The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    The powerpuff girls are not cute. They look frightening, with eyes wider than their waists and heads too large to fit in their clothes.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    The Powerpuff Girls are supposed to be more kick ass than cute, I think.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

I mean, I think that Jobs, on some level had a motivation beyond profit, meaning to make computers and devices that anyone could use that would also be aesthetically pleasing... which in turn would make him boatloads of cash. And I like that. But some of the company's recent decisions and this one insider talking about they've stopped making computers to last - which should ring bells with people familiar with certain other companies... - is really ominous.

I use Macs not simply because I was raised with them, but because they are generally quite durable, I have to do less to get them to work, I have to deal with fewer stupid problems, and I find the graphics pleasant to look at. Plus, from a work/leisure perspective, nearly every good DAW that I can think of is Mac-based, Mac-compatible, or soon to be Mac-compatible.
    That's the worst part, I think; it used to be that Macs were designed to last a while, even if they weren't all that upgradable (there are still Beige-era Macs in working order as we speak, and I have a couple of them). And the ones that were upgradable were amazing; I understand Power Mac 9500/9600s were in demand from studios for a long time because you could cram 6 PCI cards in them. No other Mac before or since has allowed that, not even the G5 or the aluminium-cased Mac Pro.

The US auto industry got in big trouble for pushing planned obsolescence on people in the 1970s (as in "fueling the rise of Toyota, Honda and Subaru" big), and as such I think there's a market for computers you can actually fix, though it's also just as beholden to the pace of technology as everything else.
  • i feel gross :/
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    https://twitter.com/davidgraeber/status/476011921729400832

Twitter marxists are disgusting rape-threat apologizing idiots.

GROSS PLANET

Take a shower.
  • the tub is full of clothes
  • GROSS PLANET

Gross Planet Industries
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    *hugs Miko*
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    I love our gross planet.
  • i've gotten the clothes out of the tub
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    saxbox 360
    Some antinatalist showed up on a forum I go to, and I tried arguing, but forgot how insufferable those people are.

Not gonna do that again.
  • i have rung out the clothes and showered

i guess i'll do the dishes in a bit
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    better off dead
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

I know it's a kneejerk reaction, but it really does bother me that I am surrounded by people who use Windows or Linux and seem to have this vague disdain for Apple as if the only people who use their stuff are hipsters who want the prestige or some bullshit and it drives me up a wall.

I admit that the general disdain for Apple that most of the Internet seems to have kinda bugs me, too.

I can understand holding that disdain if you're a computer programmer or a gamer, however, for reasons that lee already alluded to.
    See, I fully admit that this is Apple's fault on the programming end, but gaming puzzles me. Sure, ten years ago finding games for a Mac platform was a bitch, but now? Really?

I really like OS X, but Apple hardware is expensive and I don't prefer it strongly enough to justify the added cost to myself. That said, the seeming disdain a lot of people have for Apple perplexes me.

Again, it's worth buying refurbished. The old stuff is very durable; even if it can't run the newest thing, it can run everything up to that point without a hitch.

MetaFour said:

rainbow in the dark

While I love Barnes and company to death, I think that this (one of my favourite songs in general, incidentally) would work just as well:

THIS IS WHAT THE REFRANCE

• Confusion will be YOUR epitath 

THIS IS WHAT THE REFRANCE

Check this shit my buddy Blackmore did!

Blackmore.PNG
    Man I never imagined in a million years that sockpuppet would suddenly appear, I swear
    lee4hmz said:

I mean, I think that Jobs, on some level had a motivation beyond profit, meaning to make computers and devices that anyone could use that would also be aesthetically pleasing... which in turn would make him boatloads of cash. And I like that. But some of the company's recent decisions and this one insider talking about they've stopped making computers to last - which should ring bells with people familiar with certain other companies... - is really ominous.

I use Macs not simply because I was raised with them, but because they are generally quite durable, I have to do less to get them to work, I have to deal with fewer stupid problems, and I find the graphics pleasant to look at. Plus, from a work/leisure perspective, nearly every good DAW that I can think of is Mac-based, Mac-compatible, or soon to be Mac-compatible.
    That's the worst part, I think; it used to be that Macs were designed to last a while, even if they weren't all that upgradable (there are still Beige-era Macs in working order as we speak, and I have a couple of them). And the ones that were upgradable were amazing; I understand Power Mac 9500/9600s were in demand from studios for a long time because you could cram 6 PCI cards in them. No other Mac before or since has allowed that, not even the G5 or the aluminium-cased Mac Pro.

The US auto industry got in big trouble for pushing planned obsolescence on people in the 1970s (as in "fueling the rise of Toyota, Honda and Subaru" big), and as such I think there's a market for computers you can actually fix, though it's also just as beholden to the pace of technology as everything else.
    Yeah, those older machines were damned nice. I remember running Riven on one of those back when you still had to switch between CDs on big games...

The trend overall dates back to the birth of supply-side economics and industry advisors in the Eisenhower administration, who believed that a constant flow of capital through the economy could only occur if people were constantly buying new goods. This led to companies building devices guaranteed to stop working within a year of their warranty running out, that would break earlier and force consumers to use that money to buy the next new thing, or would just be made obsolete by something marginally shinier and more efficient as quickly as possible.

Mac used to at least rest their sales on the latter, by touting the new hotness while still having perfectly functional old machines and, yes, making money on fixing and upgrading those machines, but lately they seem to be moving to the former, which is extremely worrying. Granted, not all Apple products are designed like this, and it is likely that even most new Macs will still be fairly usable going forward (particularly with the new and growing scrutiny over the matter), but still, it's a bad move.

As for the Windows version of iTunes, yeah, that's always sucked.

I mean, it's not TERRIBLE, but they seem put a subpar level of effort into it, especially by Apple standards

I think it's easily illustrated by the awkward treatment of the menu bar over the years...their designers, for whatever reason, refuse to make the small concession to Windows conventions and place the menus properly...they've always tacked it the corner or hid it by default or something

Yeah, it's weird. Even the thing with not copying the files makes sense, given that it hypothetically should let you keep music on, say, an external hard-drive and still listen to it (see: Foobar), but it's horribly inconvenient if you just want to put the files in your Library so they aren't taking up room somewhere else...

Man I never imagined in a million years that sockpuppet would suddenly appear, I swear

Like a rainbow in the dark

I have converted Brandenburg into Prussia

unfortunately everyone I could concievably attack is allied to some huge scary nation (Bohemia to France, Poland to Austria, and Lithuania to Poland who are, again, allied to Austria). And I can't attack the Hanseatic League because goddamn bugs goddammit.
  • edited 2014-06-09 15:11:21
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    :D
    This game looks kind of cool.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

I really like OS X, but Apple hardware is expensive and I don't prefer it strongly enough to justify the added cost to myself. That said, the seeming disdain a lot of people have for Apple perplexes me.

Again, it's worth buying refurbished. The old stuff is very durable; even if it can't run the newest thing, it can run everything up to that point without a hitch.
    It's more a personal preference than anything else. *shrug*

I've looked into refurbished Apple stuff before, but I always end up deciding I'd rather have Windows and more powerful hardware over OS X and less powerful hardware because Windows doesn't bother me anyway.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

This image just confuses me

Surely having FINGERLESS kevlar gloves defeats the purpose of, you know, having kevlar gloves?
  • that's good, I think
  • At some point I'm going to have to be in LA during E3 just to visit the Uplay Lounge

because GUH
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

are those Ronald McDonald shoes
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    they looked kind of like them to me
  • Aliroz said:

This is why I have an inferiority complex.

I've looked into refurbished Apple stuff before, but I always end up deciding I'd rather have Windows and more powerful hardware over OS X and less powerful hardware because Windows doesn't bother me anyway.
    This is not a criticism, but an honest question: What is the purpose of more powerful hardware, really? I mean, I know it's a matter of degree, like the difference between watching movies on your computer and, well, not, but otherwise...?
    It's good to see Ubisoft is continuing to take no risks and do the "all sides are equally bad" thing with the new French Revolution Assassin's Creed game. #E3
  • The only way in which Macs are less powerful hardware is that Apple generally doesn't go top-of-the-line in graphics hardware.  In laptops, this is because Apple prioritizes battery life and thus won't take stuff that's too power-hungry.  Generally this means that the top end of mobile graphics chipsets won't be used, because those things are very poor excuses at the "mobile" game; they generally require serious cooling and power, and are used only on gaming laptops that aren't generally intended for long periods away from mains AC power.

On the desktop, most Macs are compact and use mobile chipsets, although the power and cooling constraints aren't as tight and some of them do use somewhat higher-end chipsets than the laptops do.

Only the Mac Pro has better graphics than you can get in a $1000 PC, but those things are very expensive indeed.  Understandably, given the tech and the intended market, but still.

Who's going to use that power?  Gamers mostly, other ppl using 3D enviroments (e.g. design).
  • I really like OS X, but Apple hardware is expensive and I don't prefer it strongly enough to justify the added cost to myself. That said, the seeming disdain a lot of people have for Apple perplexes me.

This is not a criticism, but an honest question: What is the purpose of more powerful hardware, really? I mean, I know it's a matter of degree, like the difference between watching movies on your computer and, well, not, but otherwise...?
    having a computer that can do more stuff without either slowing to a crawl or just shutting down completely
  • Odradek said:

It's good to see Ubisoft is continuing to take no risks and do the "all sides are equally bad" thing with the new French Revolution Assassin's Creed game. #E3

DAE E3 cynicism?

Odradek said:

DAE E3 cynicism?
    I was kind of down on the last trailer Ubisoft showed until the SWAT guys took off their helmets to reveal Pey'j and Rayman
  • im so glad i decided to give death grips a second chance <3

having a computer that can do more stuff without either slowing to a crawl or just shutting down completely

But that's with drastic differences in hardware speed. I don't think most people are running so many programs and tabs at once that a computer with decent hardware would automatically lag.
  • Odradek said:

I was kind of down on the last trailer Ubisoft showed until the SWAT guys took off their helmets to reveal Pey'j and Rayman

GOD I WISH