Undertale (No Spoiler Warnings)

Comments

• This isn't about "muh morality" or whatever.

AU was legit misunderstanding the game.

Maybe, but it's not a game for everyone, as the saying goes.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Maybe I should just leave this thread if I'm in here prematurely!
    It's just that I thought we were going to talk about actually PLAYING the game!
  • Anonus said:

It's just that I thought we were going to talk about actually PLAYING the game!

the game is big on morality, It's kind of hard to discuss the game, except for the actual mechanics, without bringing up the morality choices of it. 
    alright

I'll leave then
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i feel like you'll get more out of Undertale exploring it for yourself than looking stuff up online, that's all i was really saying

that said i didn't expect people to tell you off for playing it "wrong" or quiz you on whether you learned anything from it (the hell?)
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    FWIW, I was just trying to get AU to respond to Naney's post in a way that wasn't a vague one-liner that didn't actually counter anything he said.

I probably could've approached that better than I did, but that still bugged me.
  • yeah that

really wasn't needed or called for dude
  • edited 2016-01-23 21:55:41

maybe I could have phrased things better

I just meant that it seemed like anonus kinda missed out on a lot of the stuff that is the most interesting about the game?

I didn't mean to be accusatory
    @Jane @Anonus

I'm sorry.

I'll show myself out now.

I just meant that it seemed like anonus kinda missed out on a lot of the stuff that is the most interesting about the game?

Yes.  i feel that's kinda inevitable if you only play the neutral route.
    Tachyon said:

Yes.  i feel that's kinda inevitable if you only play the neutral route.
    FWIW, I agree with this and I found AU's answers satisfactory.
    I know there is more than one ending. I just wanted to know if I had to fight Flowey again if I reset the game, and thought I had been spoiled enough to peek in here.
    Nah the other endings are well different, there's still a lot you can get spoiled on
    alright
  • edited 2016-01-23 22:12:07
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Perfect
  • edited 2016-01-24 22:58:22

something for being kinda patronizing earlier m(._.)m
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I love it. I love it all.
  • edited 2016-01-24 01:49:19
    We can do anything if we do it together.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Oh my gosh yes so much.
  • GOOD SHIT RIGHT THERE SIGN ME RIGHT THE FUCK UP MHM 100%
  • I've come to the conclusion that as much as I /adore/ Undertale there are three dramatic elements that kinda weaken the experience for me, and I'll elaborate later if necessary:

1. Flowey being Asriel turns what was a complete, coherent character into something no more nuanced but quite a bit more confusing
    2. The first child being evil undermines the tragedy of their and Asriel's deaths, and again adds unnecessary confusion
    3. The underlying mechanics of the world (the barrier, magic, souls, Determination, monster dust) are much more elaborate than is necessary and are, again, needlessly confusing
  • edited 2016-01-24 02:46:21

fair enough

though those first two things were a big chunk of what I personally loved about the game
  • edited 2016-01-24 02:51:16
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I can dig all that stuff, and really like the direction in which they went in with Asriel's character, but I can kinda understand being disappointed that Frisk and Chara aren’t actually blank slates.
  • edited 2016-01-24 02:52:15
    Chara and Asriel worked on one level but were in several ways at odds with other things the game was doing
  • who's to say that the first child was totally evil though
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The last one I will agree on, but not the first two, because the confusion is useful, and that the First Child wasn't evil until you made them evil.
  • The First Child on all routes DID plan to kill all of humanity. They and Asriel were killed in the process of doing this, which in one sense undermines the sadness behind them being killed.
    i agree on the second point, though i guess i wouldn't say it's clear whether the first child was really all that evil to begin with, or whether something went wrong.  i felt the original story about Asriel and the human child was painfully sad, and the implication that the child was malicious kinda soured that a little for me

i would contend that the mechanics are just complicated enough, though - straightforward enough that they're easily comprehensible in theory, but complicated enough that they can have surprising consequences in practice.

As for Asriel, i disagree that it's no more nuanced, i feel it adds a whole new dimension to the character without contradicting any prior established aspect of his characterization (when one keeps said mechanics in mind, at least, along with the backstory).  Flowey has arguably the most interesting arc of any character in the game, i think.
  • i think there is a good chunk of wiggle room with both of them, depending on how you look at things

With Chara, it depends on whether you consider the possible arcs separately or together. It is possible that, in a scenario where you only do neutral/pacifist that Chara was simply a deeply troubled kid who hated humanity, and it is only upon seeing/experiencing your actions in a genocide run that he develops into something out of a creepypasta.

With Frisk there's a lot more space for you to ponder, but i still havent sorted out all my thoughts with them so i'll hold my position here back.
  • fair enough

though those first two things were a big chunk of what I personally loved about the game
    Like, without those points, the game would be a 7/10, with them, a 10/10. For me.
  • See and that's my interp of Chara and I still find that their character *kinda* doesn't work.
  • edited 2016-01-24 03:04:15
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Removing Chara probably wouldn't substantially diminish the game for me, but removing Asriel definitely would.
    this was a dumb moment, see below
    i guess wrt the mechanics i just plain didn't think they were confusing *shrug*
  • Chara and Asriel's characters work on a level that happen to be somewhat at odds with the dramatic arc of the game.
    How so?  i'd like to hear your elaboration on that.
    Tachyon said:

Removing Chara probably wouldn't substantially diminish the game for me, but removing Asriel definitely would.

Scratch this, Asriel's personality works only because of the existence of Chara

i usually pay so little attention to Chara that i was forgetting, but that detail is important
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    See, Chara is a stupid kid who suffered a lot and grew bitter and hateful and made a rash, angry decision. Does that make you evil? No. 

But when you play the game, Chara's no longer a kid. They're dead. A different state of existence, one infinitely more pliable to your actions. Chara adds context to what you do, and takes that context within themself. Good or ill, you're the one who makes Chara, present Chara, ghost Chara, to be what they become.
  • http://taxiderby.tumblr.com/post/135354499621/undertale-red

So, I played this

it's like 5-10 minutes long and was pretty fun!
  • edited 2016-01-24 03:53:59
    Okay, but that's what I'm saying is the problem, Chara being bitter and angry and genocidal *is exactly* what I think weakens some of the games dramatic arc, whether or not I use the word "evil."
  • I don't think that everything really needs to build into a strong central arc.

Like, I would be willing to concede that if you rejiggered the whole thing to address your complaints (well at least the ones that didnt involve things being confusing, because those are pretty YMMV, i definitely was not confused) it would be more cohesive and focused, but it would be a lot less interesting.
  • edited 2016-01-24 04:05:01
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Thing is Chara (as a still-extant character, not backstory) to me is like a nasty little sour note that doesn't need to impact your play at all.  On a pacifist run, their presence is only vaguely hinted at.

But without Chara existing, Flowey's motives vanish, and he becomes just a meanspirited asshole, as opposed to the complex and interesting antagonist he actually proves to be in the game.
  • What I'm saying is that it essentially creates two conflicting stories: Asriel as an innocent martyr/Chara as a cipher vs. Asriel as someone complicit in a scheme/Chara as a bitter, jaded genocide-doer. This contrast is never rectified or really even meaningfully addressed in the game. Especially because the latter is barely even alluded to; Chara and Asriel are introduced in the last hour and a half of the game, and the knowledge that Chara wanted to destroy humanity is easily missed (being established in a single line from Asriel if you go back to talk to him and a handful of tapes. Hell, I couldn't parse what was going on in the tapes /at all/ and the only thing I could take away was something something maybe I'm not actually playing as *playername* something something)

Tories and Asgore especially stick out to me because IIRC they don't mention Chara *at all* let alone that they were malevolent.
    they presumably weren't aware

i felt the tapes were fairly self-explanatory, and the true ending cleared up any ambiguity there

Asriel isn't wholly innocent, he's someone who got messed up by a bad influence and a horrendous experience, and in the process lost the ability to feel love
    I don't see how either of those contrasts conflict each other.
  • MachSpeed said:

I don't see how either of those contrasts conflict each other.

pretty much.
    And yeah, Asriel is Flowey too. He's hurt lots of folks.
  • Also re:Flowey/Asriel

His motivations as expressed in the Neutral ending (hurt others to prevent emotional attachment and pain as a result of said attachment) and his motivations as expressed in the other two (hurt others because I'm in a time loop and might as well) are conflicting on both a character motivation and thematic level- if the game is in many ways "about" how befriending and making attachments is worth the pain, then the fact that it created a space within its world (Flower's endless time loop) where this *isn't* true, where attachment/violent detachment *are* meaningless strikes me as a rather major contradiction