The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Seeing a former Kmart this subdivided is bizarre. They basically took what was one store and made it a strip mall instead.

Former Kmart - Pittsfield, Massachusetts
  • I am now classy and steampunk and stuff.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    That looks kickass, FM. -gives FM all of the awards-
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • edited 2012-06-26 01:41:37
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    More old computer-related babbling: I found another PC Mag article of note, this time an article from 1987 about fast ESDI hard drives.

WE HAD ONE OF THESE IN THE EARLY 1990s. We ran DOS on it! Memorieeeeeeeeeeees... XD

Also, I found an old article from John Dvorak about the origins of the word "nerd". That was always one of my favorites.
    Note to self: Virginia summons Lee.

*writes in spellbook*
  • edited 2012-06-26 01:58:35
    :|
    nd mshe ltitin.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    snap crackle pop

MOTHERFUCKIN' RICE KRISPIES
    I wish I had a ponytail
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Then grow one!
  • edited 2012-06-26 02:20:28
    :|
    Engage a pony in battle and cut off its tail as a victory prize!
  • edited 2012-06-26 02:26:00
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You know what's interesting? U.S. Route 66 hasn't technically existed since 1985, but maps continue to show it and various states continue to sign it, typically as "Historic Route 66".

In a way, this almost seems better than if the route had continued to officially exist--by the time US 66 was decommissioned, the designation had been paired with the various Interstate freeways through most states and as such was considered redundant. The "Historic" signs/maps, though, usually reflect an older alignment, before Interstates bypassed everything--so a tourist following Historic 66 signs nowadays is going to get more of the road's famous route than someone following the actual US 66 signs 30 years ago.
  • What made it famous ?
    Well, it was one of the first major highways connecting the Eastern part of the country with the west, and unlike most highways today, it was intentionally routed through as many small towns as possible along the way, so in a way it connected a lot of America. It also was a major route of migration for people trying to escape the poverty of the Dust Bowl in the 1930s.
  • The sadness will last forever.

i have a poptart craving

again

• The sadness will last forever.
    yay pop tarts
  • edited 2012-06-26 03:53:36
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I had this idea for a show

different women

different points of view

maybe too different

we call it

the view
    I was going to track down a funny clip for this quote. But all the clips from The View are just tragic...
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Goad Moaning
  • Hey.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The most notable thing about The View, to me, is that its original theme song was done by Edd Kalehoff.

You needed to know this.
  • I don't watch the view, and I don't plan to, You knee'd to know that.
  • edited 2012-06-26 06:24:29
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    What is "The View"?

It sounds like some tosh that MTV would create.
  • edited 2012-06-26 06:25:40
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hello there, I'd figure I'd just up and
    share a few things, through the science of written languages.

Most of my words aren't too smart, and
    for the most part, my ability to communicate my thoughts and ideas is
    akin to a car being able to talk... uhhh, it isn't there.

That's my spoiler warning, because if
    in reading this, you are suffering from the thoughts of wondering why
    I can't seem to make a clear point, or why I can't make any point,
    then don't bother reading past this point.

It's been a while since I typed things
    in rapid succession, I can't say I miss it, after all, you could say
    I'm more used to the fact that most of typed messages are 2-3 word
    statements with clear narrative sense within the plot, that really
    doesn't make sense when thought about, but think about the fact that
    I spoiled that I suck at explaining things! Don't judge me!

Strawberries, they're delicious in a
    stew. But no, why do people no look for a way, for a while, for
    pudding.

Fire, burning, cinders, ashes, heat,
    temperature. You know, a person in a burning building is more likely
    to die of asphyxiation than they are of burn wounds.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Cathartic Posting isn't a post made out of toast.

I have no memory of the land before time!

Little Foot was a dinosaur who converted helium into gold bars for the sake of teaching alchemy to the other dinosaurs, together, they formed the secret cult known as the Luna-maty! people obsessed with Luna, The night pony princess...

Dinosaurs watched My Little Pony, it was hilarious.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Who here has seen the Ace Attorney film?
  • edited 2012-06-26 06:47:48
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ^^Dinosaurs, huh?

I don't know whether I like Archer or Sentinel better.
  • There's only so much we can do before the Leprechauns reclaim our bodies within the dirt and raise us from the dead as horrible zombie secretaries. that's why commercial cremations became popular, this miffed the Irish buggers like no others when they didn't have the chance to convert more of the dead for their employment.
  • Stop talking about weird stuff Clock! Srs!
  • But I wants to talk about weird stuff... give them people what they want, pander to them, O ye of little faith.
  • I don't have little faith, I have no faith... which is to say I'm not a church-goer, just that people are math equations within themselves and the outcome of which is not always known unless you're Mr. Rogers.
  • Your opinions are not as any that the world itself will not remember it more than say a few years, by them I will merely be a memory.
  • Memories are the only way I can communicate with others, am I so wrong to want to believe that the memories I've created in other people are pleasant things that they look fondly back on? Am I so wrong to wanting to create more memories for myself? Am I wrong in feeling that people are often impersonal with me because of their memories of me?

Am I a large bagel? No, but it's about time for breakfast.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    I've never actually tried a bagel
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

You know what's interesting? U.S. Route 66 hasn't technically existed since 1985, but maps continue to show it and various states continue to sign it, typically as "Historic Route 66".

If you take a look at I-40 when it first enters New Mexico from east to west, you'll see it dips a bit south and back up.  Whenever the interstate was being planned out, it was going to literally run straight to Tucumcari, but the little town on San Jon there pitched enough of a fit that they angled the highway just for them. One of the lucky little towns among the few, I imagine. 

South of San Jon is a few interesting things, one is a paved highway to one of the little abandoned settlements where the only thing left is a graveyard, but they still paved a highway to it. The road, of course, is never every used so it sat there being new for decades and now looks really bizarre.

Also directly south of San Jon, at an elevation of around 4,000 feet in the veins of the caprock are the most seashells you will ever see. Petrified, of course. Literally millions, canyon walls and floors covered with them. Giant boulders of seashells fused together, too. Also mountain lions. We made haste out of there after seeing a pawprint. It's also private property, but we never caused any damage or littered or got caught.
    Someone posted this on facebook, you all probably seen it already but if you havent:

http://type.method.ac/  The kerning game
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    My overall score was 62 out of 100.

I got a perfect 100 on two of them (the third one and the seventh one, I think), but I got really low scores on a few of them. I think it was because it looked like the correct answer made the first two letters -- I don't quite know how to put it -- invade each other's personal space.

Catching up with John K's blog: http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2012/06/story-process-step-by-step.html

The "know your character" is especially important. That's not to twist the character around to be a projection of yourself but to know whatever they're likely to do in any given situation, I'd think.  You also really can't have the character defined to a T before you start working the story, either. This gives them no room to grow and develop.

• I guess in the end we all just sort of knew. Not like, consciously knew, but intrinsically, on some level. We knew that with great power comes great responsibility. We read comic books too, of course--they call that being "read up" by the way--so we just sort of knew that if we got powers and were going to use them for good, there'd be somebody out there who was gonna use them to do something stupid. I think that's--if not the reason--one of the reasons a lot of us got into the whole cape business. Of course none of us were really thinking about that at the time, we all had our own reasons. Mine was simple enough, after all, give a fourteen-year-old superpowers and they're going to turn out either a superhero or a supervillain--there's not a lot of middle ground there. So yeah, I could go back to the beginning, my origin story's the same as everyone else's. Fell asleep December 20th an ordinary human, woke up the next day something more than that. You can ask Across, Helios, anybody. They'll all have stories, but that's where they all start.

--Alicia "Flare Girl" Blackmoore

• 2012 is sneaking on up.

End of the world is just around the corner.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The beginning of a tale, Lazuli? I like it.

I've always had a fondness for superhero literature. Some of the best tales of capes and cowls I've ever read came from Soon I Will Be Invincible, Masked: A Superhero Anthology, and Sidekicks by Jack D. Ferraiolo.
    So walking out of class about 15 minutes ago I see cop cars everywhere and people talking about some nut running around with an AR15 on campus. They nabbed him pretty much at that moment, too. Nothing on the news yet, I hope he didn't hurt anybody.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I hope not either.
    central-avenue I just messaged you, and this is crazy, but take this survey: [REDACTED] - free gift card baby. Love, TumblrBot
    Oh god, even the spambots are spouting memes now.
    One crazy/odd/wierd trick to ____________________
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    My personal favorite of those is "One creepy way to sleep better at night." Yeah, that sounds pleasant.

My personal favorite of those is "One creepy way to sleep better at night." Yeah, that sounds pleasant.

must involve going to sleep with a pickup-artist guide