General Video Game Thread

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    blah, i'm sorry

everyone seems to get sick of talking about things when i'm still bugged by them
  • edited 2014-12-24 20:44:35
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    in this instance i didn't even particularly want to continue the discussion but gmh's post replying to the stuff in emotional problems was fine
  • Tachyon said:

blah, i'm sorry

everyone seems to get sick of talking about things when i'm still bugged by them

i know that feel, yo
  • though i usually just find the appropriate place on this forum to post about it and be done with it

on the basis that, if you don't like reading about it, just ignore it and move to a different thread, because i've already done my share to compartmentalize it
  • Debating whether to buy Bully.

3 dollars is certainly affordable, and I remember Bully being enjoyable back when I rented it in the PS2 days. But I'm not sure what another playthrough will add, and it lacks the ludicrous amount of freeware mods that I've come to expect from my freeroam games.
  • Lol, the one game that I didn't want to see win, won.

(It's the subject matter.  I just don't like it.  I wanted either of the other two games to win, and I voted for the one with the shadow mechanic.  No offense meant to you.)
  • I may be getting both 100% Orange Juice and Talisman for Christmas.

The boo is very generous :3

and games to play with friends and more than friends are da bes

(It's the subject matter.  I just don't like it.  I wanted either of the other two games to win, and I voted for the one with the shadow mechanic.  No offense meant to you.)

Ah, none meant.

I think Bully's a unique take on the potentially sociopathic sandbox genre. While changing the setting from a huge megacity to a relatively sleepy college town may be seen as a simple "knock the rating down to T" move, it does add a bit of creativity in terms of missions, factions, and such. 

Still decided against buying it. Want to save as much money as possible for games that are actually on my wishlist.
  • In other news, Walking Dead 2 finally finished downloading this morning. 

Only on the first episode and it's already one of the most painful things I've ever made myself go through. But man, the ending of part 4 almost made it all worth it.

Ah, none meant.

I think Bully's a unique take on the potentially sociopathic sandbox genre. While changing the setting from a huge megacity to a relatively sleepy college town may be seen as a simple "knock the rating down to T" move, it does add a bit of creativity in terms of missions, factions, and such. 

Still decided against buying it. Want to save as much money as possible for games that are actually on my wishlist.
    I haven't played any of the GTA games myself, and for what it's worth, it's jusy that I'm not really into the comedic sociopathy type of thing, including the stereotyped portrayal of various types of people and all that. It could certainly be just as fun a game mechanically, but clearly the framing is meant to have some meaning and I just don't personally like it.

That said, yeah, I haven't bought anything in this Steam sale myself. Almost bought Valkyria Chronicles or an extra copy of The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, but I didn't.
  • Was thinking of Gunhound EX, Revolver360, Magical Battle Festa, or Rime Berta, but all of those are strictly better deals on Playism -- at least DRM-free for the same or lower price, and RB comes with a soundtrack.

There's also that "Suicidal Pig" game whose name I forgot, as well as Momodora III, I guess.

If RefleX went to big discount I'd snatch up few more copies of it too. Same with Cherry Tree High Comedy Club.
  • Guxt is a very difficult game.
  • I think Bully stays farther away from comedic sociopathy than the usual in its ilk. But, eh, it's a game I rented for a week more than a decade ago. Not gonna stake my heart on it. 

So far, I've bought Metro 2033, because I was playing a lot of Fallout 3 and I'm interested in its more realistic take on post-apocalyptia, the Pitt DLC and Walking Dead 2. 

I also bought some premium content for Fallen London, which I am still compelled to plug at every available opportunity.
  • I got Metro 2033 when they were doing a promo for it on Facebook.

It looked interesting.
  • I've lost pretty much any significant reason to increase the size of my Steam library for the sake of increasing it.  Or gaming library in general.

I don't need giveaways anymore.  Especially not when there are a limited number of copies and I'm not really interested in the game.

In fact, I feel a little guilty about claiming one of 20,000 or so limited free copies of a certain game that was given away recently on GOG.  I wasn't even interested in it.  I thought clicking would give me the page for the game but instead I clicked on the button to register it to my account, or something.

I forgot what it was.  That should tell you how much interest I had in it.
  • I want every one of the games I play -- every one of the shows I watch -- every story that I experience -- to be something I can remember and that has special meaning to me.

Not everything lives up to that muster, but whether they do so ought to be on the basis of their merits.

Not on the basis of my accumulating too much stuff and seeing things like my games list as a bunch of statistics rather than individual works.

No, that is the wrong way.
  • edited 2014-12-25 20:43:11
    I enjoy playing Slydris.

I think it should be on Steam.  But that's okay if it isn't.  Being on Steam is merely a means toward commercial success.  But I can still tell people that it's a fun game.

Does anyone else still talk about that game?

Probably not.

But I do.
  • RPG Maker VX Ace, its video on the Steam Store page is misleading.

A lot of that stuff definitely requires poking around and looking for mods.
  • edited 2014-12-25 20:46:19
    For some reason I bought the RPG Maker Humble Bundle.

$12 wasted for "I might one day want to make an RPG, and it might not even be using this system, but then it would be good for practice, or something like that."

At least it's better than $16 wasted on "I left it on the counter after buying a burrito."
  • edited 2014-12-25 21:09:27
    If Postal 2 wins this latest round of community choice vote, then I will be...

...mildly annoyed.

Also I forgot to bring my database of unused keys.  I think I already have Hero Siege too.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-12-25 21:46:50

I think Bully stays farther away from comedic sociopathy than the usual in its ilk.

Yeah I was surprised at that.  I mean the endgame involves unifying pretty much the whole school against the bad guy.

I haven't seen a single community choice vote yet though.  The results, but not the vote itself.
  • I actually have GTA Vice City lying around.

I should play that sometime.
  • the bae bought me Talisman for us to play together.
  • edited 2014-12-25 22:33:10
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    Please play Mount Your Friends.

It remains fun as you go from the basic humour to getting good at the platforming.
  • edited 2014-12-26 01:02:34
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I'm playing An Untitled Story after watching some of raocow's LP of it.

you start out as an egg but then you hatch.
  • > username: Sex_Grips
    > "Please play Mount Your Friends."

Sorry; I just had to point this out.

> An Untitled Story

It's a nice game, but surprisingly difficult/frustrating at times.

Also still don't understand how people find raocow's constant and frequently meaningless/random speech entertaining, but I guess, just, different tastes.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    the frequently meaningless/random is the appeal, but I guess it's not for everyone.

I'm playing the game on the easiest difficulty, since I am a wuss.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I got Super Mario 3D World for Christmas. I have two things to say about it:
    • KITTY KITTY KITTY KITTY KITTY
    • The overworld theme is incredible. Actually, all of the music I've heard so far is pretty good, and I like the shout-outs to past Mario games.
  • Been downloading Dark Souls II all day and I'm still at only 40%. I want to play so bad!
  • so Talisman is fuckin' cool as hell and I highly encourage you all to buy it so we can organize HH Talisman games.

Been downloading Dark Souls II all day and I'm still at only 40%. I want to play so bad!

it's a big game!
  • I'm playing An Untitled Story after watching some of raocow's LP of it.

I'm surprised you're just now finding it. It's a good game but hard. 
  • so Talisman is fuckin' cool as hell and I highly encourage you all to buy it so we can organize HH Talisman games.

Been downloading Dark Souls II all day and I'm still at only 40%. I want to play so bad!

it's a big game!
    Yeah it is.

Also, what is Talisman like?
  • It is a board game that is somewhat difficult for me to describe.

Basically, each person plays a D&D style character (from a list, you don't make them) which has a certain stat spread. You move around the board and encounter various things (from enemies to fight to objects to take to spells to learn to followers who help you out), the end goal is to acquire a talisman and eventually make it to the center of the map, and then I think something else happens. I'm actually still playing my first game so I'm hardly an authority on it yet.
  • It is a board game that is somewhat difficult for me to describe.

Basically, each person plays a D&D style character (from a list, you don't make them) which has a certain stat spread. You move around the board and encounter various things (from enemies to fight to objects to take to spells to learn to followers who help you out), the end goal is to acquire a talisman and eventually make it to the center of the map, and then I think something else happens. I'm actually still playing my first game so I'm hardly an authority on it yet.
    Okay, sounds pretty fun.
  • Also, I was gonna play Shogun 2 while I waited for the download to finish downloading, but that apparently stops the download. :/

I'm playing An Untitled Story after watching some of raocow's LP of it.

I'm surprised you're just now finding it. It's a good game but hard. 
    Somehow that one fell between the cracks for me.

I just finished it without much difficulty but then, as I said, I was playing on easy mode
  • I think I ended up finishing it on easy mode.

At some point normal mode became too annoying.
    easy mode was almost too easy, so maybe I'll try normal.
    aww.
  • I think I stopped normal mode around the lava area.
  • what it defeating magus at the north cape actually turned frog back into a human _immediately_?
  • edited 2014-12-26 08:12:53
    Paraphrased from IRC:

GMH: Playism is trying to be the new GOG/Steam -- probably with a focus on Japanese indie games.
    http://www.playism-games.com/comingsoon/

ponitablica: Are they ever going to release Touhou in English?

GMH: They seem the most likely, between them, Nyu-Media, Fruitbat Factory, Carpe Fulgur, eigoMANGA, Rockin' Android, XSEED, Mangagamer, Sekai Project, and MoeNovel.  Who else is there?

ponitablica: They [Playism] released a Touhou game, digitally, in Japan.

GMH: Well that suggests they'll most likely be the ones.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I got Crusader Kings Two on a Steam sale,

Also Talisman because it was 3.74 and Mo recommended it.
  • So I bought $7 worth of stuff on Playism.

Armored Hunter Gunhound EX for $3, and Revolver360 for $4.

They come with Steam keys, as well as DRM-free instances.

Steam has Gunhound for $2.99, and Revolver360 for $4.99.  So Playism has a better deal.

Playism also has a better deal on Rime Berta ($11.99 for Steam key + DRM-free + soundtrack vs. $14.99 on Steam), as well as Magical Battle Festa ($8.99 for Steam key + DRM-free vs. $13.69 on Steam).  But I might wait on those.

Also tempted to pick up Helen's Mysterious Castle ($1.99) and Fairy Bloom Ultra Encore ($0.99), but I probably have enough for now.  and they're not on sale either

Meanwhile, I'm struggling to come up with $10 worth of stuff on Steam, to get that one extra card.
    So far I can think of (not buying until I actually have $10):
    Momodora III: $3.99 (-20%)
    Squishy the Suicidal Pig $0.74 (-75%)
    100% Orange Juice Syura and Nanako Character Pack DLC $1.39 (-30%)
    100% Orange Juice Saki and Kyousuke Character Pack DLC $1.39 (-30%)
    ...still not $10.

Considering Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, but I've heard mixed reviews of it.
  • dag

just buy the games that you want to play 
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    Or be a cool ass outlaw like me and don't buy anything
    #outlels
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Succession#Gender_Laws
    This amuses me slightly, yet more then it probably should
  • So is it just me, or are jumps much more annoying in Dark Souls II? I swear, about half of my deaths so far have just been missing a jump for one item in the Forest of Fallen Giants.