General Religion, Mythology, and occult talk

Comments

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    ....But either way it means exactly the same thing.
    I guess so.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • edited 2012-08-09 16:11:07
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    ....But either way it means exactly the same thing.

^That's a lot of camels... 

Sucks to be that dude.
  • Odradek said:

Cheatinngggg
  • edited 2012-08-09 17:15:30

http://www.opb.org/thinkoutloud/shows/youth-and-religion/

The interview is available for download.

12:20, The guy straight up says he's not "interested in turning people into theists", other parts make it sound like he's not a Christian Atheist, but it sounds like he's fine with the idea since it still has the "Christ" part. 
  • edited 2012-08-09 19:15:19
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Speaking of that, I think I've come to the realization that I'm a Christian apatheist. 

Or something like that.

Which Jesus is better?
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Hmmm, no comment, except, yeah, the Republican party does take the teachings of the Bible in a strange direction.

In their defense there are verses that can be used to support their positions. Now, that doesn't mean these verses always mean what they think they mean. 
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Justice42 said:

Hmmm, no comment, except, yeah, the Republican party does take the teachings of the Bible in a strange direction.

In their defense there are verses that can be used to support their positions. Now, that doesn't mean these verses always mean what they think they mean. 
    The Democrats do the same thing, cherry picking points out of the Bible to bolster their argument of which that comic above has a few examples of. People who accept the first point as the Bible's final say on sexual immorality should avoid reading Corinthians. The next one, regarding alcohol and drugs, is hardly the best scripture to make his point. That quote from Jesus there was regarding the manner of how and what he and his disciples were eating food when the pharisees showed up to knock him down a few pegs -- why he didn't use the water-to-wine incident instead is beyond me. The rest are pretty much dead-on.

I'm not as familiar with the the arguments the Democrats use as they don't resort to using Bible verses as much, but I agree Republicans aren't the only ones who do this trick.

The picture up there was just clearly leaning more towards "Republican Jesus". 
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • Now with comic sans and an extra heaping helping of no1currrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

It can battle this site:

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    jesus-is-savior.com is the king of 'em all

Seriously, some of that stuff disturbs me

Sick Dehumanist Society Wants Weak Babies Dead

Abortion is murder! (Exodus 20:13)

If God could hear the voice of Abel's blood crying out to Him from the ground (Genesis 4:10), do you suppose God has missed the cries of those 50,000,000 infants who've beenbutchered in America since 1973?

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I warned you bro

I told you about jesus-is-savior.com

WOLVES IN SHEEP'S CLOTHING!!!

“Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.” 

Matthew 7:15 

The New International Perversion removes the word "begotten" from John 3:16.  Therefore, the NIV goes into my garbage pail!

THE BIBLE  The King James Bible is God's inspired and preserved Word in English today. Beware of the Satanic counterfeits!!! Why Use the NIV?

Heaven forbid (no pun intended) people think maybe we should try to make the Bible easier to read as language continues to change or we take another crack at translating when more archaeological evidence is available.

...And what's up with the Pope? Catholics are fine with the New International Version, but I think they're much more likely to go with the Revised Standard Edition or some such.
  • The Modernized Incorrect Version is the only true version, you heathen scum.
    This is one of the things I get into arguments about with my fellow Southern Baptists. Some of them are adamant that the only Bible that is the correct bible is the KJV in all its near-unreadable Elizabethan glory. I point out to them the Tanakh which is the entire Old Testament translated directly from the source, and not the Vulgate -> Douay -> .... ->  Wycliff path that the KJV took. For the New Testament, I prefer the Open Bible translation. To insist on the old KJV smacks of the same obstinate, useless traditionalism that we openly criticize Catholicism for. 

Speaking of which, I picked up what is apparently some sort of Douay Confraternity Hybrid Edition of the Bible at Goodwill for ~$5.

It's the first Catholic Bible I've owned, and I'll probably use it to read the books the Catholics include as canon. Depending on the translation, it slips into that sort of Elizabethan English that the KJV uses, though not quite as often. 
  • I have a very ornate Catholic Bible that was given to me as a "gift" when I was baptized. Also has my entire family tree on my mother's side in it, and several pictures of then-Pope John-Paul II. There's apparently a company that makes custom Bibles, which is where it's from.

My grandmother, despite being a Wiccan, collects Bibles (or more accurately, holy scriptures in general, but most of them are Bibles). She has an Ethiopian Bible. It is awesome.

Hooray for Enoch! 

Well...the parts that the Ethiopians thought where worth including, not necessarily the mind numbing parts about how many days should be in a year.

This Bible has a photo of Pope Paul VI:

Other photos of him seem to be more flattering, but he kinda looks like a Catholic Vampire to me in this one.

I...erm...stand corrected....maybe.

• One! One member of zeh holy trinity.

TWO! Two members of zeh holy trinity!

THREE! Three members of zeh holy trinity!

hah! hah! hah! hah!

That's a perfect caption for Pope Paul VI up there...

Managed to get a Bible study in with my Jehovah Witness buddy and the old guy who lives here who will be my new study guide since I moved (yeah, I'm all over the map with my religious studies, but that should be obvious by now).

Apparently my buddy had a pretty interesting study season with someone who he said is kinda flaky and often misses their sessions. The dude asked my Jehovah Witness buddy if he minded if he "smoked some weed" while they studied.

My buddy wasn't sure how to answer that...

I think I'd have trouble concentraiting if I got high while trying to discuss the implications of living in the "End Times" and God's coming eternal Kingdom...

Hmmmm....possibly, but I'm thinking more likely Portland stonner looking for religion.

Maybe next time I see my buddy, I'll ask if the guy had dreads or was listening to Bob Marley.
  • Actually, most "real" Rasta don't care much for Bob Marley.

People tend to forget that Rasta's a rather...violent religion, in theology if nothing else. People tend to focus on the "smoke weed e'rry day" aspect.

• edited 2012-08-13 03:03:52

Someone needs to explain to...well I was going to say the "jesus-is-savior.com" people, but really, ALL of these horrible HTML crashes, that you don't need to have every link and topic right on the front page.

Still, there are some gems , here:

"Who can find a virtuous woman?  for her price is far above rubies." -Proverb 31:10

Women used to be ladies, but today the opposite is true! America has become a nation of whores and feminists!Feminism is also the religion fuelinglesbianism.

Reclaiming theRainbow for God!

God Hasn't Lifted His Ban Against Walt Disney!

Beware of Chick Tracts! 

Wow...where to even begin. 

OK well, the rainbow thing and the women are all whores and feminist things at least make sense to me in regards to what Bible verses I'm going to read if I click on those links. I mean, this is the first I've seen of the "We're taking rainbows back" crusade, but at least I can comprehend where they're coming from.

Kinda disappointed they didn't even BOTHER to quote Genesis though, the link just goes to a few standard verses that tend to pop-up whenever a group is mad at the gays and they're just sort of claiming the rainbow without so much as a verse justifying it.

Genesis 9:13

New International Version (NIV)

13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth.

This translation clearly picked for it is the most evil of all translations.

There! Was that so hard?
  • edited 2012-08-13 03:04:53

Now, onto the weird...

Apparently Disney has done some incredibly vague...things...

In 1997, the SBC launched its boycott. It adopted a resolution urging Southern Baptists to "refrain from patronizing The Disney Company and any of its related entities." The resolution said, "The Disney Company has not only ignored our concerns, but flagrantly furthered this moral digression in its products and policies." It accused the Disney Company of "increasingly promoting immoral ideologies … which are biblically reprehensible and abhorrent to God."

Could you maybe be more specific? Especially considering your link to the source is broken. I have no idea if you think Disney is advocating some form of tolerance that you guys hate or if Donald drove a flaming car through a Church and laughed maniacally as he pissed on the ashes...

And Chick tracts?! Do you just hate everyone? It's bad enough that your enemies list is so huge it's hard to remember everyone to be mad at, but now you're adding potential allies to it as well.

Jack Chick plainly teaches in every Chick Track that faith in Jesus Christ is insufficient to save unless you are willing to cease from your sins. That is works salvation!!! Mr. Chick puts the cart before the horse, demanding a willingness to change as a qualifying prerequisite to faith in Christ. That is a back door approach to Lordship Salvation.

I'm not usually one to stand up for Mr. Chick, but I mean, even Luther had to reconcile his teachings with James 2:24.

You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

They continue...

Chick Tracts seem to have a different answer than the Bible to the question, "What must I do to be saved?"

Surrender your life to Christ? That's Lordship Salvation!

Whaaa....but you just said...I mean... precisely how is Mr. Chick supposed to organize this stuff?

What a foolish doctrine! Lordship Salvation is the false teaching that a sinner MUST cease (or be willing to cease) from a sinful lifestyle to be saved. No such hellish doctrine is taught in the Word of God. A changed life is the FRUIT of genuine repentance; and not a part of the ROOT of saving-faith. The change is the FRUIT, the result, of repentance; not repentance itself.

OK, yeah that's how Luther reconciled with James 2:24, but I don't think Mr. Chick is as far off the mark as your angry white and neon on black web pages say he is...

Wow, this place makes me want to go back to Orgone Blasters and Reptilians...
  • In 1997, the SBC launched its boycott. It adopted a resolution urging Southern Baptists to "refrain from patronizing The Disney Company and any of its related entities." The resolution said, "The Disney Company has not only ignored our concerns, but flagrantly furthered this moral digression in its products and policies." It accused the Disney Company of "increasingly promoting immoral ideologies … which are biblically reprehensible and abhorrent to God."

Jack Chick plainly teaches in every Chick Track that faith in Jesus Christ is insufficient to save unless you are willing to cease from your sins. That is works salvation!!! Mr. Chick puts the cart before the horse, demanding a willingness to change as a qualifying prerequisite to faith in Christ. That is a back door approach to Lordship Salvation.
    You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.
    Chick Tracts seem to have a different answer than the Bible to the question, "What must I do to be saved?"
    Surrender your life to Christ? That's Lordship Salvation!
       What a foolish doctrine! Lordship Salvation is the false teaching that a sinner MUST cease (or be willing to cease) from a sinful lifestyle to be saved. No such hellish doctrine is taught in the Word of God. A changed life is the FRUIT of genuine repentance; and not a part of the ROOT of saving-faith. The change is the FRUIT, the result, of repentance; not repentance itself..

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Wow, this person needs their meds. :P

Also, Vulgate->Douay->Wycliffe? That's one hell of a game of Telephone there...

Not sure if that site is affiliated with any Church, but the Disney thing continues to call out one of the Baptists Church for lifting the boycott on Disney after eight years.

I'd tell you WHICH Baptist church if I could access the site, but my work site blocker is preventing me:

Your organization's Internet use policy restricts access to this web page at this time.

imageimage

Reason: 

The Websense category "Racism and Hate" is filtered.

I find this hilarious considering I can still access all kinds of nonsense about orgone blasters, reptilians, and space Jesus courtesy of Sherry Shriner's sites, but my work draws the line at jesus-is-savior.com.
    lee4hmz said:

Wow, this person needs their meds. :P

Also, Vulgate->Douay->Wycliffe? That's one hell of a game of Telephone there...

Actually I think it's more than that. For the most part, even through each of those translations, the bread and butter of the book made it intact all the way to the KJV, but that's no excuse to insist on a vernacular that was long outdated even by Jane Austen's time. It's as silly as being only able to understand English and attending a Latin mass. I don't know what the hell you're saying, but preach it brother
  • If I had any sort of religious inclinations, that'd be the sort of thing I'd be interested in.
  • The Illuminati have nurtured a child, Satan’s son, who was born on 6
    June 1966 at the Dakota House on 72nd Street in New York to Jacqueline
    Kennedy Onassis of the Rothschild/Kennedy families. The Pope was present
    at the birth and performed necromantic ceremonies. The child was raised
    by former U.S. president Richard Nixon and now lives in Belgium.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    LaVeyan satanism is almost entirely about eliciting a reaction from people by telling them you're a satanist, and the rest is dressing up and giving a title to what the average person does anyway. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LaVeyan satanism is almost entirely about eliciting a reaction from people by telling them you're a satanist, and the rest is dressing up and giving a title to what the average person does anyway. 

That sounds fun actually.

That sounds fun actually.
    You know how every teenager jokes about how they want to dress up in dark robes and don a pentagram necklace and wield a ceremonial magic dagger whenever Watchtower/Mormons/Etc come knocking at their door? It's basically the same thing except 24/7 and people avoid you entirely
  • edited 2012-08-26 00:45:25
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

You know, I don't usually say this about terrorists, but there's something about this guy I just like.

Can't put my finger on it.

it's the beard

chicks dig the beard

You know, I don't usually say this about terrorists, but there's something about this guy I just like.

Can't put my finger on it.

[serious question] Is he an actual terrorist?