Steven Universe

Comments

• Oh yeah, I've seen that one too. It was really nice to get back to Beach City, and also Steven can superjump like the rest of the Gems now! (I was really expecting his Happy Thought to be Connie, but it being "my three moms are always there for me" was arguably even better.)

Hit the Diamond is still the best though. I watched it like four times in a row.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Haven said:

The second definitely knocked it out of the park though.
    HAAAVEN

...you're right though.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    So glad to be back to the chill stuff
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Also: re: "Barn Mates":

Spoiler:

It was painful to watch, for sure, but at the same time it seemed in character for Steven to be that naive. It was a little weird that he totally overlooked Lapis's history with Peridot though.
    yeah that was weird
    I do like how they didn't even make an effort to pretend the spacecraft crash forming a perfect baseball diamond wasn't extremely contrived
  • "Steven Floats" was good. I definitely agree that it's kind of nice to be back to normality, though I do hope Peridot and Lapis aren't going to be completely absent from the show for a long time.
    Another thing from "Hit The Diamond":

Spoiler:
    Garnet voluntarily unfused.

That's really special, because it shows that despite their love for each other, Ruby and Sapphire are willing to separate when doing so will help protect someone from harm.
  • mOtHeR.

fUcKiN.

cLoDs.

:o)
    I like that Zuke's avatar is an Osomatsu version of herself
    she has thorns on her limbs!

[x]
    little golden books
    That style goes well with Steven Universe's character designs, doesn't it?
    yeah!

[x]
    she's free
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    So, I watched Episodes 48, 55, 58, 60, and 73.

I'd already been spoiled on most of the major plot points, and this show's never going to be on video, so I'm watching it illegally in random order.

Peridot is a lot like a young me, completely obnoxious and with only a little empathy or understanding of others.  Very formal and concerned with things being right, concerned with hierarchy.

Pearl bugs me a lot.  She seems like one of those people who is soft-spoken and even-tempered, and reasonable, but doesn't actually listen to you as much as she seems to, if only because her way is usually right and your way is usually wrong.

Amethyst is pretty much rainbow Dash but less mature.  

Garnet pretty much never talks or does anything.

I like how the intro subtly shows the characters of Pearl and Amethyst by the way they sit.  Pearl sitting all straight and perfect, Amethyst lounging.
    What I like about Pearl is that she tries very hard to present herself as this perfect person who is totally rational and in control of herself at all times, so it's a noticeable contrast when she breaks from that (like her jealousy over Greg in the past)
    that's actually the second intro, in the first one Amethyst doesn't sit at all, she kind of whips her hair nonchalantly
    @Aliroz: Both openings, for reference. They switched about a year ago.

• Aliroz said:

Are we watching the same show? Maybe it's because her personality isn't as extreme as the others, but she is very much the leader of the Gems. Probably because she can always de fuse tense situations.
  • edited 2016-06-09 05:14:04
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Also, watching s2e10, Chillie Ted.

What the crap, dream Pearl!  Don't be a homewrecker!  Don't tell Stevemom to forget about Greg!

I guess I just don't like how Pearl doesn't seem to like Greg at all, but seems to care a lot about Steven, it comes off as a sort of Snape-Lily thing, except if Snape had raised Harry.  Stevemom would have wanted Pearl to not hate Greg.

EDIT:  Pearl, not Rose.
    Aliroz are you watching the series out of order?
  • Haven said:

Aliroz said:

Are we watching the same show? Maybe it's because her personality isn't as extreme as the others, but she is very much the leader of the Gems. Probably because she can always de fuse tense situations.
    i see what you did there

Also I too had the impression that Garnet never talked or did anything in the very early episodes, but that definitely changed somewhere in the middle of the first season.
    Aliroz said:

I guess I just don't like how Rose doesn't seem to like Greg at all, but seems to care a lot about Steven, it comes off as a sort of Snape-Lily thing, except if Snape had raised Harry.  Stevemom would have wanted Pearl to not hate Greg.

Did you mean to say Pearl there or...? Rose definitely cares about Greg if you watch the flashbacks about them.
    I'm pretty sure he meant to say Pearl
  • edited 2016-06-09 05:16:37
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Anonus said:

Aliroz are you watching the series out of order?

Yes.

Who the crap is Lapis and why the crap does anybody care about her being in the ocean trapped with some evil someone?

So, from This episode onwards, I'm watching it in order, because IT'S A FREE COUNTRY I CAN START SERIES WHERE I WANT!
    You've gotta watch the episodes in order for it to make sense

We don't know everything about Lapis yet, honestly
    Also, watch out for "Keeping It Together" and "Gem Drill", which terrified Centie (and the latter me)
  • Aliroz said:

Who the crap is Lapis and why the crap does anybody care about her being in the ocean trapped with some evil someone?

Watch the episodes "Mirror Gem", "Ocean Gem", "The Return" and "Jailbreak" (in that order) if you want to know the answer to this.

But also yes you should really just watch the show in order from the start...
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I can try hooking you up if you want.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)

Okay, that'd be fun.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Aliroz said:

Okay, that'd be fun.
    I'll get everything together and fire it off to you tomorrow.
  • Aliroz said:

first of all, how dare you
  • Haven said:

Aliroz said:

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Haven said:

Aliroz said:

Odradek said:
    #confirmed
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Aliroz said:

Pearl bugs me a lot.  She seems like one of those people who is soft-spoken and even-tempered, and reasonable, but doesn't actually listen to you as much as she seems to, if only because her way is usually right and your way is usually wrong.

What I like about Pearl is that she tries very hard to present herself as this perfect person who is totally rational and in control of herself at all times, so it's a noticeable contrast when she breaks from that (like her jealousy over Greg in the past)

These are the kinds of qualities that make Pearl relatable to me tbh

Of the original 4 main characters she's easily the most flawed, and a lot of those seem to stem from a perfectionism that is really just a front for a lot of neuroses, coupled with a failure to properly consider other points of view
    When's the Summer of Steven starting?
  • I'm glad to see Lapis and Peridot in there since I was worried they were going to disappear for a while.
  • edited 2016-07-04 16:53:08
    Also: "every weeknight for the summer"????

I assume that's using a weird TV-network definition of "summer" which doesn't actually imply we're getting 30+ new episodes over the next couple months, but if it's more than one week that's already great!
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    What if though. What if?