The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Social anxiety...yeah, I've had that. It has improved a lot. THERE IS HOPE

Me, same old stuff mostly. I released a beta version of my Mario game episode which a few folks here have been playing. Trying to shape it up into a final version...

Ah, yeah.

I need to try to get that to work again. Hmmhm.

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I'm honestly not sure what went wrong with it in your case, Lazuli. Other than that your computer seems to hate you
  • It does.

Luckily! I found out yesterday that I am apparently getting my new one within the week.

So that's good.

• Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    I think Lazuli's computer needs a fresh XP or 7 reinstall
  • I have read several of his books, and yes he is he most awesome dude in the universe.

I have read several of his books, and yes he is he most awesome dude in the universe next to the Corporal.

ftfy
  • I am going to do that when I get my new one.

My mom needs a laptop for school, and she doesn't need a word processor (she's allowed to use GoogleDocs), so I offered to give her Sandstone here.

Yes, I name my computers. Problem?

I have read several of his books, and yes he is he most awesome dude in the universe.

What of his would you recommend? And on what topics?

I need to read more about SCIENCE.

• My iPod's name was Mordecai at one point. Now it's Kevin.
  • Imi: Well, that is good to know. I would kind of like to not to have my heart rate go up when I just want to go to ask someone a simple favor.

Also, sweet. I'd like to play it...dunno if I'd have the time right now though.
  • The Pluto Files and Death By Black Hole are good.
    It'd be cool if you played it, JZ, but if you're busy right now then feel free to wait for the final version. Which I'm thinking will be much better.

My first laptop was named Eleanor. After that, I gave up naming my computers.
  • my iPod's now dead.
  • My iPod's name is Jandek. Jandek being probably the most "avant garde" musician I listen to, where "avant garde" is a stand in for "lacks any real knowledge of music but is strangely compelling anyway".
  • The Pluto Files and Death By Black Hole are good.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnoted.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The other day I saw another one of those generic "If you complain about social justice it really just means you're {racist|homophobic|transphobic} and tired of getting called out on your bullshit" posts.

Then I saw a reply where someone said that real social justice was worthwhile, but Tumblr "social justice" was a pointless echochamber at best and genuinely harmful at worst. She cited the recent incident where an innocent man's photo was circulating with the warning that he was preying on LGBT people--it was reblogged thousands of times before it finally came out that he was innocent and the whole thing was a hoax.

The post made me smile. The woman who wrote it was someone who had often been outspoken on social justice-related topics, so seeing even her deliver a well-written criticism of Tumblr's social justice community felt good.
  • My computers have been named, in order: Abacus (my mom's laptop, which I also used), Abacus Major (my broken-ass desktop computer that runs Windows 98, that's not a joke), Abacus III (the desktop computer in my parents' bedroom), Scarlet Letter (the desktop I had before this one) and Sandstone (what I'm using right now).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Imi: Maybe in a couple of weeks.

I've never named a computer, though I do call this one Compy :P
  • The sadness will last forever.

Criterion Collection had a release of this...on Laserdisc. It should be on DVD and Blu-Ray!
  • Also when I was a wee lad I had one of those play computers I named CONRAD. If you know what CONRAD is a reference too, congratulations, you were as nerdy a child as I was.

The other day I saw another one of those generic "If you complain about social justice it really just means you're {racist|homophobic|transphobic} and tired of getting called out on your bullshit" posts.

Then I saw a reply where someone said that real social justice was worthwhile, but Tumblr "social justice" was a pointless echochamber at best and genuinely harmful at worst. She cited the recent incident where an innocent man's photo was circulating with the warning that he was preying on LGBT people--it was reblogged thousands of times before it finally came out that he was innocent and the whole thing was a hoax.

The post made me smile. The woman who wrote it was someone who had often been outspoken on social justice-related topics, so seeing even her deliver a well-written criticism of Tumblr's social justice community felt good.
    That's really refreshing to hear. Also, I hope more people see that whole "or you're a bigot!" counterargument as the first grade playground logic that it really is.   
    When I hear Danny Boyle, I think of Slumdog Millionaire.
  • The other day I saw another one of those generic "If you complain about social justice it really just means you're {racist|homophobic|transphobic} and tired of getting called out on your bullshit" posts.

That's really refreshing to hear. Also, I hope more people see that whole "or you're a bigot!" counterargument as the first grade playground logic that it really is.   
    your a bigot against my logic, you privileged scum
    lol laserdisc
  • edited 2012-10-04 01:11:48
    Criterion Collection had a release of this...on Laserdisc. It should be on DVD and Blu-Ray!
    Dat movie has the toilet scene from Gravity's Rainbow.
  • Y'know, there is nothing more fun than being a grown adult with a job who fucking pays rent to my parents who is still expected to do something as highschool freshman as take out the trash.

I wouldn't care if there weren't literally five other people in the house who not only could do it, but probably do it better than me, because I always miss stuff.

sjws sjws everywhere

your a bigot against my logic, you privileged scum

don't you other me, you cisvisual depthist stereonorm
  • edited 2012-10-04 01:14:10

Y'know, there is nothing more fun than being a grown adult with a job who fucking pays rent to my parents who is still expected to do something as highschool freshman as take out the trash.

I wouldn't care if there weren't literally five other people in the house who not only could do it, but probably do it better than me, because I always miss stuff.

You still live in the household, as such you still have to do certain things.
  • Y'know, there is nothing more fun than being a grown adult with a job who fucking pays rent to my parents who is still expected to do something as highschool freshman as take out the trash.

You still live in the household, as such you still have to do certain things.

Don't even. I regularly clean my own room without being hounded to, I clean up after myself and take out my own trash, do my own dishes and laundry, and again, I pay $100 in rent a month. That's not a lot, but it's half of a paycheck I could be using for more useful things than just turning over to my stepfather.

Now, contrast my stepdad, who doesn't even do any of the above for himself. He is supposed to teach my brothers, since they go to a cyberschool with a heavy homeschooling element. In practice, that job almost always falls to either myself or my mother. It's horrible when I have to do it because I'm simply a bad teacher, so of course their grades were slipping for quite awhile. He's been better about it recently (as in like, the past two weeks), but time will tell if that holds.

So you see, it's not so much the actual having to do it, it's that I have to do it while he sits on his ass and browses Reddit all day and night.

That's barely an exaggeration, by the way. When he's not on the computer (often either again, browsing Reddit or watching loud Youtube videos without headphones) he's usually at the store buying more Mountain Dew on his unemployment money.

Yeah, did I mention he got laid off several months ago and has not even considered looking for a job? 

scotland
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Does your mother care about this, Läzuli?
  • My name will soon be expanded, yeeeeees.

I considered changing it to "That Fantabulous Lava Lamp", "Double AA Lasergun" or "Ulilululi", but I decided I wanted to keep the Super Lazuli part for now.

edit: I also considered "Selamat Pagi" at the end, but figured that wouldn't fit.

edit2: I am an idiot, see edit 1 for why.

• Anonus said:

Does your mother care about this, Läzuli?

What part of it?

Does she care that he makes me do all the chores? Not really. Does she care that he's not looking for a job? Absolutely.

The job thing, but it sucks that you don't get any help.
  • Why is no one saying anythiiiiing.

Oh words, hi Anonus.

Yeah, their relationship is on rocky terms. My stepdad seems to think that my mom is cheating on him with one of her coworkers (LOL) or her (female, in her late sixties) best friend (ahahaha wut). What I'm saying is dude is both lazy and paranoid.

• edited 2012-10-04 01:59:22

I think I know who it is, CA.

(Speaking of which, have you seen my Tumblr yet? /Unrelated)
  • edited 2012-10-04 02:00:40
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ^^ Heh, I figured at least one person would.

I can't remember if I've seen your Tumblr or not. What's your URL?

Dat movie has the toilet scene from Gravity's Rainbow.
    it does?

it DOES???
  • edited 2012-10-04 02:03:09
    @CA: http://rocketverliden.tumblr.com/

Don't know how'd you feel about the theme, I wanted something I thought would fit me.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Oh no, I don't think I saw it. Follow'd!
    ...is that theme Saul Bass-inspired?
  • @CA: http://rocketverliden.tumblr.com/

Don't know how'd you feel about the theme, I wanted something I thought would fit me.

Hey you know things about BattleTech.

I need to get back into that and stuff.

• Thank Barcode from #yackfest for getting me into it.