The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My activity was almost perfectly symmetrical the other day, may8e  I should've screencapped it.
    TUMMY!
  • kiiiiiiiitty
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

Shadows are the cutest Heartless. :)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm awake now
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Tre steams platformers?? What an unusual thing to do!
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm thinking of switching to KDE

After all, I have decently powerful hardware (it's low-end shit, but it's recent low-end shit, so it should be able to run all that eye candy with no issue) and I've always liked KDE's appearance best out of the "big" desktops

I was interested in some of the improvements they're making to Xubuntu in the next version, but I suppose there's no reason I can't leave them both installed...
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I'd almost say it's not fair to pick on Windows XP because it's so old, but there are people who still use it as their daily driver and it's actually still under Microsoft support for another two months, so...
  • edited 2014-02-02 16:43:50
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    My old secondary school still uses XP, I think.
  • Pyridrym said:

this is incredible
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Not exactly picking on, more like nostalgic insanity
  • edited 2014-02-02 16:49:12
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    My college finally got rid of XP about two years ago, when they overhauled their ancient computer labs.

To get an idea of how old the hardware was: almost all of the PCs they had in the main computer lab were made by IBM. (Recall that IBM sold their PC business to Lenovo as early as 2005.)

^ Point.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    the new JOJ SUS
  • edited 2014-02-02 17:45:09

Kexruct said:

Pfft
  • Ira Aldridge: A black Shakespearean actor who was touring before slavery ended in the Americas.

Your Black History Month trivia for the day
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    blackface is kinda ridiculous
  • Trying to figure out if I should start asking around to find a roommate. Lowering my living expenses would be nice, and it'd be less lonely than living by myself, but...I dunno.

blackface is kinda ridiculous

well that's an understatement
  • You know that rainbow dash blurred lines shirt that that one person on tumblr claimed was at Target?

you know, this one?

and everyone said it was a fake?

I saw one at target today. Just like that one, but grey.
  • blackface is kinda ridiculous

I have to wonder what kind of mentality spawned this thing. Does anyone know why it exists?
  • edited 2014-02-02 19:05:14
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ Quelle dit...?

^ People make fun of what scares them.
  • edited 2014-02-02 19:06:47

life goals: look as cool as this man on at least one occasion.
    Haven said:

Trying to figure out if I should start asking around to find a roommate. Lowering my living expenses would be nice, and it'd be less lonely than living by myself, but...I dunno.

I'd be your roommate, if we weren't on opposite ends of the country!

#itsnotcreepy
  • edited 2014-02-02 19:11:39
    I always like dynamic transitions like that. ^^

When I was little I imagined a Sonic game zone that you'd enter while spinning through a windy tube structure.
  • glennmagusharveyglennmagusharvey
    sells a code and two pairs of plans
    /me sells a code and two pairs of plans
  • One of my favorite things about Tearaway is how every level leads directly into the next, with most of them directly connected to each other.

Also, speaking of games I like, I bought Rayman Origins exactly a year ago today!
  • Haven said:

Trying to figure out if I should start asking around to find a roommate. Lowering my living expenses would be nice, and it'd be less lonely than living by myself, but...I dunno.

I'd be your roommate, if we weren't on opposite ends of the country!

#itsnotcreepy
    Thanks, hypothetically! 

#but not hypothetical enough that you have your own princess castle #which would probably solve this and all other related problems #alas
    For some reason I imagine your room in the Royal Palace always has a big fire in the fireplace
  • edited 2014-02-02 19:24:22
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    I could warm up to that.
  • For some reason, I imagine Haven's room to be fire.

Not on fire, just a door that leads to a blazing inferno.

From whence the phoenix Haven rises out of his room for morning coffee.
  • Apparently there's a post making the rounds on Tumblr about pronouns to use for people who identify as plants.

...such as "it?" I know that's incredibly offensive to, like, transpeople but if you identify as a plant you are literally saying "I have the mind of a nonsentient entity." And we already have pronouns for those.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I wonder what's the weirdest thing anyone ever identified as
  • I'm really uncomfortable with calling people "it", personally

I'll respect the wishes of anyone, but that strikes me as more dehumanizing than anything else, and even if that's the wish of whoever I can't say I'd do that entirely willingly
  • I think plant is the weirdest I've seen so far. I saw someone who identified as a robot, so I dunno if that counts.
  • I'm fine with pretty much any other pronouns though

He, she, they, zhe and shklee are all fine with me (amongst others)
  • Tre said:

I'm really uncomfortable with calling people "it", personally

I'll respect the wishes of anyone, but that strikes me as more dehumanizing than anything else, and even if that's the wish of whoever I can't say I'd do that entirely willingly

I think the reason why that list of pronouns is going around is to avoid this, but if you're literally saying "I'm a plant" then you shouldn't be upset if you're referred to as "it." That's not even getting in to the fact that it is kind of silly for anyone to say that they have the mind or soul or whatever of a plant.
    One time on IJBM someone thought I was serious about being an alicorn otherkin

That amused me
  • Kexruct said:

I think plant is the weirdest I've seen so far. I saw someone who identified as a robot, so I dunno if that counts.

The only reason I would have a problem with someone who identified as a robot would be because of ignorant(willful or otherwise) people who try to use this kind of thing as a stepping stone to dismiss more legitimate dysphoria.

Then again, the boon would be on the people who are ignorant rather than the person making that statement, even in the case of the person making the statement being less than serious.
  • Shklee is 8est pronoun.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Kexruct said:

Tre said:

I think the reason why that list of pronouns is going around is to avoid this, but if you're literally saying "I'm a plant" then you shouldn't be upset if you're referred to as "it." That's not even getting in to the fact that it is kind of silly for anyone to say that they have the mind or soul or whatever of a plant.
    I've seen what you're talking about, and it's not meant to be for plant otherkin or anything like that. Apparently, the reason the person made the plant-based pronouns was because they liked plants and wanted their gender identity to include them (o_O ?). This apparently justifies making up ridiculous pronouns and trivializing the experiences of trans and non-binary people.

I agree that there should be sets of gender-neutral pronouns, including "they", that people can use if they don't explicitly identify as male or female. Making up new pronouns based on plants and animals and robots and astronomy, however, doesn't really seem to do much to help the situation. If anything, it gives fuel to prejudice against non-binary people under the assumption that "they're just special snowflakes".
  • edited 2014-02-02 19:48:18
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    pubble toast
  • Kexruct said:

Tre said:

I've seen what you're talking about, and it's not meant to be for plant otherkin or anything like that. Apparently, the reason the person made the plant-based pronouns was because they liked plants and wanted their gender identity to include them (o_O ?). This apparently justifies making up ridiculous pronouns and trivializing the experiences of trans and non-binary people.

I agree that there should be sets of gender-neutral pronouns, including "they", that people can use if they don't explicitly identify as male or female. Making up new pronouns based on plants and animals and robots and astronomy, however, doesn't really seem to do much to help the situation. If anything, it gives fuel to prejudice against non-binary people under the assumption that "they're just special snowflakes".
    While it does somewhat trivialize the feelings of trans/ non-binary gendered people, I can't help but feel as though the "fuel" this kind of behavior would provide for prejudiced individuals is being exaggerated.

Trans/ non-binary gendered individuals are already being trivialized by prejudiced people in the first place in an attempt to uphold some status quo of their understanding of gender and sex.