The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• The sadness will last forever.
    cake dance
    seer
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i found that page to be unfun, that's all i'm saying.

Maybe i should paint it pink and play elevator music at it.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Hockey? My uncle used to play ice hockey. I'm not sure if he still does...I know he had to take some time away from it a couple years back, due to his heart condition, but I don't know if he's gone back to it.

Also I have a headache and I'm not sure why.
    table
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Since when does elevator music make things less unfun?
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Mojave,

Did you use to play ice hockey or grass hockey?
  • Mojave,

Did you use to play ice hockey or grass hockey?

neither

blacktop.

Street hockey, breh.

kank kill

hank hill
    Elevator music doesn't make things fun, but is employed by the Happiness Patrol as an antidote to the sounds of killjoys, e.g. the blues.
    oh cool.
  • our team was called The Lightnings.

Yes, "Lightnings" in plural.

It was in middle school and at my catholic school we were required to join at least one club a year. I tried street hockey in 7th grade before switching to chess club. Which I also sucked at, but which hurt far less, and also lacked the stigma of being a "girl sport".

Before the street hockey thing I'd been in the draughts club in 5th and 6th, but it disbanded.

I was in a chess club in elementary school for about two days

You needed to know this
    sandra bullock
  • And in case anyone is curious (you're not, but too bad), draughts is basically an old form of checkers. It was run as part of some cultural heritage program but we mostly just screwed around and did nothing.
    i was in chess club at primary school for a few months, but spent most of that time watching other people play.
  • In high school I was part of the Pi Club during its brief existence.

It was not about the number but rather a completely ridiculous game of the same name that I can best describe as eight player chess played on a checkered racetrack.

Unfortunately it was disbanded for being "frivolous", and I was not a part of any other clubs during high school. I tried to get a MtG club going but we weren't allowed to make it.

i know very little about draughts, but i know of the game.  i thought it was just the British name for checkers, TBH.

How do the two games differ?

In high school I was part of the Pi Club during its brief existence.

It was not about the number but rather a completely ridiculous game of the same name that I can best describe as eight player chess played on a checkered racetrack.

Unfortunately it was disbanded for being "frivolous", and I was not a part of any other clubs during high school. I tried to get a MtG club going but we weren't allowed to make it.

Lameness.

Did the school have a problem with newer games, then?
  • Some very minor rules differences and the color of the non-black draught.
    a8 said:

In high school I was part of the Pi Club during its brief existence.

Lameness.

Did the school have a problem with newer games, then?
    You could say that. We were fed some line about gambling but honestly our principal was a kook, so I have no idea what her reasoning was for shutting us down.

our team was called The Lightnings.

It was in middle school and at my catholic school we were required to join at least one club a year. I tried street hockey in 7th grade before switching to chess club. Which I also sucked at, but which hurt far less, and also lacked the stigma of being a "girl sport".

Before the street hockey thing I'd been in the draughts club in 5th and 6th, but it disbanded.

Why would street hockey be a girl sport?
  • our team was called The Lightnings.

Why would street hockey be a girl sport?

It just traditionally is.

Even the street hockey team at my high school was all female for three of the four years I was there. And when it wasn't they only had one male player.

Our teachers didn't take kindly to Pokémon cards.

There was an incident where a teacher tore a rare imported card in half.

Allegedly, anyway.  i heard about this second-hand.
  • a8 said:

Our teachers didn't take kindly to Pokémon cards.

There was an incident where a teacher tore a rare imported card in half.

Allegedly, anyway.  i heard about this second-hand.

All of our school's activities were controlled by the Palmerton Area School Board.

Their meetings were open to the public and I sat it on one once.

One of the members actually suggested, in complete, total, honest sincereness, that wearing black clothing be banned in school, because it was the color of Satan, and she felt it was contributing to our school's massive drug problem.

@Mojave, I see

@a8, my school was probably happy with the invention of pokemans because it meant on wet dinners (which happened alot), we weren't causing trouble.
  • Also I went to a tiny Ukranian Orthodox Christian School for 2nd-4th grade. Those were good times in retrospect.

Well...not 2nd so much. But 3rd and 4th. Sadly the school closed down due to a lack of funding, which was announced in the middle of 4th grade, prompting our teacher to leave.

We were left with a substitute and no curriculum for the last three months of school. The level of screw-aroundery was epic.

I'm in bed with my laptop

I might start doing this more often
  • I'm in bed with my laptop

I might start doing this more often

I am almost always in bed when I'm on my laptop. 

Our school was pretty relaxed on most things, save for a weird compulsion to ban anything that became too popular.

i actually went to two primary schools.  The other one was a much smaller C of E school, which didn't ban anything that i can recall.  The discipline there was shit and bullying happened a lot.
  • a8 said:

Our school was pretty relaxed on most things, save for a weird compulsion to ban anything that became too popular.

i actually went to two primary schools.  The other one was a much smaller C of E school, which didn't ban anything that i can recall.  The discipline there was shit and bullying happened a lot.

Discipline in small schools tends to be a joke.

Once, in Catholic School, in 8th grade, a (soon to be former) friend of mine stepped on my foot, and I screamed at him. Prompting him to punch me in the face. Guess which one of us got in more trouble?

Surely not you for screaming?

Because if so, that's completely moronic.
  • a8 said:

Surely not you for screaming?

Because if so, that's completely moronic.

Oh no, not for screaming.

For "provoking" him.

ಠ_ಠ

Is all i can say to that.
  • Life in Cold America

I should go to bed, I technically have work tonight.

Good night, then.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    The lost episodes of William Blake

That is cool
    Sweet.
  • >hockey
    >girl sport

Maybe it's because I live in a state/city full of hockey fans but in what universe is hockey "girly"?
    It was considered kind of girly at my old secondary comprehensive, because it was one of the games the girls played during games classes (along with netball) while the boys were playing football or cricket.
  • Ah.

Cricket, huh? I heard the matches in that game can go on for days.
    Professional games can.  A game of test cricket lasts up to 5 days.

Those were pretty boring classes, because unless you were bowling, wicket-keeping or in a strategic fielding position (which i never was, since i wasn't very good), you spent most the time standing around doing nothing.
  • Pshaaaw, in my book a gym class when you don't have to do anything is a good gym class. :P
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    ^agreement
  • edited 2013-01-22 11:44:27
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Heh.

Well, i generally liked P.E. (physical education) classes, precisely because they made a change from sitting still in a classroom all the time.  Plus it got pretty cold standing around outdoors in gym shorts and polo shirts, so that was also unfun.
  • taking P.E. as an online course was one of my best decisions ever
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-01-22 11:58:16
    ^ same here

NC wanted me to take it in class form for two years but I scheduled my classes without it so this year I just took it online
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Also, to answer a questions from a few pages ago, Tzetze does seem to be doing better and I think found out what he wants to do with his life(go into neuroscience). He is fighting an battle to the death with his family's chickens, though.

Also I was kind of wary of IRC and #yackfest at first too, but I adapated fast, so I'd suggest giving it a shot if you wanna talk to some of the better regularly from TvT who don't come here.