The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• edited 2013-04-28 03:40:39
    The sadness will last forever.
  • the stream I keep talking about has now turned into a podcast because JSmithOTI fell asleep at his keyboard while they were playing Counter Strike.

this is after a stream war with Cryaotic.

• the viewer count keeps climbing there are currently 2,000 people watching a man sleep

at this point they're just chatting with each other

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Naney said:

Tre said:

Being withing a 50 meter radius of a Walmart takes a toll on one's mood.

ftfy
    You didn't go far enough.
  • Is it bad that I always say "Shredni Vashtar" in my head

Because I feel like that H shouldn't be there but it makes your name sound like a kickass rock band
    Tre said:

Is it bad that I always say "Shredni Vashtar" in my head

Because I feel like that H shouldn't be there but it makes your name sound like a kickass rock band

In Sanskrit, that would probably be very close to the proper pronunciation, although it is strictly speaking nonsense.

You really should read the original story, though. It's amazing. Here's a link.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Tre said:

You really should read pretty much anything Saki wrote, though. It's amazing. Here's a link.

FTFY
    Odradek said:

Tre said:

You really should read pretty much anything Saki wrote, though. It's amazing. Here's a link.

FTFY
    Yeah, this too.

Speaking of writers: Odradek, I know that you and Ligotti do not see eye to eye on philosophical stuff, but you should read "The Town Manager" at the very least. I think that you would find it very funny.

Odradek said:

Tre said:

FTFY
    Yeah, this too.

Speaking of writers: Odradek, I know that you and Ligotti do not see eye to eye on philosophical stuff, but you should read "The Town Manager" at the very least. I think that you would find it very funny.
    I actually have, and it is my favorite story by him that I have read.
    Cool. What else have you read by him? What did you like and dislike?

(Being the rabid fanboy that I am, this feels like a good opportunity to make suggestions.)

(Being the rabid fanboy that I am, this feels like a good opportunity to make suggestions.)
    I actually don't remember much beyond the Town Manager. Liked the one about the clown puppet and the one with the Quine corporation. Thought the one where the character's father was some kind of mad scientist was just a bit odd and I didn't quite understand it. That one experimental one he did called, I think, "Notes on the writing of Horror" was decent. Didn't like the one with the spider person. "Spectacles in a drawer" I think it was called, had a good premise but didn't really live up to it. Didn't finish the one about the artist who sculpted some eldritch horror or something.

As far as the New Weird goes, I have read quite a lot of Laird Barron and China Mielville. Laird Barron's stories, "The Procession of the Black Sloth" and "Shiva, Open Your Eye" are some of my favorite horror stories of all time.
  • (*Naps on thread*)

I actually don't remember much beyond the Town Manager. Liked the one about the clown puppet and the one with the Quine corporation. Thought the one where the character's father was some kind of mad scientist was just a bit odd and I didn't quite understand it. That one experimental one he did called, I think, "Notes on the writing of Horror" was decent. Didn't like the one with the spider person. "Spectacles in a drawer" I think it was called, had a good premise but didn't really live up to it. Didn't finish the one about the artist who sculpted some eldritch horror or something.

As far as the New Weird goes, I have read quite a lot of Laird Barron and China Mielville. Laird Barron's stories, "The Procession of the Black Sloth" and "Shiva, Open Your Eye" are some of my favorite horror stories of all time.
    "Purity" is indeed puzzling. It's grown on me a lot since I first read it, but I still don't think that I completely get the joke. It's clearly a riff on how eliminating the distinctions between certain abstractions can make things disturbing, but the whole thing just felt a bit random. Not bad, really, but definitely confusing.

You may be confusing "The Spectacles in the Drawer" with another one—maybe "Conversations in a Dead Language"? I can't be sure. All I can say is that the former is about disillusionment and hypnosis and the latter is about a horribly lonely postman. Both are... kind of sad and horrible at the same time.

"Notes On The Writing Of Horror" is pretty boss, but I honestly prefer several of the other abstract stories in Songs of a Dead Dreamer to it. "The Greater Festival Of Masks" is particularly unsettling, and "Vastarien" is just breathtakingly beautiful in places. As for sardonic whimsy, "The Chymist" is pretty nifty.

Really, I think that you would most enjoy My Work Is Not Yet Done. The title story initially comes off as this psychotic wish fulfilment thing, but it quickly becomes incredibly twisted and really amusing. The latter two stories are even more surreal. The middle one is probably my favourite, although I didn't actually "get it" until the second time that I read it; in any case, the opening paragraphs to that one are utterly hilarious.

You would also probably really like Teatro Grottesco overall; several of the ones that you singled out positively are there, and it's overall probably his wittiest outing.

My favourite collection of his is probably Grimscribe, though. While not so Nabakovian as Songs, it's probably his most linguistically ornate. Sometimes this works to his disadvantage, but usually it proves opposite. Noctuary is similar, although I prefer the vignettes at the end to the short stories there for the most part; in the new edition, it closes with "Ten Steps to Thin Mountain", which is basically perfect.

</squee>

I need to read some Laird Barron. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about him.

yet another example of why gravity falls is the best thing on TV right now
    This version is funnier than the original.
  • that webcomic is just not all that funny in general
  • My brother is playing ICP songs.

new cassetterecorder

yusssssssssssssssssssssssss~ ^w^
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    B-B-B-B4U
    Our target is Europe!
    You have fans too, Chargeman Ken
    Naney said:

new cassetterecorder

I need to buy some blank cassettes, or at least find where I put the ones I got last year...
    I must kill big brother!

Caron! What's wrong with you?!
    Cm'ooon, show me your Charging Go
    O-okay.... yooo
    You think I'm an idiot? You're made of better stuff than that.

Wow, I just realized this dialogue sounds pretty homoerotic out of context.
  • is Odradek here.

Naney said:

new cassetterecorder

I need to buy some blank cassettes, or at least find where I put the ones I got last year...
    I found my old tape recorder and Yello's debut album on cassette yesterday.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm awakeperson now

Looks like it's supposed to rain all afternoon, so no park for me. :\
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Dear MARTA,

Thank you for not running the bus route I need to get anywhere on Sundays. I just made plans to meet with a friend and then almost immediately had to call them off when I checked the schedule for my route and saw it was blank. This makes me feel like such an awesome friend. :|

Yours sincerely,
    Gator
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit

Dear MARTA,

Thank you for not running the bus route I need to get anywhere on Sundays. I just made plans to meet with a friend and then almost immediately had to call them off when I checked the schedule for my route and saw it was blank. This makes me feel like such an awesome friend. :|

Yours sincerely,
    Gator

Man, don't even worry about it

I mean, plans get cancelled, it happens, just meet up with him some other time.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Her. And it's more frustrating to me than it normally would be because thus far, this has only been the second time this semester anyone's been able to let me visit when I've asked.

But thanks.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    *princesshugs for the Gator, if he's ok with that*
    So in Ohio, texting while driving is a primary offense for people under 18 (meaning they can be pulled over for that alone), but a secondary offense for those 18 and older (meaning they can be fined for it, but only if they're pulled over for something else first).

But what I don't understand is

How is a cop supposed to know a driver's age before they pull them over?
    Rejected spambot name: OPGFletch 
  • and it's like

bad cop

good cop

pushinoutthatproductthatyou

should cop

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Man

I just keep sending adventurer after adventurer into that blasted dungeon trying to get a crummy orb

So much death, so much destruction, because i'm bored on Sunday

Man

I just keep sending adventurer after adventurer into that blasted dungeon trying to get a crummy orb

So much death, so much destruction, because i'm bored on Sunday
    yesquote
  • I hate Sundays.

I also hate Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, and Saturdays make me uncomfortable because they're close to Sunday.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I wonder why I even want to buy more over-the-air TV stations

OTA TV has had a hard time in recent years, and I have a feeling that the major networks (like ABC!) intend to ditch it entirely and leave it to fend for itself.

Though I'd wanted to operate the network's owned-and-operated stations as if they were newspapers; local TV news is kind of a wasteland these days and I'd wanted to find ways to make the stations matter to their communities more...then again I want to buy actual newspapers, so...
  • My last post should give a very good glimpse into why I'm so irritable and anxious all the time.
  • if anyone cares about gaming, the devs of FTL, Thomas Was Alone, I think Super Cratebox, some dude from Mojang (it's not Notch), and somebody from Polygon Games are in this stream right now.

earlier they were reading the scripts from Pulp Fiction and Star Wars.

Kexruct said:

I hate Sundays.

I also hate Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, and Saturdays make me uncomfortable because they're close to Sunday.
    You know what that leaves, right?

BlairMcle? BlairMcIe?
  • Kexruct said:

I hate Sundays.

You know what that leaves, right?

Rebecca Black>Sundays
  • the university library smells really strongly of weed tonight for some reason

• well the reasons are probably fairly obvious but if someone actually toked up in here and got away with it then that is impressive considering how busy it is this time in the term
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Wheatley said:

LORD OF THE FLIES

This amused me for some reason.

YNTKT
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    AND IT SHALL PAGE TOP TWICE.
  • i have internet which i can actually download things off now

time to download lots of free dub techno off bandcamp

I keep meaning to grab some of the Homestuck albums

I wish they'd let you get individual tracks...