I was somehow rendered unconscious but sapient during an unknown period

Comments

• We can do anything if we do it together.

prequels, sequels, the whole thing was designed to get george lucas the money he needed for his pet projects

I would rather back to back The Winter Soldier 3 times than sit through any one Star Wars film
    I disagree with this, but you do you.

I'm still wondering what exact "pet projects" Lucas wanted to make anyway, since we never saw them.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

1: That was only because Lucas isn't good enough at dialogue to do winking quips. It's worth noting that Harrison Ford improvised a fair bit of Han Solo's performance in the original trilogy.

2: That's fair, although I would argue the man had long ago sold out anyway.

3: Wasn't the Winter Soldier dark?

4: Lucas sold Star Wars at least in part so more could be made since he wasn't interested in making more.

1. Irrelevant

3. No.

4. And content consumers are going to fucking orgasm over the soulless mediocrities that will eternally come out of theatres with the Star Wars name from now on.
    Also my central problem was having to hear about Red Letter Media, who are bad and will hopefully die in a plane crash.
  • when people do bad media reviews i also wish death upon them because i am a lovely and nice person
    All right, they shouldn't die in a plane crash.
  • he says in his best petulant toddler voice
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Is there a movie outside of one of the big franchises that counts as Content? (content that's contented, maybe)
    I am acknowledging that what I said was stupid and childish.
    Any unnecessary sequel counts as Content, by my thinking.
  • kill living beings
    Towards A Coherent Taxonomy Of Content
  • I'm really fucking sick of pretty much all media discourse on this site

And all talk of "Content." It's asinine. It's just "I'm above such and such movie" posturing. There's no engagement. I fucking hate dismissiveness.
  • edited 2015-11-20 02:44:57
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Kexruct said:

I'm really fucking sick of pretty much all media discourse on this site

Geez, didn't know we were all so terrible. I only thought it was various interactions with select people, and varying measures of disagreement, but I suppose I was mistaken.

Like, my goodness, I actually agree with you on a fair bit of stuff, and part of that post, and it's still obnoxious.
  • I don't know how to react to that, I figured the fact that I was exaggerating based on frustration was kinda obvious?

I don't know but trying to think of a response has just put me in a really bad mood so maybe I need to leave.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    It wasn't to me, because it didn't look that dissimilar from other comments (e.g. towards Myr) you've made in the past, or comments about how we do or don't discuss media. Especially when it was followed up with what also looked like a pretty legitimate criticism of "Content" talk, no less one I'd expect from you (and others).

So, no it wasn't, but my apologies.
  • It's because talk of "Content" has pretty much dominated this website for months now and it's so tiring

like I just want to be able to enjoy Star Wars and Marvel and shit in peace, or at least have them challenged on the grounds of what they say thematically as opposed to how they're marketed and not be talked down to constantly
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I think "Content" can be validly defined, without anger.

I always assumed that "Content" meant tepid, uninspired corporate IP plays. I don't think the Marvel Cinematic Universe unilaterally falls under this definition (despite its deliberate lack of creator-centrism), and am waiting to see what The Force Awakens will be like, but I can understand suspicion towards them, given that Disney is the primary driver of the trend towards franchise-based event cinema, and seems to own almost all of the marketable IPs that were created before we were born (Warner Bros. generally huffs paint fumes). I just think Myr can be too mean in talking about them.

"Content" is a notion that well predates the franchise blockbuster domination of today. You know how it used to be commonplace to make a cheap, mediocre-at-best animated series out of every successful movie? "Content." (While I of course like certain things about 101, there's a reason that it's taken until recently for Disney to do "The Series" again)
  • I agree with that, and I've understood that for a while, but, like

it's just so tiring that it's so often the focus. And, yeah, having my tastes stepped on indirectly every time gets damn old too.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Kexruct said:

Snip

Mind, it's not like I don't sympathize with any of this.
  • usually Marvel movies remind me of those toys you buy at the dollar store where you can tell it was made from the leftover mold of something else

but sometimes they arent so bad for what they are

whereas i find the star wars universe moderately boring and hate hate hate the dialogue and the themes and yeah
  • edited 2015-11-20 03:13:35

the cinematography is ok, but a bunch of it was lifted moderately-to-directly from Kurosawa films so
    Honestly, I don't think most of the audience of The Winter Soldier has even seen any of the 1960s political thrillers you say it was a watered-down rehash of. Other than The Manchurian Candidate, I can't even name any either.
  • when i said that i was thinkin about how the first captain america film felt uncannily like Hellboy
    oh

I have seen neither of those things
  • you should see Hellboy

because it is a good movie
  • Not that the way you talk about media has bothered me as much as Myr's approach does, but something about the way you talk about Star Wars rubs me the wrong way and I don't know how to express it

I don't know I'm in one of those moods where the slightest challenge is basically making me scream internally so maybe I just need to sleep

I'm not even tired I D K
    When I watched the Original Trilogy I actually found myself quite taken with its sense of wonder and adventure.

I hope the Sequel Trilogy retains enough of that.
    I'd hate for Star Wars to get run through Disney's blanderizer.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i liked the prequels when i watched them 

i've also liked most of the marvel movies i watched
  • Calica said:

i liked the prequels when i watched them 

i've also liked most of the marvel movies i watched
    GEE WHAT IS IT LIKE TO LIKE THE WRONG THINGS, YOU WRONG THING LIKER

but more seriously, when i talk about how something is bad, i am generally talking about how i personally dont like it (sometimes this personal dislike is pretty vehement).

my tastes are sometimes rather peculiar and strong, but i have generally given them a fair amount of thought
  • but i would not begrudge other people their opinions, though i might become irritated if they refuse to consider other points of view or if i think their reasoning behind their opinions isnt well thought out

but when i am on the internet i find it easier to filter how i talk, so i do my best not to cause trouble
    It's true that a lot of people don't think their viewpoints out about Star Wars very well.

I like to think that I do, but I could be mistaken.

(FWIW, I do agree with you on at least some of your criticisms.)
    I feel weird for continuing to enjoy The Lion King despite starting to see it as full of holes and excusing a lot of things that drive people batty as part of the film's patchwork of mythological tropes and conventions
    I think I feel the same way about Star Wars, so I can relate to you on that.
  • In my experience I end up feeling a lot more fulfilled when I take a work that people like that has problems and try to come to an understanding of what the value of that thing is rather than dismiss people's reasons for liking it.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Nobody's dismissing your reasons for liking this stuff; it's simply a matter of holding very different opinions.

I actually find the Star Wars universe fun, although I don't have the sort of strong desire to see the new films that I would have when I did when the prequels came out—and even then I found the first prequel film a bit boring despite having a few cool scenes and worldbuilding moments that I liked.
  • I don't think they are. I'm not in the pissy mood I was in last night.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Star Wars is fun imo

naney, what is it about the themes, specifically, that you don't like?  Just curious.
    Red Letter Media is bad because it gives people catch phrases to mindlessly repeat and rally behind.
    RLM is boring and the Plinkett schtick is atrocious but I really think it's best just to ignore it wholesale. There are much better reviewers out there with far better presentations and more interesting opinions. Let's stick with them.
    It could be worse.

It could be Confused Matthew.
    I know this guy exists and apparently has an awful persona and no analytical skills, but that's about it. I might take a peek at one of his videos to get an idea... in Incognito/Private Browsing... but once is likely enough.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

you should see Hellboy

because it is a good movie
    I frickin love that first movie.

The second is a very pretty mess.

The comics are even better than the first movie, but they're good in an entirely different way than the movie.
  • remember the Hellboy anime movie that they somehow got away with airing on Toonami?

that was weird
    There was more than one of those. They weren't bad, although they felt under-plotted.
  • edited 2015-11-20 14:46:13
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I really need to get familiar with the Hellboy universe at some point.

That kind of consistent high quality is what's possible when you have a creator-owned franchise.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Which one did you see, Jane? The one with vampires and ghosts and dire wolves and harpies? Or the JAPAN JAPAN JAPAN JAPAN one?
  • MetaFour said:

Which one did you see, Jane? The one with vampires and ghosts and dire wolves and harpies? Or the JAPAN JAPAN JAPAN JAPAN one?

the former

I really need to get familiar with the Hellboy universe at some point.

That kind of consistent high quality is what's possible when you have a creator-owned franchise.

is Hellboy good? I thought people kinda didn't like it
    People don't like the second movie and it did get a bit overexposed, but I think most people are pretty OK with it?
  • this is why I can't make jokes about this stuff anymore I'm apparently way out of touch with what the populace at large actually likes
    I'm not sure. I just don't hear many people hating on Mike Mignola much. Or really hear much about Hellboy at all. Seems like it's one of those things that now falls into the "anxious interval" of pop culture revival cycles.