The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I do sometimes wonder how Jeffrey Katzenberg felt about The Lone Ranger tainting the property for the forseeable future (He's the CEO of DreamWorks Animation, who left Disney in a huff back in 1994 to co-found DreamWorks SKG in the first place, and DWA bought the property's owner, Classic Media, last year)

I admit, as the company's pretend owner it is a bit irksome how oft-ridiculed CM's properties tend to be...
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    The three bad movie podcasts I like

We Hate Movies is 3-4 New Yorkers talking about bad movies. They tend to go really deep into synopsizing the movies and the typical podcast lasts about the length of a movie. They are my favorites because they go really deep into each movie. They tend to tackle movies they genuinely hate, but occasionally come across a campy gem, like Tuff Turf, Hider In The House, and Only The Strong. They tend to do more obscure, older films.

The Flophouse is 3 writers for the Daily Show talking about movies that, true to the title, flopped at the box office. Unlike We Hate Movies, they don't go quite as deep into analyzing the movies and tend to go off on more tangents and spend time talking about other things. They're still funny enough that it works. They're less angry, generally than We Hate Movies. Typical length is about an hour.

Alchohollywood is 2 goons and a rotating array of guests talking about movies, both good and bad. Their name comes from the drinking games and special drinks they come up with for each movie. They're not quite as good as the other two, given that there's usually a quiz segment that slows everything down in the middle of each podcast, but they're still good. Also sometimes someone gets really drunk on air.

There, now you can go not listen to them.
  • edited 2013-10-13 21:21:22
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i'm not running a flophouse for degenerate bugs!
  • Ludmila said:

I let fans and antifans dictate too much of how much I like something. I don't even want to watch the new episode of Kill la Kill at this point because of that sort of thing.

Then why care about them?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    and the plastic's all melted and so is the chrome

i'm not running a flophouse for degenerate bugs!

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i did kinda let fans and antifans put me off MLP

not intentionally, they just kind of soured the experience for me
    For me, it was partly the fandom/hatedom and what I saw as the declining quality of the material itself...
    i was still enjoying it well into S3, but then the whole thing somehow stopped being fun

didn't help that i suddenly became quite self-conscious about it on finding out i was the only one here who didn't have a reason for watching it beyond liking the show
  • edited 2013-10-13 21:36:25
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    That's a shame, Jabberwock. Fans and anti-fans in and of themselves are no reason to stop watching something, though that's understandable. It's a good show, not perfect, but a good show that's worth watching. I could kind of see the point in avoiding something if it espoused bigoted values — which My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic doesn't — except even then I'd say it's better to give something a fair shake before you write it off, generally speaking. By which I mean, I'm definitely going to write off something like Mein Kampf where values are concerned, but I might check out Melancholia in the future even though Lars von Trier isn't exactly my favorite person. Honestly, it's conversations like these that remind me why I don't miss going on Tumblr much, even though I generally enjoy the place.
  • edited 2013-10-13 21:39:54
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I've been self-conscious about it forever; if not for the fandom's work and a few other redeeming things (e.g. the art style itself) I think I would have given up on it a long time ago

It doesn't help that the fandom tends to treat it as some groundbreaking, novel thing, when more often than not it's competent children's entertainment with flashes of brilliance (though the My Little Pony IP was in need of reinvigoration anyway)
    i guess i had a reaction kinda like, there are so many cartoons i could be watching, so why this one?  plus as i said it somehow just stopped being entertaining, which might not be anything to do with the show itself; i went off a couple of other shows and a bunch of webcomics at the same time because they also became boring to me
  • I'm watching gingitsune, so far it's nice
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Fair enough Jabberwock. I know the feeling, and I was typing that about the original fans/anti-fans comment before seeing your follow-up.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Bad movies 4ever
    world 6-1
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm awake, finally

I feel shitty

I slept the entire day away and I don't know if I'll be able to remain awake more than half an hour from this point on
  • i would be truly happy if i had a fur collared jacket and combat boots
  • edited 2013-10-13 22:19:02

i know that feel

once i get a job i should see how much it would be to pay someone to mod my headphones w/a jack for a replaceable cable

or, failing that, i'll pick up a cheap pair with a replaceable cable for walking around and just get my expensive ones fixed and keep them at home
    that essential moment in every Castlevania where you must cross a treacherous pathway while dodging flying Medusa heads
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm kind of at a loss for what to do now.

I've slept long enough that I'm probably not going to be able to sleep any time tonight or this morning

But I can't just stay awake because I have stuff to do tomorrow and in total I'd end up having to be awake like 21 hours to finish all my cap
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Suggestion: Aliroz becomes Eadward's Mace and Yarrun becomes... something Confused.

Eadward's mace?

Nah, as much as I love the House of Wessex, I'm a Knýtlinga supporter all the way.  All hail the house of Gorm!

But,
    then again, I always liked Harald Hardraada and I maintain that he was a
    true descendant of Harald Fairhair and all stupid modern historians be
    darned.  So, as a family related to the House of Gorm, I support that
    lineage, too.

But, all in all, if I'm anyone's mace, I'm Godwin's mace.  Godwins all the way, except Swein, who is a nithing.

So yeah, so many awesome people in that century; and then William the Conqueror, who is a nithing.

But nooooo, mention Godwin and all anyone thinks of is Nazis.

Thanks, internet.

In other news, it is snowing outside adn we won't see ground until June.  Christmas songs now sung on radio.  I.  Hate.  Snow.

RESURGAM.
    *sells the next poster a smartphone that uses Zapfino as its only interface font*
  • edited 2013-10-13 22:37:11
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Nice!

I like Zapfino.
  • you know it's kind of depressing that such is sufficient for something to be hailed as socially progressive

If not that, what else?
    Route 666 said:

*sells the next poster a smartphone that uses Zapfino as its only interface font*

Oh my god why

It's so decorative and fancy
  • edited 2013-10-13 23:00:15
    (2015 self)
    It really makes me sad that Anonus sort of lost enthusiasm and joy in MLPFIM.

To no longer enjoy something that you used to delight in, to look at something that you were excited about and feel that the quality and magic spark is gone; to spoil your memories, is sad.

I, for one, am afraid to read The Remarkable Journey of Prince Jen because of how wonderful I remember it being.
    Anonus said:

Route 666 said:

Oh my god why

It's so decorative and fancy
    That's the joke, silly
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Melusina said:

the only way to truly appreciate things is in isolation

alas

Is it? :o
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    aww :)

*ships*
  • edited 2013-10-13 22:55:16
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I'm sober tonight.
    Really.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I appreciate many things with friends.

Melusina said:

the only way to truly appreciate things is in isolation

alas

Is it? :o
    not necessarily.
    :)
    so Miko, what are your thoughts on
    Melusina said:

that essential moment in every Castlevania where you must cross a treacherous pathway while dodging flying Medusa heads

• edited 2013-10-13 23:05:08
    (2015 self)
    Yarr, did any of the bookstores have The King's Shadow?

You guys are all awesome.

Stay warm, Aliroz.

I will be warm beneath the blankets.

Good night, dear friend. Resurgam. May you all find what you are looking for.
    Melusina said:

so Miko, what are your thoughts on

Melusina said:

Whipping is usually better than jumping, and standing still usually creates a pattern if you must jump.
    of course you must jump! They MAKE you jump across a bunch of little chasms, the bastards
    Which one are you playing? :)
    I was playing the third one.

Will I try it again? Who knows

It was actually the second boss that ended up killing me
    hmm, if you mean Grant, then you just walk underneath him when he is on the ceiling and then stay on the far left to jump over him.

If you mean the cyclops, I think the AI is different between the Japan and US versions but it's probably easier for the US; you just crouch on the platforms and jump over him when he charges (I think?).

If you mean the bat that splits up, axes are probably the best to use, while staying lower down.
    I think it was the second one
    Anyway I just fired up the unreleased Star Fox 2 intending to try it once (never had before), and ended up beating the game

So it turns out I am awesome after all
  • you should play Dark Souls instead Kappa.