I was somehow rendered unconscious but sapient during an unknown period

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Fuck, AV Club is doing that "this article's over, now read the next one" thing now too?

i forgot about how cool the galactic senate looks
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I see RLM's strategy of "take an aspect of a movie that's pretty objectively praiseworthy, and sneer at it in an attempt to convince idiots it's a bad thing" didn't start with Boyhood.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I like that article.

I never saw Attack of the Clones as noir, though.

Also, run myrdradandersek, before they realize that you are on to them!
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    nerdsplaining 

This, this is the problem with so many reviews and thinkpieces these days. Something's not bad because it's actually bad; it's bad because it was missing some nebulous yet somehow impossibly intricate detail some fanboy insisted on seeing, and so he and his friends are all calling sour grapes now.
  • edited 2015-11-17 02:02:18
    My dreams exceed my real life
    AV Club has fully descended into clickbait territory with its column on how YOU GUYS TOTALLY MISUNDERSTOOD THE STAR WARS PREQUELS THEY ARE MASTERPIECES OF CINEMA (not linking because you can find it on your own). They make the claim that anyone who doesn’t like the prequels are just parroting Red Letter Media and are stupid doo-doo heads.

Guys, I know I whine about the SA internet critic thread, but do not for a second think I am exaggerating.
  • i have thought many things in my time, but never have i thought that something you have said about something awful was exaggerated
  • kill living beings
    yeah dude you say "internet critic thread" and i'm just automatically like yeah he's probably not being cruel enough to them
    I mean, the Plinkett Reviews by Red Letter Media. Technically they came out in 2012, but more technically they belong to every century, era, eon, whatever you want to say. It is the most formidable piece of art ever filmed, and therefore I think it isn't violating any rules of debate to repeat it. Actually, any system in which talking about the Plinkett Reviews would violate its rules would be by definition a tyranny, since watching the videos, yes, is freedom itself. It is artistic freedom. It is intellectual freedom. It is political freedom. It is even, I dare say, existential freedom.
    We are lucky to be alive right now because we are almost as close as you can live to the epicenter of the earthquake that the Plinkett created upon their release in 2012. It is not an exaggeration to say that its release marks the beginning of a revolution of consciousness. The heady and disruptive '60s were merely a prelude to Red Letter Media's arrival.

But you have to understand something. We're not here to watch the reviews. The reviews are here to watch us. In truth, they already have . But we have to watch it watching us. That's our task. As Rich Evans said in 2013 , "There has to be a reason why we're alive and conscious at this point in history." Wink wink. Nudge nudge. He was dumbing it down for the folks sitting cross-legged on the floor when he said that. Yes, there is a reason. To watch the Plinkett Reviews. To allow them to teach us. Who we are. Where we're going. What art is. What life is. What love is. Rich Evans was saying: "watch the damn reviews!"

Are we going to disappoint him?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

yeah dude you say "internet critic thread" and i'm just automatically like yeah he's probably not being cruel enough to them

Pretty much.

For as dumb and lame as a lot of internet reviews shows are, the haters clubs tend to be so much worse because they are actively angry about something so trivial and get angry at people for enjoying things that they don't enjoy. It's so, so pitiably petty and mean-spirited.

Although, to be fair, some "fans" are certainly on that level. But that's a different problem, and there's a strong overlap in sentiments and behaviours.
    Jane said:

that's

satire

right?

Right?
    Yah
  • edited 2015-11-17 02:24:11
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

AV Club has fully descended into clickbait territory with its column on how YOU GUYS TOTALLY MISUNDERSTOOD THE STAR WARS PREQUELS THEY ARE MASTERPIECES OF CINEMA (not linking because you can find it on your own). They make the claim that anyone who doesn’t like the prequels are just parroting Red Letter Media and are stupid doo-doo heads.

Guys, I know I whine about the SA internet critic thread, but do not for a second think I am exaggerating.
    And I thought I was bad about skimming articles and completely missing the point of them. Do they really insist that you have to either adore or despise the prequels, no exceptions, and then give people shit if they do anything but despise them?
    Their prophet hath spoken.
    Lovely. :P 

And to be honest, I'd defend many of the same things about the prequels that that article defended. The things RLM and a lot of the haters harp on just don't matter that much.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

i forgot about how cool the galactic senate looks

so cool
    It's honestly kind of confusing.

Like, I enjoy stuff too, but it's like Rich Evans and Mike Stoklas saved a bunch of people from a burning building at Gooncon 2010 and they have had a life debt ever since.
    Yes, Jar-Jar is a dork. So what? Anakin is a whiny, arrogant manchild, and he's hardly a Casanova, but come on, guys, you're expecting him to be a Johnny Depp character and he's just not supposed to be. 

I also have to wonder how much of this was splash damage from the LotR fandom, because LotR was True Art and Lucas was totally a has-been hack, or so the conventional wisdom went then.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    why don't the world's governments have thousands- or myriads-large parliaments with huge stadium seating?
    AV Club has fully descended into clickbait territory with its column on how YOU GUYS TOTALLY MISUNDERSTOOD THE STAR WARS PREQUELS THEY ARE MASTERPIECES OF CINEMA (not linking because you can find it on your own). They make the claim that anyone who doesn’t like the prequels are just parroting Red Letter Media and are stupid doo-doo heads.

I mean, the Plinkett Reviews by Red Letter Media. Technically they came out in 2012, but more technically they belong to every century, era, eon, whatever you want to say. It is the most formidable piece of art ever filmed, and therefore I think it isn't violating any rules of debate to repeat it. Actually, any system in which talking about the Plinkett Reviews would violate its rules would be by definition a tyranny, since watching the videos, yes, is freedom itself. It is artistic freedom. It is intellectual freedom. It is political freedom. It is even, I dare say, existential freedom.
    We are lucky to be alive right now because we are almost as close as you can live to the epicenter of the earthquake that the Plinkett created upon their release in 2012. It is not an exaggeration to say that its release marks the beginning of a revolution of consciousness. The heady and disruptive '60s were merely a prelude to Red Letter Media's arrival.

But you have to understand something. We're not here to watch the reviews. The reviews are here to watch us. In truth, they already have . But we have to watch it watching us. That's our task. As Rich Evans said in 2013 , "There has to be a reason why we're alive and conscious at this point in history." Wink wink. Nudge nudge. He was dumbing it down for the folks sitting cross-legged on the floor when he said that. Yes, there is a reason. To watch the Plinkett Reviews. To allow them to teach us. Who we are. Where we're going. What art is. What life is. What love is. Rich Evans was saying: "watch the damn reviews!"

Are we going to disappoint him?

I literally posted this in the thread, and they are not aware I am making fun of them.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    why do you waste time with these people
    Because I want updates on internet critics, and no one on HH gives a flying fuck.

It's not worth it anymore, but inertia.
    Anyway, Red Letter Media is terrible, and I hope they all get cancer.
  • kill living beings
    watch it
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    that seems a little harsh
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    lee4hmz said:

Yes, Jar-Jar is a dork. So what? Anakin is a whiny, arrogant manchild, and he's hardly a Casanova, but come on, guys, you're expecting him to be a Johnny Depp character and he's just not supposed to be. 

I also have to wonder how much of this was splash damage from the LotR fandom, because LotR was True Art and Lucas was totally a has-been hack, or so the conventional wisdom went then.

But The Phantom Menace, the one everyone likes to hate on the most, came out before any of the LOTR movies.
    Yeah yeah.

Just thinking about the time RLM fans spammed the internet critic thread with transphobic slurs when someone said they didn't think the Mr. Plinkett character was funny because rape.
  • I think your primary criterion for what denotes "Content" at this point is whether or not nerds like a thing.

Case in point, the Star Wars prequels, which you have recently taken to defending despite being the absolute nadir of every storytelling technique that you criticize in comic book movies (except ones like Man of Steel and The Dark Knight Rises because, idk, fascist undertones add flavor, or something?)
  • And, shit, I'm pretty sure "nerds" as you define the term essentially consists of an amalgamation of whichever Moviebob, RLM, and Todd in the Shadows movie opinions you find the most contemptible.
    Nah
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    TBF, I don't think Myr likes The Dark Knight Rises.
    No, I don't.
  • edited 2015-11-17 14:34:40
    My dreams exceed my real life
    >After reading that, I have to wonder if the author understands that people thought the prequels were bad before Red Letter Media. All they did was teach some filmmaking vocabulary to people on the internet.

A day later, SA is still not done being weird about this.
    I think I'm fucking done with this thread. It's not worth it.
    You know, it's been so long since I actually watched the RLM videos that I've forgiteen what they nitpick, but I kinda don't want to watch them again because they're yucky.

Good.

Good.

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Kexruct said:

I think your primary criterion for what denotes "Content" at this point is whether or not nerds like a thing.

literally the only reference to "Content" in this thread

anyway the article is fine (i have similar memories of that Yoda moment in the cinema)
    RLM's fanbase keeps talking about how much the show has taught them about film theory, but I mainly see it used as a source of catchphrases to shut down debate.

It's like Less Wrong that way
  • edited 2015-11-17 15:56:26
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    (nvm, i misunderstood)
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

TWITTER IS TALKING ABOUT IT NOW

GODDAMN YOU I WAS FREE FROM CONTENT CONSUMER OPINIONS ON THIS SHIT

I WAS FUCKING FREE

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK
    You just basically proved Kex right, you know.
    I DON'T CARE

I WAS FREE, AND NOW I AM DAMNED

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Also the prequels are not Content because

1: There were lines that weren't winking quips

2: They were under the control of one person, rather than an impersonal evil corporation

3: Dark endings

4: They fucking stopped making them
    But as I said earlier FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK
  • Star Wars is Content

the whole thing
    1: That was only because Lucas isn't good enough at dialogue to do winking quips. It's worth noting that Harrison Ford improvised a fair bit of Han Solo's performance in the original trilogy.

2: That's fair, although I would argue the man had long ago sold out anyway.

3: Wasn't the Winter Soldier dark?

4: Lucas sold Star Wars at least in part so more could be made since he wasn't interested in making more.
  • prequels, sequels, the whole thing was designed to get george lucas the money he needed for his pet projects

I would rather back to back The Winter Soldier 3 times than sit through any one Star Wars film