The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I looked it up. Doesn't redeem the original.

• Discuss.
    that sure does seem to be a bunny being given a shower
    Kexruct said:

I looked it up. Doesn't redeem the original.

I disagree.

While you're listening to "Somebody I Used To Know" though, take a look at Walk off The Earth's cover. Five people, one guitar.

• Discuss.
    that sure does seem to be a bunny being given a shower
    Kexruct said:

I looked it up. Doesn't redeem the original.

I disagree.

The song itself, and the video, however, were amazing. But I'm just not seeing what the big deal over "Call Me Maybe" is.
  • Eh, I dunno.

Sometimes the world is too serious and you need a little bit of popcorn music to make you feel better, maybe.

I think it's an alright song myself. Probably the sorta thing that'll show up on "Hits of the 2010s" compilations in a few decades.

• Eh, I dunno.

Sometimes the world is too serious and you need a little bit of popcorn music to make you feel better, maybe.

That's actually an very good point.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Ooh, a portable 4-way traffic light system for use in emergencies!

...I'm probably the only person on earth who thinks this is cool.

This is why I like the song. It's just the kind of song that's just kinda fun and bubblegummy and upbeat, and I like that once in a while. 
  • I think Signal Lancer got an upgrade is what I think about it.
  •  

Discuss.
    That rabbit is standing up :D
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's time for a game of GUESS THE NEWS ARTICLE!

Given this comment:
    Guess what this is what happens when the atheist take over the public school system. We all get dumb like they are.
    Can you guess the topic of the news article it was posted on?
  • Ah.

Something about Evolution?

Really that could be said about just about anything.

And the answer is: Red arrows being used in traffic lights!

I find it alternately amusing and infuriating that any kind of change in traffic control devices gets people screaming "IF YOU'RE TOO STUPID TO FIGURE IT OUT THE OLD WAY, YOU SHOULDN'T DRIVE!" Yes, god forbid we make things clearer and more consistent for everyone.
    What if someone built a freeway named after Dexter and Dee Dee?
  • I feel sick.

I'm going to go to sleep now.

I hope Fouria isn't too mad at me when he comes back, I kind of feel bad for yelling at him.

Good night.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I'm not mad.

SL, I'm sorry.  I was a dick.  I never meant to suggest that you were a bigot or anything like that.  I opened my big mouth without thinking and I said some stupid things back there, things I didn't intend.

I wound up trying to defend something I shouldn't have been.  I have a bad habit of kidding myself that I have an objective viewpoint on things that I really don't, and the irony of my doing that after talking disparagingly about self-proclaimed allies is not lost on me.

I know you're not on right now, and I'm between classes right now so I can't talk, but I promise I'm not ignoring you and I'll type up a response later.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    This is all going to come full circle at some point and people are going to have to call out #privileges, #Social_Justice, and #DIE_CIS_SCUM as trigger warnings. 

That bunny is very placid about being in the show...

WHY DOES EVERYONE KEEP SUCH WEIRD HOURS ON THIS PLACE?!

Anyhow, gonna maybe get another hour of sleep or head into work...

• Discuss.
    Not standard behavior for a rabbit. The average rabbit, upon contact with water, will move. If you hold it in the water, it will struggle against you with every iota of its being. It will kick. It will kick like a truck. And when it's done, it looks more like a drowned rat than a rabbit.

At least, that's my experience. Can't speak for, say, the Corporal's rabbit.
  • I hate waking up late. I especially hate it when I wake up early and then fall asleep again.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Up at the crack of noon
  • Woke up quick

at about noon

just thought that I gotta be in Compton soon.

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    it was a good day

didn't even have to use my AK
  • edited 2012-10-11 13:19:00
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Super Läzuli, you make a very good point, and I will not dispute it. Certainly, if you're misunderstood, it's better to explain yourself than to act defensive, and of course nobody is exempt from that. Which is why I am going to try my best to explain myself now.

I never, at any point, meant to imply that you were a bigot.  I thoughtlessly conflated your position with the one I was complaining about because you were disagreeing with me.  I didn't even consider the implications there.  I know how stupid this sounds and maybe it's a little late for this, but honest to God, I fucked up, and I'm sorry.

Obviously, I wasn't clear.  I have never pretended that I speak for all LGBT people.  I can't do that, no one person can, and nor do I have the right to do that.  I can really speak only for myself.

I do not defend other people to win their approval.  I do sometimes criticize instances in the media which portray minorities in a negative light, but that's because I think the maintenance and perpetuation of stupid stereotypes via the media is a harmful practice and I want it to go away.  To ignore it or tune it out, to uncritically absorb everything that gets broadcasted, would to my mind be irresponsible.

A particular pet peeve of mine is when somebody's behaviour is misconstrued and consequently, assumptions are made about them as a person.  I can't stand this.  When I think it's happening, and the person attacked isn't present to defend themselves, I do tend to leap to their defence, even when it might not be the most advisable decision.  I have been more uncertain about this lately because I know people don't always mean things as literally as I tend to assume and don't appreciate being told things they already know, and also because I've been wondering whether defending other people is harmful, because I don't want to put words into other people's mouths or get in the way of people trying to defend themselves.  It is still a tendency I have.

I didn't really set out to defend anybody when I started posting earlier.  In so far as I was, I was talking about something which is in some respects very personal for me and which is not exclusive to any particular group.  You have friends who you can talk to about things that are personal and are bothering you.  That's great.  Really, honestly, it is.  I'm glad for you.  I don't, and I'm not saying this in pursuit of sympathy, because truth be told it probably has more to do with the kind of person I am than to do with my friends, who are all great people.  But we don't talk about our feelings.  We go drinking together, we see movies together, we used to play games together but that hasn't happened in a while.  And I just don't usually feel comfortable raising the subject of my own feelings in personal conversations with other people.  I don't know why, it just feels like an imposition.  Instead, I go on forums and vent, to nobody in particular, and where I figure that if anyone wants to comment they can, and if they don't, they won't.

Which is in fact what I was doing upthread.  I was venting.  I saw what looked like an opportunity to do so, and I took it.  Obviously you usually have a fair idea of who will read what you write, but it just feels less personal, somehow.  And when you're venting and among friends, you don't always watch what you say, and I think in some circles there is an expectation that people should.  I don't think this is polite or reasonable.

So that's kind of where I was coming from, before.  I feel that one negative effect of tumblr, and other social networking sites really but it goes double for tumblr and twitter, is that what was once a quasi-private environment - not actually private, but one in which there was never any likelihood that more than a small community of people would be reading any given post - becomes a very public one.

When you said before that I was defending things like "#shitwhitepeoplesay", I was kind of taken aback.  You weren't wrong exactly, so I couldn't very well deny it, but it wasn't what I had in mind and in many ways is kind of a manifestation of what I was complaining about.  It's a convention that arose to tag posts with a particular theme, and the result is that you have a kind of database of Stupid Things That White Individuals Have Said At Some Point That People On Tumblr Found Insulting, for ease of cross-reference.

This is the kind of thing I wouldn't normally criticize or defend, because it's not really anything to do with me.  I don't know what the intention of the first person to type out the exact phrase "#shitwhitepeoplesay" was, whether they were trying to be provocative or funny or express their annoyance at something.  At this point it seems to have become basically "the done thing", and frankly no, I don't think that's a good thing.  But what I was complaining about was that private venting is becoming increasingly public, and trends and conventions that were never intended for use in serious discussions have been absorbed into a kind of political discourse, to the point where it's difficult to extricate the two.  And one of the other ways in which this manifests is a greater influx of entitled privileged people encountering things that were written with a specific audience in mind, and taking offence that their own feelings aren't being catered to, than ever before.

(A note on "#shitwhitepeoplesay" vs. "DIE CIS SCUM" - I do think there's a difference.  Whatever the problems with the former might be, the latter is not simply a way to label a particular kind of stupid thing, it's a deliberately aggressive statement, intended to shock.  The message it sends is not "back off" or "don't fuck with me", it's "if you are a cis* individual, you are scum and I want you to die".  The argument you usually hear in its defence is that transgenders get that kind of comment all the time, as though that somehow negates the hostility it conveys and as though violence can only ever be perpetrated from a position of privilege.)

I do find it hurtful when people use "white" as an insult, and I have seen it stated outright that if you are white, you are an oppressor.  I don't really feel that I'm in a position to kick up a fuss about this, and I realize I am probably rather thin-skinned, but it bothers me all the same.  This is kind of what I was talking about before.

I'm certainly not OK with terms like "wigga", and in any case, I think it's perfectly possible to appreciate the output of a culture without appropriating it as your own.  The only people I've seen suggest otherwise have themselves been white and seemingly looking for another insult to throw around.  I don't think it's ever polite to apply a label to a person that they wouldn't use to describe themselves, which is why I used to get so annoyed when I'd see people making fun of hipsters or whatever group it was fashionable to poke fun at at any given moment.

You're not an evil oppressor, and I wouldn't dream of calling you one.  I was seriously aghast that my posts had that effect, because I just had no idea.  I was thoughtless, and I was on the defensive because I read something into your posts that wasn't there.  I will try to watch what I say more carefully in future.
  • edited 2012-10-11 13:26:39
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

tl;dr. /Look how cool and awesome I am, internet!

"Wigga" probably wouldn't be used so much if we used "Chav" in the U.S. 

Maybe we should import it into our lexicon. 
  • edited 2012-10-11 13:28:57

Allies in general:

"Hey! I'm not an oppressor! I have friends who are gay. And friends who are transgendered. And friends who are gay and transgendered, and that counts as like ten gay people!"

• edited 2012-10-11 13:57:24
    ^^ It's longer than I meant it to be, yeah.

tl;dr version: I was an asshole earlier and implied some things about SL that I didn't mean, and the rest is explaining what I was actually trying to say and how it related to the argument that ensued.

"Chav" is also a word that I really dislike, but the prejudicial connotations are much less overt so it's at least better than "wigga".
  • edited 2012-10-11 13:36:49
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Allies are coloured Yellow.  Enemies are coloured Red.  Player one is coloured blue.

If you send 800 gold, Red will turn Yellow.  Presumably, they cover their red clothing with gold.

Should you fail to send troops to assist your allies when they are attacked by your shared enemies, said allies will turn red and join your enemies.  Presumably, your former allies are using their gold to fund the rebuilding of their base, and they're certainly not going to show you their nice gold clothes.

All hail, king of the losers.  Nice town, I'll take it.  Wood please.  Wood please.  Wood please.  Woolooloo.

I actually read the whole thing anyway. :P

My experience with this extends to this fora, some limited exposure in TV Tropes, and Kankri...

I'm probably not qualified to comment much... 
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Kexruct said:

Allies in general:

"Hey! I'm not an oppressor! I have friends who are gay. And friends who are transgendered. And friends who are gay and transgendered, and that counts as like ten gay people!"

This is kind of what I had in mind when I posted that image a few pages back, but pushier  -- folks who have no stake in the movement (other than their agreement) trying to take center stage. Some of these outsiders (for lack of a better term) have crowded out people from their own movement. Like I said, I'm glad something is finally being said about it. 

On the other side of the coin, and going directly from your example up there, many of the folks with an actual stake in the movement simply cut off or discount others who don't share their condition or status. As such, they're very quick to snap at someone who tries to relate with the whole "I have a friend/family member/parent who's ______________."  For the most part, these folks are only trying to relate. Trite, yes. Harm or foul, no. 
  • edited 2012-10-11 13:56:14
    ^^ It was really meant for SL (and should probably have been a PM I guess) but thanks.  Reading it back there's still a lot of high-handed waffle about tumblr that I can probably cut, but I wasn't sure how much was necessary for clarity's sake.

Meh, it's all good. I was just being an internet tough guy because I hear they get all the chicks. All of them. 

...This page has a lot of meta social justice talk and quote animal picks...

Better keep it going .

• more like all theimage

• The sadness will last forever.
    damn, msn messenger always screws up

SEMPER FI IS A MARINE TERM, NOT AN ARMY TERM YOU STUPID BINTS

GET IT RIGHT
    the puny docks
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    The WBC, I presume?
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    You mean all the

box
    roar
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    It seems the no times tour de france winner Louis Neil Lance Armstrong was a massive drug cheater. He made all of his team do drugs too.
    Fouria G said:

The WBC, I presume?

Yeah, probably. After the LGBT community got used to them and and then started to treat them like a sideshow, they had to find another way to offend everyone. Which isn't really working either - the rest of America has caught on and just rolls their eyes now. 
  • headache

just woke up from some weird spy fiction dream.

Free glasses, today only. The prescription spectacles kind. 
  • all I want for my birthday is a big booty hoe

except not really because I am not 2Chainz and I don't plan on getting a hoe for myself on the 19th
  • what are you a farmer or something