General Video Game Thread

Comments

• BeeBee
    edited 2018-01-05 09:31:28
    Ys Seven done on Normal.  Not...entirely satisfied with the ending.  I get what they were going for, but they kind of wrote themselves into a corner on it.  The last boss gauntlet was kind of awesome though, and I had a lot of fun with the game and story on the whole.

Gonna grind out the last few grind achievements, then see how absurd Nightmare is.  I kind of expect it'll be less brutal than the other games, if for no other reason than because you can access your whole inventory and healing items in combat (which I only figured out over halfway through the game).  I get why -- one of the bosses would be literally impossible without it because you have to switch accessories for terrain changes -- but it still grates on me a bit.

For anyone else looking to play this game, I'll go ahead and warn you that the bestiary has four missable enemies -- the two in the tutorial, and add spawns during the Wind Shrine bird and Water Dragon bosses.  The last one of those never spawned in the fight for me, so I'll have to pick that up on Nightmare.
  • kill living beings
    i'm still a big fan of

i have not played this game
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Banner Saga 2: great game other than the extremely lengthy tutorial bits. If you're playing Banner Saga 2, you've probably already played BS1 and already know the mechanics. There's no need to go into them in even MORE depth than the original did. It's annoying when you already know how to do things to have tutorial messages shoehorned in. 

That, however, is a small gripe within an excellent series. Art is great, soundtrack is fabulous, will definitely be looking forward to Banner Saga 3. 
  • BeeBee
    edited 2018-01-16 10:03:10
    There was a neat surprise at AGDQ this year.

Slight NSFW warning because of a certain painting cutscene (which has been amusingly edited to be more SFW).

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    something tells me this is an unlicensed game
  • I'm just saying if I were Kate Winslet and I heard they made a game where I survived two dozen shotgun rounds to the chest then flying kicked Herman Munster off a lifeboat, I'd WANT it to be licensed.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2018-01-19 21:45:09
    Me and my friend just finished 100%'ing Mario Odyssey.  Probably one of the most amazing 3D platformers I've ever played.  Also the best game featuring a love triangle between a photorealistic human lady, a snail, and a sentient ambulatory fork -- I don't think I've seen any other game do that half as well.  Or, you know, at all.

On a more serious note, I really enjoyed the final postgame level.  It was just the right mix of hard and creative without being the tedious ballbusters Galaxy 2 and 3D World ended on.

Unrelated, here's a pretty amazing run this AGDQ.  Dude manipulates the RNG of NES Dragon Warrior by eye/ear for the entire game, and clears it at level 7 in less than half an hour.

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    So, the final boss of the new FFXIV raid (out on the 30th) is...
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    What? :v
    That would be Kefka Palazzo, insane omnicidal clown and (the massively popular) main villain of FFVI.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Why so serious

That would be Kefka Palazzo, insane omnicidal clown and (the massively popular) main villain of FFVI.

Okay so I did recognize him, it's just been actual years so I was kinda like, forreal, huh.

Good stuff, good stuff.
    I also should've added a "Seriously" but I was still half-awake oops.
  • FFXIV players are hereby warned that they had better run, or they'll be well done.
  • Speaking of well done,

• Does anyone here need a Steam Awards 2017 trading card to complete their set?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2018-01-26 02:29:51
    Ys Seven on Nightmare is exactly as hard as I expected.  I am learning to Flash Guard like a pro though -- against bosses most of your SP comes from guarding, and most of your damage is counter-critical.
    aww, that's cute
  • wait i can swear i posted that first somewhere
  • Maybe?  I don't actually go to that many threads here.
  • oh well, whatever

still a fun video
  • Oh God the 4* magicite fights in Record Keeper are fucking insane.  I took down Kraken but I don't even know where to start with the others.
  • edited 2018-01-30 18:48:58
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    So I've been playing a bunch of Monster Hunter World (last hunt I beat was Paolumu), and I can easily say it's the best game in the series.

It's full of QoL updates, such as:

* Gunners and Blademasters now share armour, so Gunners no longer die if a monster so much as thinks about them.
    * Skills are now level based instead of point based, so you don't need a whole armour set to get, say, Pro Transporter.
    * Weapon upgrades can now be rolled back, refunding the materials, up until you're two trees deep. (I.E. For Switch Axes, in the Bone --> Barroth --> Anjanath sequence, you can rollback any bone or Barroth axes, but not the Anjanath axe, since it branches off of Barroth.)
    * Paintballing has been removed, so you don't have to play a thrilling game of "where the hell did Rathalos go".
    * Rare materials have way higher drop rates. (I got 3 Anjanath plates in 7 hunts.)
    * You can now dodge cancel item animations. (For healing items, you now gradually heal as you use them, and the healing immediately stops if you dodge.)
    * Egg quests are less annoying, since you now have an invisibility cloak (with a cooldown).
    * Gathering has been massively improved. Bug nets and pickaxes no longer exist, and all items except fish/ores/bones/account items now have specific, non-randomised gathering spots, and are gathered instantly.
    * Combo books have been removed, and you can now set the game to automatically craft individual items if you have the mats. (Mostly useful for potions and ammo.)
    * Maps are now seamless.
    * A proper lock-on system.
    * Long Sworders can now Spirit Slash without tripping their betters (Switch Axe users.)
    * Khezu is gone.

The game also looks beautiful, and the weapons feel really refined, instead of the old situation where, say, SnS was drastically worse then everything else. Also you get to impale things on a Switch Axe and explode the phial inside them.

It's also way more accessible thanks to both the QoL changes, and the fact that it gives you several big hunts before you get into the nastier stuff. The first real roadblocks for an inexperienced player would be Tobi-Kadachi (Zinogre meets Kecha Wacha meets Nargacuga), and Anjanath (Deviljho Jr.), which are the 6th and 7th hunts respectively. (Both are quite a bit faster and harder hitting than the previous hunts.)

But yeah, the game is really really good.
    What’s so bad about Khezu?
    It spends 85% of the fight screaming at you, meaning you keep flinching, 5% of it wrapped in electricity, which means you can't hit it, 5% on the ceiling, which means you can't hit it, it has like, 3 moves that aren't the electricity AoE, and it has no music, which is boring.
    Yeeeeeeesh.

I'm not exaggerating about the screaming, by the way.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2018-01-30 21:35:56
    I honestly never had that much trouble with Khezu.  He was annoying but actually really easy.  5x scream is hilarious though.

Can't wait for this to come out on PC.
    So with Sigmascape, FFXIV's FFVI focused raid, we now have remixes of The Decisive Battle and Dancing Mad (all 4 tiers of it, with the final tier reserved for the Savage Kefka fight), and they're amazing.

• So today they just threw out the longest-standing high score record ever recorded for a game.  Todd Rogers' 5.51 second run of the Atari's Dragster in 1982 has been deemed mechanically impossible.
  • extremely not so but maybe just a tad yes
    about time
    cheater!
    And it only took several months of hard evidence, because Jace Hall, the owner of Twin Galaxies (the guys who handle game records) refused to believe it, because he's best buddies with Todd.
    It did give us this gem of a quote, though.
    As far as the TAS, it is just that a tool-assisted speedrun. They do not take the human element into consideration at all. If anyone has played this game for longer than an hour you know that it takes a great amount of skill and timing to play at an elite level.
  • edited 2018-01-31 18:42:23
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    That sure is a series of words.
    I didn't know you could do a TAS in 1982

well, I suppose you could.

I didn't know you could do a TAS in 1982

well, I suppose you could.

No, there was a TAS done last year that proved that Rogers' score is physically impossible. Even with frame perfect inputs, you just can't get 5.51 legitimately.
    So how did he do it, then? Reprogrammed the game?
  • kill living beings
    i like the suggestion that his copy was slightly messed up and started a frame earlier than you can do in the now-canonical rom
  • BeeBee
    edited 2018-01-31 19:53:32
    Yeah one of the TAS'ers did a big exhaustive spreadsheet of how you could spread your inputs and found that no sequence could get it.  Even with the assumption that a glitch would put you into a higher gear before starting, the acceleration numbers don't add up to 5.51 or so greatly surpass it that 5.51 would be a bad run.

5.57 is apparently possible and has been performed by several people.
  • edited 2018-02-02 01:57:56
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
  • kill living beings
    graven image lol
    I mean, it's literally the Statue of the Gods from FFVI, so it's an accurate term. :P
    Destroy, destroy, destroy~
  • I'm playing Lady Layton.  There is a distressing number of puns even for a Level 5 game.  Also WOW Katrielle is a dick.
  • I'm very torn on this game.  The lighter episodic cases are a nice change of pace, but like 2/3 of the puzzles have been bullshit trick questions -- even more than the first couple Layton games.  And I've found two that are just outright wrong.  One of the puzzles fucks up left and right in the description.  Another's description is bugged out entirely and just says "The correct answer is A", but it's a minesweeper game with no letter answers, and it doesn't have a unique solution without the correct description telling you how many there are.