong Kong that is designed to slice open can lids from the side, making them safer to handle.  It's an excellent design, but it's worn out and I don't know how to fix it.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Boney said:

The problem with dollar store can openers is that they break super easily tho
  • It didn't "break" per se.

The piece that's supposed to push into the can lid has gradually been pushed upward, so it's harder and harder for it to pierce the lids.
  • the secret is that none of this matters because all movies are shit
    Everything you like is bad. Especially that.
  • the secret is that none of this matters because all movies are shit

suddenly i'm imagining movies being sold in cans
  • Everything you like is bad. Especially that.

see now you're getting it
  • all [media works] are shit

except the ones that aren't shit

but those are considered shit by some other people too

so they're also shit

it's just like how there are at least two mutually-exclusive religions that claim that non-believers go to hell

therefore, everyone goes to hell
  • so should i repeatedly buy $1 can openers or get something longer-lasting?

the $1 can opener lasted me a few months
  • duh why i am i even asking

no duh i should buy a longer-lasting single product
  • >reads title of new David Wong article

today, I learned that David Wong is Jay Electronica.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

the secret is that none of this matters because all movies are shit

suddenly i'm imagining movies being sold in cans
    don't give the studios ideas
    how would that even like WORK
  • edited 2015-05-19 20:30:39
    We can do anything if we do it together.

Everything you like is bad. Especially that.

see now you're getting it