The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

I can't navigate Nico Nico Douga. Don't know Japanese and can't intuit it enough to figure it out.

Even if I could, I can't search for things in a language I don't speak.

I barely know any Japanese and I can navigate it just fine.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
  • Anonus said:

You know what I can't quite wrap my head around? The definition of "Jew."

Apparently, it can refer to both a practitioner of Judaism and someone with Israeli ancestry...I presume when my Mother says I'm "part-Jewish," she means the latter.
    Late, I know, but there are almost no practitioners of Judaism who aren't ethnically Jewish.
  • Kexruct said:

Anonus said:

Apparently, it can refer to both a practitioner of Judaism and someone with Israeli ancestry...I presume when my Mother says I'm "part-Jewish," she means the latter.
    Late, I know, but there are almost no practitioners of Judaism who aren't ethnically Jewish.
    That's not true at all. ._.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Page 4200. This demands terrible, terrible weed jokes and metal embeds.

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Kexruct said:

Anonus said:

. Perhaps a majority of practitioners of Judaism are ethnically Jewish, but "almost none" is probably not true. I mean, back Jews are a thing.

Kexruct said:

Anonus said:

• edited 2013-12-30 12:01:34
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    From the Credit Where It's Due Department: Project Gutenberg actually did get around to fixing that A Christmas Carol formatting I was bitching about earlier this month:

Before:

Fixed:
  • Aliroz said:

Kexruct said:

Anonus said:

. Perhaps a majority of practitioners of Judaism are ethnically Jewish, but "almost none" is probably not true. I mean, back Jews are a thing.
    I realize you likely meant to type "black Jews" but now I'm imagining a subset of Judaism that demands its practitioners walk in reverse at all times.
  • Really? I was under the impression that it was predominately an ethnic religion.
    (2015 self)
    Kexruct said:

Really? I was under the impression that it was predominately an ethnic religion.

Perhaps mostly (I don't know), but near-absolutes like "almost none" tend to not be true.
  • edited 2013-12-30 12:05:01
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ I don't wanna dog-pile over this, but really, there are a lot of Jews not descended directly (or at least not mainly) from the tribes of Israel. The Ethiopians and Khazars mass-converted, with many remaining Jewish well after the introductions of Christianity and Islam into their lands; to whit, most modern Jews, while they will cop to it or not, have plenty of outsider DNA if they aren't from, you know, the ancient Jerusalem ghettos or the Yemeni highlands or something. And there are plenty of modern converts, too.
  • Page 4200. This demands terrible, terrible weed jokes and metal embeds.

you're gonna go stoner metal and not Snoop?

heretical.
    Kexruct said:

Really? I was under the impression that it was predominately an ethnic religion.

no.
  • edited 2013-12-30 12:06:31
    ^^Ah, okay. Sorry.
  • ^^ I don't wanna dog-pile over this, but really, there are a lot of Jews not descended directly (or at least not mainly) from the tribes of Israel. The Ethiopians and Khazars mass-converted, with many remaining Jewish well after the introductions of Christianity and Islam into their lands; to whit, most modern Jews, while they will cop to it or not, have plenty of outsider DNA if they aren't from, you know, the ancient Jerusalem ghettos or the Yemeni highlands or something. And there are plenty of modern converts, too.

The Khazars are a fascinating people. I wish I knew more about them.

I thought Ethiopia was primarily Christian, at least medievally? Hence the Ethiopian Orthodox Church.
  • My favorite G-Funk album has actually always been Eazy E's It's On. Record is vicious.

Can't be assed to type out the full title though.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

The Khazars are a fascinating people. I wish I knew more about them..

Well there's a dictionary you can read...

#jokesonlysrednivashtarwillget

#andimimaybe

#tops
  • Don't make esoteric jokes in my presence. I'll call a crusade upon your house.
  • edited 2013-12-30 12:11:15
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Before they were Christian, the Ethiopians were mainly Jewish, and until relatively recently there was a very large population of practising Jews still there. Most of them have emigrated to Israel, however, not unlike the Malabar Jews (who resided in India for a good two thousand years before heading out after independence).
    Odradek said:

The Khazars are a fascinating people. I wish I knew more about them..

Well there's a dictionary you can read...

#jokesonlysrednivashtarwillget

#andimimaybe

#tops
    #mostobscurelol
    I still can't believe the American film industry will make red scare movies about the Chinese, then realize the Chinese market is huge, and change the Chinese to North Koreans hoping they won't notice.

So dumb.
  • snoop/sleep collab make it happen
  • Before they were Christian, the Ethiopians were mainly Jewish, and until relatively recently there was a very large population of practising Jews still there. Most of them have emigrated to Israel, however, not unlike the Malabar Jews (who resided in India for a good two thousand years before heading out after independence).

I see.

I have only a vague knowledge of the medieval kingdom, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance.

I should try to find a book on the subject sometime. Criminally little is written about African medieval history.
  • speaking of Snoop he actually put out a really good album with Dam-Funk this year under the name 7 Days of Funk. I haven't heard it yet, but that's what I've heard regarding its quality.
  • ._.

It's like every time I think I know a thing it turns out the thing was wrong.
  • im saying that snoop and sleep should collaborate on a song
  • Kexruct said:

._.

To be completely fair to you, that's a very common misconception re: the Jewish.

It's why very few people make a distinction between people who are Jewish by faith and those who are ethnically Israeli.
  • edited 2013-12-30 12:18:36
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Kexruct said:

^^Ah, okay. Sorry.

Kexruct said:

._.

s'alright.

The four most powerful words in our language are "I do not know". When you say that, you open your mind to explore the world, to ask questions. The next four most powerful words are "let us find out". When you say those words, you begin exploring. Another four powerful words would be "oh. I was wrong". Hard to say (and don't I know it) but important.

'Tis no shame to learn. Quite the opposite, in fact.

who is sleep tho

who is sleep tho

Drop out of life with bong in hand 
    Follow the Smoke toward the Riff filled Land
  • You know, every a cappella song I've heard just sounds kinda lame to me and I dunno why. 
  • Kexruct said:

You know, every a cappella song I've heard just sounds kinda lame to me and I dunno why. 

"House Carpenter" by SubRosa.
    (2015 self)

Kexruct said:

You know, every a cappella song I've heard just sounds kinda lame to me and I dunno why. 

I do find Pentatonic to be annoying, but I like the Carmen Sandiego song by Rockapella.
  • umbrella handled sword

sweet
    There is no such thing as a hugbox, there are simply bad group consensuses.
  • Odradek said:

There is no such thing as a hugbox

Odradek said:

There is no such thing as a hugbox

I see nuzzink

Kexruct said:

._.

To be completely fair to you, that's a very common misconception re: the Jewish.

It's why very few people make a distinction between people who are Jewish by faith and those who are ethnically Israeli.
    Wrong word here. Political minefields and all that. Another understandable mistake, but... "ethnically Jewish" is the right phrase.
  • this page has contained an Eazy E embed, a discussion about medieval Ethiopia, and screencaps of YuruYuri.

Good. Good.

Kexruct said:

._.

Wrong word here. Political minefields and all that. Another understandable mistake, but... "ethnically Jewish" is the right phrase.
    fair enough, but it is the preferred term I have heard on the rare occasion the subject has come up.
    Hey Vash.

I know you are not a gamer, but I think you will be amused by the contents of this thread http://www.heapershangout.com/index.php?p=/discussion/5245/gaming-got-its-citizen-kane-in-1996-and-we-didnt-notice

this page has contained an Eazy E embed, a discussion about medieval Ethiopia, and screencaps of YuruYuri.

Good. Good.

Kexruct said:

._.

fair enough, but it is the preferred term I have heard on the rare occasion the subject has come up.
    Most Jews are not Israeli, and a lot of them are not exactly keen on how the state of Israel was founded, so confusing Jewish ethnicity with Israeli nationality is a very bad idea. (And there are non-Jewish Israelis, mostly Arabs but also Christians, Druzes and Samaritans, but that's another thing.)

But yes, this has been a pretty good page for stuff.

Odradek said:

Hey Vash.

I know you are not a gamer, but I think you will be amused by the contents of this thread http://www.heapershangout.com/index.php?p=/discussion/5245/gaming-got-its-citizen-kane-in-1996-and-we-didnt-notice
    Pfffft...
  • you know what else this page needs?

Serene Doge.