The Homestuck Heap of the Heapers' Hangout Forum

Comments

• edited 2016-03-31 16:10:38
    kill living beings
    yeah I mean it's obvious

I just had this idea in my head that their respective bugaboos (blood and gender) and their obvious actual relevance on beforus (mostly bullshit and worrying) indicated a highly problematical belief that race problems don't exist irl but gender ones do

on further reflection I was being silly
  • edited 2016-03-31 16:15:34
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I think Kankri did have a point about how Beforus's system of taking care of lowbloods was carried out in a rather condescending and demeaning way. The narrative even drew a direct comparison between that system and those pet cuttlefish that Feferi kept in cages back on Alternia. It's just that, even when he has a point, Kankri states it in the worst possible way and draws the wrong conclusions from it.
  • edited 2016-03-31 16:44:29
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I am very much awake, and I intend to stay that way.
    Also, Why are we so awesome.
  • "You're a good kisser, even when you have cat lips!"
    "WHAT"

Also, I'm a little worried for Terezi here, but then again she's been known to punch above her weight class.
  • kill living beings
    MetaFour said:

I think Kankri did have a point about how Beforus's system of taking care of lowbloods was carried out in a rather condescending and demeaning way. The narrative even drew a direct comparison between that system and those pet cuttlefish that Feferi kept in cages back on Alternia. It's just that, even when he has a point, Kankri states it in the worst possible way and draws the wrong conclusions from it.

yes

god he is such an ass, he skeeved me almost as much as greaser creep
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    i wonder if kankri owns a fedora
  • That seems more Cronus's speed.
    hmm true
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    p sure it's been established that Caliborn is more the fedora type?

Kankri is an awful person but he has an adorable sweater
  • kill living beings
    he also gets an actual fedora on his head if briefly so there's that.
  • 24 hours* until the end of the act that has gone on for four and a half years!

*or more**
    **or less
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Oh Jegus, it's actually happening tomorrow.
    By the way, have I ever elaborated on my theory that the Cherubs represent different attitudes toward writing? Or, y'know, mentioned it here at all?

I only got up to Murderstuck Mk. II, so I'm curious as to how that theory bears out in the latter parts of the story.
    I don't think so, no

Also, I was blabbing about what I think will happen in the ending over in my personal thread. It may well be dead wrong, but still.
  • kill living beings
    they're so straightforwardly reader types, is all

but I do not remember you mentioning such a thing, no

and should I know what murder stuck means because there's a lot of murders.
    The first Murderstuck was back in 2011, when Eridan and Gamzee killed a bunch of trolls. The second, as far as I know, was [S] GAME OVER.
    OK, I'll try to be clear and concise.

To me, Caliborn and Calliope represent not only opposite ways of looking at other people's creative works, but similarly opposite ways that fans become authors and authors perceive their characters and worlds.

Caliborn is the author as arbiter, the escapist whose focus is on power fantasy. He writes fiction as a way of expressing desires and emotions that he cannot execute in reality through inserting himself into the story, whether as a character of incredible power or as god and final say in his story-world. He is every impotent egotist who writes terrible self-insert fic, but he is also the writer who prioritises plot over character. He is efficacious and active, but also a cruel, petty, immature twerp. His intelligence is primarily mechanical, plot-oriented, objectifying.

Calliope is the author as conduit, the escapist who seeks to live vicariously through others. She writes fiction as a way of being other people and experiencing emotions and events which she is too afraid to execute in reality due to crippling shyness, whether as an idealised version of herself or by simply taking a group of characters of her own creation or from another work and just "letting them do whatever," divesting herself of authorial power. She is every introverted enthusiast too crippled by social anxiety and awkwardness to actually live her own life, but she is also the writer who prioritises character over plot. She is sympathetic and thoughtful, but extremely passive and unwilling to take personal responsibility for the repercussions of her actions, good or bad. While she appears more intelligent than Caliborn, she is simply intelligent in an entirely different way: She is mostly lacking in guile where her twin is abundant in it, yet is far more knowledgeable and wide-ranging in that knowledge than he would ever choose to be.

...that wasn't particularly concise.
    lee4hmz said:

The first Murderstuck was back in 2011, when Eridan and Gamzee killed a bunch of trolls. The second, as far as I know, was [S] GAME OVER.

That is exactly the one to which I refer. Even Gamzee dies for once.
  • kill living beings

OK, I'll try to be clear and concise.

To me, Caliborn and Calliope represent not only opposite ways of looking at other people's creative works, but similarly opposite ways that fans become authors and authors perceive their characters and worlds.

Caliborn is the author as arbiter, the escapist whose focus is on power fantasy. He writes fiction as a way of expressing desires and emotions that he cannot execute in reality through inserting himself into the story, whether as a character of incredible power or as god and final say in his story-world. He is every impotent egotist who writes terrible self-insert fic, but he is also the writer who prioritises plot over character. He is efficacious and active, but also a cruel, petty, immature twerp. His intelligence is primarily mechanical, plot-oriented, objectifying.

Calliope is the author as conduit, the escapist who seeks to live vicariously through others. She writes fiction as a way of being other people and experiencing emotions and events which she is too afraid to execute in reality due to crippling shyness, whether as an idealised version of herself or by simply taking a group of characters of her own creation or from another work and just "letting them do whatever," divesting herself of authorial power. She is every introverted enthusiast too crippled by social anxiety and awkwardness to actually live her own life, but she is also the writer who prioritises character over plot. She is sympathetic and thoughtful, but extremely passive and unwilling to take personal responsibility for the repercussions of her actions, good or bad. While she appears more intelligent than Caliborn, she is simply intelligent in an entirely different way: She is mostly lacking in guile where her twin is abundant in it, yet is far more knowledgeable and wide-ranging in that knowledge than he would ever choose to be.

...that wasn't particularly concise.
    that's reasonable

i read caliborn's writing as self-parody (since hussie has a tendency to the mechanical and probably used to be more dude-bro-y) and calliope's as self-consciously pathetic (the "callie OC tries to wake people up and help at critical moments but doesn't have any effect" bit, particularly) but that works too
    I think both are ways of parodying some of Hussie's own bad habits to some degree, but people overlook that because, well, Caliborn's an incredible fuckwad and Calliope's mostly benevolent if ineffectual.
  • Upd8. (If mspaintadventures,com crashes, it's on youtube. If youtube crashes, I don't know what we're gonna do.)

That was just so good, I was so giddy through the entire thing. Although I did kind of get confused at a climactic moment because I was asking myself "Wait, which legendary sword is that?" and it took me a while to remember Roxy had taken Bro's sword.
  • edited 2016-04-06 06:05:57
    kill living beings
    it's just a bunch of fights so i wasn't too into it but i like all the crazy powers they all have now (including fraymotifs!!)

especially the feared Summon Perfectly Generic Object
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I liked the return of the strife combat.

I also liked Karkat fighting Clover.
  • Haven said:

Upd8. (If mspaintadventures,com crashes, it's on youtube. If youtube crashes, I don't know what we're gonna do.)

If youtube crashes, we claim the streaming servers of the very gods themselves
  • edited 2016-04-06 06:16:17
    kill living beings
    oh yeah, and off key rex duodecim angelus. good shit. that piano thing, i don't know what's going on there

oh yeah and the walk animations. that is SO video game
    the weird powers were the only thing about this one that made it somewhat harder to follow, otherwise straightforward

this does also raise the important question of what various characters Undertale bullet patterns would be, and what their spare conditions would be
  • edited 2016-04-06 18:51:19
    (2015 self)

So, that end of act animation.

HOLY CRAP DAD EGBERT/CROCKER RIGHT OUTTA NOWHERE!

• Something that did bug me is the fact that Team Dave should have waited for Lord Spades and Spade Slick to finish fighting and then take out whoever lives.
  • Maybe she did the mindy thing and realized that course of action wouldn't go well, for whatever reason? Maybe they would have talked out their differences and realized how much they had in common after stabbing each other a few dozen times.

It's how he befriended Karkat after all.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    It occurred to me that, for most of the fight, characters just wailed on each other, without those blows really seeming to affect anyone, until arbitrary points where they suddenly did. (In TV Tropes terms, it's How Much More Can He Take.) 

And then I realized: it's because they're video game characters. In many games (especially from the 16-bit era that the pixel art references), you die when your health drops to zero—but up until that precise moment, you can fight just as hard as if you had full health. It's just less clear in this animation, because we don't get to see anyone's health bars.
  • kill living beings
    yeah, this was way more video gamey. like, in GAME OVER people die when they are stabbed, whereas this is obviously supposed to look sort of like a video of playing the xmen arcade game (seriously, all that walking)

in particular englishjack's spray bit
    Question: Has it yet been established what the Doom and Blood aspects actually do?

Again, I'm waiting for the comic to end to finish it, but I'm genuinely curious.
  • kill living beings
    I read that part of the fan wiki the other day and the answer seemed to be no
    Yeah...

Something that did bug me is the fact that Team Dave should have waited for Lord Spades and Spade Slick to finish fighting and then take out whoever lives.

for that matter, before steeling up to attack both, maybe they should have just started attacking English!Jack?  Spades was a former ally, and might have sided with them against Lord English

i realize Spades attacked them, but they were showing every intention of attacking him, and also stabbing people is just kind of what he does

• edited 2016-04-06 21:50:01
    (2015 self)
    Yeah, poor spades.  Karkat liked him.
    okay so why do I have Umbral Ultimatum (the music from [S] Jade: Enter) stuck in my head after this update?
    Tachyon said:

Something that did bug me is the fact that Team Dave should have waited for Lord Spades and Spade Slick to finish fighting and then take out whoever lives.

for that matter, before steeling up to attack both, maybe they should have just started attacking English!Jack?  Spades was a former ally, and might have sided with them against Lord English

i realize Spades attacked them, but they were showing every intention of attacking him, and also stabbing people is just kind of what he does

Terezi was directly involved in betraying and exiling Spades Slick during the trolls' session. Hence why Spades spent so much time fighting her specifically. So if Terezi recognized that this was her SS, then she knew he ultimately wasn't going to leave her alone.
    ah, i don't actually remember that part, i've forgotten too much plot i guess

relatedly i think the deaths/apparent deaths in this video would have more impact for me if it weren't for the long pause

i got to thinking of Homestuck as something i used to enjoy, and we've seen all these kids die so many times . . .
    I'd forgotten that part myself, and someone on TVT had to remind me.
  • Nother upd8.

No words, just smiles.
    I went back and re-read the end of Caliborn's "masterpiece", and I notice that all four alpha kids are alive at the end...and we don't get to see what happens to them. If it's true that the beta kids have been sealed away in the juju, I wonder if it works like a lotus flower, and they'll just pop right out at some point, then zap back to wherever the beta kids are to win the game after (somehow) defeating LE.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Update!
  • These are so cute.

So much of Homestuck is about characters' separation from each other--physically or otherwise--so seeing everyone come together like this really is the perfect epilogue.
    People on tumblr are convinced that this is a trick of some sort, but I think they just can't believe that it's over unless there's a tragedy. Thing is, we saw the potential tragedy already (Caliborn's "masterpiece"), and I'm sure that Vriska and the sprites will think of something to bring LE down, it's just that we haven't seen it yet.
    UPD8

HE REMEMBERED ;_;
    i know this is negative but, tbh, i'm feeling pretty underwhelmed by what we've had so far, given how long we waited for it

i'm kinda hoping something dramatic and unexpected is gonna happen, even though i'd like to see a happy ending
    I was kind of expecting more of a bang after Collide, but then maybe he's saving the best for last? I dunno. All I know is that tumblr needs to apply calm balm