The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Ghan-buri-Ghan from Lord of the Rings.

Also, I've read the first ten chapters of the first volume of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and am patiently waiting for Liu Yan to show up again after his one mention of being related to Liu Bei/Pei, and also being related to an old ruling family.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I will one day, when it's all over, during a summer, read Homestuck
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

I will one day, when it's all over, during a summer, read Homestuck

It won't take you that long, I don't think. It's long, and Act 6 drags in places, but an archival read is much quicker and less frustrating than a serial one. And if you jive with the story's sense of humour and accept that the narrative is on the elliptical side, you'll breeze through it.
    But being on that wavelength is pretty important, I think. It's not the pinnacle of all Internet fiction, but there is a reason why people think that. It has some very polarising aspects.
  • edited 2014-10-30 13:19:37
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I think I swallowed sin(90°-θ)
    I read up to act 5 sporadically, then it just lost me.

I will finally do a proper read one day.

I read up to act 5 sporadically, then it just lost me.

I will finally do a proper read one day.
    Act 5 has Jade's ascension, Aradia's arc, Kanaya's growing infatuation with Rose, Noir's rampage, and most of Dave's best chatlogs. Which is to say that it might be the best part of the comic, period. You should read it.
  • Ghan-buri-Ghan from Lord of the Rings.

Also, I've read the first ten chapters of the first volume of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and am patiently waiting for Liu Yan to show up again after his one mention of being related to Liu Bei/Pei, and also being related to an old ruling family.

Oh hey, you started RoTK. How are you enjoying it so far? Also, which translation are you reading? I'm partial to the C.H. Brewitt-Taylor translation personally.

Also, If I'm thinking of the correct character, I can't remember if Liu Yan shows up again, but his son Liu Zhang is somewhat important later on in the story.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Aside: Part of the reason that I really like Nepeta is a thing that I feel a lot of the fandom sort of ignore, which is that for as cute as she is, she's still a crusty nerdy chick who lives in a cave and kills small animals for food. Probably has dandruff and acne scars, dried blood under her nails, soot on her trenchcoat—and god, she wears a trenchcoat! And you know what? That is wonderful.

Sometimes I wonder if my mental voice casting of Kath Soucie for her makes any sense

Considering that Kath scarcely does anything anymore, you could easily replace her with Tara Strong
  • Yo gabba gabba.
    El Kabong said:

Aside: Part of the reason that I really like Nepeta is a thing that I feel a lot of the fandom sort of ignore, which is that for as cute as she is, she's still a crusty nerdy chick who lives in a cave and kills small animals for food. Probably has dandruff and acne scars, dried blood under her nails, soot on her trenchcoat—and god, she wears a trenchcoat! And you know what? That is wonderful.

Sometimes I wonder if my mental voice casting of Kath Soucie for her makes any sense

Considering that Kath scarcely does anything anymore, you could easily replace her with Tara Strong
    Melissa Fahn's voice for Ed is Cowboy Bebop is pretty close to what I hear in my head, although my mind renders Nepeta with a touch more gravel and purr.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    moo
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    "Futari no Mojipittan" has become a Bootstrapped Theme for Namco in general for me, for some reason.
    tsurupettan

today on what has naney been listening to
  • it's a tracing from an album cover

Those people have great names. I am serious,
    EBERHARD BLUM.

I mean, really, that is a fantastic name.
    (2015 self)
    Dream said:

Ghan-buri-Ghan from Lord of the Rings.

Oh hey, you started RoTK. How are you enjoying it so far? Also, which translation are you reading? I'm partial to the C.H. Brewitt-Taylor translation personally.

Also, If I'm thinking of the correct character, I can't remember if Liu Yan shows up again, but his son Liu Zhang is somewhat important later on in the story.
    Yep, C.H. Brewett-Taylor.

Liu Yen, from chapter one. The prefect.

I love this book. I'm getting shivers like I did reading Harry potter for the first time, or Lord Of The Rings.

I am writing down character names and affiliations in a notebook.

Ts'ao Ts'ao is such a lovable semi-traitorous ambition-guy.

Poor Hsieh. Him and his brother, lead by fireflies to safety. He seems like a sweet kid.

Lü Pu and Tung Cho, what jerks. And beat by a girl. Very sneaky, Wang.
  • mojipittan > tsurupettan
    I should probably forgive RLM. They gave up on A Basement Rapist Reviews years ago which is all I'd really ask of them.
  • edited 2014-10-30 19:02:36
    ULTRA-RAD HACKER REFUGEE FROM THE FUTURE
    I don't honestly understand why you're so hung up on that.

Is RedLetter Media even still around? You are the only person I have heard talk about them in years.

Like it's terrible, but

I don't honestly understand why you're so hung up on that.

Is RedLetter Media even still around? You are the only person I have heard talk about them in years.

Like it's terrible, but
    They come up on an internet critic thread I read. Now they do a bad movie variety show called Best of the Worst.

Which honestly sounds fine. I'm just bitter because people would quote their dumb obnoxious Star Wars reviews constantly and say they belonged in a museum. And I shouldn't be. So I'm not gonna be bitter about it anymore.
    Also I came here to post about how a fantasy author I like posted in a small subreddit I participate in, which is cool.
    Spaceman Spiff
  • edited 2014-10-30 19:41:08
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Ah, remember back when making fun of Twilight and Eragon was the order of the day?  When we thought it was new and clever to figure out that sequels weren't usually as good as originals, that villains were cooler than heroes, and that the book is better than the movie? 

Back when there was a limited number of Lolcats, and you could see them all in one sitting.

Remember, back before creepypastas, hipsters, and tumblr/Reddit?

We were so young.
    hipsters are older than all of us, my friend.
    (2015 self)
    You know, having seen Dan vs Summer Camp, I related to it so very much.

I mean, I'm Dan, you guys are Chris, and Camp Atrocious is Tv Tropes.

And yes, I know how stupid that makes me sound.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I've never watched Dan vs., so I don't really understand the reference...

• the only japanese language song to ever hit the top of the billboard 100
    It's a pretty decent song.
  • ive never heard it
    They mention it in Billy Bat.
  • ULTRA-RAD HACKER REFUGEE FROM THE FUTURE
    the best Japanese-language pop song is "Hikouki Gumo" by Yumi Arai.

TIL it is bizarrely hard to find a non-edited version of Simple and Clean on youtube.

So I have this 
    (2015 self)
    Remember back when installing games meant you also installed DirectX with them?

Back when games took so long to install.

Man, Lego island was fun.

It's a pretty decent song.

It really is.
  • ULTRA-RAD HACKER REFUGEE FROM THE FUTURE

Remember back when installing games meant you also installed DirectX with them?

this still happens constantly
    Best French song is this 
    drums
  • edited 2014-10-30 20:13:37
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Lego island, it was perfect at 9/8/1997at 6.00 AM.

My older brother waking up early to install computer games.
    I have played games I got at Taco Bell and games I got out of Captain Crunch boxes.

Also I played the hell out of the old Cat Dog game
    I played a version of Doom I got from some Chex cereal

called Chex Quest, natch
    SHOUT IT FROM THE PAGE TOP
    611kah03BIL._SX300_.jpg
    I have heard Chex Quest is decent, by virtue of just being a reskinned Doom/