The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• edited 2011-12-03 23:25:01
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^ALL RIGHT!

Freakin' pagetopper...
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    AU, about the logo: That's what I was going for. I wanted to evoke something like OCP, Weyland-Yutani, or even Cannon Films.

...Yes, Cannon Films' logo has always looked kinda evil to me.
  • Princess AlicePrincess Alice
    looks up Cannon Films logo ...Yeah, I can see it.
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    /me looks up Cannon Films logo

...Yeah, I can see it.

• Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    Cannon did make Death Wish III, so they can't be all bad.

I need to figure out how to do that metallic glowy effect.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The funny thing is? Cannon was once owned by Giancarlo Parretti, who was a shady businessman who also managed to once get his hands on MGM/UA (as a result of this they own most of Cannon's film library now, and have since 1990.).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    God. I wanna buy Orion Pictures, even though it was essentially "We Dunno: The Movie Studio", if a Los Angeles Times article I read is to be believed.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    if a Los Angeles Times article I read is to be believed.
    Well there's your problem. Do you really trust anything with "Time" in the name?
  • What about Imipolex G-Time? (What a beautiful wedding that was, or will be I suppose.)
    Or Time Warner? :P
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ^ Not helping your case, here. :P
    Okay, I"m goin' to bed; about to pass out, and because it's a perfect night to get under the covers and snuggle with my pillow. Good night!
    Good night lee.

...god. Lionsgate is such a corporate-crush nightmare. So many reasons to hate it, so few reasons to like it.
    So my family is going to go buy a Christmas tree today.

...It's weird that it's already Christmastime. It's like, the clock is already counting down, and even though I've been waiting for this for months I'm not quite ready for it to actually be here.
    Do you get real trees?
    Since 2009 or so, yeah. We go to this garden center over in Blacklick; they have huge trees for way cheap.
    We used to have a big artificial tree that was infested by mice last year, so it was thrown away. We'd had it since at least 1999. Now we have a smaller one with lights already on it. They're not multicolored, as Mother thinks they're gaudy.
    From 2001 or so up to 2009, we used a big artificial tree we got from Kmart. It was prestrung with white lights, and invariably every year a section would fail to light up as we were setting up the tree and we would have to go and check every bulb to try and fix it.

Then in 2009 my dad started to set it up, found that none of the lights worked, and left it that way. Then Mother decided to throw it away (it was bent anyway, as our cats loved to lay in it) and go get a live tree instead. So we've been doing that ever since.
  • edited 2011-12-04 05:00:08
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I keep wondering why my mother seems to lack a taste for juvenile sort of things. Perhaps because she grew up in a time when that wasn't acceptable.
    What do you mean by juvenile sort of things?
    Bright colors.
    Ah.

You know, last year the lights we put on the tree started...well, failing. We would change the bulbs again and again and they would end up dead within days. I think we had only half the tree lit on Christmas day. And these lights were only a year old!

So on December 26th my dad and I went to Lowe's and grabbed up a bunch of new lights. We got four strands of 50 big white LED lights (one of which I strung around my room a few months back), and 6 150-light strands of multicolored mini lights. I have no idea what we plan to do with the latter.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    what people don't realize about Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is that it's secretly a haiku in videogame form.
    They're talking about When Harry Met Sally in TVT's Romance thread.

Two mindviruses there! (New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer)
    MGM
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    GMG
    I hate logo plastering, but the terrible MGM/UA logo at the end of The Tom and Jerry Comedy Show made me think of a "METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER TELEVISION" logo whose primary purpose is to replace old ones, were MGM still in possession of most of its pre-1986 library (if they do continue to own any, it probably returned to the fold when they bought Orion/Samuel Goldwyn).

Everything is set in Gotham Black (because trendy), and "METRO" appears white-on-red, "GOLDWYN" appears white-on-blue, "MAYER" appears yellow-on-red, and "TELEVISION" appears white-on-black, with a large version of the 1966 logo in the background the whole time, which also replaces the "O" in television. I don't know if it has its own music.
    So I was playing New Heapersburg (my replacement for the Heapersburg savegame I lost) and it is the early 1950s. So I decided to "draw" some 1950s-style signs.

First off, some street blades:

The standard stop sign of the era. These were phased out after 1954 in favor of the current red--prior to that reflective sheeting wasn't widely available and a red sign would be difficult to see at night:

A route shield assembly. In real life this would have the state name instead of just "ROUTE", but for SimCity I bend the rules a little.

This is what was called an "oversized route marker", intended for use on high-traffic or rural roads:

And finally, some directional signage. Black on white was still standard for these at the time; white-on-green was not in use until the early 1960s.

Black-on-white wasn't considered as legible as white-on-green, was it?
    IIRC, Caltrans experimented with several different color schemes in the late 1950s and found that drivers preferred the white-on-green signs.
  • edited 2011-12-04 22:30:58
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    So I have a silly idea for an episode where Gold and Calcium go back to the 1950s, and Calcium somehow ends up threatening a Bureau of Public Roads employee with her modern-day STOP sign. Instead of cowering in fear, the employee just stares at it and says "A red stop sign? That's such a great idea!"
    ...now I'm wondering what channel would air a show like this.
    Probably the same one that would air that cartoon about the three stoner college students who share an apartment...which I just remembered was from a dream I probably didn't post here or TVT, fuck
    ...fuck.

Obsessions are weird. Now my mind seems to be on to Time Warner, a bit.
    What about them?
    I don't know. They're pretty big, for one thing.
    Reading historical editions of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices is addicting.

From 1948 to 1954, this was the standard directional banner:

The 1948 manual replaced it with this design, which lasted until 2003:

Fun fact: Lionsgate is named after, of all things, a bridge.
    I think I'm more interested in Time than Time Warner.
    ^^I already knew that. It's a pretty cool bridge, too. (I have cooked up a name for a hypothetical subdivision, "Lionsbay", which alludes to that area, and would serve to release low-budget films.)

^Would you hold Time Warner in contempt for not publishing books anymore? :P
  • edited 2011-12-04 23:15:37
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    AU: Oh, okay. (And you say that as if LGF's output isn't already pretty low-end. :lol:)

Time was actually pretty interesting pre-Warner, if only because I think TIme-Life Films' history is intriguing.
    I don't know why Turner was intriguing pre-TW. Maybe because I have genuine envy for its library.
    Time Warner still publishes books, don't they?

Frankly, they suffer in my estimation just because I inevitably associate "Warner" with Animaniacs. Not that that was a bad show, really...
    I want to make a BUMP warning sign...that's been SBAHJified and says "BUNP" instead. In Comic Sans MS, of course.
  • edited 2011-12-04 23:41:33
    I remember when I made Inane242 a variation that said "NANEY BUMP".

He liked it, even though I left the lettering a bit distorted.
    I want my own bump sign