General Video Game Thread

Comments

• they are, as one might imagine from the context of this conversation, the two most famous Laserdisc games (I believe they were both in arcades, rather than being console whatsits)

also how tf do I get dosbox to run in a window
  • edited 2017-12-06 21:47:40
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/758500/Loot_Box_Quest/

Hey Do You Like Clicker or Idle Games?

If you don't like clicker or idle games, then you shouldn't buy this game because it is an idle clicker game and you just said you don't like those so you won't like this one.

About This Game

The spiritual successor to DLC Quest! Earn that sense of pride and accomplishment in the way that only repetitive clicking can deliver. It's a clicker game, so chill out, have a few chuckles, and watch numbers get bigger while the industry burns around us all.

Features:
    • Lots of clicking. But not, like, too much clicking. You can get upgrades that automate things.
    • Numbers that get bigger.
    • Some numbers that get way big. No, even bigger than that.
    • Sense of pride1
    • Sense of accomplishment2
    About this game
    My secret shame is that I really like clicker games and lose a lot of time to them. I also make games for a living and have always wanted to try making a clicker game myself. This game is part of a challenge to design, develop, and publish an entire game (solo!) in one week and this is what I came up with. There are many clicker games but this one is mine. I hope you like it!

Also please don't ruin the games industry.

Sincerely,
    - Ben

1Unlikely
    2Not guaranteed

<Robotnik> I LOVE THIS GAME.

(It's apparently from the same guy who made DLC Quest so I think it might actually be fun.  DLC Quest seemed lame until I played it and it turned out to be pretty fun too.)
  • What are some good fantasy JRPGs for the GBA, Gamecube, (3)DS, or Wii (U) to recommend to someone who loves Fire Emblem (moreso for the aesthetic than the SRPG gameplay ftr)? I know I'm casting a wide net here; I'm just seeing if I've forgotten anything.
  • Hexartes said:

What are some good fantasy JRPGs for the GBA, Gamecube, (3)DS, or Wii (U) to recommend to someone who loves Fire Emblem (moreso for the aesthetic than the SRPG gameplay ftr)? I know I'm casting a wide net here; I'm just seeing if I've forgotten anything.

something like Fire Emblem makes me think of strategy RPGs.  The ones I know largely aren't on the system but I'll try to think of some...

* Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1/PSP)
    * Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA)
    * Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (DS)

* Energy Breaker (SNES)
    * Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (PS2) / Disgaea DS (remake)
    * Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance (PS4) / Disgaea 5 Complete (Switch)
    * Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (SNES/PS1/SS/PSP/Wii VC)
    * Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis (GBA)
    * Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (SNES/SS/PS1/Wii VC/iMode)
    * Rime Berta (PC)
    * Shining series - there's actually a whole bunch here so I won't list them individually but the relevant entries are: Shining Force (Wii VC), Shining Force Gaiden (3DS VC - Japan only), Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya (3DS VC), Shining Force II (Wii VC), Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict (Wii VC - Japan only), Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon (GBA), Shining Force Feather (DS - Japan only)
    * Langrisser series - also a bunch, but many haven't had English-language releases.  The relevant ones are Warsong (has a Genesis version but the VC version is Japan only) and Langrisser Re:Incarnation Tensei (3DS).
    * Growlanser - a series with English releases but they're restricted to PS1/PS2/PSP/WinPC.
    * Jeanne d'Arc (PSP)
    * Record of Agarest War series - a few entries, but all restricted to PS3, XB360, WinPC, Android, iOS
    * La Pucelle Tactics (PS2/PSP)
    * Luminous Arc (DS)
    * Luminous Arc 2 (DS)
    * Luminous Arc 3 (DS - Japan only)
    * Luminous Arc Infinity (PSV - Japn only)
    * Bahamut Lagoon (SNES, Wii VC, Wii U VC - all Japan only)
    * Aselia the Eternal (PSP, WinPC)
    * Tear Ring Saga (PS1) - the closest thing to a direct spiritual successor of Fire Emblem.  also has a sequel for PS2.
    * Tales of the World - a spinoff series of Bandai Namco's Tales; Tactics Union is for Android/iOS and Summoner's Lineage is for GBA but Japan-only.
    * Valkyria series - mostly only on PS3, PS4, WinPC, PSP, PSV, iOS, Android, and XBone.  However, Valkyria Chronicles 4 is going to Nintendo Switch.
    * Suikoden Tactics (PS2)
    * Wild ARMs XF (PSP)
    * Yggdra Union (GBA)
    * Advance Wars is turn-based tactics but not classified as RPG.  Multiple entries for GBA, DS, Wii
    * Super Robot Wars - large series, but only 3 games released in English: Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation (GBA), Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 2 (GBA), Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier (DS)
  • Definitively it is more important that they be fantasy games than that they be strategy games.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    What about that card game From Software made

or that game with angel people
  • Googling the former turned up nothing, the latter is very vague. I think names would be helpful.
  • edited 2017-12-09 18:39:37
    I believe Odra is referring to Lost Kingdoms for the card one?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    TitleName said:

I believe Odra is referring to Lost Kingdoms for the card one?

Yeah also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baten_Kaitos:_Eternal_Wings_and_the_Lost_Ocean
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    Have you ever played anything from the Breath of Fire series?
  • edited 2017-12-12 02:01:23
    ninas and ryus

anyway

I've played some of the first.  The one that Squaresoft made a weirdo loc job of.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Nina is good.
  • Crystal said:

Nina is good.

i'd be more surprised if you didn't approve, considering that she has blond hair and bird wings.
  • edited 2017-12-12 02:35:30
    Crystal said:

Nina is good.

agreed. And yes I play the series. 1 thru 4 really, no thoughts on 5 yet.

They're pretty enjoyable RPGs in their own right though not without a fair bit of pet peeves they hit for me. But all in all, I'd say they're worth a shot, though 1 & 2 I feel are archaic.

Sadly probably won't get a revival anytime soon.
  • I'm playing Breath of the Wild Master Mode.  Really enjoying the difficulty spike and how you have to be so strategic.  I think my deadliest weapon by far is a fucking Korok Leaf.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

shovel knight's a fish
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    is this true
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-12-16 01:36:19
    So according to backers, La-Mulana 2 is in progress on its final dungeon.  Valve time indeed.

Apparently one of the big problems they've been having is that people have been reluctant to assist in development because they didn't want to spoil the game.  Which is...flattering if problematic XD

Also going back through Breath of the Wild, I'm reminded that pretty much the entire game is absolutely gorgeous and amazing...except the critical path.  Zora's Domain is the only main quest branch that feels fleshed out at all.  Like, the entire Vah Medoh sequence is the most consummately disappointing thing at every layer -- which sucks, because Rito Village is actually interesting, but they just don't do anything with it until afterward.
    Hay just out of curiosity

Anybody happen to know what the music here in Level 5 is? I know it's hard to hear because this guy never shuts up, but.
  • edited 2017-12-19 19:36:50
    I can hear it but I don't recognize it.  If you can find the game you may be able to isolate what sounds like a MIDI file for that.
    I have the game but I dunno about that MIDI isolating stuff
  • I have the game but I dunno about that MIDI isolating stuff

Is there a music folder or otherwise one or more .mid files in there?  or is it all rolled into the game's executable?
    Zelda Classic has its own file format (.qst) which has everything rolled into one.

I don't know of any way to extract resources from it.
  • Zelda Classic has its own file format (.qst) which has everything rolled into one.

I don't know of any way to extract resources from it.

it isn't open-source?
    Not that I'm aware.

Actually, the fact that it continues to exist boggles my mind
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-12-20 05:23:28
    Playing Ys Seven.  The game is fun and the localization is fantastic as I'd expect of XSeed, but the PC port they're working with is a bit botched.

Skills are really clumsy to access on a keyboard; the original PSP controls were to hotkey four skills to trigger + primary buttons, but there's no option to use shift as a trigger or anything.  The skill trigger exists in the binding list, but it's disabled -- you actually have to bind the skills to four standalone keys, and the default is...1-4.  Because that's nice and fluid to use with the default WASD movement.  The tutorials and menu tooltips also still display PSP buttons instead of even the default keys, much less currently bound ones.

This gets hella awkward at the end of the first boss.  He withdraws into his shell and becomes immune to all damage, and then a tutorial cutscene happens that unlocks your super move which instantly kills him.  But as before, it shows a button that doesn't exist on the keyboard, doesn't tell you the current binding, and you can't go to the menu to check it during a boss fight.  So you just have to stand in front of this giant ass laser shooting turtle, with super intense boss music and face melting guitars blaring, awkwardly trying every button on the keyboard until you stumble across the "5" key and the boss just kind of explodes.  Also, yes, of course I was going to reach for the fucking 5 key in the middle of frenetic combat, what kind of efficient typist do you take me for?

I still haven't seen a tutorial page that even mentions Flash Guard.  I've figured it out by reading the key binds and trying it out, but I'm three bosses in and it hasn't even mentioned it in the tutorial pages in the pause menu.

I'm a bit surprised it was this poorly executed.  XSeed doesn't have a lot of programming muscle (mostly Sara expanding graphics options), but they're usually pretty good about catching stuff like this.  If this was deeply embedded into the original Chinese PC port, I totally understand why they were so reluctant to use as a baseline.  TBH it makes me pretty worried for Ys 8, which is on the same control style but in the hands of a localization team I already trust much less than "Sara at 3 in the morning".

I should note the game is still really fun.  It just manages to be so once you rebind basically everything and still have a couple buttons too many.
  • edited 2017-12-20 05:50:26
    Is this Ys Seven actually using the Chinese version as a baseline?

Also will this work if I use like ASDF for the action keys while I use the arrow keys and my right hand for movement?  Since I pretty much never use WASD for movement (aside from FPSes) when I can avoid it.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-12-20 06:07:38
    Dunno if it's actually using the Joyoland port.  It just seems like it would fit for the reason XSeed was so reluctant to bring it to Steam.

I thought about doing that, but even if you bind movement to the arrows there are just too many keys to put on the left hand like I did for Ark/Oath/Origin.

Attack (Left click)
    Guard (F)
    Dodge (Space)
    4 hotkeyed skills (1-4)
    2 character switches (Q/E)
    Super (5)
    OK/Interact (C)
    Cancel (X)

The super is at least something you could afford to put somewhere weird.  You usually only use it when the boss is already stunned so it does fucktons of damage.  Also obviously OK/Cancel don't strictly have to be in easy reach but you'll kind of hate yourself if they aren't.

Right now I'm running the default attack on left click, the two most frequently used skills per character on right/middle, guard on left shift, and super on left alt.  I'm thinking about changing the other two skills to Q/E, and having the switches be 1/3 or something -- I've been accidentally switching characters when I reach for Bash.  I might even just put one switch on F and unbind the other entirely since you never have to hit it more than twice.

Even then they're still using some weirdass random shit in other noncombat places.  Like, while shopping for weapons you have to hold Y to see skills attached to them.  Y?  Y NOT AHAHAHAHA
  • Do you _have_ to use mouse for something?

Because if I don't...

Attack: C
    Guard: Z
    Dodge: left shift
    hotkey skills: ASDF
    character switch: i could maybe make do with just one, so just space
    super: V
    OK/interact: Z
    cancel: X
  • I thought about overlapping OK/Cancel with other buttons (it lets you) but I was afraid of what might happen if you have to talk to someone in the field.
  • do you not have a USB controller on hand?
  • Jane said:

do you not have a USB controller on hand?

Not sure if you're asking Bee or me, but I don't, and I actually prefer playing on keyboard unless analog inputs are necessary.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-12-21 01:03:05
    Seven seems like it would actually make decent use of analog output, FWIW.  Not necessary but I've seen a few attacks so far where it would be useful.  The Ark engine games, and even Chronicles were the kind of games that more than 8 directions would actually fuck you up a lot.

That said, yeah I do typically prefer keyboard when possible.
  • Tangent: I wonder if I can substitute a mouse for an analog stick, maybe with an on-screen "tension gauge" showing how far I'm pushing the stick in a given direction.
  • Tangent: I wonder if I can substitute a mouse for an analog stick, maybe with an on-screen "tension gauge" showing how far I'm pushing the stick in a given direction.

there's such a thing as a "mousestick" (I think that's what they're called anyway) but they're not terribly common. 
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-12-21 02:20:44
    The Trails and Ark engine games had pretty much exactly that.

It was especially funny in Ys Origin because there was a speed bug if you were pushing very slightly into a wall, but it was basically impossible to do on purpose without a mouse.  You could skip Khonsclard by jumping over his loading zone.
  • Oh God.  Most of the bosses so far have been fairly smooth as Ys games go, but the Wind Shrine boss is a total ballbuster.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-12-22 08:38:17
    Down.  That was far more satisfying than it had any right to be.  But it also makes the tutorial's complete omission of Flash Guard even more grating, because that boss's Rush attack is literally undodgeable and must be guarded or you just die instantly.
  • it wouldn't be an Ys game if it didn't kick your ass
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-12-22 09:42:20
    Yeah it just seemed really sudden.  Several of the bosses before it were kind of laughably trivial, and I even managed to flawless one of them on the first blind try.  But then suddenly you get this asshole nuke-happy chickenshit bird with some rather notable Pissy Boss Mode moments, a hard requirement of a mechanic the game never so much as mentions outside its keybinding menu, spawns adds, blows and/or sucks you all the way across the arena, spams a status you'd better have crafted immunity accessories for the entire party, has like 3x the health of anything before it, and spends most of its time in the air.

It's like Gyalva fucked Zirduros.  But like, minus the RNG -- it was surprisingly fair.
  • So how are the keyboard controls working out?
  • ...beeeeetter?  It still feels a bit awkward, but I think I've worked out the best I'm gonna get.

Move: WASD
    Dodge: Space
    Guard: Left shift
    Attack: Left click
    Skills 1-4: Right click, middle click, Q, E
    Super: Left alt
    OK/Cancel: Left/Right click (overlap)
  • OneShot was good
  • in which Pokemon

becomes Yu-Gi-Oh
  • So I'm near the end of Ys Seven and HOLY HELL this game got dark.  Like, Ys was never exactly sunshine and rainbows but I've never seen it get this nasty.