The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Odradek said:

Odradek said:

Speaking of, China Mieville wrote a teaser for his new book of short stories in the form of one story that reads as a screenplay for a trailer http://chinamieville.net/post/90548155303/trailer-the-crawl ;

So can we talk about this.
    I will read this soon and it will be nice.
  • edited 2014-08-18 17:32:49

It's funny you should mention it that way, because I really do think of our friendship in those terms. You, me and DisasterGrind. And it's kind of interesting to me, because while we were good friends for quite a while, the whole Kerfuffle with Nautatrol and the SA thread on BTL2 was what we ended up bonding over and making our friendship a much closer friendship, with both you and DG.

Truth.

Also, Blitzwing. That guy, my god.
    Oh man, that guy was a piece of work. Admittedly, a lot of what I know about him was hearing it second hand from everyone else, since he was apparently a master of deleting his worst posts, but yeah, glad I never have to see that guy post again.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Blitzwing?
    Also, I wonder what it was about being on the P5 that made certain people pop a cork. I think Martello practically turned into an American character from an Allied propaganda film when he founced. :P
  • I changed my password after the whole 'Tvtropes stores passwords in plaintext' thing and I never attached an e-mail to that account, so yeah, that's gone.

I wish I still had it. I did still occasionally frequent some of the webcomic threads, and every once in a while, I find a trope page that I'm actually willing to edit.
  • Just being a commenting bystander and being in a leadership role with policy-shaping opportunities is two totally different mindsets.
  • and yeah, tvt storing passwords in plaintext was (is?) like the stupidest feature of the whole site.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I remember when Seebs called out the plaintext password thing on Tumblr

And someone showed it to Eddie

And Eddie seriously did not get it

You'd have better luck explaining it to a cinder block
  • lee4hmz said:

Also, I wonder what it was about being on the P5 that made certain people pop a cork. I think Martello practically turned into an American character from an Allied propaganda film when he founced. :P

At least with Martello, he just got tired of people defending stuff he though was terrible and had no bones about telling people who were defending it that he thought they were terrible people. He had a really low tolerance for that stuff anyway.
    IIRC Eddie was like "So? It's not like anyone's looking over your shoulder..." 

You know, as if this is still 1995 and no one is out there sniffing lines daily.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    ponys are shit :D and anime

Oh man, that guy was a piece of work. Admittedly, a lot of what I know about him was hearing it second hand from everyone else, since he was apparently a master of deleting his worst posts, but yeah, glad I never have to see that guy post again.

His endless ban appeals and evasions and gradual escalation from politeness to whinging desperation to flailing hysterical vindictiveness was, in hindsight, really rather funny.
  • Funnily enough the other day I learned that storing passwords in plaintext is actually pretty common in a couple archaic (and mostly Linux-related) contexts.

Ofc most of those places (eg. The WebTiles server for Crawl) inform you that your password will be stored in plaintext.
  • HEY DOWNLOAD THIS STEAMGUARD.EXE PROGRAM IT'S DEFINITELY LEGIT AND WILL LET YOU RECEIVE STEAM WALLET FUNDS

Note:

1. Steam Guard is entirely server-side and there is no such thing as SteamGuard.exe, except for malware posing as Steam stuff.

2. You can't transfer Steam Wallet funds over Steam trading.  More like, you can't transfer Steam Wallet funds, period.

lee4hmz said:

At least with Martello, he just got tired of people defending stuff he though was terrible and had no bones about telling people who were defending it that he thought they were terrible people. He had a really low tolerance for that stuff anyway.
    ...which is not to say that he wasn't basically an Allied propaganda film given life. I mean, fo' serious.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    moo
  • I don't even remember any of these people.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

1. Steam Guard is entirely server-side and there is no such thing as SteamGuard.exe, except for malware posing as Steam stuff.

Isn't "Steam Guard" just what they call their particular implementation of two-factor authentication?

Funnily enough the other day I learned that storing passwords in plaintext is actually pretty common in a couple archaic (and mostly Linux-related) contexts.

Ofc most of those places (eg. The WebTiles server for Crawl) inform you that your password will be stored in plaintext.

Old-school Linux and Unix stuff is fascinating to me, but sort of baffling.
  • There are like three or four TVTropes users whose handles I can remember that I disliked.

Like, Nornagest, Guitarbizarre, Scrye, and I think that's largely it.
  • Y'know, it's kinda amazing how many people:
    * don't even look over manuals when they buy something new (device, game, etc.)
    * don't run config before the first time they play a game
    * go to the forums to ask people for help when they don't know something that they could have figured out on their own
    I think I missed Guitarbizarre's heyday by, like, a week.

Old-school Linux and Unix stuff is fascinating to me, but sort of baffling.

Same.
    Remember that Spain Sun guy? He was a jerk
  • 1. Steam Guard is entirely server-side and there is no such thing as SteamGuard.exe, except for malware posing as Steam stuff.

Isn't "Steam Guard" just what they call their particular implementation of two-factor authentication?
    i'm not sure, but as far as i can tell it seems to basically mean that their server stores info on the identity of your computer that you use to access Steam, so they'll know when you're using a new machine.

Not as bad as Cloverleaf and Akzidenz-Grotesk. What sperglords.

Oh, that guy, well...
  • Honestly, I find the minutiae of the failings of Tvtropes to be kind of fascinating. That is, when I don't find it somewhat tragic. Kind of like watching a video of a building exploding in slo-mo, seeing how every charge goes off.

Not as bad as Cloverleaf and Akzidenz-Grotesk. What sperglords.
    What a bunch of nerds.
  • Oh man, that guy was a piece of work. Admittedly, a lot of what I know about him was hearing it second hand from everyone else, since he was apparently a master of deleting his worst posts, but yeah, glad I never have to see that guy post again.

His endless ban appeals and evasions and gradual escalation from politeness to whinging desperation to flailing hysterical vindictiveness was, in hindsight, really rather funny.
    In hindsight yeah, but god he was annoying at the time. Plus, I remember him harassing cutewithouthee over PMs, which was not okay.

lee4hmz said:

...which is not to say that he wasn't basically an Allied propaganda film given life. I mean, fo' serious.
    Fair point. I actually got along with him okay, at least until he went apeshit on you.
  • I think I missed Guitarbizarre's heyday by, like, a week.

He was one of those people who thought you should try to be alpha male in all things.

In retrospect actually a pretty typical internet character, but at the time it all seemed to be a brand new breed of jackassery, and a lot of people thought he was like the savior of Yack Fest and blah blah blah blah.

basically go to r/MRA and you can get the full Guitarbizarre experience on demand.
  • Nornagest was just an enormous stick in the mud (by his own admission), and Scrye I actually kind of like in retrospect because he's a great thing to point to when people want me to explain why I don't trust the military.
  • Honestly, I find the minutiae of the failings of Tvtropes to be kind of fascinating. That is, when I don't find it somewhat tragic. Kind of like watching a video of a building exploding in slo-mo, seeing how every charge goes off.

It's like a car crash in slow motion.  It's like we can watch it fly through a windshield.
  • edited 2014-08-18 17:55:26
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

basically go to r/MRA and you can get the full Guitarbizarre experience on demand.

Honestly, I find the minutiae of the fall of Tvtropes as we knew it to be kind of fascinating. That is, when I don't find it somewhat tragic. Kind of like watching a video of a building exploding in slo-mo, seeing how every charge goes off.

It's... well, better now, but just kind of whatever. There are so many worse places on the Internet that it's not even a blip at this point. But the big upheavals are pretty interesting to think about sometimes in the way that grotesque, flailing web-forum explosions can often be. It's really just another story of a bunch of people with their own lives and wants and needs coming together under a common banner and then slowly realising just how intractable some of their differences really are and reacting with varying degrees of grace and foolishness.
  • We should make a museum!

And no goons allowed!

(Yarrun, that's a terrible idea)
    The inhabitants of the Black Omen would like to have a word with you.
  • There are like three or four TVTropes users whose handles I can remember that I disliked.

Like, Nornagest, Guitarbizarre, Scrye, and I think that's largely it.

The only guys I can remember consciously disliking were DemonGodofChaos and Stillbirth Machine. Man, I loathed Dgoc.
    I don't remember disliking people as much as getting annoyed by some of the brash dudebro types. Martello, Scrye, Guitarbizarre, Kino, etc.
    36 DAYS UNTIL ASURA'S WRATH RELEASE
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Darn it, I missed a TV tropes discussion.

I'll just say that I like TV Tropes now and I have since I first found it. I always found it to be good.
  • Honestly, I find the minutiae of the fall of Tvtropes as we knew it to be kind of fascinating. That is, when I don't find it somewhat tragic. Kind of like watching a video of a building exploding in slo-mo, seeing how every charge goes off.

It's... well, better now, but just kind of whatever. There are so many worse places on the Internet that it's not even a blip at this point. But the big upheavals are pretty interesting to think about sometimes in the way that grotesque, flailing web-forum explosions can often be. It's really just another story of a bunch of people with their own lives and wants and needs coming together under a common banner and then slowly realising just how intractable some of their differences really are and reacting with varying degrees of grace and foolishness.
    well TVT is sort of a relatively big deal on the internet.  not as big as facebook or google or wikipedia, obviously, but it's reasonably notable among the English-speaking population of people actively interested in stuff like TV shows and videogames.

which is a lot of people, it turns out.

that said, i do find TVT's drama segments interesting but for some reason I just haven't been able to get a good summary of this last round of P5 and subsequent drama.  and hell, I was even there for a part of it.  almost got myself banned in the midst of it.  and even I didn't get all of what was going on.  People's reports tend to read like a bunch of names that i don't recognize and have no placement for, except maybe a few (e.g. Fast Eddie, Martello, shimaspawn, etc.).

it was vaguely amusing while it lasted, i guess...i mean, there was that sort of insane three or four way forum war between TVT, SA, IJBM, and BTL...but even popcorn gets stale after a few days.

and i'm past the point of caring personally about TVT's evolution as a wiki.  too much i disagree with or don't like about it.  and basically every time I cared, I was too much of just a little tiny player in the grand scheme of things who had little to no ability to do movers-and-shakers stuff in terms of changing policy or even bringing stuff offsite.

sigh.
  • 36 DAYS UNTIL ASURA'S WRATH RELEASE

pffft.

In hindsight yeah, but god he was annoying at the time. Plus, I remember him harassing cutewithouthee over PMs, which was not okay.
    That really just drove home to me how unstable this character really was. I mean, are you really so much of a fuck-up as to threaten a depressed teenager over a perceived insult to something you like? What a pitiful human being.

He was one of those people who thought you should try to be alpha male in all things.

In retrospect actually a pretty typical internet character, but at the time it all seemed to be a brand new breed of jackassery, and a lot of people thought he was like the savior of Yack Fest and blah blah blah blah.

He probably was a fairly novel species of jackass at that point, in retrospect. MRA types have only really become "common" in the last few years, so he was on the vanguard of a new species of dumb!

Scrye got banned before I arrived. I have heard comparisons made between him and Martello, to give you an idea.

Honestly, Nornagest was OK by me, even if he was rather stuck up. I probably would be less tolerant of him now, but the best cure for that kind of person is to put them in a position where the best of them comes out and just avoid them where their worst qualities emerge.
  • edited 2014-08-18 18:04:00
    Isn't Nornagest that person who kept on sighing conspicuously at how dumb other people were?

I think I just stopped caring about 'eir opinion at some point.  Because it became meaningless.

The only guys I can remember consciously disliking were DemonGodofChaos and Stillbirth Machine. Man, I loathed Dgoc.

Stillbirth Machine runs the gamut from reasonably pleasant to completely intolerable based entirely on what the conversation is about, with the problem being that he is fond of expounding upon the latter topics at the expense of the former. He is a snob, in other words, and a fairly vocal one, but nothing special in that regard.

I don't think I ever dealt with DGOC personally.
  • Odradek said:

who'd that happen to

Triple Elation.

Martello

Lottery of Babylon

Probably some other people I'm forgetting.
    as someone who doesn't know what these people did, what did they do?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I remember when Scrye was on TvT.

We had the Scrye cycle which was

1. There is a thread discussing a thing. Maybe it's not about discussing this thing but it comes up

2. Scrye comes into a thread with his inflammatory, angry, and uninformed opinion on thing.

3. Patient people call Scrye out on his inflammatory, angry, and uninformed opinion on thing.

4. Scrye bitches about how the forum can't take a joke and says something sarcastic.

5. Sarcastic thing goes up on the Made of Win thread, because that thread existed because tropers were physically unable to give Scrye a blowjob.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Only thing I really remember about Scrye was that he was a transphobic asshole.