The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You use those?

Use what?

Also it's not a synth that came with FL, it's just a tone from a sample pack I downloaded forever ago of someone playing a keyboard synthesizer (it sounds very old, might be a Mellotron or some such thing).

• Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    well aren't we just the big serious film connoisseur

just kiddin' I like me some arty films myself
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    I do like the Star Was movies(the main 6, haven't seen any other ones). Clone Wars(the tv show) was okay.

I'm more of an action movie fan myself. Some of the video games movies weren't too bad, IMO. Tomb Raider was fairly good, really. ...Actually, not many were on that level. XD
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I was never really sure what kind of movies I liked...sometimes I worry my tastes in media/entertainment are too broad.
  • My favorite movie is probably Casablanca. Which is a cliche choice, but I just really like it.

I also love Summer Wars, which tends to get derided as the director plagiarizing himself.

• Also it's not a synth that came with FL
    I understood that, just saying that in terms of softsynths, unless you want to do something really filthy/crazy/whatever, keep it simple.
    Use what?
    the controls on the sample whatever. (*Can't remember the name*)
  • Ah, yeah, I don't really use synthesizers in general because I have no idea how they work! :D

Well I sorta do, but not a good enough idea to use one well.

As for the sample controls, I use some. Mostly just stuff I figured out on my own, I know how to change pitch with it, use that FEED knob I referred to earlier, um, I can kinda use the Apreggio or whatever the hell that thing's called, but using it and getting it to make anything that sounds nice are two different things. S'pretty much it. Probably some stuff I'm forgetting.

• As I said, if you want to process a synth/sample/whatever, route it to a bus and use plugins meant for the job.
    My favorite two films are Wrath of Khan and 10 Commandments

The mirth I derive from Wrath of Khan isn't limited just to the film itself, but when I'm at an anime or comic convention and casually say it's the best sci fi movie ever made and await the eventual correction by someone which is almost always and invariably Blade Runner

Then I open one of my six mouths and sing the song to the tune that Blade Runner was a slow-paced boring piece of ass-sucking shit and yes I'm talking about your Criterion Laserdisc Director's Cut

(in all seriousness I did not enjoy Blade Runner one single bit, and the first and only time I ever watched it was the above-stated Director's Cut)
  • Brett Ehrlich doesn't like Blade Runner either, for what it's worth. So you're not alone, Corporal.

As I said, if you want to process a synth/sample/whatever, route it to a bus and use plugins meant for the job.

Noted.

Granted, I have no clue how to do that, but noted anyway.

• edited 2012-07-23 02:18:08

My favourite films are probably The 7 Samurai and Aguirre, The Wrath Of God (*Both are a tad predictable, but I'll stick by them*)

I am the great traitor. There must be no other. Anyone who even thinks
    about deserting this mission will be cut up into 198 pieces. Those
    pieces will be stamped on until what is left can be used only to paint
    walls. Whoever takes one grain of corn or one drop of water... more than
    his ration, will be locked up for 155 years. If I, Aguirre, want the
    birds to drop dead from the trees... then the birds will drop dead from
    the trees. I am the wrath of god. The earth I pass will see me and
    tremble. But whoever follows me and the river, will win untold riches.
    But whoever deserts...

• (in all seriousness I did not enjoy Blade Runner one single bit, and the first and only time I ever watched it was the above-stated Director's Cut)

Directors cut generally means extra bloat, films are edited for a reason.
  • While he was living in North Carolina for his studies in business management, Trevor Reginald Listman, Jr. stumbled upon a uniquely flavored tea at a shop near his college. The tea was of a vague fruit-y flavor that was both tart and sweet, but Listman was never fully sure because the shopkeeper always kept the ingredients secret. Determined to find it, he started to experiment with various blends of black tea and fruit flavorings. Eventually he came up with a solid copy of the shop tea when he used lemon, lime and a touch of berry, but thanks to his newly found recipes of all kinds of new products, Listman was uninterested. Instead, he used his business practices to create a company based around a product completely of his own creation, and he called it, appropriately enough, Trevor's T.

Trevor's T was a success in North Carolina upon its introduction in the 1980s, but Listman had bigger plans for it. He brought the company to Greyson City in 1992 and started shipping nationwide soon after thanks to a strategic partnership with Coca-Cola, who agreed to start manufacturing it as a replacement for their failing Nestea brand. The full US rollout was complete by 1994.

Today, Trevor's T is still a success for Coke and Mr. Listman, who is still in charge of the brand though Coke is now its official owner. Thanks to its secret formula the drink has captivated folks from all over since its humble beginnings in the kitchen of a college student.

Ironically, Trevor Listman III, aka Tre, says the "formula" is just iced tea with cranberry and lemon juices.

Directors cut generally means extra bloat, films are edited for a reason.
    That's what I was thinking too. I was so fucking bored watching that, that I'll never give the original cut a try. 

Blade Runner did give birth to one thing I truly love: the descriptor it gets from everybody everywhere. It's "cerebral." What the fuck is is "cerebral"? I've asked and nobody can answer that. If it's supposed to make you sit there like it's finals week then I'll just pick up a calculus book, thanks
  • "Cerebral" generally means it makes you think about it in an intellectual way. It's not always a good thing.

That said, the original cut of Blade Runner is far more bloated, apparently. The studio made the director add a couple scenes and a bunch of narration, as I understand it.

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

I tend to prefer more serious, "arty" films.

My favourite kind.
  • Cerebral would be something intellectually engaging, something with layers that you have to tease over that aren't immediately apparent.

Idealy a film should be entertaining as well as food for thought, clearly it failed you in the entertainment department.
  • Also, Vangelis is god.

Or at least a splitting image of him.
  • I thought Morgan Freeman was God.

• Aguirre also has the best soundtrack of anything ever.
  • In other news, it's amazing what we can come up with at 2 AM over a simple thing.

I actually did make tea today (with cranberry and lemon, natch), and now I've got a whole piece of Stuck canon out of that.
    Oh, and to pad my film connoisseur cred, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Which I really did love, btw. Had me fucking dying laughing. Especially whenever Oldman's character discovered a scientific truth and it backfired like Looney Tunes' Singing Frog whenever he tried to show it to Roth
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I've never seen Blade Runner, despite all the hype surrounding it, in large part because I'm not big on film noir in general. Just because it's set in THE FUTURE doesn't mean it ain't borrowing heavily from, say, The Maltese Falcon.
  • Listening to Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska.

It's a very stark album, I quite like it.

Man, it's weird watching the older H*R holiday toons; they all have "play this while you wait" preloaders, a sign that they were made at a time when dialup was still common. Now they load so fast that you barely even notice. 

I need to get to bed now. Good night!
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I enjoyed Blade Runner, though I think The Wrath of Kahn is a more entertaining and better film.
  • edited 2012-07-23 03:27:57
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    His last act was to post the link that killed him...I'm not sure if I should  applaud or be appalled.

I remember seeing this somewhere.

I love that they are smoking "Drugs". I guess tobacco just wasn't hard enough to get the point across, they needed to go to the next level of "Drugs" to really hit home.

Also, the negative repercussions seem to be feeling a bit ill. Oh noes!
  • THEY WERE PLAYING SMOKING GAMES AND DRINKING GAMES
  • and dats terribzl
  • Thinking on it, the deaths of lots of these mp3 blogs is sad. The ones run by people REALLY ENTHUSED about the music, who go in and scan all the album art, and put relevant comments about the production of the tracks in the comment section..
  • I'm going to miss Beware of the Blog if it goes away.

Though, I suppose there's a chance that might still stick around, as they tend to host things directly.

• edited 2012-07-23 03:36:38

This is what really gets me
    Latawnya, the youngest horse in her family. While out playing with her
    sisters Latoya and Daisy, they come across some other mares: Connie,
    Chrystal, Jackie and Angie
    I mean, she must have really sat down and went "Hmm, what are the most ghetto names I can give these horses?"
  • so um

I just found out that I was born in the same town as Steve from Blue's Clues.

• In August 2010, the author filed a pro se lawsuit against Amazon.com, Urban Dictionary, and Wikimedia,
    objecting to Amazon's placing the book in their catalog, and Urban
    Dictionary and Wikipedia describing it. The text of the lawsuit is
    riddled with spelling and grammatical errors, and erroneously describes
    Urban Dictionary and Wikimedia as being located at the same geographical
    address.[6]

• "and neither my birth name Sylvia Scott Gibson"

"signed, Sylvia Scott Gibson"

....eh?

• Art Spiegelman, author of Holocaust comic Maus, invented the Ring Pop

what

what

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

• The guy who wrote Maus invented the Ring Pop.

Because the world is weird like that.

• Okay then.

Strange.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I feel like I don't know very much about animation. :/
  • It was reported this week that Chick-Fil-A president Dan Cathy publicly
    declared that Chick-Fil-A is in support of “traditional” marriage and
    family, and that attempting to define marriage in other ways is
    “inviting God’s judgment.” This might mark Chick-Fil-A’s as the first
    anti-gay chicken sandwiches in the nation. In response to the
    Chick-Fil-A statement, other fast food chains quickly voiced their
    positions, gathered in the graphic above.
  • You should take an animation class.

I don't even know if that's a thing, but if it is, and you can find one, you totally should.

• It was reported this week that Chick-Fil-A president Dan Cathy publicly
    declared that Chick-Fil-A is in support of “traditional” marriage and
    family, and that attempting to define marriage in other ways is
    “inviting God’s judgment.” This might mark Chick-Fil-A’s as the first
    anti-gay chicken sandwiches in the nation. In response to the
    Chick-Fil-A statement, other fast food chains quickly voiced their
    positions, gathered in the graphic above.

Link to the graphic please?

Also I find it a shame about that, as Chick-fil-A has amazing waffle fries, but it's not like there are any around here anyway.