The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Lilly said:

apparently there is not a single queer male journalism major in the entire fucking universe who can write a compelling, thoughtful or funny column on any subject whatsoever.

i like nate silver but then i didn't even know he was gay until like 2012
    but nate silver mostly writes about baseball and election statistics

which are cool i guess but they aren't exactly things that i'm looking for in this circumstance
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    He's pretty private about it.  As far as I know, he only really talked about it when the "unskewed polls" guy criticised him in a way that was sprinkled with homophobia.
  • kill living beings
    he's gay? well, i guess that's a mildly interesting fact with no application to me that i can think of, huh.
  • too weird to live

too angry to die
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I'mma sleep.

Goodnight, everyone.
  • HH could use more fanservice

I'm working on it but my posts just keep getting modded, I don't understand it :O
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The strength of Marvel's brand
  • Miko said:

Speaking of FUCK SUBTLETY, I and Byakuren started watching Kill la Kill.

Don't be afraaaaaaaid of the lack of subtlety.

Although there are subtle aspects to Kill la Kill. They're just overshadowed by the... you know... everything that is not those aspects.
    Most of the complaints I see about Kill la Kill in some way stem from this really condescending attitude of "Are you seriously implying Kill la Kill is subtle? Seriously? Just accept that it has problems." and it bugs the hell out of me. Really, I see this "argument" made all the time and it never ceases to annoy me.

• edited 2014-05-06 08:58:04
    On an unrelated note my mom didn't believe that I was out of school today so I went to the bus stop and then walked around my neighborhood for an hour and a half and came back when my mom was gone.

#rebelliouskex
  • edited 2014-05-06 09:09:22
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Anonus said:

The strength of Marvel's brand

lies in convincing people who don't like comic books to watch movies about them, without driving away people who like comic books since those are regarded as their core product that lends their movies and merchandise its history and ensures their characters remain household names
  • The purpose of Tumblr, it seems, has been fulfilled. It seems its destiny was to gif this.
  • American Ninja Warrior, and upon further research it appears that it was staged.
  • The cell used as the donor for the cloning of Dolly was taken from a mammary gland, and the production of a healthy clone therefore proved that a cell taken from a specific part of the body could recreate a whole individual. On Dolly's name, Wilmut stated "Dolly is derived from a mammary gland cell and we couldn't think of a more impressive pair of glands than Dolly Parton's".
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Jesus christ.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    When it comes to crime and punishment in this country, for some reason people think 1980s action movies are a good precedent. :P That and there's a definite undercurrent of racism if you look for it (against blacks and Hispanics especially).

Jesus christ.

well now we know who to send the hammering squads after
  • edited 2014-05-06 11:23:17
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Well, it's often couched in dog-whistles and other euphemisms, is what I mean. I'm sure the "convicted murderer" poster in that Facebook screenie had the Black Brute in mind when they wrote it. :P
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Kexruct said:

Honestly, Aliroz, I think the issue might be that you're transferring the value of your own nostalgia towards such things to everyone else. Which is understandable. Everyone does it to an extent ("I can't believe kids will see the pipes and think of Flappy Bird, not Mario!") I have no doubt that you had a ton of fantastic experiences with all the games you listed, but think of the wonderful things that will happen to kids of the future, who have all new experiences to have? I mean, it's not like they can just live your life. You shouldn't expect them to.

Yeah, but what about when aliens come and challenge the world to a game of hackeysack and if they win they get to destroy the world?

Kids won't be able to save the world then.

(note, that was silly. I meant that as humor and nothing more.)

You have a good point, Kexruct, but it would be best if the kids now had both their new fun and the old fun for an increased arsenal of goofing off.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Aliroz said:

Kexruct said:

Honestly, Aliroz, I think the issue might be that you're transferring the value of your own nostalgia towards such things to everyone else. Which is understandable. Everyone does it to an extent ("I can't believe kids will see the pipes and think of Flappy Bird, not Mario!") I have no doubt that you had a ton of fantastic experiences with all the games you listed, but think of the wonderful things that will happen to kids of the future, who have all new experiences to have? I mean, it's not like they can just live your life. You shouldn't expect them to.

Yeah, but what about when aliens come and challenge the world to a game of hackeysack and if they win they get to destroy the world?

You have a good point, Kexruct, but it would be best if the kids now had both their new fun and the old fun for an increased arsenal of goofing off.
    A while ago, our neighbor decided to cut down some trees near our house, leaving some rather ugly stumps.

Now, all the neighborhood kids consider them vital safe zones/alien landing zones depending on which game they are playing.

I think that is rather pretty,
    (2015 self)
    Anonus said:

Tachyon said:

@ Anonus: i associate him with Walker Books more

DreamWorks Animation owns all of the non-publishing rights to Where's Waldo

Which aren't worth a lot (other than licensing Waldo out to costume manufacturers?) but still

Remind me to add DreamWorks to my list of enemies. They are unworthy of the glory of Waldo.
    (2015 self)
    Odradek said:

Aliroz said:

Kexruct said:

A while ago, our neighbor decided to cut down some trees near our house, leaving some rather ugly stumps.

Now, all the neighborhood kids consider them vital safe zones/alien landing zones depending on which game they are playing.

I think that is rather pretty,

Man, kids can make anything great. There's probably no need to worry on that regard, then.
    (2015 self)
    Ripletopst.
  • i spent most of my childhood in my head

or in books
  • I can't help but wonder if the original looks better.

Like, the original version of it honestly amazes every time I see it. It's one of the best crafted areas in the entire series. Just the perfect combination of mostly simple design, understated but still vibrant color scheme, lighting, and sound come together to make an awe-inspiring area that I can't help but linger in every time I enter it. Whereas this version just seems too small, too textured, too warm, too colorful. It doesn't create reverence or awe; it's pretty, but it's not what the Temple of Time should be.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    @Tachyon your avatar is Daiyousei~! :D
  • Man, though, I love the original Temple of Time sooo much. Its reappearance in TP wasn't half bad either.
  • Odradek said:
    Kyle Kallgren’s character, OanCitizen, specializes in analyzing “art house” films through a self-aware, tragicomic intellectualism. His conclusions are often insightful, as when he outlines the political allegory of Yeelen through in depth discussion of Malayan history. More often than not, however, he resorts to the same kind of broad dismissal that points to his failure to meaningfully engage with films.

Gus Van Sant’s Gerry is boring and therefore bad. Harmony Korin’s Trash Humpers is obnoxious and therefore bad. Most interestingly, his two part review of Lars Von Trier’s Melancholia ends not with a conclusive opinion statement, but with Kallgren in a closet talking to the camera about his own struggles with inferiority, failure and depression. But these sincere digressions are rare, overwhelmed by a sensibility that sometimes feels like the equivalent of smashing a watch against the ground and then complaining when it doesn’t work. “Any critic is entitled to wrong judgments,” Susan Sontag said in Against Interpretation.  “But certain lapses of judgment indicate the radical failures of an entire sensibility.”

++++++++++++ good
  • Interesting, intelligent, a tad too dismissive, though. I will admit that Channel Awesome, as a whole, has had a negative effect on online criticism, but in the same way that The Dark Knight had a negative effect on criticism; the thing itself was good, but then everyone else started aping it while only copying the texture rather than understanding the ethos behind the textural decisions.
  •  But these sincere digressions are rare, overwhelmed by a sensibility that sometimes feels like the equivalent of smashing a watch against the ground and then complaining when it doesn’t work.
    Also what the hell even is this metaphor.
    His statement on Melancholia was that it was bullshit romanticizing a mental disorder.
  • Actually, the more I read this, the less I like it. It doesn't seem to take into account the purpose of a thing like TGWTG (hint: It's usually not analysis.)
    It doesn't go enough into the problem with plothole spotting over analysis of whether the movie is meeting the goals it sets for itself. Or if those goals are worthwhile.
  • Also there's this undercurrent of an obnoxious old guard mentality to it. "We can't be having with these newfangled people who try to be funny when the review! Tut tut!" Especially insulting because there are still plenty of good critics around; TGWTG is just the most visible because it's the most entertaining. 
  • Odradek said:

It doesn't go enough into the problem with plothole spotting over analysis of whether the movie is meeting the goals it sets for itself. Or if those goals are worthwhile.

Which would be a much bigger issue if any of this had pretense of being cutting analysis. For the most part, this isn't the case. Doug Walker is primarily an entertainer (albeit a decent-ish critic in his own right.)
  • earn the site an estimated $150,000 in ad revenue in 2009, not counting the $11,000 per month the site reportedly received in viewer donations. It’s the type of revenue that seems to contradict that surface level DIY aesthetics, compounded by the endless resalability of the sites content
    Wow, 150k whole dollars in a year? For a massively popular website with dozens of contributors? Why, they might get fifteen thousand dollars to themselves!
  • edited 2014-05-06 13:21:53
    Grah, why does this always happen. I think I like a thing, but then the thing turns out to be pretentious and obnoxious and condescending.
  • Looking in the comments section, he's actually talking to some of the people from TGWTG and being pretty okay, so maybe I shouldn't get all RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION over this after all.
    (2015 self)

I really do prefer nonentertaining criticism, and non-plothole finding, but Jesuptaku is a good critic who I disagree with on almost everything.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    those who can, do

those who can't, become critics
  • edited 2014-05-06 13:30:59
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I did have a message here complaining about the whole "there nbeeds to be RIGOUR, dammit" vibe I was getting, but if he's actually getting along with the TGWTG crew, that makes me feel better. 

I guess I'm remembering the last time this sort of hubbub happened, the "Reviewing the Reviewer" crap. Pointing out flaws is fine, but being a Fan Hater on top of that is just a dick move.
  • those who can, do

those who can't, become critics

:(
    search your feelings, you know it to be true
    since that's a pagetopper, you can imagine it's in response to anything you want
    Well a lot of TGWTG is comedy pieces using film footage as a prop.

Not all of it.

But a lot of it.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, some of the reviewers have a tendency to stray from the topic (oh hai, Linkara). Doug has gotten better about it, leaving the distractions in the framing material, and most of the other reviewers don't do extracurricular shtick.