The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• edited 2014-08-09 18:51:37
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    imageWhen people say, "Jersey Shore" This 1905 picture is what you should think of.image
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Grimdark doesn't exist. Grimdark is defined by absolute, unbearable, lackadaisical, excessive suffering that this world couldn't ever come close to matching. 
  • grimdorks
  • Today has been pure laziness for me. At least I have been able to catch up on all the sleep I've missed cuz I've my insomnia.

Also my work shoes came today, yay.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    JZ you came back just in time for my birthday tomorrow

Yay
  • YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

Pardy it up like it's 1999. But don't because then the aging process will reverse.

....unless that's what you want.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ...you know me all too well, lol
  • haha don't worry I want that too. MAybe not 1999 though. Maybe a few years before that.
    hehehe
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    ooooh

happy early birthday!
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I would be a bit younger if I could
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    A A A
    N E X T  G E N
    # 4 T H E P L A Y E R S
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    naney said:

on the other hand these dude's logo appears to be a pheasant with a top hat

if i were of an artistic bent i would draw it engaging in intimate relations with the Thomas Pink fox

I am too easily amused by this suggestion.
  • I would be a bit younger if I could

One day.
    Aliroz said:

Kexruct said:

Well, to an extent I think you might just be idealizing the past. Ideals are fine, but don't let them cloud your view of reality. Ask yourself why the pre-1960s seemed so innocent. And the fact that pre-1960s being horrible and bigoted was, well, pretty inextricably bound to ever other aspect of the time period and can't just be ignored.

I understand your inclination, and I understand your distaste for certain aspects of modern culture, but please don't wax nostalgic for things that don't exist. Like I said, ideals are fine, but you have to recognize that they are ideals.
    I know it wasn't innocent, and I know that the reason why the media had that innocence to it was because of censorship and stuff like the hays code.  Racism, sexism, homophobia treated as a mental illness; autism not understood; I'm not saying that it was a time I'd like to live at all; but I do kind of miss the moral simplicity and white-and-blackness of old-timey radio serials and Buck Rogers.

I don't mess the pre-1960's, I miss the sense of idealism and innocence, a gentleness and optimism that permeated a lot of the media of that time.  (Of course, those qualities were basically federally mandated rather than being the true feeling of the time or coming from the creators themselves; though).

I just really miss the idea that fictional heroes shouldn't swear or kiss for more than a specified number of seconds.  I don't at all miss the stereotypes, nationalist views, or the portrayal of women that were found in the media of those days.

I guess I just would like to see a sense of idealism, optimism, innocence and gentle simplicity but with LGBT, women, foreigners, and everyone shown as, well, people and equals.  I want a transsexual equivalent to the Lone Ranger, a hero that is always good and always saves the day while being unfailingly polite and considerate.  Sure, I know it wouldn't fly today (we want our fictional characters to have flaws); and it wouldn't fly then (because bigotry, which is awful).

I just would like to see some media with a feeling of "LGBTQ?  Awesome.  Straight? Awesome.  Autism Spectrum?  Awesome.  Neurotypical?  Awesome.  Aboriginal?  Awesome.  Black?  Awesome.  White?  Awesome.  Women?  Awesome.  Men?  Awesome.  Atheism?  Awesome.  Religion?  Awesome.  Everyone is awesome and the world is going to get better because people are basically good and the world is beautiful and amazing.".

But, well, even to me it sounds incredibly dorky and would probably come out as overly saccharine.

And, I mean, it's not like those good qualities have left us (Just look at My Neighbor Totoro, The Lego Movie, and other stuff), and, in many ways, many of the bad qualities have left us.  I guess I just want more of whatever-the-opposite-of-grimdark-is.
    I am totally OK with all of this, just so you know. Even as someone who likes some extremely dark things. I mean, I really do think that great tragedies are few and far between in modern media, but the absence of truly optimistic media that unironically embraces innocence, tolerance, and kindness without preaching is very disappointing in its own way.

Odradek said:

Idea: Heaper short story club.

Once a week we read a short story available online then talk about it.
    Ye

I am down for this.

I would be a bit younger if I could

One day.
    ?

Angry Fantano is best Fantano.
  • I helped my sister get that on her iPod two days ago because the .mp3s were going into Windows Media Player instead of iTunes

yntkt
    There are so many good zingers in that review, but my favourite might be: "If there's anything I don't get about this project personally, it's why Drake and his producer have anything to do with it. I mean, Drake is perfectly capable of being boring on his own. Why he needs to sign and pay some other guy to be boring, I don't know."
    music critics
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-08-09 22:22:05
    These days I can't look at Fantano without thinking of that freakout he had (and, by extension, Death Grips themselves).
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Thought: much of what is called ad hominem  is simple acknowledgement that one does not agree with the ethical premises, so the non-ethical premises are not worth arguing over.
  • "Every day, I know I will be cutting something. Some days it is a rug. For those days, I have these shoes."
    the wall

on which the prophets wrote

is cracking

at the seams
  • Buy Saints Row 4 or Spec Ops: The Line.

On the one hand, the ability to speak with even more authority on video games as an art form, for four dollars cheaper. On the other hand, fighting aliens with superpowers.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I notice that nobody seems to think the Taco Bell logo is ugly
  • the taco bell and burger king logos both share an unusual combination of being rather ugly and being absolutely fitting.
    Where is everybody tonight? The forum's not usually this boring...
    I'm at the combination Taco Bell and gas chamber

• Where is everybody tonight? The forum's not usually this boring...

enjoying dwarf fortress

help me
  • Where is everybody tonight? The forum's not usually this boring...

that's what happens when i'm not around being my usual partycat self.
    i am gming the tabletops, but over the internet
    Does anyone have a suitable avatar for my 315-year-old witchsona?
  • kill living beings
    programming

programming

Anything interesting?

Does anyone have a suitable avatar for my 315-year-old witchsona?

I'm half-tempted to suggest Winnie the Witch but my mind is just locked in that mode
    My mind leaps to Peridot from Cucumber Quest or Charlotte's doll from Madoka Magica.
  • kill living beings

Anything interesting?

just my ol bugaboo about the perfect programming bullshit

in several months this could be self modifying GPGPU but yeah right

My mind leaps to Peridot from Cucumber Quest or Charlotte's doll from Madoka Magica.

...both good choices, actually
    Idler and JZ were obsessed with Doodle God back in 2011

Beast + Life = Human

Did it imply that beasts were not truly alive?
    my name
    when i say "i love you" you say "you better"

so happy togetheeeeeeeeeeeerrrr

how is the weatheeeeeeeeerrrr
  • Aliroz said:

Kexruct said:

Well, to an extent I think you might just be idealizing the past. Ideals are fine, but don't let them cloud your view of reality. Ask yourself why the pre-1960s seemed so innocent. And the fact that pre-1960s being horrible and bigoted was, well, pretty inextricably bound to ever other aspect of the time period and can't just be ignored.

I understand your inclination, and I understand your distaste for certain aspects of modern culture, but please don't wax nostalgic for things that don't exist. Like I said, ideals are fine, but you have to recognize that they are ideals.
    I know it wasn't innocent, and I know that the reason why the media had that innocence to it was because of censorship and stuff like the hays code.  Racism, sexism, homophobia treated as a mental illness; autism not understood; I'm not saying that it was a time I'd like to live at all; but I do kind of miss the moral simplicity and white-and-blackness of old-timey radio serials and Buck Rogers.

I don't mess the pre-1960's, I miss the sense of idealism and innocence, a gentleness and optimism that permeated a lot of the media of that time.  (Of course, those qualities were basically federally mandated rather than being the true feeling of the time or coming from the creators themselves; though).

I just really miss the idea that fictional heroes shouldn't swear or kiss for more than a specified number of seconds.  I don't at all miss the stereotypes, nationalist views, or the portrayal of women that were found in the media of those days.

I guess I just would like to see a sense of idealism, optimism, innocence and gentle simplicity but with LGBT, women, foreigners, and everyone shown as, well, people and equals.  I want a transsexual equivalent to the Lone Ranger, a hero that is always good and always saves the day while being unfailingly polite and considerate.  Sure, I know it wouldn't fly today (we want our fictional characters to have flaws); and it wouldn't fly then (because bigotry, which is awful).

I just would like to see some media with a feeling of "LGBTQ?  Awesome.  Straight? Awesome.  Autism Spectrum?  Awesome.  Neurotypical?  Awesome.  Aboriginal?  Awesome.  Black?  Awesome.  White?  Awesome.  Women?  Awesome.  Men?  Awesome.  Atheism?  Awesome.  Religion?  Awesome.  Everyone is awesome and the world is going to get better because people are basically good and the world is beautiful and amazing.".

But, well, even to me it sounds incredibly dorky and would probably come out as overly saccharine.

And, I mean, it's not like those good qualities have left us (Just look at My Neighbor Totoro, The Lego Movie, and other stuff), and, in many ways, many of the bad qualities have left us.  I guess I just want more of whatever-the-opposite-of-grimdark-is.
    I am totally OK with all of this, just so you know. Even as someone who likes some extremely dark things. I mean, I really do think that great tragedies are few and far between in modern media, but the absence of truly optimistic media that unironically embraces innocence, tolerance, and kindness without preaching is very disappointing in its own way.
    I got the feeling this is what you meant, Aliroz, I just wanted to make sure you expressed it in full.
  • kill living beings
    let's beign