The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I try to do that.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I buy lots of good indie games. :D
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
  • Also, promoting fan-works that give attention to those creators.  And giving those creators credit, and where possible, funding.

No credit goes to those big-name folks that try to control the public discourse into a profit-maximization scheme with their mass marketing shit.
    Pillows, here is a neat little fact about forever: a monkey in front of a typewriter in that time would almost certainly produce all of Shakespeare's plays. :3
    omg I think I upset Pyridrym for not trying to be a good DOTA2 player and giving up a lot and generally sucking
    I'm so bad at RTS type stuff
  • edited 2013-11-14 22:28:24
    Also supporting all those people who make fan videos of stuff.  And trying to help see to it that, if their stuff gets taken down, it goes back up.  Or at least people know that it was taken down.  And care about that and feel offended by that.

In general, supporting legitimate derivative work.  We should be doing what we can to make transformative derivative works legal.

While you can pay a flat rate and cover someone else's song, in the music industry, you can't do that with pretty much anything else.  And that would be a good first step in the right direction, policy-wise.
    wtf

• edited 2013-11-14 22:29:09
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Miko said:

Pillows, here is a neat little fact about forever: a monkey in front of a typewriter in that time would almost certainly produce all of Shakespeare's plays. :3

however the monkey would die before it came close
    what the hell is DOTA2

and the monkey thing is well-known. They would also produce the works of James Joyce, Charles Dickens, and Miko.
    Death Of The Author 2?
    I accidenally the whole SDR2 story to myself so now I know the plot :<
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    infinity is absurd in so many ways
  • edited 2013-11-14 22:31:42
    so whenever you see a youtube video that you like

remember that...
    1. it could be gone any minute now, thanks to DMCA
    2. you can help preserve it

find a way to save it permanently to your own hard drive
    remember to save the video description too
    credit the uploader, and whoever else they credit

(exception is probably straight-up uploads of other content, such as a whole song or movie or something.  though even then, maybe the visuals would make it worth it...think AMVs and such.  those definitely add new meaning to the music.)
    There are no moral or intellectual merits. Homer composed the Odyssey; if we postulate an infinite period of time, with infinite circumstances and changes, the impossible thing is not to compose the Odyssey, at least once. - Borges
  • The sadness will last forever.
    kill copyright
  • edited 2013-11-14 22:33:20
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    however the monkey would die before it came close
    yup yup. S/he would also run out of ink and paper. :D
    They would also produce the works of James Joyce, Charles Dickens, and Miko.
    ^w^
    what the hell is DOTA2
    Defense of the Ancients 2, a team-focused strategy game of sorts.

omg I can't even spell and I haven't had alcohol in like a week
  • edited 2013-11-14 22:33:57
    The way classical composers worked back in the day, the modern notion of copyright was not even a thing -- you just credited your source and wrote your variations on their theme or fugue on their melody.  And everyone enjoyed a good time.

Now if you announce you're remaking an old videogame in 3D, you get threatened by people wanting to sue your pants off.
    i love things that are free
    Pillows said:

what the hell is DOTA2

and the monkey thing is well-known. They would also produce the works of James Joyce, Charles Dickens, and Miko.

but did you know that there's no need to employ any monkeys at all?

the complete works of every author ever are encoded in the digits of every normal irrational number

the difficulty is in determining which numbers are normal, of course
  • Miko said:

I accidenally the whole SDR2 story to myself so now I know the plot :<

I don't think that's how the Animaniacs theme song goes

I spoiled myself for something major in SDR2 so I just went ahead and read the tumblr translations, it was A Good Decision.
    :o
    *hugs Havy-gravy* ^_^
  • I love things that are free, too, but I recognize that there really is no free lunch if you look at the big picture.  So I've realized I have to be careful to support those things that I support, with my funding.

We might vote with our political votes only once every year (or for those of you who are less aware of elections, once every two or four years), but we vote with our money almost every day.
  • *hugs Mikokoro, Center of the Sea*
  • *warns the next poster a8out stairs*
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    N word privileges, shut up.
    well, i mean, the reason for Shakespeare's pedestal in English literature is certainly worth questioning, and has been questioned, in a serious academic context, not just on the internet

but A Midsummer Night's Dream, a bad play?
    ruler of the poc

speaking for them
    crimebots
    *falls down stairs*
    bark
    y'know I actually did fall down some stairs once

but it didn't keep happening
  • edited 2013-11-14 22:54:15
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Sometimes Reality needs to be told to sit down and shut the heck up because dang it, there is such thing as a five-meter Crocodile. Harald Hardraade really was that frigging tall. Closer to seven feet than six, and closer to eight feet than seven. Brendan the navigator really did ride a whale. William Tell shot the frigging apple off of his son's head. Edward the Confessor COULD AND DID cure leprosy, poison, any kind of illness with a touch and the water he washed his hands in DID make the blind see. Edward the Confessor could make a man born without arms grow working arms and he could bring back the dead, he DID bring a beheaded man back to life be putting the man's head back on and putting a ring on his finger, and that ring WAS given to Edward by an angel. The only people Edward the Confessor could not save were himself and his brother Alfred. Battle numbers in history atr not exaggerated. Joan of Arc really did find Joyeuse, the sword of Charlemagne. Speaking of named swords, Gyrngras is still out there, somewhere. Martin Luther actually did hit Satan with that inkwell, and it actually did hurt Satan (though it passed through him and hit the wall). Nicephorus Phocas was actually a dwarf and Bohemond was a giant, and Phocas really was that ugly and Bohemond VII did produce offspring in Lataika.
    "Signalling" is Less Wrong's "Smurfing"
  • edited 2013-11-14 22:56:33
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Odradek said:

"Signalling" is Less Wrong's "Smurfing"

TIMESTAMPS MYRMIDON! WE POSTED ATTHE SAME TIME!

Also, Agreed, though I haven't visited Less Wrong more than a half dozen times, that seems to be their verbal fix.  I meant to sauce bal tic, but I like the way it came out better.
    Anyways,  RESURGAM

-hugs Yarrun-
    Huh.
    smurfing?
    bamboo ceiling
    mothersmurfers
    bad movie month
  • there's a new death grips album
  • Thanks to copyright law, there can be no more classic works.  Everything is now modern, forever.  Nothing can be a point of social commonality, unless it somehow loses its copyright status and goes into the public domain by accident.  Or rather, social commonality has been commercialized and monetized: in order to be in the know, you will have to pay money to experience the musical or verbal or visual thing that everyone is talking about.
    "new postIf *you* had written the Star Wars prequels"

Yeah that's a good thread for your srs discussion forum. Fits right in there between Canadian Politics and LGBT Rights.