The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    *hugs Clock*
  • edited 2012-06-27 00:54:21
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Im reading the Ordinary's Account from Tyburn Prison, and wow, 17th-century England would kill you for some of the most petty things! And then they'd be all smarmy and passive-aggressive about it, too.
    So what's with the guava juice thread
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I fucked up the category, that's what. -_-

Try it now.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Weirdest looking lion ever.
    I vaguely remember some other ad in that magazine from around that time...not sure what it was for, some software or other...but it basically consisted of a picture of a swimsuit-clad woman walking by a pool.

I was like, really subtle there guys...
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Ugh, I ran out of blood pressure medication a week ago and now my chest feels all tense...I'm probably just imagining things, but UGH.
  • edited 2012-06-27 01:10:07
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ^^You take that?

Are you all right?
    Clocky has a big heart.
    Anonus said:

^^You take that?

Are you all right?

I hope so. Thanks for you concern.

I texted mother about the medication, so she should see it when she gets up...actually, I should see if there are any refills left; I might as well just call it into the pharmacy if there are.
  • Clocky has a big heart.

You should see it at christmas. It grows 3 times that day.
  • edited 2012-06-27 01:30:40
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    July is pretty soon. That means CHRISTMAS
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • But Jesus was born in July!

• edited 2012-06-27 01:36:17
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Christmas is whenever I say it is.

^You tell 'em Big J
  • Clocky has a big heart.

You should see it at christmas. It grows 3 times that day.
    Yeah, well my heart grows 3 times every single day of the year
    ...shouldn't it have exploded by now?
    with the sleeping
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Good night Imi.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help!_Mom!_There_Are_Liberals_Under_My_Bed

Guys.

This exists.

I'll take "Things that will make your kids hate you as an adult for $1,000, Alex"

I wouldn't wish either that or the liberal books on any child.

Justice42 said:

Unless Fouria G was talking about the Irish art show...

Never heard of it, so nope.

(I've never actually watched The View, I just felt like shitposting)
    Every post about The View is a shit post.

BURN!
  • edited 2012-06-27 03:27:32
    :|

I vaguely remember some other ad in that magazine from around that time...not sure what it was for, some software or other...but it basically consisted of a picture of a swimsuit-clad woman walking by a pool.

I was like, really subtle there guys...

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Finally! I've been looking for a way to give myself a hernia and make my death look like a tragic, freak electrocution accident!

• Has anyone in the history of mankind

ever

at any point in time

used a desktop computer

by the motherfucking pool?

...one of the things I focused on was the tight-not-touching spacing in "Who's keeping up with Commodore?" and "Keeping up with you.".
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Goad Moaning.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    hi
    Hi Wind Fish.
  • edited 2012-06-27 05:27:37

'Sup, Fishy?

I tried to play Bulletstorm today, but uh...
    "To play this game, you must sign into your Games for Windows Live account."
    Someone please pinch me so I can get out of this nightmare.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Justice42 said:
    I'll take "Things that will make your kids hate you as an adult for $1,000, Alex"

I wouldn't wish either that or the liberal books on any child.

That book was probably written in response to "Why Mommy Is a Democrat", which is equally horrible. Both are appeals to children over things that they don't know any better for -- for example, "Mommy is a democrat because she thinks everyone deserves a happy life." Hell, what kid outside of 4 year old Monty Burns wouldn't want that? As a kid, they'll wonder why in the hell anyone wouldn't want to be a Democrat or Republican because they were presented with one side of an issue that they can't even begin to understand yet, and that's simply inexcusable. 
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^ You've hit the nail on the head, I think; that is how party loyalist adults often think, and I suspect was the mentality that produced both books.  When you reduce your opponents to political caricatures, which both Republicans and Democrats are frequently guilty of doing, it does become difficult to see why anyone would want to oppose you.  Voting Republican/Democrat becomes "doing the Right Thing" and everybody wants their children to do the Right Thing, hence writing and promoting black-and-white, one-sided presentations of complex political situations.

This is still the best version of this logo. Nothing beats the original.
    It's definitely the most memorable and distinctive one they've used.
  • edited 2012-06-27 09:09:39
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Honestly, there really isn't a state where one can "think independently" because by-and-large children always either follow elements of their parents beliefs or react to said beliefs. Their systems, like-it-or-not, are going to mold their offspring in unpredictable, uncontrollable ways, but mold it it does.

Too often is the rallying cry of "Why can't you think for yourself?" actually a plea that asks "Why can't you think like me?"
    You're not raising your kid in a cultural vacuum, so some level of cultural indoctrination is inevitable.  Indoctrination lies as much in what is unsaid or only hinted at than in what is verbally articulated; to some extent it's unavoidable.

And I think we can cut parents some slack because parenting isn't easy.  You have a lot of difficult decisions to make in terms of how you're going to raise your child.  Do you raise them to follow a religion, for instance?  How should you approach family/ethnic traditions?  How should you approach the matter of gender?  How much discipline is necessary or desired?  How much TV is too much?  And so on.

Too often is the rallying cry of "Why can't you think for yourself?" actually a plea that asks "Why can't you think like me?"

No, you see, if they thought for themselves, they would think like me, an enlightened and free-thinking 21st century individual.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Enlightenment is overrated.
    I'm here for my first day of work...I'm much too early so I thought I would wait in the car a few minutes.

I'm nervous...
  • edited 2012-06-27 10:32:52
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Good luck CA!
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Good luck, CA! I hope everything goes smoothly.

This is the volunteer work you were looking for, isn't it?
  • *drags a sofa into the hangout and lies down on it*
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    The amount of spite that went into these books is also hilariously apparent, down to the details on a newspaper and other very subtle elements.

The very definition of subtlety. 
  • edited 2012-06-27 12:01:18
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    >Democrat children's book

...that's fucking creepy.