Heaper Updates

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Perhaps there should be a place for slightly older nerds.
  • Yeah.

It's funny, the people at SA say that TVT is full of manchildren, but really it's just full of children.
  • Children.

What a strange word.

Chiillldrennnnnn
  • edited 2012-04-30 11:57:13
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Naney: it is. Literally. I don't think I've seen a new troper in a while (at least on the forums) that wasn't in high school or even middle school. The average age of the forum population has swung way lower since 2009 or so, and the few people that are above, oh, 21, gave up on pretty much everything except the Old Folks Home and maybe the old Heap ages ago. (A few still post in Media and Writer's Block, but I don't really hang out there.) 

If I wanted to relive high school over and over, I'd go hang out on Facebook. And honestly, it's starting to look like a better option these days. :P

The wiki may well be a different story, but as the two don't really get along and there's no real dedicated discussion area for wiki-focused users that isn't the Workshops (and those aren't really representative of either faction), we never hear much from them.
  • I for one liked going on both but the relationship has soured.
  • It's weird, because I was definitely part of that demographic shift, so I feel kinda responsible. :/
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Well, I don't really mind all that much as long as the quality is there, but for every Naney or AU or Tre we get, we seem to get a tnu or a Chagen or a DLC as well, to say nothing of the people like Made of Meat or Aiko who need actual professional help, and not an echo chamber.
    One thing that I noticed about TVT when I first got on there was that, while the userbase definitely skewed young, they seemed to at least be interesting, worthwhile people for the most part. Kids, perhaps, but smart kids.

Of course, teen!Imi was a goddamn idiot so I feel like I can't be too critical, really...
  • I wasn't all that great when I showed up, but I like to think I got better.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Whose DLC?
    Downloadable Content.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I often felt weird in that most of the people I interacted with at TVT were younger than me, but seemed more mature.

Sometimes I feel like I have, like, the mind of a 15-year-old, which makes me feel defective, for lack of a better word.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Don't feel too bad, CA. Sometimes, I feel like I still haven't quite gotten past my teenage years in some aspects of my life.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I am definitely a late bloomer.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    As am I.

I've always been fascinated by how little the four-year age gap between AU and me seems to matter.
  • edited 2012-04-30 14:40:51
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    I see, well there is a 6 year gap between me and MF
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Eh, CA doesn't seem immature.

Perhaps childish, but for me immaturity also implies a lack of self awareness.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    The otherkin stuff was kinda strange, but she wasn't really a jerk to anyone or disrupted threads. 

I certainly agree what she probably doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as those two.

I always wondered why she left.

But then again, people just disappearing off TV Tropes isn't new...

I miss BLAM. :(
  • I always wondered why she left.

Harassment, if my subsequent (and very, very infrequent) communications with her are anything to go by.

People wouldn't leave her alone.

Girl was weird as hell, but she was sociable, nice, and never started any problems, to my knowledge. 

• I honestly dunno who that was.
  • edited 2012-04-30 15:56:55
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

"Girl was weird as hell, but she was sociable, nice, and never started any problems, to my knowledge."

That about sums it up perfectly. 

^Troper from a while back. Basically, she believed this:

Otakukin-a combination of the words otaku and otherkin--was coined tospecifically refer to those otherkin who are heavily influenced by, live with/in, deal with, or are otherwise intimately connected to an Anime/Manga/Live-Action/VGM or related 'dimension', 'world', or paradigm. The initial concept of a supposedly 'fictional' paradigm and/or cosmology having partial or complete basis in an alternative reality is not uncommon among otherkin. 

Sections of the community accept as reasonable extrapolations of fact Tolkien-esque elves and fae, Pernian dragons, and other phenotypes resembling or derived from fictional sources. There are numerous theories behind the acceptance of such a concept, ranging from the creators of such fiction's unconcious 'tapping' of these alternate realities to repeated 'imprinting' on the Collective Unconcious (Dreaming, Astral Plane, et al) lending energy and therefore reality to said paradigms. I find either equally potentially valid, as well as many other related and offshoot theories which are too numerous and complex to list here with any hope of being accurate or comprehensive.

Suffice to say thatAnime/Manga/Live Action/Games/etc., which draw heavily upon Japanese/Chinese/Eastern mythology/cosmology/mysticism in general, appears to have one way or another made its 'imprint' known upon the metaphysical world. I've come to accept this through my own personal experiences with these paradigm, as well as an increasing number of unsolicited encounters and external confirmations by and with otherkin experiencing similar influences and shifts.

There seems to be a certain amount of resistance to the idea of Anime and Anime-related paradigms being as valid as the various other 'accepted' 'Kin paradigms/pheonotypes, a somewhat disconcerting and ironic contradiction in an alternative community that accepts everything from therianthropes to extraterrestrial fae. The subsequent apparent lack of acceptance expressed toward those who are influenced by this paradigm is what ultimately led to my decision to build the Temple. It's intended to be a small resource and recourse to those 'Kin dealing with this emerging paradigm, as well as a place for them to learn more about 'Kin-relevant aspects of Anime, Manga, VGMs, etc., as well as providing some links to the general Otherkin community. In the future I hope to have some relevant links as well as an image gallery, information exchange, media recommendations, and the like

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I found out about that whole thing a while back.

DLC stands for Dark Lady Celebrian, if anyone's confused.
  • Ahhhh. Read her ED page.
    Yeah, her rather interesting choice of religion made her an acceptable target in a lot of places, and got her on ED's shitlist long before TVT ever heard of her. It was too bad, really, because aside from talking too fast on Vent, she didn't really seem all that bad.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I only knew her by the ED page.
    ED has been known to exaggerate how obnoxious someone is in certain cases, either for the lulz or because it was a grudgewank that shouldn't have been there in the first place. In this case, she was certainly as weird as they said, but not quite as annoying.

DLC's ED page just reeked of "grudgewank".

?
  • DLC's ED page just reeked of "grudgewank".
    What the hell is grudgewank?
  • The person was mad at her and retaliated with making an ED page about her.
  • Slang term for when something on a site that chronicles "fail" (such as ED) is written because one person has a personal grudge with another, rather than because it's funny or interesting.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-04-30 16:15:50
    Going by Tropian etymology, it would literally be "revenge theories". So basically, yeah, exactly what Nane and Laz said.

Also, yay, I'm considered one of the not terrible tropers!

When you're mad at someone or dislike them, and you decide the best way to exercise that feeling is make a lengthy internet article talking about them...

...and then you stalk that person so you can maintain said article. 
    People hold grudges with internet people?
    Duh!

....I do that too.

>.>

<.<

>.>

• People hold grudges with internet people?

Unfortunately.

• edited 2012-04-30 16:20:28
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    The term itself came from fandom_wank, and referred to people doing pretty much the same thing there -- posting about drama related to someone they didn't like simply because they didn't like them and wanted the rest of f_w to flame them. Usually, the response in cases like this (once they figure out what you're trying to do) is "We are not your personal army. Go away."

ED, unfortunately, didn't have a policy of telling grudgewankers to go away for a long time, so crappy attack articles started piling up with no one to fix them or update them. There's still quite a few pages there on old drama that, as far as I can tell, was never a big deal except to the person that originally wrote the article; they've gone years without major updates and may well just be dead.
    (USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
  • edited 2012-04-30 16:20:18
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Man...remember when individual users where being added to the ED page, and tropers where like "I sure hope I get added to the ED page."

It was...it was just sad.

I did tell a number of people to just add themselves if they cared that much.

^ THAT'LL LEARN YA!

v PIME TARADOX! 
  • edited 2012-04-30 16:20:32
    The sadness will last forever.

O_o

• I was always kinda disapointed in SA for never noticing all the stupid/disturbing shit I've said.

^^ Hey, Morbid Forest Y U NO KEEP YOUR POST?

You agreed with me. 

It was nice...

People in SA should just check people's quote pages. Quoting people out of context was a hobby of mine for a while.

Even I still have some pretty disturbing things on my page. What's worse, is they're still weird even with context.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-04-30 16:25:35
    Nane, the stupidisturbing stuff's kind of offset by your swagger. :P

You're cool enough that it doesn't matter.

In other news, all of the quotes on my page were put there by me. I don't say anything too weird so it's sort of boring but wwhatevver.