The Homestuck Heap of the Heapers' Hangout Forum

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Hmmm...a few people have said that they hope Act 7 is a walkaround. Considering that this is how EarthBound ended, this makes a bit of sense.
  • edited 2016-04-12 14:24:44
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Relatedly, if they have the balls to use "Smiles and Tears" or "Pollyanna (I Believe in You)" (or a soundalike thereof), I'm going to cry my eyes out.
    UPD8

THE LAST ONE

Twin Peaks is no longer the best anime ever
  • ...it actually ended.

Thanks for playing.
  • kill living beings
    well, that was fun.
  • I'm not caught up, but I did watch the last flash because I'm impatient.

Was beautiful! I feel like I understood the majority of what was going on, too, though I'm sure the extra context would make it a bit more understandable.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    ... Well, that was a thing.
    Probably the most amazing thing about all of this: THEY GOT TO BUILD CAN TOWN ;_;
  • Well. Not looking forward to the grumbling about this one.

It was a good ending. Issues will come later. But. Good ending. I'm glad I got to join the ride.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I look forward to catching up, and enjoyed being on the ride for as long as I was before taking a break, which all things considered was still for a very long time. Probably the longest, but if not, it's definitely up there.

This is going to be fun.
    Kex: Yeah, the grumbling has already started. I have to wonder what people expected. 
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i don't think i understood it, but i don't feel like analyzing it or arguing about it right now.

Pretty animation.
    Well, actually, an observation: it was very different from how Problem Sleuth ended, and Problem Sleuth had a very satisfying ending.

But i don't think anyone would have been happy with more of the same.

Homestuck has been a thing for so long it's just weird to think of it being over at last.
  • kill living beings
    eh. they opened a big door. pretty much the same.
    that is an interesting parallel now you mention it

i dunno

good animation
    There is a lot of "HOW DARE YOU NOT WRAP UP EVERY SINGLE LOOSE END" going around, mixed with the occasional "I didn't see my favorite character, where are they?"

I don't think even Tolkien wrapped up every loose end. :P
    Also, I keep thinking of the last episode of Mad Men for some reason.
    my favourite character was the imp with the umbrella, where were they?

well, i'm going to bed
  • yknow hussie did it right. there is no way to properly end homestuck, and i think he realized before the end of it all the strongest point in this fandom is our ability to interpret and create off of his work, and creating a definitive ending would ultimately crush that and a significant part of the people who participate in this community. throughout all of the pauses and everything, this community has created some of the most incredible and diverse content ever. i think a lot of people who have been a part of homestuck for a long time will attest that at a point it stopped being about the comic itself and more about the characters and our personal interactions with them. there is so much incredible content out there that has sprung not just from the work of the comic but how each and every person has adapted it to themselves. hussie has legitimately just handed us the ability to do that to the end of time with this comic, he’s basically just told us here, it’s yours now and i couldn’t be more grateful.
    i havent seen the ending, and wont for several months, but given the reactions i've seen im pretty sure i know what happened, and this response to it seems pretty good
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I think I'll re-read all of MSPA at some point, from the first page of Jail Break to the last page of Homestuck.
  • kill living beings
    Tachyon said:

my favourite character was the imp with the umbrella, where were they?

well, i'm going to bed

jack killed CD way back in cascade. sorry
  • edited 2016-04-13 05:23:57
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm just gonna leave this here:

Edit: one more thing. If you're curious about whether there will be anything resembling an epilogue to this ending, yes, I've been thinking about that for some time. It'll take a while to produce though, whatever specific form it ends up taking. Working on Collide took months, and came right down to the wire. I've got more time now though obviously. But that said, I'm not in a huge hurry at this point. Keep an eye out here for developments. There should be plenty of other news in coming months too.

It seems like the upd8 tag is calming down because of that. And with that, I'm going to bed.

Though I do wonder when Paradox Space is going to update again.
  • lee4hmz said:

There is a lot of "HOW DARE YOU NOT WRAP UP EVERY SINGLE LOOSE END" going around, mixed with the occasional "I didn't see my favorite character, where are they?"

I'm pretty happy with the ending, but I also want to post "Wow, I can't believe there was an anticlimax in Homestuck"
  • kill living beings
    lol mean
    I think a lot of the complaints are because Homestuck has been running for so long that people have simply forgotten certain things, and felt like they were owed a recap.
  • lee4hmz said:

I think a lot of the complaints are because Homestuck has been running for so long that people have simply forgotten certain things, and felt like they were owed a recap.

Oh god

the last update being one of Hussie's recaps would have been perfect.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I dunno, I have pretty much always expected a sizable amount of dumb comments (which are just magnified by Tumblr, where a lot of the fan stuff is at), since it got reasonably. Which is, what, since at least before the Newgrounds crash? A long time.
  • kill living beings
    if anything's disappointing it's that i can actually watch the updates instead of crashing someone's website.
  • edited 2016-04-13 05:59:05
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Crystal: That's true, too; I remember there were quite a few people confused by Cascade, too, enough that AH had to post an explanation.
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    i saw a tumblr post saying that the end of homestuck was a queerbaiting mess and i'm like '???'
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Homestuck, queerbaiting.

What.

Pandering, I guess you could argue, if you're cynical and also a bit of an asshole, but that's not what queerbaiting means.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    lee4hmz said:

I dunno. Up through "Cascade", even parts of Act 6, Hussie was really good at wrapping up loose ends. So a fan could be forgiven for assuming that Huss intended to wrap EVERYTHING up at the story's end, and being frustrated that it didn't happen.
  • I mean, they sorta DIRECTLY foreshadowed the lack of closure by pretty much confirming "yup, no arcs IRL, sorry kiddos, HS is doing something a lot more esoteric!"

Honestly the story proper was pretty much done when they brought Vriska back. Everything past that was sweet, well earned catharsis that gave the story a genuine feeling of completeness even without a direct ending to every plot thread.
    TBH i feel like the story that *i* was following ended BEFORE Vriska came back, before Caliborn's little puppet show, shortly after the GAME OVER. If that had been the end, it'd be a bad ending, obviously, so i'm glad it didn't end there. But it was the last time i felt like i was following the story i had been following. After that, the characters underwent a bunch of developments we weren't privy to as they happened, and even now, i find the idea that bringing back Vriska, of all people, would magically solve everybody's interpersonal drama, a little hard to swallow. Certainly i would have liked to have seen that happen, with dialogue and conflict and character growth, not in the form of a short flash cartoon with hopscotch and Facebook and ring-a-ring-a-rosie

But anyway . . .

i kinda restrained myself before because, while watching the last couple animations, the Act 6 ending and Act 7, i didn't really connect to the events on a personal level, and felt underwhelmed, and i didn't want to be a buzzkill

but, having taken some time to reflect on stuff, this was a good ending

if this were Problem Sleuth, Act 7 would have been a lengthy battle between the 'legendary heroes' and LE, probably in the form of an enormous flash cartoon. That could go one of two ways, he wins or the kids win, and it's obvious which ending most fans would pick. Unlike PS, though, Homestuck had already tied up most of its loose ends at this point, or at least, the important ones. There literally was just that fight left, and maybe leaving it to the fans' imagination is the best possible decision.
    so they were stuck in a home

and they escaped the home

hm
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    plus the home is themselves
    idk how to feel about this

i feel stupid for not getting it

i was still wondering how Caliborn got the ring of void, but i guess if that's the ending that doesn't even matter
    Pose as a team.  The world is real.
    I'm still curious about where Sburb itself came from (I'm suspecting at this point that Echidna and Yaldabaoth had something to do with it), and I also wonder if we'll get any stories about their further adventures in the new universe (this could well be like the PS extras).
  • edited 2016-04-13 15:27:42
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I can approve of the basic message behind what Wicked linked, but I do feel like [S] Collide. directly contradicts the "powerups and videogame processions" part.

I'm probably being pedantic, but I'm still not entirely sure what to make of that particular Flash in the context of everything else.
  • kill living beings
    Tachyon said:

TBH i feel like the story that *i* was following ended BEFORE Vriska came back, before Caliborn's little puppet show, shortly after the GAME OVER. If that had been the end, it'd be a bad ending, obviously, so i'm glad it didn't end there. But it was the last time i felt like i was following the story i had been following. After that, the characters underwent a bunch of developments we weren't privy to as they happened, and even now, i find the idea that bringing back Vriska, of all people, would magically solve everybody's interpersonal drama, a little hard to swallow.

same

i thought it was kind of interesting that she was still her cruel self to... herself, and i thought maybe there'd be more development there, but nah

wicked's images are nice though

i do like that the lord english fight was depicted in that stupid way many pages ago. fuckin boss fights man
    The God Tiers are in their anime heaven, all's right with the world.
    i'm not over how good this ending was, in all seriousness

i might do the thing Section said, reread the whole MSPA from start to finish

sometime, anyway
    looking back on Act 6 . . . one of the things i was very mixed on was just how meta it got

i mean it was always meta but Act 6 was literally self-parody a lot of the time

i feel that works better with hindsight, with those last scenes of Caliborn who 'wanted to play a game' and Calliope as a storyteller.  There were self-reflexive themes running throughout the act, it was Homestuck in dialogue with itself.

of course this was all foreshadowed at the end of Act 5, with the literal shattering of the fourth wall and all