The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• SF_Sorrow said:

Then he got shot.

hmm, this has started up that little thing i wonder about regarding the way historical figures are viewed.
  • like, some historical figures are seen as old, and some are seen as young, despite the fact that they all grew old and died eventually at some point. Like, if you ask someone to picture Walt Whitman they think of him as old with his huge beard.
  • I'd say it has something to do with when the media was most interested in Person Y, or when most of the pictures of Person Y were taken.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    pumpkin flavored soda
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    It is eternally difficult for me to realize there was a time Bertrand Russell was young.
    carrie white
  • it's still a weird thing to think about, like

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    dirty pillows
  • There is the fact that, in my mind, Bill Cosby doesn't have a gray hair on his head.

I'm not sure if he still has a black hair on his head.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

So apparently the SA mod who shut down mock threads got cyberstalked by a weird offshoot of SA for disgruntled libertarian former posters until she had to give up being a mod as a result of it.

Now mock threads are back.

The culture wars in SA are weird as fuck.
    Oh wait no apparently this isn't what happened but is a rumor that exists because the SA mods won't talk about it.

whoa

two whole parents
    cuteness
    beanies
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

I'd say it has something to do with when the media was most interested in Person Y, or when most of the pictures of Person Y were taken.

Eadward the Confessor was always old, and always had almost-see-through white skin and a long silky beard; with long fingers; and very visible veins.

Dude always looked like a wizard/saint/old-jedi.

I simply can't imagine Eadward without the being old and albino.

I mean, the man really didn't have a childhood.  His mother abandoned him, his father, and his brother Alfred; and then she went and married his father's sworn enemy, Canute.  What's more, she always liked her children with that guy much better than she liked Eadward and Alfred.

Eadward's childhood came to a crashing halt, and you can pinpoint the exact day that the child in him was slaughtered and the pious, nervous, man was born.

Alfred went to Godwin Wulnothcild for protection, which Godwin gave to him; though Godwin was the right-hand man of Canute.  Sacred hospitality protected Alfred, and even the mighty Canute could not touch him; not without breaking the great Hospitality, the greatest of laws; and not without ticking off his right-hand man.

Well, what happened was, for some unknowable reason, Alfred left; and was seen next in the clutches of Canute, blinded and captured.  He died a few weeks later, with the monks, having been released.

Did Godwin betray Alfred to his master, Canute?  Did Canute's men kidnap Alfred?  Did Alfred actually leave of his own accord (nobody really believes this)?

Even today, people disagree on how complicit Godwin was in the murder of Alfred.

Like I said, Eadward's childhood came to a crashing halt, and you can pinpoint
    the exact day that the child in him was slaughtered and the pious,
    nervous, man was born.  The day he learned of his brother's death.

Eadward never wanted to be King.  Never.  He wanted to be a churchman.  He wanted to learn to heal the sick and comfort the hurt.  Alfred was supposed to be king; and he knew it and wanted it.

Well, in the end, Eadward became king with the support of Godwin, who betrayed Canute's son.  Eadward never forgave Godwin for his involvement in Alfred's death.  Eadward never forgave his mother for abandoning him.  Godwin became Eadward's second in command, indispensable to his rule.
  • edited 2013-10-01 22:42:04
    The sadness will last forever.
    beanies 4 losers
    world peace will never happen since we are monsters
  • edited 2013-10-01 22:42:22
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    ^^why

^well yeah
    i hate them and they look ugly
    I guess that's as good a reason as any
    emos r so 2000s
  • I think scene girls are pretty cute, actually.

Fight me.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Resurgam.
  • man scene hasn't been a thing for like 5 years now
    emos are amateurs
    pringles
    anklessssxet
    lifeism
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    is it just me or is "locomotive" a funny word
    nope

it is pretty funny
    do the locomotion
    lizard
    reptile
  • I think this is the first time I've gotten genuinely frustrated with this game.
  • List of things you are required to do to fight the Iron Golem boss in Dark Souls (from the nearest checkpoint):
    • Dodge a ton of explosive firebombs
    • kill the thing throwing said firebombs (a giant, which is in of itself a boss fight)
    • drop down a hole the giant was guarding, taking unavoidable falling damage
    • cross a bridge with swinging guillotenes on it. Unsurprisingly one hit will kill you, and the bridge is very narrow
    • defeat two snake-men who are set up in such a way that they flank you. One is a caster who hurls lightning bolts, and the other is a melee user with a very strong sword attack.
    • cross another guilottene bridge, this time with a snake wizard firing lightning at you while you cross it. This one is even more narrow
    • I don't know, because I haven't gotten this far yet.
    still not as hard as Dodonpachi
  • kill living beings
    Tachyon said:

is there like an easy way to determine how two chemicals would react?

if they're not anything too exotic, sure! what are they? the rules depend on the general sorts of compounds you're dealing with, e.g. are they organic or not.
    C18H27NO3 and NaOH
    oh boy organic chemistry i don't know shit about that

i'm thinking by the former compound you mean capsaicin, the chili pepper stuff? there are actually multiple different compounds with that name. different shapes and all

i don't think much would happen though. capsaicin isn't an acid or anything so the obvious reaction with sodium hydroxide is right out.
  • you know i was like thinking

if Sailor Jerry were Obi Wan Kenobi than Ed Hardy would be Anakin Skywalker
  • maybe if you put them together it creates The Thing from The Thing.
    speed run world record
  • edited 2013-10-02 00:58:13
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

oh boy organic chemistry i don't know shit about that

i'm thinking by the former compound you mean capsaicin, the chili pepper stuff? there are actually multiple different compounds with that name. different shapes and all

i don't think much would happen though. capsaicin isn't an acid or anything so the obvious reaction with sodium hydroxide is right out.
    oh ok, thank you

i was mainly wondering whether the capsaicin would break down; as far as i can discern it wouldn't since capsaicin is neither a protein nor a lipid, but i know literally jack shit about chemistry
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    so anyway, they shout down viewer.nationalmap.gov because of this bullshit

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Melusina said:

still not as hard as Dodonpachi

*hug* :)

• edited 2013-10-02 01:43:47
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Should the requirements be met, the commander reveals, in a shocking twist, that the mechanized aliens were in fact the pilot's own comrades (the International version of the game renders this as a "lost fleet" legendary among cadets) trying to actually stop him/her, being aware of the commander's nefarious scheme revealed in the true and final ending. Having served its purpose, the commander's advanced fleet is ordered to annihilate the pilot, and on this premise the second loop of the game begins.

If the player completes the game once again, this time without any kind of requirement except the annihilation of the ultimate fighting machine Hibachi, in the true ending the pilot realizes that the DonPachi's true goal was to annihilate the human race, owing to its deranged commander's idea that mankind was a flawed creation to be eradicated from existence. Ironically, the existing problems of overpopulation, environmental pollution, and arms races were solved by this one-man war. The staff credits appear afterwards.

This

is the best ending ever

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    It is~
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Dan vs the Locomotive
  • Dan Vs the Loco Motive
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Dan Vs 'The Loco-Motion'