sunn wolf talks about the world cup

Comments

• algeria are parking the bus now, i dont blame them, but idk how much of a good game it will be if we have an hour of 10 algerian men behind the ball
  • edited 2014-06-17 13:03:44
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    a 1-0 lead is vulnerable, i wouldn't bank on them being satisfied with that
  • proof, there, that a 1-0 lead is vulnerable

the game was getting kinda dull so i wasnt really watching it, and just switched over in time to see fellaini's afro scoring a lovely header
  • 2-1 to belgium. that's been coming.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    very vulnerable

this is what happens when you try to sit pretty like that
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I support the ball over any and all teams.
    Brazil v Mexico was disappointing.

Brazil were sloppy, Mexico's defence was tight and shut down any attempt at a goal, but both teams played a fairly scrappy and unattractive game.
  • i watched the first half before i had to go cook dinner, it was sort of engaging despite the lack of goals and scrappy defending, and Ochoa made some spectacular saves
  • russia are playing south korea. it's 0-0

what just happened sums up the match quite well: the koreans played a pretty passing move, park chu-young headed it to son heung-min, who controlled it beautifully, beat his man neatly and then promptly whumped it into row Z

match needs a goal to happen sometime soon
  • this game is so boring the brazilian crowd burst into excited yelps at the slightest suggestion of something happening
    finally

about time
  • ahahahaha i love a massive goalkeeper error, me

1-0 korea. akinfeev haslooked shaky in the Russian goal all night, a korean hits it from range and akinfeev basically throws it into his own net. brilliant stuff
  • russia equalise

this game is getting tasty now
    Gorgeous, gorgeous equalizer from Cahill within one minute of Robben's goal.

One all.
    Spain lookin slightly screwed

They're losing to Chile 1-0, if they lose this game they're fucked
  • i hope spain die because it would be great
    Spain look very screwed
  • hahahahaha

fuck spain
  • i'm hoping for spain's defence to let in five goals again because i would love it
  • spain are going to lose 5-0 to chile and then tim cahill will score a hat trick of diving headers against them in the next match and it will be wonderful
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    ;_;
  • edited 2014-06-18 16:57:05
    Bye bye, Spain.

And the unfortunate Australia, who've played well, but not well enough.
    Well, this game changed fast.

Was 0-0 at half time, end to end play but nothing happening, then suddenly we've had 2 Colombian goals in the space of just over 5 minutes.
    2-1.  Ivory Coast still in this.
  • i have run the brazil 2014 world cup thru a very sophisticated simulator (football manager 2014) and i can exclusively tell you the final will be, uh, belgium versus norway???

what
    COME ON ENGLAND
    That was a very narrow escape.
    Ah shit.

That was a great run, and a perfect header.

And our defence were nowhere.
    Oof.

I felt that.
    FUCK YEAH
    Rooney equalizes

fucking finally

yes

fuck yes
    Balls.
  • it's going to be fun watching us also lose to costa rica
  • i think, really, what counts, at this moment, is that i can truly say that i am proud to be Not Spanish.
    blah

i can't stand being at the mercy of other teams' results

good match tho
  • italy vs costa rica is on, 0-0

if italy do not win then england are out of the world cup

however england are going to be out of the world cup anyway because we are bad at football

so i would like costa rica to win

so obviously things are going to go the one direction i dont want and it will be a boring draw which sucks
  • edited 2014-06-20 13:55:27
    Nope.

1-0 to Costa Rica.

Bye bye, England.
  • well. at least rich coast has qualified. i like them. hopefully they go far. they seem to be playing completely without fear, it is great to watch
  • i am also going to make some bold and cool predictions now that we are starting to see how things are panning out.

- france who have been very quietly absolutely pasting everyone else in their group, are going to get to the semi-finals at least, or further, because cabaye is good and cool

- germany despite their very good team are going to get knocked out in the semi finals like every other year, probably by france.

- chile are really good and will do well, getting to the quarter finals at least, quite possibly the semi-finals

- everyones favourite Tournament Dark Horses belgium are going to get out of their group and then get knocked out very quickly. no further than the quarter finals, and in this scenario we are assuming portugal bottle it and the USA qualifies from their group (a distinct ppossibility)

- argentina are bad and will do badly, especially if messi gets injured. quarter-finals and that's only because the runner-up of group E will be a bad team. however i would love it if ecuador knocked them out which is possible.

- the netherlands are not as good as people think and will not get further than the quarter finals, and are in fact liable to being knocked out by brazil in the first knockout round.

- the semi finals will have one thoroughly unexpected team, which i am calling to be one of mexico, croatia, colombia or costa rica who have all looked very very tidy so far

- brazil are probably going to win it again which will be boring and fuck neymar, but only if the netherlands beat chile (thats going to be a fucking cracking game btw), otherwise chile will knock them out in the first knockout round.
  • those are definitely some bold predictions
  • germany - ghana is 0-0, not a very exciting game but an intriguing one, not at all boring. ghana are dealing with germany very very well. it's weird how theyre so tactically organised and composed now when they were so tactically naive against the USA

it will also remain to be seen how well ghana are keeping their defensive shape by the end of the match. sadly i will miss it because im going to the pub (probably one that isnt showing the football)
  • edited 2014-06-21 18:23:28
    And it ended 2-2, surprisingly enough.  Towards the end Ghana were still having a really good go at it, shame they didn't score again.  Also Joachim Low is a massive prick.

And Argentina beat Iran 1-0, thanks to a late goal by Messi during stoppage time.  I felt kinda sorry for Iran; they kept pace with Argentina really well and Haghighi performed best out of everyone on the field.  Messi's goal was brilliant tho, and I would like to see him taking Maradona's place as most celebrated Argentine player.
    Meanwhile Nigeria are 1-0 up thanks to a cracking goal by Odemwingie, although Dzeko had a goal disallowed earlier due to yet another wrong offside call.
  • I watched the sportball one time

one fucking time

and this happens
  • Apparently if the US loses to Germany then the best chance to advance is Portugal and Ghana tying?
  • edited 2014-06-22 22:29:48
    Exciting match, too, with Portugal equalizing in the last minute of added time.  It got a bit scrappy and foul-happy during the last 25 minutes, but nothing truly awful, I'm happy to note.
    Wilhelm said:

Apparently if the US loses to Germany then the best chance to advance is Portugal and Ghana tying?

That would leave Germany with 7 points, America with 4 points, and Portugal and Ghana with 2 points each, so yes.

If Germany beat America, and if either Portugal or Ghana then wins, then it will depend on who has the greatest goal difference.  So if you must lose to Germany, you wanna lose by as little as possible, basically.
  • ghana could yet knock the USA out again, by letting in a shitload of goals against portugal. or scoring a shitload of goals against them, which is more likely, given that half of the entire nation of portugal is injured and ronaldo never brings his best to a world cup

but yeah i think your best bet is to be well-organised in defence like ghana were, if you can keep your shape you can make it hard for germany. a 0-0 draw would put you through no matter what

hello portugal

why dont you take a seat...
  • netherlands 2-0 chile

gonna be fun watching chile beat brazil in the next round