General Religion, Mythology, and occult talk

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Sounds fun.

Come to think of it, Lain is probably going to get a mix of Christian and Muslim celebrations...and I attempt to do stuff for Chinese New Years...and Passover...
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    You are kind of an amazing parent, Justice.
  • You are kind of an amazing parent, Justice.

Awww shucks. I never really thought of my interest in/respect of Religion turned hobby thing something that should get me points in the parenting department, but at least Lain will have many more experiences than the average child in that department, I suppose.
  • You are kind of an amazing parent, Justice.

So, in an incredibly rare event, I'm rereading a book I already read. Lamb in this case.

I believe I see what bugged me about many of the negative reviews. Not liking the book because you are a staunchly religious or irreligious person I get, however the writing is so damned heart warming even within the first chapter. I'm having trouble picture the sort of person that wouldn't be moved by it.

Hence my guess is that robots walk amongst us and are writing shitty Amazon reviews.

Grinnin' ear to ear.

barricadeur:

kaon4shi:

alwaysenduphere:

Le génie du mal [The genius of evil, aka; Lucifer]; Guillaume Geefs 

“The statue was originally a commission for Geefs’ younger brother Joseph, who completed it in 1842 and installed it the following year. It generated controversy at once and was criticized for not representing a Christian ideal.The cathedral administration declared that “this devil is too sublime.” The local press intimated that the work was distracting the “pretty penitent girls” who should have been listening to the sermons.” [x]

[The original ‘sublime’ version shown below, and the ‘revised’ one in the photoset above]

So, there is ALOT of shitty art of the devil. A major issue being that artist don't know what he's supposed to look like (minus depicting him as the beast, a snake, a dragon, etc...)

I'm rather surprised my book on the devil in art didn't include this piece as a sort of culmination of the "rebel angel" motif + other elements that took a while to manifest (bat wings, for one). It a very good representation of a modern idea of Lucifer that doesn't go the Satyr, horns and hoofs route. 

Also, the Cathedral being unhappy with the original seems like something of a positive to me, the second attempt not only looks slightly better but captures many themes of the devil with more detail. At the same time, the artist still captures elements of Lucifer's beauty mentioned in Genesis B and Paradise Lost.
  • Is it wrong that the first thing that came to mind when I read this

The local press intimated that the work was distracting the “pretty penitent girls” 
    was Loki's DILP treatment on Tumblr?
    That second statue is... yeah, I can see young women getting distracted. And the occasional young man.

I still think that, while more angstsy looking, the first is somehow sexier looking?

Maybe I just like the added detail...
    Both are very nice.

And really, for some, I sincerely doubt that the addition of angst and chains is any kind of deterrent...

Acts 2:12-15

New International Version (NIV)

12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, “What does this mean?”

13 Some, however, made fun of them and said, “They have had too much wine.”

Peter Addresses the Crowd

14 Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: “Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. 15 These people are not drunk, as you suppose. It’s only nine in the morning!

You say "too early" I say "16 hours after 5".

• I remember hearing a legend about a pair of gods once. There was one god that roamed the world in the shape of a dragon or a serpent and another sky god that followed him through the air constantly. The sky god attacked the dragon god by throwing bolts of light at him, and that is where lightning came from.

Anyone know of these guys?

Hmmm...

Apparently Weather/Sky/Lightning gods fighting dragons/serpents a recurring theme.

I love how Chinese mythology basically reads like supernatural Romance of the Thee Kingdoms, awesoem epic battles and political motivations:

The President of the Ministry of Thunder

This divinity has three eyes, one in the middle of his forehead, from which, when open, a ray of white light proceeds to a distance of more than two feet. Mounted on a black unicorn, he traverses millions of miles in the twinkling of an eye.

Wên Chung, Minister of Thunder

His origin is ascribed to a man named Wên Chung, generally known as Wên Chung T’ai-shih, ‘the Great p. 199 Teacher Wên Chung,’ He was a minister of the tyrant king Chou (1154–1122 B.C.), and fought against the armies of the Chou dynasty. Being defeated, he fled to the mountains of Yen, Yen Shan, where he met Ch’ih Ching-tzu, one of the alleged discoverers of fire, and joined battle with him; the latter, however, flashed his yin-yang mirror at the unicorn, and put it out of action. Lei Chên-tzu, one of Wu Wang’s marshals, then struck the animal with his staff, and severed it in twain.

Wên Chung escaped in the direction of the mountains of Chüeh-lung Ling, where another marshal, Yün Chung-tzu, barred his way. Yün’s hands had the power of producing lightning, and eight columns of mysterious fire suddenly came out of the earth, completely enveloping Wên Chung. They were thirty feet high and ten feet in circumference. Ninety fiery dragons came out of each and flew away up into the air. The sky was like a furnace, and the earth shook with the awful claps of thunder. In this fiery prison Wên Chung died.

When the new dynasty finally proved victorious, Chiang Tzu-ya, by order of Yüan-shih T’ien-tsun, conferred on Wên Chung the supreme direction of the Ministry of Thunder, appointing him celestial prince and plenipotentiary defender of the laws governing the distribution of clouds and rain. His full title was Celestial and Highly-honoured Head of the Nine Orbits of the Heavens, Voice of the Thunder, and Regulator of the Universe. His birthday is celebrated on the twenty-fourth day of the sixth moon.

• Typhon wasn't really a draconic/serpentine creature, though. He was like a cross between a donkey, a human and some snakes.

There's still Illuyanka and Jormungand. 

Though, I haven't seen anything about a god constantly throwing lightning bolts at a dragon/serpent, thus being the source of lightning. 
  • I don't really understand the concept of Jesus Christ. 

A single human being is infinitesimally tiny compared to the universe. The universe is immeasurably vast and constantly expanding. And the idea of God is that he created the universe. In some stories, it is even described as effortless for him! 

With that in mind, can you imagine how small the universe must be to God? And given how tiny we are in comparison to the universe, shouldn't we be completely insignificant to him? How, then. can a God that dwarfs us by such a hilarious margin possibly care about us? It should be impossible to care about something that small!
  • edited 2013-05-26 19:56:23
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

God is also omniscient, so his understanding and connection to each human is much different than say...a human's connection to each microbe.   That being said, the book of Job sorta takes the idea you're mentioning as an example why people shouldn't blame God for bad things that happen to him. 

Not so much that we're insignificant to God, more that God is running the entire universe and is operating a bit beyond our understanding.

Hel (being)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Norse mythology, Hel is a being who presides over a realm of the same name, where she receives a portion of the dead. Hel is attested in the Poetic Edda, compiled in the 13th century from earlier traditional sources, and the Prose Edda, written in the 13th century by Snorri Sturluson. In addition, she is mentioned in poems recorded in Heimskringla and Egils saga that date from the 9th and 10th centuries, respectively. An episode in the Latin work Gesta Danorum, written in the 12th century by Saxo Grammaticus, is generally considered to refer to Hel, and Hel may appear on various Migration Period bracteates.

In the Poetic EddaProse Edda, and Heimskringla, Hel is referred to as a daughter of Loki, and to "go to Hel" is to die. In the Prose Edda book Gylfaginning, Hel is described as having been appointed by the god Odin as ruler of a realm of the same name, located in Niflheim. In the same source, her appearance is described as half black and half flesh-coloured and further as having a gloomy, downcast appearance. The Prose Edda details that Hel rules over vast mansions, her servants in her underworld realm, and as playing a key role in the attempted resurrection of the god Baldr.

Scholarly theories have been proposed about Hel's potential connections to figures appearing in the 11th century Old English Gospel of Nicodemus and Old Norse Bartholomeus saga postola, potential Indo-European parallels to BhavaniKali, andMahakali, and her origins.

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Justice: To be fair, a lot of Chinese folks were literally deified after death. "Wow, this guy was really great. We should make him a god." And thereafter he was a god and his life as a human was part of his myth.

The Old English Gospel of Nicodemus is an Old English prose translation of the Latin Gospel of Nicodemus. The Old English Gospel of Nicodemus is preserved in two manuscripts (the Cambridge University manuscript and the Cotton Vitelius A. 15 manuscript in the British Museum[1]), both dating from the 11th century AD. In comparison to the Latin edition from which they are based, the manuscripts contain both minor and major differences, including various omissions and addition of numerous words, clauses, and sentences.[2]

The Old English Gospel of Nicodemus contains "a sex-changed version of the grammatically masculine but otherwise ambiguous figure Infer[n]us" referred to as Seo hell, who engages in flyting with Satan, and orders him to leave "her" dwelling

"Flyting" means hurling insults at each other. 

I love this story because it suggests that Satan and the daughter of Loki where at least roomies until they got in a fight and Loki's daughter essentially demanded that Satan "leave the apartment."  I'm guessing the lease was in her name.

Justice: To be fair, a lot of Chinese folks were literally deified after death. "Wow, this guy was really great. We should make him a god." And thereafter he was a god and his life as a human was part of his myth.

I love the treatment of this with Guan Yu where some have even suggested he took over as the Jade Empeor some time in the 1800s.

Actully, an extended explanation of what happened with Guan Yu is probably a good example of what happens.

http://www.livescience.com/27840-shape-shifting-jesus-ancient-text.html

The reason for Judas using a kiss

In the canonical bible the apostle Judas betrays Jesus in exchange for money by using a kiss to identify him leading to Jesus' arrest. This apocryphal tale explains that the reason Judas used a kiss, specifically, is because Jesus had the ability to change shape.

"Then the Jews said to Judas: How shall we arrest him [Jesus], for he does not have a single shape but his appearance changes. Sometimes he is ruddy, sometimes he is white, sometimes he is red, sometimes he is wheat coloured, sometimes he is pallid like ascetics, sometimes he is a youth, sometimes an old man ..." This leads Judas to suggest using a kiss as a means to identify him. If Judas had given the arresters a description of Jesus he could have changed shape. By kissing Jesus Judas tells the people exactly who he is. [Religious Mysteries: 8 Alleged Relics of Jesus]

This understanding of Judas' kiss goes way back. "This explanation of Judas' kiss is first found in Origen [a theologian who lived A.D. 185-254]," van den Broek writes. In his work,Contra Celsum the ancient writerOrigen, stated that "to those who saw him [Jesus] he did not appear alike to all."

Who believed it?

Van den Broek writes in the email that "in Egypt, the Bible had already become canonized in the fourth/fifth century, but apocryphal stories and books remained popular among the Egyptian Christians, especially among monks."

Whereas the people of the monastery would have believed the newly translated text, "in particular the more simple monks,"

This makes ancient Christian monks the science fiction nerds of the early middle ages.
  • This apocryphal tale explains that the reason Judas used a kiss, specifically, is because Jesus had the ability to change shape.

our lord and savior
  • Naney said:

This apocryphal tale explains that the reason Judas used a kiss, specifically, is because Jesus had the ability to change shape.

our lord and savior
    I think we all know what he really meant

Spoiler:

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    No. The true identity of Jesus is...

Spoiler:
  • Although, I do have to question, is there a phrase, wherein after the crucifixion, his apostles did not recognize him because he was healed of all his injuries?

• edited 2013-05-26 22:04:56
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Huh. I'm not sure if there is a reason given for the apostles not recognizing him. Presumably they'd seen healthy Jesus enough that they'd recognize him without the wounds all over his body.

I always kinda assumed Jesus did not wish them to recognize him immediately, so they didn't, though this gives credence to the "shapeshifter" idea.

Chrome helpfully suggests I actually meant "shoplifter".
  • Justice42 said:

Huh. I'm not sure if there is a reason given for the apostles not recognizing him. Presumably they'd seen healthy Jesus enough that they'd recognize him without the wounds all over his body.

I always kinda assumed Jesus did not wish them to recognize him immediately, so they didn't, though this gives credence to the "shapeshifter" idea.

Chrome helpfully suggests I actually meant "shoplifter".
    Well, if we're to assume that shapeshifter is canon, then how would one go about not recognizing a figure as jesus when it is accepted amongst yourselves that his form is capable of being different?

I should have been less vague, I meant I always assumed Jesus clouded the apostles minds so that they didn't recognize him.

Though, there's not really any problem with Jesus being a shapeshiter, canonically speaking that is.
    Justice42 said:

I should have been less vague, I meant I always assumed Jesus clouded the apostles minds so that they didn't recognize him.

Wait.

Jesus was one of the Fae.

Holy carp.

That WOULD cover both shapeshifting and mind control.

Batman is dyophysite Christ, Superman is monophysitism Christ.

If its for that reason that the concept of Superman needing to hide from humanity to "find himself" or whatever is silly.

And no, I haven't seen "Man of Steel", yet. But figured this warranted mentioning.
  • more religion than mythology, but I have determined that Sylvester II was basically the best pope.

he was thought to be an evil sorcerer by some, because he could write arabic numerals.

• edited 2013-06-15 13:34:24
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."

MWAHAHA COWER IN AWE OF MY SORCERY
  • why is every modern antipope named Gregory XVII

are you really that boring

I mean granted there's only like two of you but come on

• let us also discuss how ridiculously ham some of the various non-Roman popes and patriarchs are.

Ignatius Ephrem Joseph III anyone?

also I liked the last Russian Patriarch better. This dude's kind of an airhead. (Granted, Aleksy II once compared homosexuality to kleptomania, but that sort of thing is par for the course for most Christian leaders unfortunately)

• POPE TRIVIA TIME

continued from here

Victor I was the first Pope to break with a number of other notable bishops, mostly over concerns regarding the celebration of Easter. He is also believed to be the first black Pope, having been born in what is now Libya, near Tripoli.

Pope Zephyrinus excommunicated two separate heretics named Theodotus. Theodotus The Tanner and Theodotus The Moneychanger. His papacy was apparently chiefly concerned with the suppression of heretics. A number of bizarre legends are also attributed to him (mostly concerning ordeals he underwent to discredit heretics), and he is the only Pope to be considered a martyr despite not being killed.

Callixtus I was put in charge of the first papal catacomb before his papacy.

almost no historical information is known of Urban I. He is however, credited with toppling statues via prayer.

Pope Pontian was exiled to Sardinia by the roman Emperor Maximinus Thrax, a persecutor of Christians. He abdicated the papacy while in exile to prevent an authority vacuum in Rome.

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I can't be Satanic because it is like being Ayn Rand and it celebrates all the bad things about human nature. I wonder if any religion is suitable for me?
    Marshmallows from IKEA.

Most metal, most kvlt.

Mo' said:

POPE TRIVIA TIME

continued from here

Victor I was the first Pope to break with a number of other notable bishops, mostly over concerns regarding the celebration of Easter. He is also believed to be the first black Pope, having been born in what is now Libya, near Tripoli.

What where his concerns? 
  • evidently, they did not celebrate it, and he did.
  • the articles on Popes on Wikipedia are written in a strangely casual style compared to much of the rest of said wiki, and they're pretty much all like that at least for the early popes (I am on Severinus, who reigned in the 600s).

Meanwhile at Constantinople, the papal envoys had continued to seek the confirmation of Severinus. At first they were clearly told that unless they would go back and persuade the Pope to accept the Ecthesis, they were wasting their time. To get around this obstacle, the legates sought to persuade an unwell and slowly dying Heraclius that they were not there to make professions of faith, but to transact business. They did say they were quite willing to put the document before the Pope, and if he liked what he saw, they would ask him to sign it. But they made it clear that if the emperor was going to force Severinus to sign it, that all the clergy of the See of Rome would stand together, and such a route would only end in a lengthy and destructive stalemate.
    Over the following year the legates stood firm, and at last a clearly tired Heraclius backed down, broken by opposition both at Constantinople and at Rome against his Monothelite compromise. The emperor granted the envoys their request, and the legates returned to Rome with the news, and Severinus was finally installed as pope on 28 May 640. Isaac quickly withdrew to Ravenna.
  • I was very disappointed to find that the listing of one "Pope Donut" in my bible is a misprint and that the man's name was actually Donus.

very sad