The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Good morning.
  • edited 2013-08-17 15:15:23
    I long for the day when I can make something like that in seven days.

Well, gotta start somewhere.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    cucumber ice cream

sounds gross but at least it gets rid of those pesky things
  • The sadness will last forever.
    zoool
  • doot dee doot dee doot

Hello!
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I'm online.
    (2015 self)
    I know it's an observation that's already been made, but this is hilarious.

• HE'S NOT A NINJA

C'MON, IT'S IN THE TITLE
    (2015 self)
    I know, I know.
  • tartakovsky's cool
  • edited 2013-08-17 15:49:39
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)

Turn on captions.
  • I love when programming dilemmas have simple solutions.

I was playing around with lists, but for some reason, this wouldn't work.
    l1st = ['what', 'how', 'who']
    l2st = ['why', 'when', ['my', 'sharona']]
    l3st = ['hi' , 'bye']
    allLists = [l1st, l2st, l3st]

print(allLists[2][3][1])
    And after like fifteen minutes I remembered that zero, not one, is counted as the first number in a list. So it should've looked like this.

l1st = ['what', 'how', 'who']
    l2st = ['why', 'when', ['my', 'sharona']]
    l3st = ['hi' , 'bye']
    allLists = [l1st, l2st, l3st]

print(allLists[1][2][0])
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    the spirit of radio
    (2015 self)
    Someone write down what the Scotsman said there.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Kexruct said:

+me

why am i still invisible
    There's a way to turn that on/off in User Settings.
    freewill
    CHEF

WAITERMAN
  • Kexruct said:

+me

why am i still invisible
    Yeah, I know. I fixed it.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Kexruct said:

Kexruct said:

+me

why am i still invisible
    Yeah, I know. I fixed it.
    Alright. I'm glad that's been resolved.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Anonus said:

is it better than the dreck DWA was coming out with from about 2004 through 2007

Hang on, lemme remember what they did around there...

Shrek 2: Probably not, no
    Shark Tale: Yes
    Madagascar: Yes
    Over the Hedge: Not likely
    Shrek the Third: Absolutely
    Bee Movie: Yes
    I don't consider Shrek 2 to be dreck

I don't get why people seem to defend Over the Hedge

It seems like a pretty generic piece of work and I don't like the character designs
  • So I'm reading Huck Finn for AP English

2 things:

1) Twain seems mighty comfortable with using the N-word. I know it was a different time but damn.

2) How are you going to take people for ransom if you don't even know what ransom means? :P
    (2015 self)
    (2015 self)
    Tre said:

So I'm reading Huck Finn for AP English

2 things:

1) Twain seems mighty comfortable with using the N-word. I know it was a different time but damn.

2) How are you going to take people for ransom if you don't even know what ransom means? :P

Dude, my father remembers a time when you could use that word all the time, and nobody would get offended.

Note:  My father is not racist in the slightest.
  • Over the Hedge's real appeal comes from its subtle satire of consumerism.

It's not as obvious as the whole poking fun at suburb life thing the movie has going on, but still.
    That may be it, but I watched Doug Walker blurb about it...he seemed put-off by the overbearing bland humor of it

Maybe I would be too

I haven't watched it in years
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I think I watched it, like, once

It didn't strike me as all that bad, but it didn't seem especially memorable
    Me too

Oddly, it was the first movie that DreamWorks stuck its name onto in the marketing

They more or less shared a captive audience with Pixar back then
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I keep seeing Mercedes-Benz Sprinters around here lately

It's funny; for a long time I only really saw the Dodge-branded version around here, but I guess since that's been discontinued the businesses that liked it (like Fedex) moved to the original Mercedes ones
  • edited 2013-08-17 16:54:04
    Tre said:

So I'm reading Huck Finn for AP English

2 things:

Huck Finn is a satire. And from a different time. And even then, it was set fiftyish to a hundredish maybe more years before Twain wrote it.

On a tangentially related note, I miss being an honors kid.
    crab nebula
    why am i looking at the #down with molestia tag

i think i need a grown-up to take the Tumblr away for a while
  • I looked at it earlier today. I don't know how I feel about the debate and I don't care enough about cartoon horses to figure out.

Also it's times like these where SparkNotes is especially helpful. I caught some of the humor Twain wrote but definitely not on the level they did.
  • i finally caved and got spotify unlimited

its bad for artists really but its a good service for £5 a month, all that music......

Also,

DreamWorks has been pretty much desperate for Turbo to be a franchise. They put a TV series, Turbo F.A.S.T., on the slate and sold the broadcast rights to it around the world (it will be on Netflix in the U.S.) before the movie even came out!
  • edited 2013-08-17 17:10:56
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Something of an oddity: MANSFIELD ROAD ENDS AT KNOX LAKE

Seems straightforward enough, until you realize it's warning of a dead end that won't come for almost 8 more miles.

My only guess is that they didn't want to mislead people into thinking that "Mansfield Road" still continues on to Mansfield as it would have before the lake was built.
  • my thoughts: the real problem with music downloading, the one that will be hardest to tackle, is that now in a lot of places its socially expected that people know about a shit ton of music. like, far more than anyone except the richest dudes would be able to buy. everyone has 700 artists in their last.fm these days. how do you reconcile the new expectations of music fans' knowledge with giving the artists enough money to continue producing their music?

well what its moving towards is you have everyone using streaming services like spotify to let them discover and sample this huge range of music, and artists make shit all out of it. and then they have to hope that they pick up a real rabid hardcore fanbase who will bbuy CDs, vinyls, go to shows, buy merch etc. just because they love the band. thats where artists will make money i think. in a sense its sad, but it allows bands like Kayo Dot who have a relatively very small following, but one that really loves what they do, to continue recording without labels and stuff..... the tiny bands doing unique relatively niche things can carve out a little niche like that. it's not like its easy though

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    sunn wolf said:

my thoughts: the real problem with music downloading, the one that will be hardest to tackle, is that now in a lot of places its socially expected that people know about a shit ton of music. like, far more than anyone except the richest dudes would be able to buy. everyone has 700 artists in their last.fm these days. how do you reconcile the new expectations of music fans' knowledge with giving the artists enough money to continue producing their music?

well what its moving towards is you have everyone using streaming services like spotify to let them discover and sample this huge range of music, and artists make shit all out of it. and then they have to hope that they pick up a real rabid hardcore fanbase who will bbuy CDs, vinyls, go to shows, buy merch etc. just because they love the band. thats where artists will make money i think. in a sense its sad, but it allows bands like Kayo Dot who have a relatively very small following, but one that really loves what they do, to continue recording without labels and stuff..... the tiny bands doing unique relatively niche things can carve out a little niche like that. it's not like its easy though

This is absolutely true. I hadn't really thought of it before, but that is right on the money. Thank you.
  • edited 2013-08-17 17:31:54
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Anonus said:

Also,

DreamWorks has been pretty much desperate for Turbo to be a franchise. They put a TV series, Turbo F.A.S.T., on the slate and sold the broadcast rights to it around the world (it will be on Netflix in the U.S.) before the movie even came out!
    I was talking about Smurfs, and how apparently there is a Smurfs 3 in the works, and even with international sales, Smurfs 2 has only done about 50% over it's production budget.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Apparently the Smurfs movies where always set to be a trilogy, so I'm guessing Smurfs 3 was in the works well before anyone knew how well Smurfs 2 would do.
    (2015 self)
    I used to be an honor roll student.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

In the long run, being an honor roll student isn't exactly going to help much.

It MAY help get a college scholarship and good grades can mean some of your tuition is payed for by the school, but it's not exactly going to come into play once one is in the working world.
  • i'm finally listening to the one Olan Mill album i havent heard yet and how the fuck do they keep doing it. every olan mill song is so amazing. it's romantic and gorgeous and wonderful and beautiful and hopeful and it isn't trying to be any of those things. it's no more trying to be them than a rose or a tree tries to be them. it just is. god i love olan mill
    (2015 self)
    I once nearly got banned from Tor.com.
    (2015 self)
    Calling the one and only Leigh Butler "my favorite bigot".
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Naney seems to be absent.

Being the neurotic doofus that I am, this worries me a little bit.
    Aww... :<
  • naney will appear if you go up to a mirror and recite the lyrics of 'The Throne of Agony' three times