The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Corporal Forsythe said:They finally started to do things right when they got around to Tenga Toppa whatever-the-fuck Lagann
    Only took them 25 years to do so 

I liked
    FLCL a lot, thank you very much...
  • edited 2013-02-27 17:31:07
    We can do anything if we do it together.

re: Gainax -

I think this is a pretty cool animation. I also agree with what Srendi just said about FLCL.
  • FLCL is pretty rad yeah
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Speaking of TTGL you know who we need in here?

Guitar Bizarre and Raw Power.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

Naney said:

overblown symbolic imagery and bleak endings.

if by "bleak" you mean "wait, woah, what the fuck is this? Really? Are you fucking kidding me? ....I get it, the real ending is after the credits, right?" then yes you'll love it 
  • really corporal i think you don't like it because you are a hipster that does not like popular things
  • all i know is that everyone dies or like ascends to a higher plane of existence or something and then they have a random thing with everyone saying CONGRATULATIONS
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Ok, so, as far as I can tell, there are three other outlets that can trip the GFCI on the basement outlet: the two outdoor outlets, which have nothing plugged into them, and the outset in the garage, which usually has a freezer plugged in.

I unplugged the freezer, reset the basement outlet, and plugged the power strip in again. And it still tripped it. :\

But earlier this winter I was, in fact, running a small space heater, so what Corporal Forsythe said about the outlet being damaged is probably the culprit. >_<

At least I know not to run the heater on that outlet anymore, now.

Naney said:

overblown symbolic imagery and bleak endings.

if by "bleak" you mean "wait, woah, what the fuck is this? Really? Are you fucking kidding me? ....I get it, the real ending is after the credits, right?" then yes you'll love it 
    I'm talking about the film, not the last two episodes. Given the intent of said film, I'd say that it's pretty astoundingly bleak, on several levels.

The series ending sounds a little... forced? Good idea, I think, but done in a really wonky way because of budget problems, scrapped scripts and Anno being really, really depressed.
    Naney said:

all i know is that everyone dies or like ascends to a higher plane of existence or something and then they have a random thing with everyone saying CONGRATULATIONS

...and the film ends with everyone dying horribly except the main character, whose own conscience drives him insane over his own terrible decisions and personality. Then he restarts the world because he wants everyone to be as miserable as him. He also strangles the same girl twice.
  • good going dude.
    Naney said:

really corporal i think you don't like it because you are a hipster that does not like popular things

You should have been around whenever Evangelion came out on TV (in Japan.) For fans worldwide, this was peak anime. Fans honestly thought that this show was the by-fans, for-fans love letter from the director Hideaki Anno -- and not the "fuck you" that it turned out to be. Everything about the show was deliberate in this regard, from the explosive beginning to the SO DEEP addition of superficial Judeo-Christian elements to the Filmation-standard movie that ended it. "Fly Me To the Moon" was released separately and more times than anyone cares to count and fans purchased this. The merchandising at that time was unprecedented and made Gundam look like no big deal. The entire show was a cash grab and nothing more and it did this job nicely.

Me, I've only seen the first five minutes of the fandub that Roddy McDowell produced right before he died. That's really enough for me. 
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
  • i don't see how a fandub cannot be a terrible thing

I'm talking about the film, not the last two episodes. Given the intent of said film, I'd say that it's pretty astoundingly bleak, on several levels.

The series ending sounds a little... forced? Good idea, I think, but done in a really wonky way because of budget problems, scrapped scripts and Anno being really, really depressed.
    The only thing that I can find comparable to fan reaction to Eva's ending (either the TV series or the movie) was the few weeks after the release of Star Wars Episode 1.  Everyone was convinced that what they saw was brilliant, and they need to go back and watch it again to make sure because somehow they missed what made it brilliant. It was only later that everyone realized what a gigantic turd either of these things actually were.  
  • that movie ending sounds pretty great actually, i might have to watch the thing.
    Naney said:

i don't see how a fandub cannot be a terrible thing

The ones produced by Roddy McDowell weren't

keep in mind that not only was he Dr. Zaius, he was skilled and experienced cartoon voice actor 
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, Evangelion was pretty good for the first, oh, 20 episodes, and then the meds wear off and it curls up into a sobbing heap.
  • lee4hmz said:

and then the meds wear off and it curls up into a sobbing heap.

it's like you people are making me really want to watch it
    Naney said:

good going dude.

Yeah, the main character is the fanboys' audience surrogate. He also masturbates over the aforementioned girl's comatose body in the first scene. Let that sink in.

Anno had a lot of rage about how fans reacted to the original ending. I think that he genuinely wanted to tell an uplifting story with what little he had, but the fact that he got so personal with it and had such a thin budget only pissed off the hardcore otaku that just wanted huge robots and fanservice. They even sent him death threats. Real ones, not pansy ones. So, when the money came in to make a movie, he snapped. Since the fans were irredeemably awful, he would take the redemption he gave to their surrogate away in the most over-the-top, operatic, bizarre way possible.

That is fucking hardcore.
  • Naney said:

good going dude.

Yeah, the main character is the fanboys' audience surrogate. He also masturbates over the aforementioned girl's comatose body in the first scene. Let that sink in.

Anno had a lot of rage about how fans reacted to the original ending. I think that he genuinely wanted to tell an uplifting story with what little he had, but the fact that he got so personal with it and had such a thin budget only pissed off the hardcore otaku that just wanted huge robots and fanservice. They even sent him death threats. Real ones, not pansy ones. So, when the money came in to make a movie, he snapped. Since the fans were irredeemably awful, he would take the redemption he gave to their surrogate away in the most over-the-top, operatic, bizarre way possible.

I....

Yes

This is the truth, and I don't blame Anno one fucking bit for what he did. The fan reaction at the time was just insane. The day Eva hit was like the second coming to the anime fandom, I'm not even kidding. 
    For a long time, I avoided watching Neon Genesis Evangelion like the plague due to the fanbase and the creeping suspicion that it was just made of pretension. Having recently found out about what happens in the movie and the context that it puts the show in, I think that I have to. Even if it is horribly pretentious, that is a genius ending.
    One thing is for sure,  folks who started as a fan of the show from the very first air date aren't that way today. Quite the opposite, actually. 

Anyway I've heard enough about the show that I never want to watch it. It's much more exciting and a satisfying view that way. 
    I've heard that the Rebuild films are a much better watch, but they have a completely different tone and go in a completely different direction; the original is more interesting because of context than because of content.

Which means that you're probably making a safe choice.
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-02-27 18:02:44

Anyway I've heard enough about the show that I never want to watch it. It's much more exciting and a satisfying view that way. 
    Same here. I think it's fine by me that I haven't seen it, and I have no desire to because I feel like I won't be satisfied thanks to all the enigma the show has (in no small part due to my time at TV Tropes, wher the franchise is revered to the point where there is almost no trope in existence not containing an example from NGE).

Well, that, and I don't really want to see a guy fap to a girl in a coma. Tarantino already topped it in Kill Bill, so there's no point.

• on today's episode of great text posts

Breaking news: All paintings held in the Louvre have mysteriously disappeared! The only evidence of the theft is a slip of paper that reads “before you say i am stoling this art let me explain you a thing”
  • edited 2013-02-27 18:26:57

Heh, all this time after watching deconstructionist anime like Utena and Madoka Magica, I keep thinking "I still haven't watched Eva yet, maaaaaaybe I should," and then I keep seeing stuff about it that makes me go "Naaaah."
    SF_Sorrow said:

Heh, all this time after watching decontructionist anime like Utena and Madoka Magica, I keep thinking "I still haven't watched Eva yet, maaaaaaybe I should," and then I keep seeing stuff about it that makes me go "Naaaah."

That's pretty much the same with me, actually. To me, FLCL seems to have said basically what EVA was trying to say, but in a more concise, less annoying form.
    SF_Sorrow said:

Heh, all this time after watching decontructionist anime like Utena and Madoka Magica, I keep thinking "I still haven't watched Eva yet, maaaaaaybe I should," and then I keep seeing stuff about it that makes me go "Naaaah."

Well, the cat's been out of the bag for over 15 years now so there's no more chance of "crushing disappointment" unlike the folks who hung on to the show every week for months leading up to the end. 
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I want Anony
  • KJIKJI
    Yeah... yeah!!! hell yeah!!!
    The title resembles the brand name of a mood-stabilizing drug, which might explain the shift from minor to major halfway through; perhaps the frogs denote side effects?
  • edited 2013-02-27 18:16:09
    Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Speaking of throwbacks, Marmalade Boy is getting a sequel

and yes, it's set 13 years later 

teen dramas carried on into the adult years are always good for some (more) crushing disappointment 
  • Welp 

The Needle Drop did a review of Clipping.'s midcity

I guess that means I got into them... (*dons thick-rimmed glasses and grabs a Frappuccino*)

...Before they were popular.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I hate anything that has an audience surrogate

overstatement, but just barely
    Naney said:

Welp 

The Needle Drop did a review of Clipping.'s midcity

I guess that means I got into them... (*dons thick-rimmed glasses and grabs a Frappuccino*)

...Before they were popular.
    Feel the cred, bro.

Feels good, doesn't it?
  • ...I just realized mun2's name is a pun on the name "Telemundo".

mun2. Mundos.

Telemundo and mun2 are owned by the same company. Pffft.
  • yeah, feels good

i found out about them from Renard

yntkt

yay Bee & Puppycat

they say they'll have color art from the show soon :3
    SF_Sorrow said:

That's pretty much the same with me, actually. To me, FLCL seems to have said basically what EVA was trying to say, but in a more concise, less annoying form.
    And the director of that series is the director of the Rebuild movies. Fun facts.

But anyway, I think you're right. Yet this is exactly why I want to see End of Evangelion: The meaning is entirely transformed by the revised conclusion.

I really need to see Revolutionary Girl Utena. It looks like something that my analysis-obsessed mind would latch onto like some evil leech from space.
    Naney said:

yeah, feels good

i found out about them from Renard

yntkt
    Heh. Useful information.
    Tre said:

using 05L screentone dot size crew represent
    I really do need to read Scott Pilgrim.
  • The sooner the better.
    I have a friend that has the whole set, and he still has a rare book of mine, so I might call in a favour...
    Yes, you do. I really appreciate O'Malley's sense of naturalism that gets embedded within all the fantastical elements, although it's harder to perceive in the film than it is in the books.