Gathering some Magics

Comments

• It's 4:20 somewhere.
    >"broken"
    >triple colored mana cost
    >requires specific card type in play
    >creature
    >no evasion

It's not a bad card, but it's no Stoneforge Mystic.
    My favourite zombie.  So underrated.
  • Gelzo said:

>"broken"

>triple colored mana cost
    >requires specific card type in play
    >creature
    >no evasion

It's not a bad card, but it's no Stoneforge Mystic.
    Yes, yes, not Stoneforge Mystic broken.

I'm just thinking that it'd be easy to make a deck around that one card. With Dark Ritual and zero-cost artifacts, you could have that thing out on the first turn.

Then again, that could be said of a lot of cards.

I think what I should be saying is that I probably would have pegged it as a Mythic Rare rather than just rare.  Or at least, I would have upped the mana cost.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    It looks like the raddest card.

Though I'm probably saying that because I find the idea of a lich with a battle axe really, really cool, so
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    @Friday: aw yeah, sac him with Disciple of Bolas for 5 cards or Jared, Subway Lich Lord for 5 damage to each opponent, get him in the graveyard and just go nuts.
    >Subway Lich Lord

• "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    ^ :P

Oh and Path can only target creatures, not artifacts, so it becomes useless if the lich swinging his own phylactery at you wears something like Lightning Greaves.
  • I'm just thinking that it'd be easy to make a deck around that one card. With Dark Ritual and zero-cost artifacts, you could have that thing out on the first turn. 

I would argue that's more because Dark Ritual is insanely broken rather than it being the Lich's property in and of itself to do that.
    You can still use it before he gets equipped.

7 power on an indestructible shrouded creature sure isn't anything to sneeze at, but using three cards to get it isn't the most efficient thing you can do, especially if it can get chumped.
    Yeah, even with an equip cost of 0, there's that pesky instantness.

Better idea: his phylactery is a Darksteel Citadel. "The only way to stop him is to make land vanish into thin air."
  • Are there any cards that can turn a creature into an artifact? You could make him his own Phylactery.

Paradox! :D

Also, Gruul War Plow gives all your creatures trample. Suddenly chumping would be no issue.
  • Well shit, now I wanna get back into MtG just so I can do this.

Also, y'all should play Elements TCG, on a side note. It's an MtG ripoff that is so hilariously broken that it's fun to play.

• Personally my favored broken combination is uh, Painter's Servant + Grindstone if I'm rememberin' my card names right.

imageimageimageimage
    ^^^You remember Cawblade, right? Pretty fine example there. It used the sword of X and Y cycle as well as Batterskull.
  • Made a deck with Soul Wardens/Attendants, Sanguine Bond and Exquisite Blood. Calling it "Brides of Dracula"
    ^ While I made a deck with Phylactery Liches, Ornithopters, Dark Rituals, and assorted equipment that came out less "Lich on turn 1" and more "aircraft dual-wielding axes."
  • Gilda said:

"aircraft dual-wielding axes."

One of the best images I've ever thought up was the Bird of Paradise dual-wielding the Sword of War/Peace and the Sword of Feast/Famine
    A double sword held in each foot? Nice.

I'm really disappointed that there's a Sword of War and Peace but no Sword of Crime and Punishment. Not to mention Sword of the Brothers Karamazov, which would have three blades on the hilt.
  • ^^ Birds of Paradise at least have feet. What those Ornithopters were wielding their axes in, I have no idea
    So one day image picked up image and flying let her wield image and image in her feet. Cats came to look. image used image to look up at her, which made the other cats twice as strong and fast for some reason.
    If you guys haven't watched this episode, you totally have to.

• Awww, that's just plain cute
  • edited 2012-11-14 18:28:37
    "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    How bad is a single copy of Stoneforge Mystic?

Play green with some green/white lands, 8 mana dorks, and 8 3-drops with trample.
    Turn 1: Land, mana dork.
    Turn 2: Land, imageimage or whatever.
    Turn 3: Land, tap two lands and the dork to play image, paying 2 life. Sac the dork, tap the third land and pay 2 life to put out Stoneforge Mystic. When the tutor ability triggers, search your library for this.
    Turn 4: Land, spend 2W to put Elbrus out and on your trampler. Swing. You now have a 13/13 flying intimidating trampler whose power and toughness multiply in multiplayer games. For extra hilarity, pay your last mana and 2 life to sac the original trampler for image. Insist on calling them "Pazuzu" and "Regan."
  • Hmmm, to me combos should be faster than that.
  • One of my favorite Rafiq combos is paying the kicker on tooth and nail to get:
    image+image

@Friday: What's the fastest combo a Stoneforge Mystic can do?
  • edited 2012-11-14 19:51:48
    "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    So anyway:

Sword of the Brothers Karamazov
    Artifact - Equipment, 5
    Equipped creature gets +3/+3 and has protection from red, from blue, and from white.
    Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, that player may search their library for a card named Wrath of God and play it without paying its mana cost. Then creature's controller may search any player's library for a card and put it into their hand.
    Equip {3}

"If there is no God, anything is permitted."
  • Gilda said:

@Friday: What's the fastest combo a Stoneforge Mystic can do?

I don't know about combos as such but in legacy she tends to get used in combination with:
  • I keep staring at the art on that card and I still can't figure out what the hell is going on.
    Wasn't Batterskull a Masters of the Universe toy?
  • the batterskull is charging at three creatures, one on either side has been knocked over and the one in the middle is attempting to fend it off with a spear.
  • I see the one guy fending it off, but I can't distinguish the other two, nor where the monsters face is.  I'm very confused!
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    It took me a while to notice it, but the black curvy things on the skull appear to be tusks. That helped me visualize it better, but I can't speak for anyone else.
    I want to see a image wearing image over a image equip that thing.
  • edited 2012-11-14 20:24:18
    @Yarrun: Just to make it a freakin' matryoshka doll.

A more serious move would be to use the paladin's ability to make a simple Kor Duelist dual-wield Sword of Kaldra and a Loxodon Warhammer. While carrying Shield of Kaldra... uh, on his back.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

Perhaps not a great card (ignoring the fact that it's a "Nightmare Crab"), I always thought the idea of equiping this with something was pretty hilarious.
    ^ Uh... can't they just exile the crab itself?
  • edited 2012-11-14 21:02:55
    imageimageimage
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Gilda said:

^ Uh... can't they just exile the crab itself?

Possibly, but you'd just RETURN the crab to the battlefield, so it's not like that would do much good.
  • edited 2012-11-14 21:23:37
    Good thing entering the game from exile doesn't count as "comes into play", or an opponent could force a draw by choosing Wormfang Crab infinite times. :)

"Wormfang Crab, I choose you! Wormfang Crab, I choose you!"
  • It's been errata'd to say "another permanent" now.  A lot of the Nightmare Crabs had terrible templating problems like that initially. There was one you could use to get infinite turns, but then the rules for that changed.
    image seems like a hilariously unflavored way to win.

<white planeswalker> I have a horny cat, your argument is irrelevant.
    <other planeswalkers> We find this convincing because you have so much life.
  • Horny cat, hmmm?