Steven Universe

edited 2015-06-05 20:58:43 in General Media
A thread for the show with the rocks

It was bothering me that the Gems seemed younger in the flashback episode, Story for Steven. Then I realized something: with Rose still around, they naturally treated her like a parent, so they acted more childlike. With Steven around, they mature a bit to reflect their new roles as parents.

Comments

• Corpse_Bride. Ten broken bottles, A right-hook.
    Do you crave that mineral?

I'll show myself out now. 
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    What do you think about the theory that gems are created according to caste lines, so there are multiple Pearls, Jaspers, and so on?

Or that there exist non-fused Opals?
  • Whores! we want "poems that kill."
    Assassin poems, Poems that shoot
    guns. Poems that wrestle cops into alleys
    and take their weapons leaving them dead
    The first one seems viable, considering Jasper's words at the end of "The Return"

Second one though, hm, what gives with that?
  • edited 2015-04-15 14:27:59
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Fusion Gems seem to be based on combinations of color and light, not physical properties of the stones themselves; mixing a pearl and an amethyst on a molecular level will likely not give you an opal.

So if there's a gem for every kind of precious stone, it might be that there's a non-fused Opal, who may or may not resemble the Opal we know and love.

It's more of an assumption than any conjecture based on evidence.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    People keep making comics about Steven either trying to kill himself to bring Rose back, or Steven actually dying which brings Rose back, and I NEED THEM TO FUCKING STOP.
    First one needs to stop.

Second one isn't completely against character, and the idea throws an interesting wrench into Steven's relationship with the rest of the gems, so I'll allow it
    I don't think you understand. The second one has no more Steven.
    I did not expect that. Amazing.
    I'm never going to get used to Garnet's new outfit.
  • Corpse_Bride. Ten broken bottles, A right-hook.
    Why not Yarrun?
    I liked the diagonal color shift. The new vertical one is weird.
  • I slightly prefer the original design (both in color scheme and in having a big ol cube of hair) but I don't really mind the new design.
    Also, the old outfit made Garnet look like she was wearing pants with her breastplate.

Now it looks like she's wearing a breastplate over a onesie.
    Garnet also now has purple skin instead of brown. Which messes with me.

Other than that I'm fine with it.
  • “And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” – Roald Dahl
    That little hourglass from the pilot short seems like it'd be insanely useful

Like all you have to do is insult Steven and you get a "save point" you can go back to if things head south
    That's why it's not something they use casually. You might load too far back.
  • edited 2015-05-14 00:46:48

I would like to watch Steven Universe, but it's not on dvd and I don't have that channel.

Someday, in 2020, I'll have seen all of Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, and Steven Universe.

And none of you guys will care about those shows anymore.

*Law-abiding-citizen-problems*
  • “And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” – Roald Dahl
    Aliroz said:

Legally?

Of course not. Cartoon Network pirated their own show and put illegal copies of it on this shady website called "cartoonnetwork.com".
    There are also Hella clips on the YouTube channel. Some of them basically the entire episode
  • If I was company, that's what I'd do.

Get a deal with the illegal downloading services to make money that is more than you would get by legally doing things.  Ad revenue.  Like if Napster had ads.

Except it's illegal because the company is making secret money that they don't have to pay to anybody.

(has no idea how this works).

<Also, I'm pretty sure that if I was a pirate, I'd name my cartoon-network streaming site Cartoon Network.com>
    \

OKAY ANYWAYS I AM GOING TO GO WATCH SOME STUFF.
  • what are you looking at? Keep scrollin'
    just watch stuff on KissCartoon.
    I GET IT
    Okay, so. Maximum Capacity. Watched it again.

I think what happened is that Amethyst loved Rose deeply (not romantically, like Pearl did). Meeting Greg was exciting and new and the two were fast friends. But some time after Rose started spending more time with Greg, she began to resent him for taking her away. And that resentment only grew deeper, more bitter, more pronounced, after Rose gave up her life to fuel Steven's.

But no matter how much she resented Greg, Amethyst still missed Rose. And so she reached out to him, and they mourned and comforted each other by watching Little Butler. Rose was their world, and watching Little Butler allowed them to pretend that the world didn't exist, remembering a past they used to share, when everything was novel and funny. (also maybe Amethyst sometimes used shapeshifting to pretend to be Rose and they did some really messed up stuff) They became reliant on each other's company, to the detriment of themselves and others.

But something changed: Greg remembered that Steven needed him, and so he walked away, leaving Amethyst to mourn by herself. And then when the storage unit opened years later, full of old memories, Amethyst saw a way to lose herself and Greg in Little Butler and took it.
    I just realized that I can hear pearls piano music as played by a guitar and a trumpet.

And now I can visualize Pearl with a poncho and a cowboy hat at any time.

Join me in this new, wonderful world
    GARNET: "Hello, this...is Mom Universe. Yes. The children are playing swords. Sorry, playing with swords. They're bleeding. Oh no, they are dead. Don't call again."

GARNET: Sorry, I panicked.

I had to rewind this bit like 4 times because I couldn't stop laughing
  • I always thought Anonus would appreciate the sound effect that plays after that. I'm pretty sure it was straight out of Rocky & Bullwinkle.
  • edited 2015-05-22 12:12:54
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I think the lesson in 'Alone Together' is "love takes work and love takes time." They were never going to get it right the first time. So much they didn't know about each other, so much they still had to learn.

But they did it, and they're better for it. 

They made the mistake together, and that was a valuable lesson. 

It was an experience. 

EDIT: Or you know as Sugar says it, it's actually about puberty, and how everything's confusing and disorienting and everything's changed. So not entirely about your first time, whoops.
  • Haven said:

I always thought Anonus would appreciate the sound effect that plays after that. I'm pretty sure it was straight out of Rocky & Bullwinkle.

what episode is this
  • also the circa 2001 Cartoon Network logo (that has somehow been updated for HD) at the end of the show is a semi-painful reminder of days gone by

Haven said:

I always thought Anonus would appreciate the sound effect that plays after that. I'm pretty sure it was straight out of Rocky & Bullwinkle.

what episode is this
    "Fusion Cuisine"
  • edited 2015-05-25 01:08:13
    Corpse_Bride. Ten broken bottles, A right-hook.
    GARNET: "Hello, this...is Mom Universe. Yes. The children are playing swords. Sorry, playing with swords. They're bleeding. Oh no, they are dead. Don't call again."

GARNET: Sorry, I panicked.

I had to rewind this bit like 4 times because I couldn't stop laughing

Here's the video of just that scene.

One mark for this being above in my book is that she has to correct herself about the swords "the children are playing swords, sorry, playing with Swords"
  • yeah that timpani thing is something that was used back in The Olden Days to denote a punchline

of course Fractured Fairy Tales/Aesop and Son used it best, but The Flintstones used it too (much as I enjoy it, a lot of the things it played straight were considered kinda cheesy even at the time)
    If this is how all Lapis/Peridot art looks like, I can get behind this ship
    The funniest part of "Love Letters" was Garnet's casual "I didn' write that!"
  • Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb.
    I’ve caught up on Steven Universe.

I think that I'm hooked now.
    yesssss goooooddddd
  • Half-and-half Bastard
  • edited 2015-06-09 06:45:01
    Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb.
    That was one of my favourite jokes, too.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Jokes? She literally watches him sleep. It's adorable.
    I have begun watching this show, just finished episode 20.

It is Good.

Also I have changed my avatar to my favorite crystal gem, har har har.
    couldn't handle the centipeedle episode

need to lie down for a bit
    I am caught up.

Currently getting the kids into the show.
    What kids?