The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• The sadness will last forever.
  • So I dreamt I was in a huge, labyrinthine high school with a layout that made no sense. There was one staircase that seemed to go to nowhere, unless you walked all the way to its dead end then turned around, at which point another landing appeared that you had to backtrack to.

It was like the American version of Hogwarts or something.

^ See you later, Imi.
    Bet you it was Harley High. Tre Listman and the Crew go there. :P
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-04-04 15:52:46
    Roger Ebert is dead, according to the Chicago Sun-Times and AP.

Can't say it wasn't expected or anything, but damn. I didn't always agree with him but he was a great writer and had a huge influence. RIP.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    :(

There goes one of America's greatest film critics...
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Oh my god. :(
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Roger Ebert was smart. Now he is among the dead. Rest peacefully. :)
  • fuck cancer

first iain banks and now this

• Resurrect ROger Eberts Mindstate
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Roger Ebert had a fair-sized influence on the way I think too. I still read him semi-regularly up until the end. He will be missed.
  • Seriously? I saw something about it, but I thought it was a bad April Fools joke.

Ah, yeah, the NYT confirms it.

Well, there goes another one. We're going to miss him.
  • in memoriam

(In regards to Revenge of the Sith) To say that George Lucas cannot write a love scene is an understatement; greeting cards have expressed more passion.

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    lol
  • Dude was full of quality zingers.
  • KJIKJI
    Yeah... yeah!!! hell yeah!!!
    ripbert
    I notice Photobucket has resorted to redirecting direct image links to the image's page, presumably so they can show ads against it.

Makes me wonder how Imgur manages to make any money, seeing as how they all but encourage people to use direct image links instead of page links.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Imgur has a store and a Pro version, so there's that.
  • man what is it with white people not being able to tell non-white people apart?

I MEAN

???????
  • oh wait now the openly racist tweets

gah

still the best thing
  • edited 2013-04-04 19:03:06
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Naney said:

man what is it with white people not being able to tell non-white people apart?

I MEAN

???????
    Well um... they both have black hair! Oh, and they both have two eyes, and two ears. It's an easy mistake to make, you see.
  • KJIKJI
    The only thing that really tarnished his career was his ignorant views on the artistic merit of video games.

The only thing that really tarnished his career was his ignorant views on the artistic merit of video games.

Hold on let me post that again

• KJIKJI
    GETITIN MAD AT PPEOPLE ON THE INTENRERNET
  • His views on video games were whack, but like who cares really?
  • Caring about Ebert's views on videogames is like asking a politician about how to unclog a toilet. Sure, there's some similarities between who they are and what you're asking about, but in the end, it's an entirely different thing.

#haha #makingfunofpoliticians #whatfun #godwhyamisopathetic
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Naney said:

man what is it with white people not being able to tell non-white people apart?

I MEAN

???????
    You know

I had to look at the picture on the bottom on its own to recognize him as Cesar Chávez >_>
  • edited 2013-04-04 19:15:06

i would not recognize either of them on sight, but i can tell that they are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PEOPLE

god
  • KJIKJI
    He was almost-half-right though.

Wasn't he sent Bioshock, Braid, and Flower? Braid is garbage and Bioshock is way less clever than the people who made it think it is. The vast majority of videogamers say that games like that are art. In fact, thatgamecompany's games, Shadow of the Colossus, and Miami Hotline are the only games that have really, truly touched me on an emotional level and made me feel like I was experiencing something impossible to experience in any other medium. Maybe that's just because I haven't played many games. But I haven't because I haven't thought that many games were worth playing. Was Roger Ebert right? No. But he wasn't wrong.

Many people say David Cage is a genius; he is a bullshit con artist of the highest order, and the game industry's concurrent embrace of him and the idea of making games as cinematic as possible to be more Art just goes to show that the medium, as a whole, still has a long ways to go to be truly respectable as an art form. Games should not be cinematic. It presents the same problem that films faced in their infancy, that they were just short plays because people had no idea how to embrace the technology and use it to its fullest extent. The games that do that are art. The fact that so many people are trashing a man who brought so much greatness into the world just because he said something kinda dumb once is disheartening. 

Sorry for the rant, shall resume Not Posting ® immediately 
  • KJIKJI
    Also it's not necessarily racism just generally stupidity because people think Chavez = Chavez which is still racist, I guess
  • KJI said:

He was almost-half-right though.

Wasn't he sent Bioshock, Braid, and Flower? Braid is garbage and Bioshock is way less clever than the people who made it think it is. The vast majority of videogamers say that games like that are art. In fact, thatgamecompany's games, Shadow of the Colossus, and Miami Hotline are the only games that have really, truly touched me on an emotional level and made me feel like I was experiencing something impossible to experience in any other medium. Maybe that's just because I haven't played many games. But I haven't because I haven't thought that many games were worth playing. Was Roger Ebert right? No. But he wasn't wrong.

Many people say David Cage is a genius; he is a bullshit con artist of the highest order, and the game industry's concurrent embrace of him and the idea of making games as cinematic as possible to be more Art just goes to show that the medium, as a whole, still has a long ways to go to be truly respectable as an art form. Games should not be cinematic. It presents the same problem that films faced in their infancy, that they were just short plays because people had no idea how to embrace the technology and use it to its fullest extent. The games that do that are art. The fact that so many people are trashing a man who brought so much greatness into the world just because he said something kinda dumb once is disheartening. 

Sorry for the rant, shall resume Not Posting ® immediately 

I don't have anything to add to this except that I'm glad that someone else found Braid insufferably stupid, regardless of whether these are your actual views or are copypasted from somewhere.

Anyway, RIP Roger Ebert. Good critics are a rarity, and the world has lost one of a few.

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    What?!!
    Roger Ebert is dead?
    <({:(

Anyways, um, administrators, I can only access the first thread on each tag page, like General, General Media, Thistagisalwaysapplicable, etc.  And, on the all discussins page, I can't access any of the threads.
  • I'm not much of a film buff, but if Roger Ebert said this

“Rap has a bad reputation in white circles, where many people believe it consists of obscene and violent anti-white and anti-female guttural. Some of it does. Most does not. Most white listeners don’t care; they hear black voices in a litany of discontent, and tune out. Yet rap plays the same role today as Bob Dylan did in 1960, giving voice to the hopes and angers of a generation, and a lot of rap is powerful writing.”

I certainly think he must've been an intelligent man.

Anyways, um, administrators, I can only access the first thread on each tag page, like General, General Media, Thistagisalwaysapplicable, etc. And, on the all discussins page, I can't access any of the threads.

Aliroz, you should post that in the Bug Report thread, so it doesn't get buried under conversation.

Post it in the bug thread

It would alert Lee more easily
  • edited 2013-04-04 20:39:25
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    America must have the most retarded public that ever lived.
    (2015 self)
    I can't access administrivia.

ATCually, I'm the only stupid person in America, and I make up all the stupid things on the internet to bother you intellectuals for not letting me win arguments.

Now, let me win an argument for once or I'll continue to write youtube comments!

Fine you win your dumb internet argument. :o
    There is a difference between not being an intellectual and being anti-intellectual like lots of Americans are. :)
  • Honestly I find that the only people who use the term "anti-intellectual" on a frequent basis don't tend to be very intellectual themselves.
    Anti-intellectual means people who actively discourage free thought. :)
  • edited 2013-04-04 20:52:36
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Arguments don't work that way.  Just because you say I win doesn't make it so.

Gosh, smart people are so dumb.

You don't know anything about how it even works.

Anyways, about me being anti-intellectual.

I'm not anti-intellectual; I just don't like it when intelligent people use their intelligence to lord over others.  Being bigger and stronger doesn't give you the right to shove the weak and puny people around; being clever and intelligent does not give you the right to shove the foolish and dumb people around.  I want intellectuals to be treated as equals; in return for being treated as an equal; I don't want to belittle the smart people; I just don't want them to belittle me.
    *belittles Aliroz with superior thought*
    (2015 self)
    Awwww, darn it!
    Can't access Administrivia?
    Try our new Admin Access™ helmet!
  • edited 2013-04-04 20:58:17
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Nope.

None of the buttons in the "categories" tray work.  And I can't access the top half of the page on the All Discussions page.

^ It doesn't fit!