Gathering some Magics

Comments

• "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    imageimage I have no idea what the point of shrouded fortified land is. The fort doesn't make the auras indestructible, and you can't attach any more auras once shroud goes on.
  • There are some spells that destroy lands. Also, there are some lands that become creatures. Using them together seems unnecessary complicated, though
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Trace of Abundance starts to look attractive if you're already putting two or more auras on lands, probably Utopia Sprawls and such for massive ramp. The fort is just ridiculous.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Fortifying a Maze of ith would suck for whoever does not own the maze. 

Though, the +1/+1 thing might not help much at that point.
    looks up Maze of Ith

Huh. Too bad there's no minotaur it has synergy with.
  • edited 2012-11-16 01:14:46
    "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    imageimage

Do the other three colors have 1-drop creatures that become this good if you do something thematic?
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
  • Well, arguably, Scute Mob doesn't do something as well as Serra Ascendant or Jace's Illusion. It does it much better.
  • I love Dragonmaster Outcast,  however his ability has never triggered for me because he gets blown to smithereens before I've even reached my next upkeep.  All those poor dragons waiting in the wings.
    Hah, I punned.
  • edited 2012-11-16 14:44:03
    "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    imageimageimage

On your first turn after the hydra comes out, it should have at least 12 heads. Second upkeep, Jared blows up everyone else at a Standard table.
    ^^A one-drop that draws removal is a pretty decent investment.
  • After stealing Dragonmaster Outcast in EDH that one time, I just wish I could actually play him in Vish Kal.
  • So hey doods.

I am trying to get back into MtG after awhile of being....not. 

I wish to create a deck centered around undead spellcasters (last page's Phylactery Lich is probably a good example), any ideas for a deck that both has a decent chance of winning (it doesn't need to be UBER ALWAYS WIN, just good for friendly play) and is cool/thematic?

I'm going to do my own research too of course, just asking for additional input.

• Well, of course, you'll probably be doing black/blue. They're the colors with the most undead, after all.

Knowledge on undead spellcasters is limited. You'll probably like this for the endgame, I can tell you that.

Also, this list.
    Believe it or not, there are actually at least three different ways you can go with "undead magicians." With black/green, Jared is awesome. If you can get a few huge creatures on the table, he can kill them to win even multiplayer games, and he's impervious to anything but exile if you'll sacrifice land.

Lich Lords of Unx are blue/black and you can pay blue & black to create lich tokens each turn, or two of each to do direct damage and mill at the same time. These work well with the black Death Barons, who give all skeletons and zombies (besides itself) +1/+1 and deathtouch.

Apprentice Necromancers are 2-mana undead necromancers you can send to the graveyard to get another creature in your graveyard with haste without paying its mana cost (but it dies again after one turn).

Black also has various vampire shamans,  Bloodhusk Ritualist has a multikicker that lets you force an opponent to discard their entire hand if you have enough mana. This works well with Nirkana Revenant, who doubles the mana swamps produce. Vampire Nighthawk is one of the best 3-mana creatures for black aggro in Standard.

So you should start by figuring out whether black aggro (Vampire Nighthawk and Phylactery Lich), black control (keep playing, Disentombing, and playing Bloodhusk Ritualists to force your opponent to play with one card per turn), black/blue aggro with a token army, or black/green combos off of Jared seem like more fun to play.
  • I don't really know what card you mean by "Jared".

That said, the second option sounds more interesting. I also don't much care for vampires, so there is that factor as well.

That sacrifice ability is really flexible with his colors, since you can do things like take advantage of green's mana ramp to fling a big green creature at every opponent, sacrifice your Phylactery Liches and bounce them back from your graveyard with additional phylacteries, or run a Reanimator deck. For your theme, the second would be most appealing.
  • Ooh that's just devious. I like that.

As do I like the idea of many liches.

Liches are good.

Only bad thing is that I then can't use that storm card, unless I were to run a tri-color deck but LOL NO.

• Are there any good cards that can convert a given creature to Zombies? Or some other undead?
  • also would I be correct in assuming this'd be useful?

• edited 2012-11-18 02:06:08
    It's 4:20 somewhere.
    Yeah, it's a pretty nice card. Legend rule and colors might make you want to hesitate putting three or more in a deck, though. And remember not to feel pressured to change the deck around too much to create synergy for her. She's fine without the last ability.

Go do a search on Gatherer for "lich". There are a few neat cards that have the flavor of making you the lich.

As for playing with creature types, blue has more cards for that, but black does have this:

• There are a few neat cards that have the flavor of making you the lich.

Such as um

"Lich"? :P

• There's this one black card, Simulacrum, that transfers all the damage that you've taken this turn to a creature of your choice.

Might be good for getting that 'phylactery' flavour.
  • Some staples for zombie themed decks:
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I would actually recommend going mono black to start, it will help give you a feel of what will be your primary colour, it's strengths and weaknesses.  

You can use cards such as Go for the Throat & Doom Blade for creature control.  Dark Ritual and Aether Vials to get them out faster.

Unfortunately black does lack in the artifact and enchantment control but that doesn't stop artifacts from coming into play here.  Though the idea with zombies is that you're trying to be fast enough not to care so much.

I hope that helps Lazuli.
  • Any ideas for Standard werewolf deck? Vintage is fine too, but I am not sure it is possible to make it fast enough to counter Vintage 3 turn kill things
    Rules question: does the active player's instant spell have priority? Say I tap all my mana sources and put out a creature that costs X - W, where X is my mana pool. An opponent plays Go For the Throat and I try to Cloudshift the creature. Fizzle or death?
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    It doesn't matter whose turn it is, just who played the last spell.

In this case:

You Cast a creature, this resolves.

Your opponent casts "Go for the throat" adding it to the stack

You cast "Cloudshift", putting it at the top of the stack.

Cloudshift resolves, exiling the creature.

Go for the throat fizzles, its target having been removed.
    Instants get put on the stack and resolve in the order played. Okay
  • Beholder said:

Any ideas for Standard werewolf deck? Vintage is fine too, but I am not sure it is possible to make it fast enough to counter Vintage 3 turn kill things

Probably want to go pro Green & Red.  The Innistrad block printed the majority of werewolves (possibly all).

If you go to Wizards' gatherer site you can search by creature type and it should bring them all up for you.

As far as I know Huntmaster of the Fells is the way to go:
    imageimage

I'd imagine giving them haste with red will really benefit the deck:
  • Gilda said:

Instants get put on the stack and resolve in the order played. Okay

Except for split second spells:

"Split second (As long as this spell is on the stack, players can't cast spells or activate abilities that aren't mana abilities.)"

I love, love that a hobbit is a dreaded EDH general.
  • Kithkin.

They're called kithkin.

Kithkin Kithkin Kithkin.

Kiiittthhhhhhhhhhhkin.

Yes, I'm being obstinate about this.
    There's no way it wouldn't be called a hobbit if there wasn't a copyright on the word.

Next you're going to tell me that treefolk aren't ents.
  • Abstinent Baloth. 
    Obstruent Baloth.
    Absinthe Baloth.
  • Obtuse Baloth
    Is Tezzeret a Psychlo?

imageimage
    image image
  • Justice wondered if he was fake, according to Gatherer - no, he is not.  He is indeed from Invasion.
  • Today I realised how awesome this combo is:
    image+image
    Now a definite combo for my Rafiq EDH, along with Tooth & Nailing:
    Reveillark & Karmic Guide
    Vigor & Empyrial Archangel

^ That's devastating if Avacyn has Greaves and you're not relying on a third utility creature for the win.

So what's the flavour of your Rafiq deck? You've got a Muslim-souding knight relying on angels... :P

• It's about speed actually.  Accelerate into Rafiq, swiftly equip him for maximum damage, often enough to kill with general damage in two turns.  If that fails, combo later game.  

There are also many smaller utility creatures that can benefit from Rafiq's double strike effect and/or any remaining equipment on the board to control and manipulate. 

It's a great dueling deck to kill with your general and great in terms of control for multi-player games.  I think he makes a wonderful general in general :P
  • edited 2012-12-04 14:11:09

It's about speed actually.  Accelerate into Rafiq, swiftly equip him for maximum damage, often enough to kill with general damage in two turns.  If that fails, combo later game.  

So what's called a Voltron general in the jargon?

Is there a theme to the creatures, or is everything Spike?

• There's a bit of an exalted and infect theme I guess.