The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    ...when the hell do you sleep, Anononononus?
  • i am indeed a cat

trapped in the body of a man

cats need more sleep than people you know

'tis yet another facet of my tragedy
  • edited 2014-05-25 02:04:45
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

...when the hell do you sleep, Anononononus?

into the afternoon...

i'm on my break now
    oh
    all right good night
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    good night Imi
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Any person who thinks that sex hormones are not a human right deserves to be cannibalized.
  • edited 2014-05-25 02:34:02

there is a joke there involving frogs having weird genital mutations due to pollution imitating frog sex hormones and people eating frogs in percolating about in my brain but it's too unwieldy to solidify.
  • the quest for the mythic misandry
  • Mornin'
  • Trying on old clothes.

Holy shit, I've packed on a few pounds in the past few years.
  • apparently at some point last night i acquired a pink wig. interesting
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I like to imagine you just woke up and found the wig was already on your head...
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    re:canon

I think authorial comments and 'canons' can be interpreted in the same way as a book or film can be.  If you make a claim about the author's intentions and the author said something which contradicts your claim, then obviously, either you're wrong (about the author) or the author's comment is unreliable for whatever reason.

I realize the Harry Potter post invites discussion of the wider issues of language and interpretation, but with regards to 'canon', I think it's really just the artificial privileging of one interpretation of the text, and is itself subject to interpretation.  So, it's not important, unless you care about it, in which case it is.

I do think that an interpretation of Harry Potter which presents Harry as simply self-centred and revelling in his celebrity status has to be ignoring (or being wilfully contrary in the interpretation of) substantial parts of the text, though.
  • edited 2014-05-25 10:35:27
    ಠ_ಠ
    Mum: Maybe if you lost weight, you'd be able to fit into these clothes.

Me: I know, mother D: *internal thought: your 154lb daughter needs help*
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I admit, the idea that "canon" consists solely of the text itself weirded me out the first time I saw it

Because, I dunno, I'd always sort of made the assumption of "yeah, whoever wrote the story gets to say definitively what is and isn't true about it, since they're the one who made it"

It just seemed obvious to me...I guess because I tend to be very literal-minded and (albeit less so than when I was younger) take everything at face value
    I used to care very much about canon and authorial intent (on TVT I was accused of being a 'canon nazi') but then I realized it doesn't actually matter.
  • I generally fall back on the Bradbury example when thinking about canon. Authorial additions can add a greater perspective, since the author has a more personal relationship to the material. But they can still be dead wrong.
  • edited 2014-05-25 10:49:23
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    And then there's "The Waste Land", which Eliot's comments serve only to make more confusing.
  • The purpose of all media is to promote a message and/or to evoke an emotion. If the work requires authorial commentary to get that message/emotion across, the work has failed.
  • edited 2014-05-25 10:54:34
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I don't entirely agree, actually.  I don't feel that art requires a purpose, and I am reluctant to declare any work a failure without qualifying the sense in which it has failed.

Having said which, when interpreting a text, I prefer to give precedence to the text itself.  Certainly I think in the case of something like a fan wiki, which purports to be an encyclopaedia on a given work of fiction, the work itself should have precedence over any other related media.
    I told you about the walrus and me, man
    You know that we're as close as can be, man
    Well here's another clue for you all:
    The walrus was Paul...
    I told you about the Fool on the Hill
    I tell you man he livin' there still
  • I believe that art is inherently evocative. It has to make you pay attention, at the very least.

But yeah, I totally concede to your second point
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I am no longer drunk as shit, woo
    I admit, I'm not really looking forward to going back to work on Tuesday

Because between closing early on Friday and being closed all day tomorrow, we're going to have a LOAD of work piled up when we get back in there
  • kill living beings
    it's true i cry very loudly
  • I am at McDonald's again.

Everyone in our mobile home park owns 8 dogs and mows their lawn 32 times a day. I am going bonkers.

In unrelated news, Transistor was really good.

• watch this man not understand physics
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    hmm, thinking of canon in this manner, I can think that Wriggle Nightbug is transgender if I want to. UwU
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS

watch this man not understand physics
    Also known as: how to try to hide that you squirm like a pig when you orgasm
  • I believe that art is inherently evocative. It has to make you pay attention, at the very least.

some art is designed specifically to not stand out and make you pay attention.

• BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    You know, that video is exactly why I hate doing introduction in my text at school
    Even if that worked, having big garish foam nailed to your doors is ghetto as fuck

#it's ok when I say it #because half-black #please don't hurt me
    Mom uses the iPad with its brightness all the way up

Good fucking gravy
  • Mom uses the iPad with its brightness all the way up

Good fucking gravy

my little brother turns the gamma all the way up on our TV to cheat at Minecraft

kid's resourceful but I feel he's missing the point.
  • Even if that worked, having big garish foam nailed to your doors is ghetto as fuck

p much
  • god i am fucking bored out of my miiiiinndddddd

i want to go somewhere or do something but there's nowhere to go and nothing to do

• i have had Nelly's Air Force Ones stuck in my head for like 2 days now

YOU HAVE THE INTERNET, DON'T TAKE IT FOR GRANTED

TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWS *falls into oblivion*

point

god i am fucking bored out of my miiiiinndddddd

Why did my mind interpret that as the first two lines of a Disney song
  • idk

if I had to do songs for a movie company it would be like....

I dunno, some Japanese studio probably. I can't think of too many WA companies that make movies I enjoy watching.
  • also I officially have a producer tag now and it's pretty great. Moving up in the world, woo-hoo.
  • I didn't pay for it though, as some of my peers are wont to do.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I wonder what it says that I was the drunkest I've ever been last night and no one would have noticed if I hadn't said anything.
    It says being drunk isn't something that comes through very clearly online unless you post something absolutely ridiculous.

Especially not on a site like this where half the posts are nonsense already