The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Good night Mojave, I hope you feel better soon.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    ran ru

at first you are like man these fake tweets are hilarious

but then they are real

and it's like

how

is the GOP on like a mission to find the most amusing ways to shoot themselves in the feet?

though really this is less "shooting yourself in the foot" than "that one scene in Audition"
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    what the fuck is wrong with these people
    opah
    zai jian
  • Unexpected two free periods due to snow.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Sweet!

They keep not closing the public schools around here when it snows. I wouldn't care, being an "adult" and all, but when I have to pick up my brother in weather like we had yesterday it's somewhat annoying.
  • edited 2013-02-05 05:01:05
    ಠ_ಠ

My school never closes, except for when the snow is up to people's knees. It's because if they close the school, they have to pay back a day's fees.

Seriously, the fricking apocalypse would not close my school. They would close just long enough for the fire balls to stop falling and then reopen and resume lessons.

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    That's the good thing about government schools*: since they're funded through taxes, they already have my money to waste how they like! ^_^

Wait...

* We call them "public schools", but IIRC that means something entirely different in the UK...
  • edited 2013-02-05 05:10:46
    ಠ_ಠ

Public school here means, ironically, a private school where you pay fees.

Fees here are expensive. Approx. £10,000 a year, excluding book and lunch fees. Dad works at my school, so he get's a 75% discount on the fees, but not the book and lunch fees.

Oh, wow. @_@

You know, my current re-read of Matilda makes me wish I understood more about the British school system.

It seems like some things are just a matter of terminology ("form" = "grade"; "headmaster" = "principal", etc.), but then there's other things...for instance, when I read Gunnerkrigg Court all the references to "houses" went so far over my head you could see them on Google Earth.

Oh, wow. @_@

You know, my current re-read of Matilda makes me wish I understood more about the British school system.

It seems like some things are just a matter of terminology ("form" = "grade"; "headmaster" = "principal", etc.), but then there's other things...for instance, when I read Gunnerkrigg Court all the references to "houses" went so far over my head you could see them on Google Earth.
    Actually, form doesn't mean grade in state schools. Its year = grade IIRC.

Form is a sub-group of the Year group.
    Now I'm even more confused than I was 5 minutes ago.

Now I'm even more confused than I was 5 minutes ago.

Well, form groups when I was at school were only really used for stuff like registry purposes,sport days, fire alarm drills as the year group were divided into sets for subjects 
  • edited 2013-02-05 05:24:56
    ಠ_ಠ

Easy way to remember: British year/form = American grade -1

I think... 

We call year groups "forms". Like First Form is Y7.

Tools said:

Easy way to remember: British year/form = American grade -1

I think... 

We call year groups "forms". Like First Form is Y7.

Well thats confusing because we called first years "Y7"
    ...alright, let's see if I can explain this in a way that makes sense.

To me, "grade" is the level of schooling, i.e., 4th grade, 8th, grade, etc.

The collective group of all the students in a particular grade at the same time would be a "class", referred to either by grade ("the 8th grade class") or, in contexts that span over more than one year, by the year of graduation ("the class of 2017").

...how does that translate to Actual English?
  • First Form = First year

They both equal Y7.

...alright, let's see if I can explain this in a way that makes sense.

To me, "grade" is the level of schooling, i.e., 4th grade, 8th, grade, etc.

The collective group of all the students in a particular grade at the same time would be a "class", referred to either by grade ("the 8th grade class") or, in contexts that span over more than one year, by the year of graduation ("the class of 2017").

...how does that translate to Actual English?
    It would depend on a lot of things

For example, I am apart of the Walney School year of 2004 but there were 6 forms in that year group. So therefore I would be in the "A" form group of that year.
    my mom wants me to relearn chinese because it's my ancestors language and there's jobs but the writing kinda scares me off...i'm not good at writing chinese...
  • edited 2013-02-05 05:41:52
    (flower path)
    I actually remember reading an article about how a lot of younger Chinese, while perfectly able to read Chinese, have trouble writing it or even remembering the symbols corresponding to a word, because they're so used to working on IME systems for entering the characters on a computer and the like.
    that's pretty interesting.
  • Lunchtime.

No appetite, as usual.

• Is it weird that I want to be as creepy as possible and creep people out?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Tools said:

Is it weird that I want to be as creepy as possible and creep people out?

I went through that phase, I think.
  • on one hand, i am home sick and i feel like utter crap

on the other, i am wearing my new jammies and they are totes perf like you have no idea
    Naney said:

hmmmmm
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    SHOCKING REALIZATION:

Animaniacs and FiM both have a character named some variant of Pinky. I seriously only realized this right this moment.
    OK then Ace.

OK then Ace.

hmm?
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I want to write a book where a film noir private investigator ends up missing the slummy, scummy, corrupt-as-all-heck city when he goes to a suburban area.  He can't understand why not everybody wears nice hats.  He hates cars and misses the wider sidewalks; he thinks that parking lots are a real estate conspiracy by the automotive industry; investigates the case of why people aren't using trains, trams, trolleys, or subways anymore; and tries to find what diabolical mastermind is behind the horror known as suburban sprawl.  Also, he vows to track down whatever slimebag is behind all of these "no smoking" rules and what sleazebag is behind metal detectors and places where you can't bring a gun.

In the end, he succeeds and turns a pleasant sprawling suburban community into a crime-ridden, overcrowded, cramped, polluted, corrupt, unsafe/exciting/fun miniature city.

And he calls it... Detroit!
    WHAT A TWIST
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Which half?

Which half?

England and Wales

The Scots are going to have their vote soon but I don't know the (Northern) Irish.
  • So I Googled "There Might Be Coffee" and it suggested that I look for lyrics.

Lyrics. To the instrumental song above.

Failure.
  • edited 2013-02-05 14:54:09

Med School

also tre you should like listen to this
    birdo
    hugs are nice
    hugs not in addition to drugs
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Which half?

England and Wales

The Scots are going to have their vote soon but I don't know the (Northern) Irish.
    So, basically everybody but those DUP jackasses...

Still, kudos to England and Wales.

Which half?

England and Wales

So, basically everybody but those DUP jackasses...

Still, kudos to England and Wales.
    Northern Ireland is like the Deep South of the UK -shrug-