The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• edited 2011-12-02 21:58:45
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Franklin County, Ohio has used it for street blades for several years, but they have a bizarre habit of posting a Clearview blade and an FHWA blade at the same intersection...for example, here.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    It is bizarre.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Also that area has some confusing street names. There is Taylor Station Road, which intersects Taylor Road, and Havens Road, which parallels Havens Corners Road not even half a mile away.
  • *sneezes*
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Somehow I figured you would get the next post
    I wanna go through my VHS hoard.
    I'd say "post anything interesting you find!" but that would take time and effort to transfer off the tapes, so no.
  • edited 2011-12-03 00:55:05
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I went and grabbed my VHS of Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery so I could watch the New Line Home Video logo with its smooth framerate intact. (When the leap to DVD happened and "HOME VIDEO" became "HOME ENTERTAINMENT" due to "video" being associated with VHS, the framerate was changed to match the movie logo, as apparently smooth framerates are unfavorable.)

The previews were almost non-existent (just one for Spawn's VHS releases), and I was tempted to watch the movie itself.
    It's kind of funny when you think about it...you went and got a tape out and you're tempted to watch the movie itself.
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    "(just one for Spawn's VHS releases)"

did someone call for me
  • edited 2011-12-03 00:56:25
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Also, even though the movie was released in the summer of 1997, the New Line Cinema logo in front of it has a Turner byline. It must have taken a while for them to make New Line its own unit, autonomous from Turner.

^Funny, I thought of you while that was playing.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    The particular rogues gallery I was reading was the "long-term abuse" section in the Wikipedia: namespace. It's...interesting.

Also, I just erased GNOME 3 and installed XFCE because, quite frankly, GNOME 3 blows goats. (I HAVE PROOF)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I wanna go look at anorakia.
    IN HD:

Speaking of anorakia: What English might look like without any Latinate influence. It's...weird. Like "reading Tolkien if it were written in Newspeak" weird.
    Isn't reading much of anything written in Newspeak weird?

I might look at more of that site soon, though.
  • edited 2011-12-03 03:20:38
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, but I get the feeling Orwell may have based Newspeak on old Germanic language tropes, which were pretty much forgotten in English bu the time he wrote 1984, and so would look really, really strange unless you were familiar with German or Dutch.
    ...I was reading some article that said Sony Pictures was "dying" or something.

...would Sony be willing to sell it or does it make too much money, you think?
  • edited 2011-12-03 03:42:28
    AU: Where did you see this? I haven't really been paying attention to how Columbia and friends are doing, but I know some of their recent web ads have been those annoying "plays with audio when you roll over" things, which does strike me as kind of desperate.

squiddle: If you like S&M, sure, why not. :lol:
    This article, which may or may not be wrong.

...what the hell was the difference between Columbia and TriStar, once they got bought out by CPE?
    AU: Oh, one of those "short this stock now" articles that are really just idle speculation. I think Sony is more tenacious than that, and also that the real albatross isn't SPE but SCEA/PSN.

I wouldn't want to see Sears go. If Craftsman in particular goes away, I'm not sure what my fallbacks would be. No one else has their sockets and wrenches made in the US anymore, except for Snap-on and the other expensive tool-truck brands. As for screwdrivers, there's always Wiha, though I have to admit some of the cheap Chinese ones aren't bad these days.

I'm not sure how the Sony people wanted to rebrand them; my guess is that Columbia was supposed to be for A-movies and things expected to be blockbusters, while TriStar was a B-movie division that became redundant once they restarted Screen Gems.
    I thought they were just redundant for a while.
    I remember being in the car with my parents when I was like 7 or 8. We pulled up to an intersection and the traffic signal was dark. My dad said "uh oh, the red light is out!"

To which I immediately responded "then how do you know it's the red one?"

I find it funny in retrospect because it's such a typical "Asperger's" thing for me to have said.
    How so?
    Because I missed the overall point of the statement (i.e. "the traffic signal is broken") by getting sidetracked on a small detail.
    Orion has infiltrated my mind.
    Hmm, I should get to bed before I pass out. Good night!
    Good night, lee.
  • This sure is a quiet forum. Quieter than IJBM, even.
    ^^The regulars aren't as many, either.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    The Allegory of the Cave—also known as the Analogy of the Cave, Plato's Cave, or the Parable of the Cave—is an allegory used by the Greek philosopher Plato in his work The Republic to illustrate "our nature in its education and want of education" (514a). It is written as a fictional dialogue between Plato's teacher Socrates and Plato's brother Glaucon at the beginning of Book VII (chapter IX in Robin Waterfield's translation) (514a–520a). The Allegory of the Cave is presented after the metaphor of the sun (507b–509c) and the analogy of the divided line (509d–513e). Allegories are summarized in the viewpoint of dialectic at the end of Book VII and VIII (531d–534e).

In the dialogue, Socrates describes a group of people who have lived chained to the wall of a cave all of their lives, facing a blank wall. The people watch shadows projected on the wall by things passing in front of a fire behind them, and begin to ascribe forms to these shadows. According to Socrates, the shadows are as close as the prisoners get to viewing reality. He then explains how the philosopher is like a prisoner who is freed from the cave and comes to understand that the shadows on the wall do not make up reality at all, as he can perceive the true form of reality rather than the mere shadows seen by the prisoners.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    Inside the cave

In Plato's fictional dialogue, Socrates begins by describing a scenario in which what people take to be real would in fact be an illusion. He asks Glaucon to imagine a cave inhabited by prisoners who have been chained and held immobile since childhood: not only are their arms and legs held in place, but their heads are also fixed, compelled to gaze at a wall in front of them. Behind the prisoners is an enormous fire, and between the fire and the prisoners is a raised walkway, along which people walk carrying things on their heads "including figures of men and animals made of wood, stone and other materials". The prisoners watch the shadows cast by the men, not knowing they are shadows. There are also echoes off the wall from the noise produced from the walkway.

Socrates suggests the prisoners would take the shadows to be real things and the echoes to be real sounds, not just reflections of reality, since they are all they had ever seen or heard. They would praise as clever whoever could best guess which shadow would come next, as someone who understood the nature of the world, and the whole of their society would depend on the shadows on the wall.

Release from the cave

Socrates then supposes that a prisoner is freed and permitted to stand up. If someone were to show him the things that had cast the shadows, he would not recognize them for what they were and could not name them; he would believe the shadows on the wall to be more real than what he sees.

"Suppose further," Socrates says, "that the man was compelled to look at the fire: wouldn't he be struck blind and try to turn his gaze back toward the shadows, as toward what he can see clearly and hold to be real? What if someone forcibly dragged such a man upward, out of the cave: wouldn't the man be angry at the one doing this to him? And if dragged all the way out into the sunlight, wouldn't he be distressed and unable to see "even one of the things now said to be true," viz. the shadows on the wall (516a)?

After some time on the surface, however, the freed prisoner would acclimate. He would see more and more things around him, until he could look upon the Sun. He would understand that the Sun is the "source of the seasons and the years, and is the steward of all things in the visible place, and is in a certain way the cause of all those things he and his companions had been seeing" (516b–c). (See also Plato's metaphor of the Sun, which occurs near the end of The Republic, Book VI)

Return to the cave

Socrates next asks Glaucon to consider the condition of this man. "Wouldn't he remember his first home, what passed for wisdom there, and his fellow prisoners, and consider himself happy and them pitiable? And wouldn't he disdain whatever honors, praises, and prizes were awarded there to the ones who guessed best which shadows followed which? Moreover, were he to return there, wouldn't he be rather bad at their game, no longer being accustomed to the darkness? Wouldn't it be said of him that he went up and came back with his eyes corrupted, and that it's not even worth trying to go up? And if they were somehow able to get their hands on and kill the man who attempts to release and lead them up, wouldn't they kill him?" (517a)

Remarks on the allegory

Socrates remarks that this allegory can be taken with what was said before, namely the metaphor of the Sun, and the divided line. In particular, he likens

"the region revealed through sight"—the ordinary objects we see around us—"to the prison home, and the light of the fire in it to the power of the Sun. And in applying the going up and the seeing of what's above to the soul's journey to the intelligible place, you not mistake my expectation, since you desire to hear it. A god doubtless knows if it happens to be true. At all events, this is the way the phenomena look to me: in the region of the knowable the last thing to be seen, and that with considerable effort, is the idea of good; but once seen, it must be concluded that this is indeed the cause for all things of all that is right and beautiful—in the visible realm it gives birth to light and its sovereign; in the intelligible realm, itself sovereign, it provided truth and intelligence—and that the man who is going to act prudently in private or in public must see it" (517b–c).

After "returning from divine contemplations to human evils", a man

"is graceless and looks quite ridiculous when—with his sight still dim and before he has gotten sufficiently accustomed to the surrounding darkness—he is compelled in courtrooms or elsewhere to contend about the shadows of justice or the representations of which they are the shadows, and to dispute about the way these things are understood by men who have never seen justice itself?" (517d–e)
    copypasting philosophy is fun
  • edited 2011-12-03 18:38:11
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    PRISENCOLINENSINAINCIUSOL
  • edited 2011-12-03 19:06:26
    Just woke up a few few minutes ago. I had a bad dream about Ally. :( 

It was one of the awful dazed-and-confused high-school dreams I used to have about my high-school crush or my early-200s crush, only with Ally replacing Kendra. And after I had freaked out and run and hid in a room at the other end of the school, a couple of friends came up and said "We found someone else who'd like to go out with you" and she looked like someone I kew in HS that was cute (and had a nice butt XD) but whom I didn't really have a crush on or anything. 

I woke up and thought "OHGODWHAT. Ally is NOT KENDRA and my dream self needs beatings." I also grabbed my favorite pillow and snuggled with it for a while to spite my dream self. :P 

I so wanted to write to Ally and tell her I loved her after that. :( But I figure that would be overdoing it.

...that sounds bad.
    I know, right? The first healthy relationship I've had with a woman in years, if ever...and my dream self wants to compare her to someone I was never good friends with, treated like crap, and to be honest made so I could never have a good relationship with her. So it's not just upsetting, it's fucking INSULTING. 

• edited 2011-12-03 22:21:54
    Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    The logo I managed to make.
    Not finished yet.
    No curves. No soul.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Dreams are not to be taken too seriously.

I can tell you this from experience.
    Why?
    Well, this is the first time I've had a dream where its deference from reality actually pissed me off once I woke up. I've had dreams I thought were exciting, romantic, strange, even depressing, but I've never had a dream make me angry before because it was so wrong
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Well, in 1994, I had an existential crisis (pothole here to "not this again"), and it involved a dream that unsettled me and ended up misleading me.

I don't remember what the dream was about.

This is really vague.
    I feel lonely