Sredni Vashtar Reads Homestuck

Comments

• edited 2014-11-11 09:19:27
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Missed in the fray but highly noteworthy: The coincidental similarity between Rose's FAQ sign-off and the last sentence of HPL's "Nyarlathotep".

I am the last, I will tell the audient void—
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I feel bad for anyone who skipped reading the Homestuck Year 1 Recap. 

It explains a lot of things that the earlier comics don't fully explain and aren't really explained later.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I've finished Act 4 now.

Although I was trying to pay close attention, there were some things that flew past my head until I read Hussie's recaps.

I suddenly get why people called it the "Ulysses of the Internet" now. The sheer density of Act 4 really blew my mind wide open.

I realize a huge part of this was Hussie trying to get all the pre-requisite exposition out of the way before he went any further, so I trust that it will be somewhat less confusing from now on.
  • I realize a huge part of this was Hussie trying to get all the pre-requisite exposition out of the way before he went any further, so I trust that it will be somewhat less confusing from now on.
    Your trust is extremely misplaced.
  • I trust that it will be somewhat less confusing from now on.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Act Five is overall more linear than Acts Two through Four, but shit's still nanners, and Act Six is just ludicrous despite dealing with things that mostly are all happening at the same time and pace.

Which is not to say that the developments with the Exiles and Dave's time nonsense are not a baptism of fire, but it does not *get* easier so much as it *seems* easier. You get used to the multiple plotlines and multiplying versions of the same characters because you are prepared for them.
    So!

Act Five, my goodness.

Karkat immediately either subverts or pre-empts and denies every running intro gag right off the bat with his characteristic anti-panache; and Gamzee acts like a dolt, eats psychoactive slime and stares at his Fetch Modus like a Christmas tree. PROGRESS.
    And the first appearance of Special Stardust!

And then Gamzee getting pestered by Terezi, which for the moment is hilarious but gets a lot less hilarious later. But for the moment...

TC: AnYwAy I'lL gO iNsIdE iN a WhIlE, wHy DoN't YoU gEt KaRkAt To FiRe Up ThAt MoThErFuCkEr WiTh YoU? 
    TC: hE lIkEs GaMeS. 
    GC: OH NOOOOO. 
    GC: GOD C4N YOU 1M4G1N3 4LL TH3 B1TCH1NG 4ND MO4N1NG? 
    GC: 1 US3D TO TRY TO PL4Y STUFF W1TH H1M BUT WOW D1D 1 L34RN MY L3SSON. 
    TC: AlRiGhT, wElL i'Ll TrY tO gEt In AnD gEt Up On My ChIlL rEaL sOoN aNd We CaN pLaY. 
    TC: jUsT gIvE mE a MiNuTe! 
    GC: BULLSH1T! 
    GC: YOU KNOW YOUR3 JUST GO1NG TO S1T TH3R3 ON TH3 B34CH 4ND SP4C3 OUT 4ND LOS3 TR4CK OF T1M3. 
    GC: H3LLO? 
    GC: G4MZ????? 
    TC: WhAt? 
    TC: oH mAn SoRrY. 
    TC: I sPaCeD oUt, DiD yOu KnOw HoW bEaTuFuL tHe SoUnD oF tHe OcEaN iS? 
    TC: hAvE yOu EvEr EvEn SeEn ThE oCeAn? 
    TC: oR i MeAn SmElLeD iT... 
    TC: SoRrY. 
    GC: >:[
    It's interesting how closely tied the ~ATH file ultimately is to the nature of the troll session, particularly with respect to Snowman's status.
    Sollux and Karkat's friendship feels weirdly familiar to me, in that I know people sort of but not quite like that but I can easily imagine two people being like that and not batting an eye at it.
    Terezi beating the stuffing out of imps is just... and the mock trial...

Now I remember why I love her. She is just all kinds of nuts in the best possible way.
    Hussie must have had a blast writing Karkat's heinous similes.
    Nepeta!

:33
    Oh fuck, the server in the Furthest Ring. I forgot about that.
    So Kanaya's tower is Jade's, but on the ground. I forgot that. But now I'm remembering the topiaries and the wardrobe thing and...

Yeah, the whole "every new hero reflects the old" thing is fully in force here.
    Enter: AG.

She is something, and will not cease to continue to be something.
    So Aradia just put Sollux to sleep, thus beginning a veritable cavalcade of further spooky weirdness.

On a marginally related note... how did I not notice the eye/arm thing with Vriska and Jack until now?
  • edited 2014-11-13 21:52:28

Nepeta!

:33
    And here she is! Woo!

It's kind of funny in hindsight that the most well-adjusted troll is the one that literally lives in a cave in the forest and starts all of her discussions with cat roleplay.
  • edited 2014-11-13 22:10:15
    AG: I don't see how we're supposed to 8e 8ecoming friends if you recoil from my olive 8ranch like I'm twitching a mummified 8ovine phallus in your direction. 

Bull Penis Cane!
    Aradia strikes me as a much better person than she seems to think she is.
  • edited 2014-11-13 22:28:11
    Oh jeez. Him. 

[Enter: Doc Scratch, harbinger of doom.]
    Incredible, the risks you take with your scorn. 
    But of course it was your unpleasant, simplistic temperament that made you so easy to control. 
    Vicious and predictable, like an insect. 
    If you turn a swarm of wasps on a crowd, the outcome is certain. 
    It takes no skilled strategist to understand this. You were in fact a waste of my talents. 
    A primitive expedient. 
    AG: Blech. What a sno8. You're worse than my meddley meddler meddlefriend. 
    I wonder why they waste their camaraderie on you. I'll never understand it. 
    AG: I thought you said you would 8e 8rief???????? 
    I'll say one last thing. 
    Though the magnitude of the ensuing destruction resulting directly from your actions will be neither possible or necessary for you to fathom, there nevertheless ought to be a silver lining. 
    The only question is whether you will live long enough to see it. 
    I'm not a gambling man. 
    But if I was, I wouldn't bet on it. 
    Goodbye. 

I forgot how hard Vriska got served here.
    It's interesting to note how Kanaya is the first person that Vriska has been legitimately non-hostile toward so far. They have a peculiar relationship.
    Oh Jegus, Equius, you are such a tool when Nepeta isn't around to tell you to stop it.
  • edited 2014-11-14 00:03:10
    Y'know, even when he's being grotty and terrible, when he's alone, Equius is kind of adorable.

*E%AMPLE*
  • edited 2014-11-14 01:10:28
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm making my way through Act 5 now.

Getting used to the trolls' typing quirks made reading the first 200 pages or so a real chore, but I think I'm getting the hang of them now.

On a related note, I like how you can tell that Vriska is a real cocky bitch even before she actually appears on screen.
    I think I'm the only person on the planet who didn't find the typing quirks frustrating in the slightest... with the possible exception of Sollux, whose typing style is actually pretty easy to follow once you expect it, but is a bit out of left field in some respects.
  • i was surprisingly ok with them, kan aside, she took some getting used to
  • Really? Hers felt like a breath of fresh air in the middle of everyone else's
  • something about the way my brain processes capital letters made it really hard to chew through her sentences until i got used to it
  • edited 2014-11-14 02:38:23
    Yeah, I understand what you mean. Its That Halting Quality Where You Dont Know Where To Start And End
    The interesting thing about what happens when Aradia summons the spirits is that Vriska really is scared and perhaps even remorseful, but her anger at being forced to feel those emotions—emotions that she consciously or unconsciously ignores all the time—only makes her more violent and vindictive. And of course our mysterious white-text friend knows this and uses it to his advantage, as he uses everything to his advantage.

It's actually really sad and horrible on way more levels than are immediately apparent.
    Doc Scratch having an apoplectic fit is seriously the best thing.
    You know, Vriska is a really unpleasant, nasty person in many, many ways, but the more layers you peel back, the sadder it all becomes. She has some really good reasons to be fucked up, personally and culturally, and it makes her sympathetic and monstrous all at once. I mean, this conversation—

AA: ive never th0ught ab0ut revenge at all 
    AG: 8ut why not! 
    AG: I killed you!!!!!!!! 
    AA: i d0nt care 
    AG: AAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!! 
    AG: You're so infuri8ing! Why c8n't you just h8 me? It would 8e a lot easier th8t way. 
    AG: Or at least feel 8othered or annoyed or S8METHING! God!!!!!!!!
    AG: May8e I sh8uld just rip my he8rt out of my chest and pound it to a 8loody pulp here on my desk with my sup8r strong ro8ot arm. 
    AG: Pound pound pound pound pound pound pound pound! 
    AG: Look at that, more nasty 8lue 8lood all over me. Why not! Might as well op8n the floodg8s and p8nt my whole hive with this oh so envia8le cerulean SWILL. 
    AG: 8ecause clearly it's up to me to feel em8tions for the 8oth of us, you misera8le soulless witch! 
    AA: 0_0 
    AG: I h88888888 you! 
    AG: H8 h8 h8 h8 h8 h8 h8 haaaaaaaate! 
    AG: I only regret killing you cause it m8de you so 8ORING!!!!!!!! 
    AA: s0rry 
    AG: I don't want to 8e on the red team. ::::( 
    AG: It's full of jerks who just think I'm a 8ig jerk. 
    AA: they need y0u th0ugh 
    AA: and its where y0u need t0 be 
    AA: karkat will be in t0uch with y0u s00n 
    AG: Oh god, I can't w8 for THAT convers8tion. 
    AA: als0 if its any c0ns0lati0n 
    AA: the teams are meaningless anyway 
    AG: What? Why would that 8e consol8tion? It's more vague spooky nonsense! 
    AG: Fuck you for me trying to help you. 
    AG: Fuck the 8lue team, fuck your conniving, fuck Equius's dou8ledealing and the stupid muscle8east he rode in on, and fuck you for s8ving my life. 
    AG: FUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!! 

—is just all kinds of uncomfortable. I can't not hear her screaming the words at a more and more hysterical timbre and it's just, well... 0_0

Great character.
    Equius.

Oh my god.

I forgot how amazing his interactions with Aradia are.

Just, wow.
  • edited 2014-11-14 04:13:39
    T: D --> I hope this doesn't sound too strange 
    AA: everything y0u say s0unds strange 

Now that is an apt summary of the situation, if an understatement.

CT: D --> You could cause quite a bother for me, with the power you wield 
    CT: D --> I can do nothing to stop you, peasant girl 
    CT: D --> It's so magnificently depraved 
    AA: y0u are s0 weird 
    AA: and this is c0ming fr0m a gh0st 
    AA: ribbit 

And this is even better.
    So Aradia just literally did what Vriska was talking about (although she does get Vriska back in similarly graphic terms) and then started snogging Equius.

And then Nepeta updates her shipping wall.

Yeah, that happened, didn't it?
  • edited 2014-11-14 05:09:25
    And enter CA, one of the best examples of negative character development that I can think of.

I wonder when I should post my grand index of silly accent head-canon—of which Eridan is probably the oddest simply because it is literally confirmed in canon that his accent is weird in his introduction. He even comments on it later. I find that rather amusing for some reason.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The quirks took me a while to get used to them.

But after I did, they stopped being weird.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

Aradia strikes me as a much better person than she seems to think she is.

Maybe I'm way off base, but I see Aradia as someone who wants what's best for her friends, but she's frighteningly pragmatic about the fact that she can't save all of them, and about manipulating them for their own good.

Also, she's walking proof that, to paraphrase John's words, "Friendship isn't an emotion, numbnuts." Even while she's completely emotionless, she still shows through her actions that she cares for the others, particularly Sollux. But she comes across creepy since she can only express that care in an emotionless way.

I think about her quite a bit because she's my favorite troll.
  • edited 2014-11-14 21:10:28
    ^ I wouldn't disagree, although I think that it's less that she's devoid of emotion per se than divorced from it by no longer having a body (that is actually hers) and, more subtly, by trauma: She was horribly betrayed by someone who she really cared about but who she knows was not at all cognisant of that action. She has dissociated from who she used to be, but that residual desire to help those she loves is still there. But that separation from the part of her that understands emotional suffering and the fear of death means that she is willing to do things to others and let things happen to them that someone with functioning emotions and a normal moral compass never would. She is, as you say, frighteningly pragmatic. But despite this she is not selfish, or sadistic, or ultimately devoid of compassion. That is not who she is.

And that's what makes her slow, subtle reconnection with that supposedly dead part of her that can feel things so marvellous. It's beautiful character writing.
  • edited 2014-11-14 21:21:18
    But now to a very different plot detail.

Kanaya learning from and vicariously falling for Rose before she even enters the session that will create the latter's universe is a really elegant demonstration of the idea/assertion that the greater omniverse "eats paradoxes for breakfast." There's also something interesting about how Rose uses the same method to transmit her signal as Doc Scratch uses to run the ~ATH code that will allow Lord English to enter the ruins of the troll universe.
  • rosemarrrrrry

And that's what makes her slow, subtle reconnection with that supposedly dead part of her that can feel things so marvellous. It's beautiful character writing.
    Her resurrection during [S] Wake (and the accompanying power guitar) always gave me chills because of that.
    ^ Exactly! It's really heartwarming, and it's built up to wonderfully.
  • edited 2014-11-14 21:48:09
    Vriska getting press-ganged into being nice to Tavros is delightful, as is Tavros' army of beasts.

Seriously, best way to game the system ever.
    The Pupa Pan thing. Jeez, is Vriska a weird one.
    And here we go with Hipster Fish Hitler and Nyarlathotep's Beautiful Daughter.
    Welcome to the Land of Stumps and Dismay.

Everyone is playing Jailbreak here, all the time.

I'm not sure what to say about this stretch, really, other than that I find it interesting how Eridan's most sympathetic moments early in his involvement in the story ultimately set the stage for his worst behaviour later.
    *pouncegreet!*

And now the memos begin, not too long after much Exile exposition.