The Homestuck Heap of the Heapers' Hangout Forum

Comments

• He TOLD them about crossing the streams...

It's funny that they're playing an MMO with the consorts from their game, though. Maybe they'll take it a step further and get the Ghostbuster NPCs into WoW or something.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    He's always been a little defensive about people/trolls criticizing the stuff he likes, I think. But definitely moreso now. I'd imagine that spending an entire year with the same people/salamanders would contribute to that.
  • edited 2012-03-21 00:24:31
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    This intermission is fun so far, but just pondering that...three whole years. Three years ago, I had just discovered the TVT forums a few months prior, had only first met Ally, my brother was still free, and I still lived over in Dale City. A LOT CAN HAPPEN IN THREE YEARS. 

So...thinking about spending all that time cooped up on the meteor and the ship, it leads me here:

I wonder what will end up being the equivalent of Strong Sad showing up and ranting about wood davers. XD
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Okay, this pic on Skaia. The art is cute....but I have to admit, the source blog, its reasons for existing and the AU it puts forth all kind of piss me off -- why bother making a cutesy AU like that if all you're doing is trying to tell Hussie he sucks and to stop killing characters? If you're going to flounce, just DO IT and stop whining.

And guess what: NOW she says she's "sick of Homestuck" and she's finally flouncing. HUZZAH.

I realise the person in question is a bit of a drama llama and has gotten in trouble on TVT for much the same thing before, but I had no idea it was this bad.
  • edited 2012-03-21 04:04:28
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Still, though, I had to vent about it somewhere. Maybe these things just bother me too easily.
    Eh, rolling your eyes hurts if you do it too much. I should just go one to bed like I said I was going to do, oh, an hour and a half ago at least.
  • edited 2012-03-21 05:36:15
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    People loved and hated that kid for Harmonystuck.

It was sweet and adorable and blah blah blah people can make what they want.

But it was pointless in its defiance, and empty in its reaction.

We loved Slick and Snowman for being murderous and vicious, just as we hated Eridan and Gamzee for the same reasons. Taking that away deprived what was unique about them.
  • edited 2012-03-21 12:22:50
    Indeed. And just because things went SHITHIVE MAGGOTS in A5A2 doesn't mean it won't eventually get better. I know, I know, AH is writing for the archive-bingers and the books and so the waiting is always the hardest part, but come on. Problem Sleuth had a happy ending, I don't see why Homestuck wouldn't. (And if he's doing what I think he's doing and pulling ideas from Final Fantasy VI, EarthBound and MOTHER3 for the last two acts, it'll be one of the biggest tearjerkers in webcomic history.)
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I'm not sure people hated Eridan and Gamzee for being murderous and vicious, I think people hated Eridan because he was just generally unlikable (seems to me he was written this way on purpose), and Gamzee because he murdered some fan-favorite characters. 
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    People did like Eridan, before his betrayal.

In fact, the popular image of Eridan was a loveable, pathetic, unlucky-in-love loser, and many fans empathized with him.

It was much the same with Gamzee, except the image was that off the harmless druggie best friend.
    Eridan wasn't one of my favorites but I always liked him. Compared to Gamzee, I felt that his breakdown made a lot more sense and had much better setup.
  • Compared to Gamzee, I felt that his breakdown made a lot more sense and had much better setup.
    I like Eridan more than the other homicidal trolls for that reason. Vriska's character jumps around from sympathetically evil to card-carrying evil, which always jarred me. Gamzee's villainy is best compared to a monster from a horror movie; the buildup is impressive and frightening, but once it starts coming out of the shadows, it starts looking kind of cruddy.

• The next time someone asks me to explain what this comic is about, I'll have to go with "a major quest to make universes out of frogs".
  • edited 2012-03-22 09:31:33
  • edited 2012-03-22 17:43:28
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I actually like almost all the canonic-hinted ships, this one as well.
  • edited 2012-03-22 20:15:46
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

That reminds me that I found John's comment about pushing Karkat down a flight of friendship stairs pretty funny as Karkat would probably consider that flirting or even overt courtship. 
    Cybernetic Squid: it was viable not long ago, it can still be viable, unlike some others.

I do, however, like Terezi and Dave just as much.
    I see Terezi and Dave as being friends more than anything.

• edited 2012-03-23 13:56:42
    Just saw the latest updates.

It's a callback to this pesterlog in the [o] intermission, as well as Karkat's incident with the bucket in A6I1.

CG: OR ROSE'S ADULT WOMAN LUSUS. MAYBE A DEAD WOMAN SWEEPS YOUR SENIOR IS MORE YOUR CUP OF SAUCE, SINCE APPARENTLY YOU ARE "NOT A HOMOSEXUAL", WHATEVER THAT EVEN MEANS, NOT EVEN TO SPEAK OF YOUR RACE'S ABSURD QUALMS WITH THE NOTION OF INCEST, WHICH AGAIN, STILL SORT OF WONDERING HOW THAT CAN EVEN BE A THING. 
    EB: er... 
    CG: IS THAT YOUR GAME, EGBERT. HAVE YOU HAD YOUR EYE ON MADAME LALONDE, AND YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR A CONVENIENT RESURRECTION OPPORTUNITY TO BUST OUT YOUR MOST PASSIONATE SMOOCHMOTIFS KEPT IN RESERVE? AND IN FRONT OF HER DEAD FEMALE "OFFSPRING" NO LESS! JUST SHAMEFUL. 
    EB: well... 
    EB: she is a very pretty lady, but that seems like a really inappropriate thing to think about, karkat. 
    CG: YOU DON'T SAY! 
    CG: WHAT ARE WE EVEN TALKING ABOUT ANYMORE 

HUSSSSIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    And as for the people on the TVT MSPA thread saying it's Too Soon, well, I think the timing is great. We just saw John practically saying he's asexual...and then this happens. XD
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    I don't think you can say someone is asexual because they think romance is an unnecessary distraction from universe creation. Especially a 14 year old who might not have even gone through puberty.
    Well, true, but the point is, it's a study in contrasts.
  • And the punk has a name. 

And an awfully Jack Noir like approach to things.
    Hmmm, something pointed out on the MSPA forums: If Skaia is responsible for changing the destinations of the meteors after a scratch, but the pre-Scratch trolls were created in the post-Scratch session, then how did Skaia know to reconfigure the portals? Either English has some way of tricking Skaia into reconfiguring the portals, or the good Doctor is lying -- again -- and the pre-Scratch trolls never actually scratched their session...they simply died, and what the Sufferer was seeing was dream bubbles.

• I like Meenah.

She likes sta8s too. ::::D
  • edited 2012-03-24 15:51:12

"Her name appears to come from ARADIA, a goddess and witch from Pagan folklore and MEGIDDO, the place where a number of religions believe the final battle will take place (the word Armageddon is derived from the Hebrew name for Mt. Megiddo). The word Megido also contains the Japanese word "Meido," or "maid," fitting her title as Maid of Time and her ancestor's role as an "Asian schoolgirl." Furthermore, the word "Maid" is concealed backwards within her name (Aradia Megido). Megido is also an almighty class spell from the Shin Megami Tensei series of video games."

That's...rather impressive...

• It's 4:20 somewhere.
    I thought that the troll names were fan suggestions.
  • They were. The maid thing is probably a coincidence, since the "Maid of Time" title was mentioned before the name was created, although it might've been given to her as a result of that.
  • edited 2012-03-24 17:24:26

That would explain a lot. The names all seem a little too well thought out to be the creation of one person.
  • Yeah, he reopened the "ask" section of the MSPA forums at the beginning of Hivebent specifically to get names for the trolls.
    Is that Terezi? 
    Looks like it, yeah. She has her smelloscope out!

And now we are seeing smelling what happened to her, here.
    And we have a proper name for Nerd Mindfang! Yay!
  • Those upd8s. So gr8.

Aranea is cool and I love her name.
    In the book Charlotte's Web, Aranea is the name of one of Charlotte's children that stay behind with Wilbur while her other children find new homes.

I was wondering why that name sounded familiar! The movie version was one of my favorites when I was little. 
    Okay, another thing: How can Aranea predate troll civilization by billions of sweeps if she's pre-Scratch? Either someone got their wires crossed, or Doc Scratch is still fucking lying and there never was a scratch -- she's part of the Session of 48!
  • edited 2012-03-26 09:03:42
    It's 4:20 somewhere.
    So there's Aranea and Vriska... Aranea as the Marquise wrote the journal Vriska acquired thousands of sweeps prior. Then there's Aranea as the dead super ancestor teen, Vriska as Vriska, and pre-Scratch Vriska as Aranea's genetic ancestor.

Before the troll's scratch, the only way I can think of to reconcile this without introducing new rules or a third (fifth?) generation of trolls would be to have teen Aranea as the pre-scratch version who played Sgrub be placed on the timeline by the meteors that far back, much like they placed Dirk and Roxy hundreds of years forward.