General Religion, Mythology, and occult talk

Comments

• edited 2012-06-11 01:51:57
    :|
    Lumine said:

I used to wish I could make myself have Christian beliefs like my family members, but I found it very difficult to convince myself that spiritual stuff was a real thing. :/

Pretend. Live as God would want you to for now and don't worry about whether he actually exists.

Or not. You don't need to be a Christian just because your family is.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Pascal's "meh". :P
  • edited 2012-06-11 02:12:13
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^ And I as well.
  • edited 2012-06-11 02:48:32
    ^^ Good. And it's alright if you get frustrated and you can't be nice all the time. Nobody expects you to be a saint.

Jewish ritual slaughtering is the same method of making something kosher, apparently. 

"Jewish Murder Plan Against White Christians Exposed

The Murderous People: The Jews are under a terrible suspicion the world over, and for good reason. Anyone who does not know this, does not understand the Jewish problem. Anyone who merely see the Jews as "a tribe which secures its existence with exchange and old trousers, and whose uniforms are the long noses," is being misled. But anyone who knows the monstrous accusation which has been raised against the jews since the beginning of time, will view these people in a different light. He will begin to see not only a peculiar, strangely fascinating nation; but criminals, murderers, and devils in human form. He will be filled with holy anger and hatred against these people of Satan. (John 8:44)"
    The Murderous People: The Jews are under a terrible suspicion the world over, and for good reason. Anyone who does not know this, does not understand the Jewish problem. Anyone who merely see the Jews as "a tribe which secures its existence with exchange and old trousers, and whose uniforms are the long noses," is being misled. But anyone who knows the monstrous accusation which has been raised against the jews since the beginning of time, will view these people in a different light. He will begin to see not only a peculiar, strangely fascinating nation; but criminals, murderers, and devils in human form. He will be filled with holy anger and hatred against these people of Satan. (John 8:44)"

Huh, I wonder what the rest of the site is li...OH JESUS DICK!
  • edited 2012-06-11 02:33:37
    That's a shitload of wat.

EDIT: HA HA HA, OH WOW:

• edited 2012-06-11 02:43:39
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

That image is just great, but it's merely the icing on the crazy cake. The whole web-site looks like some Jedi are fighting in a pitch black field while Jesus looks on and prays to God they all don't get abducted. 
    Justice42 said:

This is how I feel. All the time.
  • edited 2012-06-11 02:40:30
    ^^ I wouldn't know, I could only stand to look at that site for 5 seconds.

A second trip reveals:

Sananda

AKA Sananda Esu
    (Jesus) - Immanuel
    - Sananda Jesus - Jmmanuel

In New Age writings Sananda
    was always a lesser of the Masters. The "Masters" they refer
    to are the leaders known as the Ashtar Command. Hatonn and
    Maitreya were the chiefs of the leaders.

According to the plans of the
    Great White Brotherhood (Illuminati) and the New Age Maitreya was the one who was
    supposed to come to earth as "god" and sit as chief of the
    Global New World Order. However due to our resistance and
    war against him with our Orgone we were able to cause his
    star ship to catch fire...Maitreya is now AWOL and no one
    has heard from him since last year (2011) with this causing
    a catastrophic
    crises in their plans, they must now replace Maitreya and
    have chosen Sananda to come as the dominant master.

Listen to my broadcasts in 2009
    about Maitreya's alien Star Ship called the  Shema Star

DMT: Not Even Once.

"Just Who or What is ANONYMOUS?

They claim they are "legion" similar  to John 8:30 where a "legion" of demons possesses a man...they use symbols in their videos of devil horns on their heads, and the "V" sign, which in occultism represents "Victory for Satan"...

The Truth about Anonymous 

An analysis of  the images and symbols used by the group known as “ANONYMOUS” and to understand the implications of the messages encoded within their logos and communications.

http://disinfobahn.wordpress.com/2011/09/26/esoteric-analysis-of-anonymous-iconography/

Listen to the problem-solution..they suggest Frontier Justice (against the bankers) and a Cosmic Intrusion from forces (they won't speculate on)...then he says the second solution channels through the first...in other words the people are being guided and led by the Cosmic forces to start 'street justice' against the bankers...told ya they were working the "Alien New Age" agenda.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=z1vpEcebYBg"

• JHM said:

Justice42 said:

This is how I feel. All the time.
    Pretty much.
  • edited 2012-06-11 04:34:45
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    If anyone wants to see what that out-of-context Bible reference looks like in-context, here's a helpful reader link. In-context, it's part of a defense against Jesus' naysayers, not an indictment of all Jews.

Also, Osaka is the best and I still love her after all these years. (The anime will be 10 this year!)
  • edited 2012-06-11 06:43:42
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'm not saying people don't put their beliefs through wringers and think about what they believe.

I'm not saying that people look at scripture like menus and order up a plate of juicy infant baptism or a cup of reincarnation.

I'm saying that choice is difficult and complicated, and it meshes in psychological things we don't understand even now, but it's still a choice.
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    It turns out that holy books from other religions are even harder to read through than your own holy book.

I'm not saying people don't put their beliefs through wringers and think about what they believe.

I'm not saying that people look at scripture like menus and order up a plate of juicy infant baptism or a cup of reincarnation.

I'm saying that choice is difficult and complicated, and it meshes in psychological things we don't understand even now, but it's still a choice.
    That doesn't carry the same meaning to me as what you said earlier (not that this is an accusation). I'd consider this a pretty important aspect of belief in which the practitioners are ultimately personally responsible (at least partially) for their own behaviors. I think many religions probably would agree with this, too, as "personal choice" is a pretty handy thing to have, if one wants to justify any sort of rewards/punishment system.

Claus said:

It turns out that holy books from other religions are even harder to read through than your own holy book.

It's funny, as dense as one finds their own holy book, at least they're likely to have a decent frame of reference for it. Were's another Religions holy book is likely to be full of vocabulary and perhaps a few concepts that are completely foreign to the reader.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    it's never a surprise that Osaka ends up in any given religious discussion

I'm usually pretty used to the bizarre myths of religions, but the not so much the new-agey Christian/Illuminati/Reptilian conspiracy theorists (who also think Jews are evil).
  • edited 2012-06-11 13:03:22
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Also...I have to wonder where all the hate for the UN and other diplomatic groups came from. From all the alarmist, frenzied screaming you hear from certain corners, you'd think that they were SEELE and were planning to turn us all into Tang. :P
    Well, the UN lost a lot of its charm whenever the Warsaw Pact was dustbinned. 
  • edited 2012-06-11 13:28:28
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I think it's more just "Big scary organizations!  What are they up to?"

I.E. fear of the unknown and distrust of authority figures, but amplified by paranoia and a tendency to confuse speculation with fact.

Ah, OK.  Then yes, I agree with this, I think.

I feel that making the choice to accept that which seems best or truest generally means exercising careful judgement.  "Pick and choose" made me think of, like you say, looking at scripture like a menu.

I don't know, though... I believe in choice, but there are some things you don't really choose, aren't there?  I don't think I could deliberately change my religion right now even if I wanted to.  I'd be lying to myself if I did.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Every action is a choice, barring things such as madness. It's just that sometimes the other action seems unthinkable, that it seems like no choice at all.

But it is. It always is.

That said, it's kind of funny how in a few short months I went from "The world is not fair, but just" to "The world is not just, but can be."
    lee4hmz said:

Also, Osaka is the best and I still love her after all these years. (The anime will be 10 this year!)
    She's the best part of that show, and it's really fun show. So yes, I agree. Also, her thought patterns remind me rather unsettlingly of my own.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

All hail Osaka.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    So. . . I think beloved comics page feline and king of comedy “Garfield” is a bakeneko. Shocking, I know. Here is my evidence:

According to Japanese folklore, a cat may become a bakeneko by meeting any of the following three conditions:
    -Living over ten years of age.

Check
    -Reaching one kan (3.75 kg or 8.25 lbs) in weight
    Big Check

Once transformed, bakeneko gain a range of paranormal powers. These powers are used to haunt the household they live in. They include:
    -menacing (even eating) sleeping humans

That’s a check.

-walking on its hind legs.

HMM.

-They may use their shape-shifting powers to live a life as a human would normally 

-… sometimes by taking the place of a member of the household after killing and consuming them in their sleep.

Bakeneko also have the ability to eat anything in their way, regardless of size

or edibility.

Bakeneko are also sometimes said to have the power to enter someone’s dreams.

The evidence is all right there, people. Garfield is a godless youkai and must be exterminated. Fuck you Garfield.

This whole post up until this point was copypasted from a thread on SA, just to let you guys know.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    LYMAN

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

http://www.amazon.com/Mythology-Visual-Reference-Guides-Wilkinson/dp/1435121287

"Maya myths, and the complex Mayan calendar, also persist among the highland Maya today, such as the Tzotzil-speaking Zinacantecs, who believe this world is a cube, resting on the shoulders of the Four-Corner gods;.."

But what shape do they think time is?
    Justice42 said:

But what shape do they think time is?

4 balls

1 cliff

...What?

Welcome to Rich's Pegopedia. The following is a sampling of my research into the legends and uses of the mythical winged horse. Over the years I have compiled a fairly exhaustive list of winged horses, which I call "pterippi" (a word I coined meaning "winged horses" in Greek). It is my hope that you enjoy this information as much as I did researching it. Upon request I will try to supply what resources I can. 

WHAT?!

Aaragorn

the Winged Horse. Originally the mount of the third Black Knight (Dane Whitman), a hero of Marvel Comics and a member of the Avengers. Later, he was given to Brunhilda an Asgardian Valkyrie, and now lives in Asgard with the other winged horses of the Valkyrior. The Black Knight eventually took up with the bat-winged steed called Valinor. NOTE: The names "Aaragorn" and "Strider" are thought to have been inspired by the Aragorn from the J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy. Aragorn was the lost King of Gondor, who returns in "The Return of the King." His brother is Faramir, and they are both Rangers. Frodo meets him in the inn at Bree, but knows him as Strider. (See: Strider, Valinor). 

Abatos

(See: Plutonian).

Abraxas

(See: Eoan).

AEthion

(See: Heliosian).

Aeton

(See: Plutonian).

Aganippe the Night-Mare

. A dark female winged horse which pre-dates Pegasus said to be "the mare who destroys mercifully." Some say she was actually an aspect of the Earth-goddess Demeter (Ceres) in a lunar depiction where she punished the evil with dreams of terror (possibly an alliterative form of the English word "agony" which refers to 'intense mental or physical pain'). Despite this trait, her name actually means "the Gentle Mare" which recalls that, when she was not carrying out some form of retribution, she was very good natured. A possible origin to this aspect of the usually good-natured Demeter is derived from her rape at the hands of her brother Poseidon. After fleeing his advances and transforming into a mare, and while still mounted by the similarly transformed Sea-god, she fled in humiliation and outrage from Olympus. Taking on the aspect of a Fury, she was also called Erinnys. Finally, Zeus intervened and convinced her to return to Olympus. According to another version, Aganippe was actually one of the resultant offspring sired from the union of Poseidon and Demeter, and that she and her brother (in the form of a pterocentaur) birthed the race of Magnete centaurs. Aganippe is also the name of a fountain of Pegasus and the Muses. (See: Areion, Hippocrene, Magnetes).

Huh...well...at least he's thorough. 

• i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

which I call "pterippi" (a word I coined meaning "winged horses" in Greek)

a word I coined

meaning "winged horses" in Greek

Yeah, the intro is bizarre, but the content seems sound enough 

"Unicorn the Horned Lion-goat. The legendary first unicorn was called Unicornis (Monoceros). The typical depiction of a horse-like unicorn is not true to its legendary form. The unicorn is actually part goat and part lion. Possessing the body, goatee, fetlocks and cloven hooves of a goat, and the tail of a lion, with a single long spiral-grooved horn rising from its forehead. Some authors tell of two distinct species of western unicorn: the horse-like Hippoceros and the gigantic goat-like Elisserion. The goddess Artemis (Diana) is said to be their protectress and mistress, and because of their attachment to the moon, virgins and hunting, a team of eight unicorns are said to often drive Artemis' moon-chariot across the night sky. Legend teaches that unicorns are strong, yet shy, elusive and secretive by nature. As spiritual beasts they are sensitive to the souls of humans. Usually impossible to capture, they can be lured and snared by the innocence of a virgin maiden. Hunters were said to trade a lifetime of hunting just to catch a glimpse of a unicorn, or better yet, to catch one and cut off its horn, whose properties were said to have magical powers. The horn could purify the body of water it was immersed into, if ground up and used in medicines, it would protect the user from evil. The horn, as a phallic symbol, was said to increase the libido, virility and fertility of any male possessing it. The Unicorn was said to live in he most remote and loneliest place in the world (some believe that to be Tibet high in the Himalayan Mountains). As in western culture where the answer the child's query, "Where do babies come from?" the answer refers to a fable concerning storks, in eastern culture, the fable is of a unicorn carrying the infant to it's mother. The unicorn is also the mortal enemy of the elephant and can fight as furiously as a bull. Aside from being a symbol of chastity and purity, the unicorn symbolizes good health and fierce strength. In Christian lore, the unicorn is a symbol of Christ as the Healer. The unicorn is a favored symbol in heraldry and is occasionally depicted with additional physical features such as the Maricorn or Almaricorn. (See: Alicorn, Karkadann, Jacchus, Maricorn, Monoceros, Sin-you, Qi lin)."

Interesting stuff, though I noted "My Little Pony" only got one single mention. Considering he dragged up an obscure as hell Marvel character, I am disappoint.
  • edited 2012-06-29 14:02:36

"USS Pegasus the Lost Starship. In the television series STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION in the episode called "The Pegasus" we learned that Commander William Riker's very first duty assignment out of Starfleet Academy was aboard the USS Pegasus under the command of Captain Erik Pressman. This ship was lost in space and the facts surrounding its mysterious disappearance were classified. What had truly happened concerned a breach of Federation policy which, according the Treaty of Algerian with the Romulans, forbade the secret installation and testing of a captured Romulan Cloaking Device. The USS Pegasus could not maintain it's integrity and phased partially into a solid asteroid killing most of the crew. This illegal activity and subsequent cover-up were finally exposed when, now Admiral Pressman pushed to use the USS Enterprise-D to secretly recover the remains of the USS Pegasus."

OK, THIS warranted being put on your page but no you didn't bother to call out individual My Little Ponies?

It looks like this hasn't been updated in a while, but you could at least throw out "Surprise" and "Firefly".
  • edited 2012-06-29 14:02:21

"Cerapter the Winged Unicorn. The Greek name for a flying unicorn (Latin: Alicorn) combining the Greek words ceros meaning "horn" and pteros meaning "wing." (See: Alicorn, Unipeg)."

"Flutterby the Magical Winged Filly in the stories by Stephen Cosgrove and Robin James. A Serendipity Book character in three books published by Price Stern Sloan, Inc. Flutterby began her life in a chrysalis in the magical land of Wingsong. Originally she was the size of a Monarch butterfly or sparrow, eventually growing to the size of a miniature horse. In adulthood, driven by loneliness, Flutterby left the magic of Wingsong and flew to the mortal world where she happened upon a herd of miniature horses. A sacred bond of love united her with the leader of the herd, the mortal stallion Black-Eyed Pete, and the little winged foal, Glitterby Baby was the fruit of their union. (See: Glitterby Baby)."

Oh hey, that explains some things...

You know, if they guy went back, went on a wiki-walk, and spent about a day updating this stuff with Mt little Pony entries and got rid of "The 90s just crapped this out" look, I might be modestly popular. 
  • edited 2012-06-29 14:09:45

It's all fascinating mythological horse posts from here on out, folks:
    "Maricorn the Sea-Unicorn. Seen primarily in heraldry, this strange composite creature and it's cousin the Almaricorn (the winged sea-unicorn) is relatively obscure in mythology so very little is known about it. It has the upper body, including the forelegs, of a unicorn and its hind portion is a fishta"

Papillequine the Butterfly-winged Horse. A pterippus with the gossamer wings of a butterfly or faery, instead of the feathery wings of a bird or the leathery wings of a bat. Some depictions include two antennae rising from their foreheads just above the eyes. Like the Arthurian Papillon, they also breathe fire, have cloven hooves and a long tail. Also called a Hippolepidopterus.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

a unicorn with butterfly wings that breathes fire

this is the best thing

a unicorn with butterfly wings that breathes fire

this is the best thing

pretty sure I came up with this as an MLP OC first

I'll sue (FBI is on their way)
  • Odradek said:

So. . . I think beloved comics page feline and king of comedy “Garfield” is a bakeneko. Shocking, I know. Here is my evidence:

According to Japanese folklore, a cat may become a bakeneko by meeting any of the following three conditions:
    -Living over ten years of age.

Check
    -Reaching one kan (3.75 kg or 8.25 lbs) in weight
    Big Check

Once transformed, bakeneko gain a range of paranormal powers. These powers are used to haunt the household they live in. They include:
    -menacing (even eating) sleeping humans

That’s a check.

-walking on its hind legs.

HMM.

-They may use their shape-shifting powers to live a life as a human would normally 

-… sometimes by taking the place of a member of the household after killing and consuming them in their sleep.

Bakeneko also have the ability to eat anything in their way, regardless of size

or edibility.

Bakeneko are also sometimes said to have the power to enter someone’s dreams.

The evidence is all right there, people. Garfield is a godless youkai and must be exterminated. Fuck you Garfield.

This whole post up until this point was copypasted from a thread on SA, just to let you guys know.

I've actually heard this particular theory (or similar) more than once.

It's almost as popular in ironic Garfield fan circles as "Garfield is actually dying"

you came up with a my little pony oc

before an ancient greek mythological creature

Yes, now the FBI needs to make a time machine.

you came up with a my little pony oc

before an ancient greek mythological creature

well I copyrighted it you see

pretty sure ancient greece didn't have a modern copyright office so clearly all rights belong to me

"The Sin-you, (Also called Hiai Chai, Chiai Tung, or Kai Tsi) is a mythical Chinese chimerical creature known throughout various East Asian cultures, and is often compared to the Qilin.

The appearance of the Sin-you is similar to that of a Qilin, but more feral and imposing. It is a large quadruped with a feline or ovine body, a shaggy mane, and is either depicted with hooves or feline paws (the latter often to stress its difference from the Qilin). In has a single, unbranching horn in the center of its head, like a western unicorn. The Sin-you’s eyes are said to be very intense and imposing, figuratively burning into whomever it gazes at in a predatory fashion.

The Sin-you is highly symbolic of justice, and is believed to have the power to know if a person is lying or know if they are guilty with a glance. It sometimes depicted at court beside the ruler or judge: if a person told a falsehood in its presence, it would leap forward and impale the perjurer though the heart with its horn. In other instances, the judge would put convicted murderers before the Sin-you, who would slay them in the same fashion if they were truly the perpetrator, but leave the innocent unharmed."

If you find yourself in a Chinese court and the judge has a frickin' Lion maned Unicorn besides him, you better damn well tell the truth!

• Because Jesus and Electro House go great together.

Jesus appears to be a Waterbender...amongst other things.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    There was a bishop named Lucifer? And Sardinians venerate him as a saint?
  • ^^^ How very 2007.
  • Gryphon said:

"Lucifer" seems to be a pretty popular name among some sects.

No idea why.

Interesting that he'd even be named that. Lucifer had started to be synonyms with the Devil roughly a century before his birth, but maybe that still wasn't enough time for it to catch on everywhere. 
  • edited 2012-07-04 03:06:05

http://www.hiscoffeeco.com/jesus-coffee-me/

Life has a habit of just running away (or over us!) before we know it. Minutes turn into hours, hours become days and as quick as a blink, months have passed, while that regular prayer time we promised ourselves has become all too rare. We know it would be a very good thing,to carve out a little time, especially in the morning, to read some scripture or a meditation about our spiritual journey.

But it seems like all we have time for is the usual morning rush. Out the door and out of time, we grab our very necessary cup of coffee … and then … and then … wait a minute!

That’s it! 

If I prayed, read scripture and meditated while I enjoyed my morning cup of coffee, I would rarely ever miss a day of praying, because, quite honestly, I almost never start a day without coffee. It takes about 10 minutes to drink a cup of coffee (20 minutes on a good day!), and what I usually read or look at is pretty useless anyway.

Jesus, Coffee and Me … 

it could work.

Prayer

:  Lord, I want to know you better, and live my life in accord with your perfect will. As I enter into a new day, please join me for a cup of coffee. With your grace Lord, I will stop long enough each day to listen to your voice and follow your ways. Amen.

Huh...as odd as it is to start selling coffee as a way to maintain a decent prayer schedule, it's not like this person is trying to sell me on Aliens and Space Jesus...and their web-site doesn't make my eyes bleed. 

I might have to buy a bag or two, someday, to see if any of the blends get me closer to God.