The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• how would a Tibet RPG work

I can't concieve of it.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    So you play Tibetans in the middle of the PRC's occupation of Tibet sometime during 1959. All Tibetan beliefs are assumed to be true, including sorcery, bodhisattva, and the idea that there is a nine-headed demon lord behind the PRC's power.

I'm just skimming it right now, but I can't seem to find any sections on how everything ties together.
  • MachSpeed said:

the idea that there is a nine-headed demon lord behind the PRC's power.

I thought that this being true of every country was common knowledge.

No?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I ain't seen no demons here. Guess I'm not looking hard enough.
  • edited 2015-04-14 03:12:37
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    It annoys me greatly when people refer to the acts of the PRC as the acts of "the Chinese." 

There are millions of non-PRC citizens of similar ethnicity, guys.
  • Western cultural norms paint anyone who isn't European as being part of one of a handful of ethnic supergroups.

Try to tell someone that you're say, Ethiopian, and watch the blank stares roll in.
    • Scooby-Doo and Shaggy both enjoy these. Not to be confused with the other trope "Scooby Stack".
      • In many of the newer cartoons, however, these sandwiches never contain meat, since voice actor Casey Kasem (who did Shaggy) became a vegetarian and insisted that all his characters eat vegetarian, too. (Although it wouldn't be terribly out of character for Shaggy anyway. In early cartoons he would eat hamburgers, tacos, and pretty much anything else, meat or veggie.) Interestingly, Kasem's favorite kind of sandwich is apparently eggplant.

Wasn't there a bit in the newest Scooby Doo series where their favorite burger joint is replaced with a vegan place, to their sick disgust?
    i haven't gotten to that point yet

also they didn't amend Kasem's "is" to "was" yet

Western cultural norms paint anyone who isn't European as being part of one of a handful of ethnic supergroups.

Try to tell someone that you're say, Ethiopian, and watch the blank stares roll in.
    It's less to do with ethnic and more to do with politics.

I'm not a communist. I've never been a communist. I've never read Mao's little red book and I do not condone the PRC's actions that cause suffering in any way.
  • edited 2015-04-14 03:25:19
    kill living beings
    i try to make a point of using the official names for situations like that. "DPRK" instead of "North Korea", sort of thing, or "ROC" for "Taiwan".

half the time people have never heard the initialism though
    No, it's so much easier to say "Chinese" and "China."

Taiwan's a weird case, though. Do they identify as 台湾人 (Taiwan People) or as something else? I don't know.
  • kill living beings
    i have no idea. i'm vaguely aware that the native taiwanese were not so happy about the ROC moving in but beyond that i got nuthin.
    'Tibet: The Roleplaying Game' (horrible title) is available for free at DriveThruRPG. 

It's a pared-down version, still some one-hundred-and-fifty-plus pages, and only the print version has the full content.
  • If I get married, I'll have The Rains of Castamere play during reception.

See how many people FTFO or GTFO.
    I don't even know what that sounds like, so I guess I'd just sit around and wait to get stabbed.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    neigh
  • PONY EXPRESS
  • i feel like hell warmed over
  • update i almost feel awake and we're an hour into class
  • class is over and it went very well!
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    That's good!
  • Had a walk through the park and took photos of blossom trees and the big lake ^-^
    Well, let's see 'em!
  • theres someone running for city council here this year and their actual name is Ice Dong.literally.
  • tangentially related

sunn wolf said:

Ice Dong.

if this were the nsfw thread I'd respond with that picture of Elsa fucking Anna with an ice dick

• Halfway done with making my own SCP

We have themes of the conceptualisation of self, what measure is a nonsapient, and weird mold. Good start.
  • I almost posted "take it to Fetishes" in another forum entirely, a forum which as far as I can tell doesn't have and never had such a thing. 

#yntkt
  • I want to make my main character a complete cow, but also make people like her in a "love to hate" kind of way. 

#yntkt
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I miss when Will Smith showed emotions in movies.

Programmers are the perfect storm of bad philosophy because they are clever, mostly self taught even when they went through formal education, woefully unread in important humanistic texts, but making up for it with pulp fiction and pop science, encouraged by their craft to think independently, formally, about the world, facing problems whose difficulty is broad rather than deep that are solved by ingenious corner cutting and going around the unbreakable core of the issue so as to get the practical results, thus having not just a tendency to shallow knowledge, but a skewed concept of knowledge itself as whatever gets things to work as opposed to thorough in depth understanding (a different concept of "depth" too), given a false sense of competence by the practical success of their efforts, habituated by a work that consists in inventing problem specific languages to understand language as something one redefines at will on a case by case basis, every word contingent.

The latter point is the most important. Programmers are liable to say things like "asking whether machines can think is like asking whether submarines can swim", or "the question of whether machines can think is too meaningless to be worth discussion", to pull the arguing semantics card, to answer like Paul Graham "define free will" to the question "are we free?", and to be completely nonplussed when philosophers get upset, for instance, for using "morality" in a self contained namespace that makes no claim about other people's use of the word.

• is it better or worse than philosophers trying to program
    naney said:

is it better or worse than philosophers trying to program

Philosophers generally don't try to program, with a few exceptions.
    Also programming is a field where the feedback is very obvious if you have no idea what you're doing.

See also: being an electrician.
  • kill living beings
    most of that's basically true but (I'm not racist) programming can in some cases be essentially generic problem solving, especially when making large architectural decisions, and in that mode you do have to look at the core issues
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god

What even is the point of putting ads at the end of YouTube videos? Do they think I'm going to sit around and watch a commercial now that the thing I came to watch is over?

Probably it is for people who listen to music on youtube. If you're listening to a playlist that goes from one video to the next and you're not right at your computer controlling it, then you'll hear that ad.

What even is the point of putting ads at the end of YouTube videos? Do they think I'm going to sit around and watch a commercial now that the thing I came to watch is over?

Probably it is for people who listen to music on youtube. If you're listening to a playlist that goes from one video to the next and you're not right at your computer controlling it, then you'll hear that ad.
    That makes sense. I hadn't thought of playlists, since I almost never use them myself.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    I spend nearly every day of my life living with the fear that I'll watch Crash and fail to hate it as much as I'm supposed to
  • why are we supposed to hate it?
  • how much is one supposed to hate Crash
  • even more importantly: what is Crash besides a JG Ballard novel
  • But Crash beat Brokeback Mountain for Best Picture, which, even now stands as a monstrous miscarriage of justice.

really now?
  • ahahahaha cute
  • edited 2015-04-15 02:58:20

im surprised that people really like the gay cowboy movie
  • a lot of people genuinely consider Brokeback Mountain a cultural landmark.

I've never seen it so I don't really have any input.