The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I'm doing book deletion right now and there's this romance novel entitled "lock, stock and secret baby"
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Yeah, but XBoxen are copyrighted. 

So change it to F(x)Box. It's just basic algebra. v_v
  • Or XBucks. Because...Richie.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I don't know why, but but F(x) is funnier than y to me

Speaking of which, it's time to leave for math class

Talk to you all later!
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ABC Inc owns Richie Rich, which is indeed hippo shit

Also, Cap'n Crunch was created by Jay Ward

Praise Jay Ward
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Aliroz said:

This idea (that Game of Thrones is great because it's "realistic" and things don't happen according to narrative sense or quality storytelling because that's not how it happens in real life; that it's okay not to write a good story because real life is actually a poorly-written story and it's more realistic to have plots that go nowhere and shaggy dog endings and no actual denouement or point) is a terrible idea.

while I have not read Game of Thrones, I'm all in favor of the rest of it
    I don't think I ever tried Cap'n Crunch, though
  • Things I know about game of thrones: it has a throne and plot twists
  • Also some jerk kid
    Overhearing a conversation about Lorde

Mainstream culture
  • What does one say when conversing about lorde
    @conversation

My woman trouble began in 2010 and ended in 2011

What does one say when conversing about lorde

She's 17 and looks 40
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    ALL HAIL BRAK
    I could eat a whole pound of ham
    You're kinda cute AU
    just a little
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    IT'd be better if you wore a hat, Au.
  • edited 2014-02-20 18:20:55
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    "while I have not read Game of Thrones, I'm all in favor of the rest of it"

It sounds good on paper, but note that the phone book also lacks a denouement and a well-constructed plot.

If it was done well, maybe a plotless book could be something great like Finnegan's Wake or a slice-of-real-life thing; but really, it just comes off as trying to write a comedy without humor.  Trying to escape criticism by going "but it's not supposed to be all literary merit and narrative design!  It's supposed to be awkward and nowhere-going like real life" while still trying to tell a huge long intricate story.

Sure, that one episode of Haruhi where nothing happened and it was boring was amazing because it so clearly showed how the show worked and how integral certain characters were; but a whole series of that sort of episode and nothing else just doesn't work.

You can do Waiting for Godot; but when you make it half a million words; it gets really dang old.

And to properly be grimdark you have to have light.  You need light to cast an intense shadow.  that's why I like Monster but criticize Game of Thrones for being grim, gritty, and dark.  Monster had quiet moments of peace and serenity, where not much happened but it was a good breather and the feeling that all was well, at least for the moment, really was needed and it heightened the terrible moments.

"She remembered a story Old Nan had
    told once, about a man imprisoned in a dark castle by evil giants. He
    was very brave and smart and he tricked the giants and escaped... but no
    sooner was he outside the castle than the Others took him, and drank
    his hot red blood"

Basically, that's the whole series right there.  Now, imagine that for half a million words.  At first, the subversion is nice and novel and new, but it gets old after a few thousand pages.
    (2015 self)
    Triplepost.
    "literary merit" and "narrative design" have been two quite different things for a while now...

also, Samuel Beckett wrote novels similar to Godot and they're pretty cool too...

anyway, it isn't so much the grimdarkness that I approve of, it's the avoidance of nice tidy little plot arcs.
  • edited 2014-02-20 18:53:27
    (2015 self)
    There aren't nice tidy little plot arcs.  There aren't really any plot arcs.  Nothing seems to go anywhere.

And the part in that anecdote that I was trying to emphasize was the nowhere-going of it all.

As much as I hate that series, http://asoiap.tumblr.com/page/6 this blog is completely amazing.
  • Never be with0ut a Hat!
    (2010 self)
    Why are you still concerned with that stupid series?  I expected better from you.

How about, instead of complaining that it distracts from other, better, books, how about you focus on the actual better books.
    "Nothing seems to go anywhere."

Why does it have to?

In other news, cabbages.
    oh shit two Alirozeseseseseses
  • edited 2014-02-20 19:23:54
    Never be with0ut a Hat!
    (2010 self)

oh shit two Alirozeseseseseses

I was here first, you know.  By all rights, I should have the original crocshades avatar, and the younger self (who lacks the epithet) should have the inverse with the question mark.
  • edited 2014-02-20 19:14:18
    (2015 self)
    Nobody even likes you, confused.  There's a reason why you left.  Go drama up somewhere else.
    (2010 self)
    Oh come on, spineless.

We both know you're just ashamed of me because I remind you of back when you used to actually care about things; and never let things go.
    well, nice hat anyway
    (2015 self)
    Yeah, well, I'm happier now.  How much does your ranting and raving actually do?  You'll never be happy if you keep fighting for lost causes and putting in so much effort.
    (2010 self)
    That's not happiness, that's resignation and acceptance.

Real happiness is when you actually make things better and fix what is wrong, when you actually win an argument (wonder what that feels like) and do the impossible.
    (2015 self)
    But I never win an argument.  Trying to fix what is wrong by sheer ranting and raving and force of wearing everyone else down never works!

You're basically Sisyphus!
    (2010 self)
    Yeah, but if you stop trying to get the boulder up the mountain, you'll never get it up there!  You'll never know!  You'll never prove that it can be done if you just accept things as they are.
    (2015 self)
    But that's the point!  Impossible means impossible!  There are things you cannot change, and problems you cannot fix.  Limits exist!
  • back from giving plasma woo
  • You know, I was doing 'alt persona who speaks negatively about the main persona' thing before it was cool.

Pfft. Ignore this bozo, he's just trying to get attention. 

Shut up, Arthur.
  • edited 2014-02-20 19:58:42
    Never be with0ut a Hat!
    (2010 self)
    Sooner or later, either I'm gonna give up or I'm gonna succeed.

And I can control whether or not the first one happens.  If I don't let the first happen, the second must eventually happen.  Something's gotta give, and it's not gonna be me.

Just you wait.  Charlie Brown will kick the football.  Tantalus will get the grapes and water.  Ed, Edd, and Eddy will find success and acceptance.  Dick Dastardly will win the race someday.  Someday, the bad guys will actually take over the world.  Someday, in Cyberchase, either the kids will fix Motherboard or Hcker will successfully invade everything.  Someday, they'll get off of Gilligan's island.  Zenigata will catch Lupin.  Trix rabbit will get that goshadarn trix.  Detective Conan will reverse his shrinking.

Someday.

^ Hey, I'm from rather back when, you know.  I'm the main persona!  I was around back when you were the only one doing that 'alt persona who speaks negatively about the main persona' thing.
    success is terrible, though
    (2010 self)

success is terrible, though

But, you see,

I am terrible.
  • Sooner or later, either I'm gonna give up or I'm gonna succeed.

And I can control whether or not the first one happens.  If I don't let the first happen, the second must eventually happen.  Something's gotta give, and it's not gonna be me.

Just you wait.  Charlie Brown will kick the football.  Tantalus will get the grapes and water.  Ed, Edd, and Eddy will find success and acceptance.  Dick Dastardly will win the race someday.  Someday, the bad guys will actually take over the world.  Someday, in Cyberchase, either the kids will fix Motherboard or Hcker will successfully invade everything.  Someday, they'll get off of Gilligan's island.  Zenigata will catch Lupin.  Trix rabbit will get that goshadarn trix.  Detective Conan will reverse his shrinking.

Someday.

^ Hey, I'm from rather back when, you know.  I'm the main persona!  I was around back when you were the only one doing that 'alt persona who speaks negatively about the main persona' thing.

...Man, I don't even know what to call you.

Maybe you're like the base form that current Aliroz evolved from. Like the Kadabra to Ali's Alakazam.
    *big riff*
  • Game of Thrones the tv series returns on my Birthday, Coincidence meter?
  • i wanna hear an orchestral rendition of Jonestown by The Acacia Strain w/ a countertenor on vox, maybe Daniel Taylor.

• 1:23 best breakdown ever imho
  • its a cereal that i like but we dont get it that often
    I'm not Naney, but I fucking love Cap'n Crunch