The Homestuck Heap of the Heapers' Hangout Forum

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    And someone on Tumblr pointed out that the pipe organ console in Typheus' lair is, in particular, a calliope. (Note the pipes sticking out of the back...)

mindblown.gif
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I'm not looking back through eighty six pages of this thread and over ten thousand pages of Tv Tropes thread to find the headcanons on Classes and Aspects, so can somebody just post all of the cool headcanons or explanations, because other than basic "space lets you teleport things and shrink planets" and "time is time travel", I really don't get the classes and aspects.
  • edited 2014-11-27 04:04:50
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    OK, here are my theories in a nutshell, combined with confirmed descriptions vis à vis Calliope and others:

1. Active classes apply to the self or operate for personal gain; passive to others or to oneself in a manner inverse/converse to the active variant. Confirmed active classes: Prince, Thief, Witch, Lord. Confirmed passive classes: Seer, Rogue, Muse. Implicit active classes: Knight, Mage, Maid. Implicit passive classes: Heir, Sylph, Page.

2. Theories on the natures of pairs (active/passive):
    - Lord/Muse: Holds mastery over an aspect; gives others or allows mastery of an aspect.
    - Maid/Heir: Preserves oneself with an aspect and preserves that aspect; preserves others with an aspect and allows others to preserve the aspect. Fixes, tidies, takes custody, puts a house in order. Perhaps the mostpolarised normal classes.
    - Witch/Sylph: Heals or transforms an aspect or with it via direct intervention; allows others to be transformed or healed. May have a connection to creation or the "wellspring" of an element. Very powerful if fully realised.
    - Prince/Bard: Destroys (with) an aspect; incites the destruction of an aspect. The triumphant Prince conquers cities and slays dragons, but his "black fool" turns others to such pursuits. Dangerous players for different reasons.
    - Thief/Rogue: Takes from others; takes (from) for others. Very simple.
    - Knight/Page: Wields as a weapon, defends self with; wields like a shield, defends others with. Pages seem to take counsel from spirit-guides embodying their aspect in some way, while Knights have a different kind of emotional armour.
    - Mage/Seer: Gains working mystical knowledge of and from an aspect; permits others that knowledge. Tends to be associated with knowing the future for obvious reasons, although knowing things in general is the important part.

3. Some vague theorising about aspects:
    - Time: Self-explanatory.
    - Space: Ditto.
    - Light: The preordained path, luck, wisdom, truth, illumination, active energy.
    - Void: That which does not exist or is obscured, darkness, emptiness, potential energy.
    - Heart: The soul and the self. Emotion as it pertains to relationships between selves or souls.
    - Mind: Choices made in the mind, personal judgement, branching paths as possibilities, what can or cannot be known.
    - Life: Again, it's in the name, but it goes beyond simply being alive in the conventional sense. Consider Feferi and the dream-bubbles.
    - Doom: Ambiguous, but the symbol and what we have seen suggests the inevitability and duality of fate, impersonal judgement. Light is the lucky choice and Mind is the smart choice, but Doom is the absence of choice, the forced hand.
    - Hope: Belief, willpower and the desire for something to be true.
    - Rage: Quite possibly the flip-side to the zeal of Hope, in the form of an antipathetic fervour towards something. Rather than that which inspires allegiance or passion fuelling the manifestations of the aspect, it is disdain, terror, sorrow and loathing of some object or condition, whether righteous or insane.
    - Blood: Very ambiguous, but looking at what happens and how, this aspect seems to have implications of oneness and of sacrifice—blood brothers, a bleeding heart, bloodshed, body and blood. A hero of Blood bleeds for himself or others.
    - Breath: One of the most practical, but conversely one of the least symbolically clear. Spiritual freedom and acceptance seem to be implicit in the aspect where Blood deals in forging unity through struggle, much as Hope and Rage seem to deal in fervour and will.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    so John did the windy thing, breezed into the cartridge and got all of the candy dust out
    (2015 self)

Finally, someone made my headcanon voice for Eridan.
  • oh man im like 70 percent sure that that was the first homestuck fan thing i ever saw
    Octopimp did a good job with Eridan in LRH, too.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I will likely never find someone who fully shares my weird headcanon voices, but most of those nail the tone if not the qualities. I mean, the likelihood of finding a South African Eridan is slim, but the pathetic demeanour and childish, melodramatic timbre is there.
  • edited 2014-12-01 06:00:59
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    sup
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    My favorite Eridan voice was this Scottish guy who used to post on TVT.
  • upd8

sober roxy's typing style is so like mine when i'm talking w/ friends it's kinda uncanny tbh
  • also cute dialogue and stuff
    I wonder if the alternate Calliope will tell the alpha kids what happened to Roxy, the same way she told Jade what happened to John.
  • kill living beings
    so like is the entire comic in a doomed timeline or what

bah
  • Most likely, based on the random John deaths, there are now infinite random Roxy deaths occuring

Really, you can say this about everyone
    we used to talk about D34D D4V3S that way
  • Guys, what should be my thesis statement for my research paper on troll culture?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Incredibly vague.

What do you want to talk about in the paper? That's what I want to know.
  • Just the general culture of troll society.

Both Alternia and what little we know of Beforus.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Okay, yeah, but that's the thing. Papers need to be specific

Hone in on what you want to talk about. One aspect. And then build on it, so all the other aspects and elements branch off on it.
  • kill living beings
    yeah, crackers is right. an ethnography is not a paper.
    (2015 self)
    Talk about the specific relevance of the curvature of troll horns with regards to the economic structure of the last few decades.
  • The best way to approach a research paper on trolls would probably be to focus on how they relate to the real world concepts that inspired them. Discussing the hemospectrum as a reflection of real life race and class issues would give you a lot to talk about.
  • add a few more arrows, for me >_>
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Karkat drew that up before the prospect of cross-session romance had been broached, i guess.
    By extension, the Crosbytop isn't funny either.
  • kill living beings
    uh, did crosby rape anyone
    i don't think so.

By modern standards he was an abusive father.

i still think the Crosbytop is funny.  The Cosbytop, well, that's very unfortunate, but not something Andrew could have predicted.
  • edited 2014-12-05 01:51:14

crosby was an authoritarian father who meted out a good deal of corporal punishment

his kids had strong public disagreements on whether or not he crossed over into abusive territory

iunno of any more egregious things he did
    Yes, i should have specified that, sorry.
    I guess there's just a lot of folks out there who did horrible things and we've only found it out after the fact so it feels like a betrayal and now we've got all these things with their faces on them and we don't know what to do.
    Though it does seem like people say "Who's this douchebag?" whenever Bing shows up.
    They say that about everyone.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I think the Cosbytop is funny, less because of Cosby being funny/a good person/whatever, and more because of the sheer absurdity of it, like a lot of humor in HS.
  • edited 2014-12-05 05:06:56

i don't think anyone doesn't know what cosby did at this point, seems kinda weird to assume that miko doesn't?

like that seems kinda weird/condescending
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I assumed from the phrasing of her post that Miko thought it was lesser than it actually was, somehow.

I admit to being weird/condescending a lot of the time, though, so I'm probably wrong and I apologize for that. I'll try to be less knee-jerk about these things in the future.
  • like, the point is that the funniness of the Cosbytop is the absurdity of a laptop shaped like famed comedian Bill Cosby, his being a rapist has no effect on the joke being made.

It would ruin the joke if the joke centered around Bill Cosby's public persona, as that persona has now been fundamentally been altered, but as is Bill Cosby is incidental to what makes the joke function.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Even if it was a Stalintop or a Hitlertop, I still would have found it funny.
  • edited 2014-12-05 05:18:32
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Yeah, I can agree with that.

Honestly, I think the Matthew McConaughey jokes have aged worse than the Cosbytop. That's because those jokes were based specifically on his public persona, which has changed rather severely since then.
  • i don't think i've ever seen a movie with Matthew McConaughey in it
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    now he's in that true detective thing, isn't he?  that's the main thing i know about him
  • upd8, quite literally the worst animes i have ever seen.